• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Day of 2004 Campaign In the Books

First Day of 2004 Campaign In the Books
    Wednesday, July 28, 2004

By NICK WAGONER
    Staff Writer

Adjusting to life in the NFL can be difficult for any rookie. There are possible pitfalls at every corner, from managing their newfound riches to setting the alarm correctly.

Such is life for Rams’ tailback Steven Jackson. All of those worries were certainly on his mind the past few days. Jackson signed a five-year contract Sunday and arrived at camp via the rookie bus on Tuesday. All of those other worries went away today, as St. Louis held its first two practices of training camp.

The Rams kicked off their first practice at 8:10 a.m., finishing at about 10:30. The afternoon session started at 4 and ended about 5:30. Head coach Mike Martz said he was pleased with the tempo of the practices, but there isn’t much evaluation that can be done after one day.

“We have a long ways to go,” Martz said. “The effort was terrific, but as we all know, effort isn’t enough. After the first day, there isn’t a whole lot to tell you. Their heads will be swimming here (in) another three days.”

Jackson had no problems waking up in time for the morning practice. He showed up on time and stretched with the rest of the team. The thing that caught his attention, however, was what could be the most difficult adjustment for a rookie to make, the speed of the game.

It can be easy for a young player to grow accustomed to dominating slower and less talented players. Jackson knows all about that, for the former Oregon State star dominated the Pacific 10 Conference. Jackson led the conference with 1,545 rushing yards and 2,015 total yards.

It didn’t take long for Jackson to realize that things won’t be so easy at the game’s highest level.

“It’s definitely faster,” Jackson said. “Right now, it’s fast and it will just take a little time to get used to.”

By most accounts, the first day of camp was like any other. The Rams went through the usual run of drills, ranging from the one-on-one battles between offensive and defensive linemen to 11-on-11 exercises.

Martz said the team starts most camps by getting reacquainted with the basics of the playbooks and techniques. The only real change from past seasons was the setup of the practice schedule. Martz said the idea for the additional time between practices came from some of the veteran players.

“I just want to try it,” Martz said. “If we don’t like it, we will change it back.”

While Jackson was busy adjusting to the speed and pace of the players and practices, a veteran was sinking his teeth into the beginning of one of his favorite times of the year. Safety Aeneas Williams, who is entering his 15th season, said he enjoys the time he spends at training camp.

“If you don’t focus on so much the tedious and monotony of it, it’s enjoyable to me,” Williams said. “I’m like one of the strange creatures out here.”

The real fun for Williams begins in one day. Martz said the team would practice in full pads, as opposed to today’s outfit of shoulder pads and helmets, starting Thursday.

Re: First Day of 2004 Campaign In the Books

I was there for the first practice and I believe Martz was being cautious in his assessment of the day's output. They started early, put in a full practice, and there was no sign that any of them were having any trouble getting it in gear. Some older veterans showed signs of needing to work out a few kinks, but other than that, all went well.

Steven took a page from Warner's book from 2000, making a point to get something signed in time for camp, not to mention being enough of a class act to take the bus instead of negotiating Illinois' roads in a flashy sportscar. (I did notice a rash of Brink-truck-looking Hummer2s in town the day before, should've known they'd be occupied by Rams.) In fact, I think this is the first year in some time that all draft picks were signed in time for camp. I was very encourage by that. Now if Pace could just have pulled his head out of his hiney long enough to see that these young whippersnappers were putting his hold-out to shame.

As for Aeneas, it's always a treat to see him at camp. He always has a smile and is eager to get going, regardless of the kinks. I'm glad he's still with us.

They used Jeff Wilkins as QB for some defensive training...catching interceptions and such I believe. Never thought I'd ever feel like telling him he needs to work on his arm. LOL (fyi, he was a QB in college so the role wasn't a stretch for him)

If weather holds out, I'll be back out there tomorrow morning.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
      The Journey Begins: Rams camp opens
      by RamWraith
      By Jim Thomas
      Of the Post-Dispatch
      07/27/2004
      MACOMB, Ill. - Armed with air mattresses, extra pillows and assorted creature comforts, Rams players arrived for training camp Tuesday with a mixture of dread and delight.

Dread for the regimen of two-a-days that begins anew this morning on the practice fields of Western Illinois University. Delight in the renewal of friendships and the anticipation of the season that lies ahead.

"Camp is camp," linebacker Robert Thomas said. "It's the toughest thing you go through during the football season. You'd rather be at home, rather be in your own bed. But it brings us together as a team, through something that you've got to fight through together."

