Colin Cowherd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin Cowherd

He said this morning that the easiest way to determine who is going to the Super Bowl was to eliminate those who won't.

Went on to say that the last 10 teams that won the Super Bowl had dominant defenses or defenses which were "hot" at the right time. The Rams being the exception and they had a hot offense.

Needless to say he tossed the Rams out in the first five.. the easiest choices.

Anyone who is an EPSN insider can access the full story on the ESPN site.... and maybe share it here?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Re: Colin Cowherd

Originally posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    He said this morning that the easiest way to determine who is going to the Super Bowl was to eliminate those who won't.

Went on to say that the last 10 teams that won the Super Bowl had dominant defenses or defenses which were "hot" at the right time. The Rams being the exception and they had a hot offense.

Anyone who is an EPSN insider can access the full story on the ESPN site.... and maybe share it here?
    Unfortunately, I can't share the full story as I'm not an insider, but I did hear that segment of the "Herd" as I drove into work this morning. Usually, I like what Colin has to say. I don't always agree with him, but I like his show for the most part. It's either him, or that jerk TJ SImmers and his daughter in the morning. No thanks.

Anyway, I took exception to his comment about the Rams, and how they were the single "exception" of the last 10 SB champs, and how quickly he dismissed the Rams as contenders. First of all, in 1999, the Rams had a decent defense. Not great, but pretty decent. ..and using his criteria for elimination, why not eliminate the Colts then too? Their D last year wasn't awe inspiring. But I didn't hear him throw them out. These "experts" kill me. When has one ever been right?

..oh well, I've got to get back to watching my Angels beat the snot out of the Red Sox.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -08-08-2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I heard this too and just shook my head. He threw the Rams out in the first five but kept the Cards who havnt proven anything recently. The Rams finished 8-8 with a crappy defense and has improved its personell on defense yet the Cards will be better??? I put more stake in JT the brick who said the other night he is excited about what the Rams have done and thinks they can make some noise. He also included the Whiners but excluded the Cards. Excluding the Rams in the first five was rediculous.
      Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

I didn't hear anything after that, was picking up supplies for today's job and then changed the station to Glenn Beck.

I guess I didn't want to hear the rest...lol

Anyone know what happened with Dan Patrick.. the early afternoon show stinks on ESPN radio now, IMHO. Patrick was time delayed so as to not intefere with Rome but was bteer than Rome in my book. Outside of Olberman's political rants....
        RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

The whole "teams with a good defense, or one that got hot" thing made his argument look silly. The Colts were an offensive team. Yes, their defense played better in the playoffs, but didn't the '99 Rams hold the Bucs and Titans to a combined 22 points? Wouldn't that be a defense that "got hot" in the playoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
            The whole "teams with a good defense, or one that got hot" thing made his argument look silly. The Colts were an offensive team. Yes, their defense played better in the playoffs, but didn't the '99 Rams hold the Bucs and Titans to a combined 22 points? Wouldn't that be a defense that "got hot" in the playoffs?
            The RAMS 1999 defense ranked 6th overall???

I would say that's better than average.
            sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by ramsanddodgers View Post

The Rams weren't an exception.

Their defense both years was legitimate.

Comment

Originally posted by z.nrd View Post
                The Rams weren't an exception.

Their defense both years was legitimate.

I agree. In fact, I think there's merit to the argument that the Rams' offense was "so hot", that they would score often and quickly, forcing the defense to handle a larger load than average. The defense was often tired and often up against very aggressive (ie. 'desperate') opposing offenses.

Then again, we're all preaching to the choir here. Our boys will prove us right-

Comment

Colin Cowherd is an idiot,try listening to this a** for more than 15 minutes,it will drive you crazy,I would rather listen to anyone of you guys over him.I don't put alot of stock in anything he says.

Comment

The year we went the super bowl in 2001 I believe we had a top 5 D.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                      Stuart Scott Dies At Age 49
                      by r8rh8rmike
                      Stuart Scott dies at age of 49

Updated: January 4, 2015, 1:15 PM ET
                      By Steve Wulf | ESPN.com

Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor at ESPN, died Sunday morning at the age of 49.

Among the features of the new ESPN studio in Bristol is a wall of catchphrases made famous by on-air talent over the years. An amazing nine of them belong to one man -- from his signature "Boo-Yah!" to "As cool as the other side of the pillow" to "He must be the bus driver cuz he was takin' him to school."