"It's time," said Arlen Harris, who will try to make the switch from tailback to fullback this season. "Sitting at home, you can only work out so much. So I was ready to go."

Harris spent part of his summer in the tropics of Aruba. Thomas went boating on Lake of the Ozarks. Defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson hopped into the family truck with his wife, daughter and niece, and headed for Christmas, Indiana.

"It's an area where it's Christmas every day of the year," Jackson said. "We stayed at the Santa Claus Inn."

But as of Tuesday night, the residence for 80 Rams players is the Thompson Hall dormitory, known for its frigid air conditioning and lumpy mattresses.

"Probably the worst thing about staying up here is the beds that we have to sleep in," long snapper Chris Massey said. "Too short, too narrow, not too comfy."

Massey made the drive from St. Louis with 67.

"They closed some exit I usually take on 67, so that made us go nine extra miles," Gordon said. "We took out that map. But we figured it out."

Safety Adam Archuleta made a fashion statement as he lugged his things into Thompson - he was sporting a blue and white headband.

"I just felt like rockin' a headband today," Archuleta said, somewhat defensively.

The Rams open practice this morning with all seven draft picks signed and on the field. Only franchise player Orlando Pace, in the midst of another contract stalemate, will be missing in action.

"We've got an Orlando watch out - out there on the highway," coach Mike Martz joked. "When 'Big O' gets here, we'll love him to death. I understand what he's going through. I really do. It's hard for coaches. But it is what it is. We're not going to change it. Why worry about it?"

Center Dave Wohlabaugh, still feeling the effects of offseason hip surgery, will be the player most limited in practice.

"I think we have to be very careful with him," Martz said. "We will piecemeal...
      -07-28-2004, 06:34 AM
    • RamDez
      Rams find Camp Macomb was much cooler than usual
      by RamDez
      Rams find Camp Macomb was much cooler than usual
      By Jim Thomas
      Of the Post-Dispatch
      Saturday, Aug. 21 2004

For the Rams, Camp Macomb '04 is best summed up by one lingering snapshot. It
      was Thursday morning, on what turned out to be the last day of camp for the
      team at Western Illinois University.

And there, doing his thing in the Rams secondary, was No. 35, Aeneas Williams .
      . . in sweatpants!

Think about that for a moment. Training camp. Mid-August. Midwest. Sweatpants.

So much for the dog days of August. In their 10 summers since the move to St.
      Louis, this has been the Rams' coolest training camp.

"By far," head trainer Jim Anderson said. "I think we had maybe two (hot) days.
      We had that one Friday that was kind of in the low 90s and pretty humid a
      couple of weeks ago."

And a couple of days where the temperature may have reached the mid-80s. But
      that was about it.

"In past summers, it's been upper 90s and even up in the 100s on a few days. We
      just didn't have anything near that this year. Other than those (few) days, you
      couldn't have asked for a better camp."

Gone are the days when tight end Troy Drayton collapsed in the dinner line
      because of dehydration. When offensive tackle Ryan Tucker sweated off 10 to 12
      pounds per practice. Or when Anderson's training staff would work overtime
      after practice administering IVs to restore fluids.

"There were times when we'd do 10-12 IVs after a practice on a hot day,"
      Anderson said. "We didn't do one IV this year - not one. That's just pretty
      much unheard of for this part of the country."

The weather, says middle linebacker Robert Thomas, "has just been a blessing."

Some days, the Macomb weather was almost too cool, according to wide receiver
      Torry Holt.

"It's kind of tough in the afternoons when it's cool like that," Holt said. "It
      takes a minute for the muscles to get going, and strains and different things
      like that can happen."

Despite the resort weather, Camp Macomb '04 was hardly a, pardon the
      expression, country club.

On that same cool morning last Thursday, defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson was
      dripping sweat when he spoke to reporters after practice. "Well, with Bill
      Kollar, he's going to find a way to get you wet," Jackson said. "That's not an
      issue."

Kollar is the Rams' defensive line coach.

"Camp is still rough no matter where it is," Jackson said. "But the weather can
      make it either extra rough, or tolerable. So this year, it was pretty tolerable
      with the weather."

-08-22-2004, 01:06 AM
    • Curly Horns
      Martz Gives Team a Timeout
      by Curly Horns
      Tuesday, August 2, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
      Senior Writer

With five and a half days of training camp in the books, the Rams took an opportunity to give back to the fans Tuesday morning when the entire team strolled to the sidelines and signed autographs for about 10 minutes.