That man is Stuart Scott, and his contributions to the sports lexicon are writ large. But they are only one aspect of his legacy. When he passed away, he left behind so much more. He inspired his colleagues with his sheer talent, his work ethic and his devotion to his daughters, Taelor, 19, and Sydni, 15. He defied convention and criticism to help bring this network into a new century. He spoke to the very athletes he was talking about with a flair and a style that ESPN president John Skipper says, "changed everything."

"He didn't just push the envelope," says sports radio host and former ESPN anchor Dan Patrick. "He bulldozed the envelope."

Scott was remembered through an outpouring of tributes by athletes, colleagues and fans on Twitter and statements from his alma mater, the University of North Carolina, which said that "his legacy will live on in many ways -- as a friend, a son, a father, a professional and forever, a Tar Heel," and President Barack Obama.

"I will miss Stuart Scott. Twenty years ago, Stu helped usher in a new way to talk about our favorite teams and the day's best plays. For much of those twenty years, public service and campaigns have kept me from my family -- but wherever I went, I could flip on the TV and Stu and his colleagues on SportsCenter were there. Over the years, he entertained us, and in the end, he inspired us -- with courage and love. Michelle and I offer our thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and colleagues," the President said.

Moments of silence were held at some sporting events Sunday, including the NFL wild-card game between the Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts.

Scott saved his best for his last year on the air. At the ESPYS on July 16, shortly before his 49th birthday and following another round of cancer surgery, Stuart accepted the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance with strength, humor, grace and these eloquent words: "When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live."

So while the grief is deep at ESPN over the death of Stuart Scott, so is our gratitude. He was as popular on campus as he was in the airports he passed through and on the sidelines he worked over the last 22 years. He brought...
                      -01-04-2015, 11:28 AM
                    • Ram Dragoon
                      Ax day...heads will roll
                      by Ram Dragoon
                      Ok, its the end of the 2017 season for some 20 teams or so the culling begins

Lots to go over and the only non NFC-W worth mentioning is the Oakland firing of their HC... Rumor has it John My-Mouth-Run'th-Over Gruden is slated to take over. Sure enough Jack Del Rio made some stupid mistakes in 2017 but last season, he was one leg break away from making the Super Bowl. Given the lesson learned and the pieces the Raiders have (need more help on defense) to go after Gruden--REALLY! Gruden's Super Bowl win was with a team Tony Dungy created...less everyone forget Gruden didn't have a job for long with the Bucs coming off that Super Bowl win.

NFC-W

Squawks/Whiners/Cards in re-build mode

By and large those teams got "old" and didn't periodically remake themselves. That is where the Squawks/Cards mostly find themselves. Yes they got mileage with C. Palmer and Fritz or Sherman and Gram along with a host of p-layers and those chickens have come home to roost. The Whiners saw the character flaws in whom they built their team with under Harbaugh setting them back and the Whiner's paying the price still.

Problem with the Cards was and is Arians...he never really planned for a day when the Cards no longer had him running the show. When he took on Carson Palmer, he should have been looking for the future of the team to groom and develop. Carrol with the Squawks was that he hit on success with a solid secondary and one hell of a pick in the 3rd round to get a QB. There after its been a slow decline. Now both teams are almost at scratch a whole new team

The Rams found gold by getting rid of the Old and bringing in then New--a HC that is. Fisher might have had an eye for talent but never knew how to use that talent. The question going forth for McVay is does he have an eye for talent as well as being able to use it. It might have been a wiser course of action for the Squawks to send Carrol down the road. A 66 year old HC needing to re-create an OL, revamp a defense and to get play makers is a huge task even for the young--and haven't even discussed who to make it all work. But since the Squawk are going to keep a fossil at the helm, to acquire his replacement to take over duties and part of the Squawk re-build would be their best move.

Cards--oh boy---sucks to be them...just pick a spot and you will find a need

The real question for the 49Whiners is how can they put together what they have in the short term while they are fixing their offense and defense. Little bits here and there but not complete in those areas where they have something to work with. My guess they fix the offense first and see if they can find lightning in a bottle for a defense...
                      -01-01-2018, 04:14 PM
                    • rammiser
                      Not everyone disrespecting the Rams.
                      by rammiser
                      In this months ESPN the magazine they actually picked us finishing second in the division at 8-8. I think they had the Seasquirts at 10-6 and the Cards and Whiners both at 6-10. So there is a little love for the Rams at ESPN. I'll take flying under the radar all day long. I did have to read it twice to make sure I didnt pick up an old issue though lol. I really think just the new attitude is worth a few hard fought wins. Last year our last three losses were only by a combined 8 points, so there is some hope on the horizon. Actually in those 3 games Bulger was 57-100 for 664 yds 3 td's and 1 int. Not too bad for a washed up qb. Just think with a little help from the defense and o-line and close games like that could become wins.
                      -09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
                    • Nick
                      Disappointed by ESPN's Outside the Lines
                      by Nick
                      I was watching an episode of Outside the Lines tonight, and their primary topic was the Poston brothers. First, I didn't know it was pronounced Poe-stun, so I guess you learn something new everyday. But secondly, I think the show really chickened out in their approach to interviewing the two brothers. I think it was Carl who did most of the actual interview despite the segment being filled with office shots of both, but he continued to talk about fair market value, and it was disappointing for the reporter to not investigate whether their clients were actually getting what was fair.

Maybe it's just because I've been watching Chris Matthews on Hardball for the past week, but I guess I was expecting some more confrontational questions that actually forced the Postons to defend their position rather than just explain it. For instance, I would have loved to hear them defend their classifying their asking price for Kellen Winslow as fair market value considering he hasn't played a down of NFL football and they're asking for a contract that would make him the highest paid tight end ever.

On top of that, the Postons even had the nerve to say that, while they had no proof of this, they believe other agents take kickbacks from teams if the agents agree to a more team-friendly deal (how ESPN can allow the Postons to make such a statement without being more aggressive in challenging the Postons' negotiating tactics bothers me). Randy Mueller said this was ridiculous and it's nothing he's ever seen, but someone else they had on speculated that the kickbacks weren't monetary or tangible but just generally keeping in good relations with the team.

Regardless, my impression was one of disappointment after watching this segment. I thought ESPN really had the chance to talk to these guys and try to expose them in a more national setting for their ridiculous contract demands, but instead played a very neutral position that didn't challenge the Postons at all. Perhaps that was their intent, I don't know. I just would have wanted much more.
                      -08-09-2004, 12:50 AM
                    • jjigga3000
                      PUTTING THE SLEEPER TO BED (LONG READ) but good read
                      by jjigga3000
                      PUTTING THE SLEEPER TO BED.
                      By Bill Simmons
                      Page 2
                      www.espn.com

After five weeks of the 2006 NFL season, we've only learned 10 things:

1. If you're a QB, and you blow out a knee or smack your body up in a motorcycle accident, definitely take your time coming back. No rush. Seriously.

2. The Bears have a chance to be historically good.

3. The Raiders have a chance to be historically bad.

4. Drew Bledsoe has added a degree of difficulty for blowing big games. In the old days, he'd just throw a back-breaking interception at the worst possible time. But since everyone knows that's coming now, he added a fascinating wrinkle: An improbable play to throw us off and make us forget he's about to blow the game (like last week's fourth-and-18 bomb to Glenn), followed by the back-breaking interception that becomes doubly back-breaking because of the preceding events.

WEEK 5 REDUX
                      Last week's picks found me on the wrong side of three killer gambling moments:

1. With the Pats giving 10 and headed for a push, Maroney gets a game-clinching first down inside Miami's 20, only nobody tackles him, so he keeps going and it looks like he's going to score ... NO! He gets pushed out at the 4-yard line. That's followed by three Brady kneels.

2. The Browns are getting 8.5 points and trailing by 11. Fourth down, 15 seconds left. Instead of taking one more crack at the end zone, Romeo Crennel sends out the FG team for the cover. This actually happened.

3. The killer of killers: Getting 6.5 points, the Lions are trailing by two at midfield and it's fourth-and-10 with less than 90 seconds to play. Kitna scrambles, two guys pull him down ... and as he's falling, he flips it right to a Vikings lineman, who scrambles untouched for a clinching TD and the cover. I hate gambling.

5. You're not winning a Super Bowl with Brett Favre or Steve McNair. They're both washed up. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.

6. San Diego has the most talent in the AFC. Unfortunately, the Chargers also have an uptight coach who runs his team about as loosely as Ted Knight handled his daughters in "Too Close For Comfort."

(Note: Sadly, that show was canceled 21 years ago, making the reference Bermanian for everyone younger than 30. Normally I avoid doing this, but I have two defenses: First, it's the perfect comparison. You really had to see the show. And second, Ted Knight was a comedic genius. So I'm standing by the reference. Now if I only had a clip of me and Glenn Frey standing outside the Hotel California. Back to the column.)

7. If you're getting points with the Lions on the road and covering in the final minute, and the Lions have the ball, and they're driving, and the only way you could ever lose is if Jon Kitna fumbles a touchdown, throws an interception...
                      -10-13-2006, 11:26 AM
                    Working...
                    X