In return for their time, the players were rewarded with the afternoon off. After a short morning practice that ended after about an hour and 15 minutes, the team will have a couple short meetings before being given the night off.

St. Louis survived its first rash of injuries with nothing serious. A little back stiffness here and some hamstring tightness there is about all the damage done thus far. But more than any minor injury, coach Mike Martz said the reason for allowing the team some extra time off is for what it has done on the field.

“We have been (playing) five days now and I am really pleased with the work,” Martz said. “Actually, we have had less practice time on the field, (but) we have got more in and are doing it at a higher level than we have ever done before. It’s scary to do this because you don’t know how it’s going to come out or how the players are going to be. But I couldn’t be more happy with the way they responded, come to work with a smile on their face. The drudgery of camp is not what it used to be now. We have gotten such good work I will give them the day off.”

For veterans, the day off means a chance to go home and spend the entire night with their families. Any player that has been in the league for less than three years will be allowed to have the night off, but will maintain a curfew of midnight before they must be back at the Four Points Sheraton.

The Rams did a study in the offseason of when the most likely time for injuries to start is and that revealed that now is the time for that.

"This is that time,” Martz said. “We were going to do this four months ago. We have done the study and the sixth, seventh, eighth days of camp, that’s when the muscle pulls and groins, all that stuff happens so we thought we’d have a very light practice today, give them the rest of the day off and then go back at it tomorrow just to give everybody a bit of a reprieve. You just want to keep coaching them, but you also know it’s the right thing to do.”

Martz felt that today wasn’t just the right time to give the players some time off, but also to give the fans a thrill.

“These people come out and expect to see a real hard practice, but we didn’t let them know it was going to be a real light practice,” Martz said. “So, the least we can do is go over and sign an autograph for them so that they get something out of it today.”

INJURY UPDATE: There was little change on the injury front Tuesday morning. Receiver Torry Holt continued to miss time with stiffness in his lower back. Martz said Holt is getting...
      -08-02-2005, 09:03 PM
    • RamDez
      With minor renovations, Rams begin to build
      by RamDez
      With minor renovations, Rams begin to build
      By Jim Thomas

Of the Post-Dispatch
      07/29/2004

MACOMB, Ill. - The foundation was laid a couple of months ago, during minicamps and the lighter practices known as OTAs, or organized team activity.

But with Wednesday's start of training camp, veteran safety Aeneas Williams provided this construction update: "We're now putting in the 2-by-4s, and starting to build a sturdy house."

Some of the outward swagger of past Rams teams is gone. But with a 61-27 record over the past five seasons - including four playoff berths, three division titles and two Super Bowl appearances - expectations remain high.

"In my opinion, this is as good a team as I've been on in my career - in terms of talent," defensive captain Tyoka Jackson said. "Now, the experience level is not what it was in 2001 (the Rams' most recent Super Bowl squad). But talent-wise, no question it's there."

By season's end, the Rams expect to build a mansion, not a shack. And coach Mike Martz already is tinkering with the blueprint. Most notable on Wednesday was the sight of Arlen Harris working almost exclusively at halfback.

"We think that's what he is, really," Martz said.

But what about those plans to switch Harris to fullback?

"We want him to learn fullback, because ultimately during the season, we'd like to use him as such - with he and Marshall (Faulk) in the backfield, just as another alternative in various personnel groupings," Martz said. "And if you teach him (fullback), in the event that something would happen to Joey Goodspeed, we know that he can go in there and survive and do well. But first and foremost we kind of look at him as a halfback."

This is true even though Harris reported at 226 pounds, about 15 pounds heavier than his playing weight as a rookie last season. An offseason of weight training and conditioning has made Harris faster, even in his bulked-up form.

"He really got our attention because he's got some real live ability in terms of reading and cutting and breaking tackles and all those things," Martz said.

The Rams also have moved defensive end Nick Burley to tight end.

The Rams' 10th training camp since the move to St. Louis began bright and early Wednesday. Martz has moved up the starting time of morning workouts to 8 a.m. - an hour earlier than past camps.

"I'd rather be sleeping," wide receiver Torry Holt joked. "But if that's what Coach (Martz) feels is going to make us a better football team and get us through training camp ... we've just got to do it."

At least no one could complain about the weather. It was resort weather - so much so that Martz came out for the start of the afternoon
      -07-29-2004, 03:34 PM
    • RamDez
      Rams Head Home
      by RamDez
      Rams Head Home
      Friday, August 20, 2004

By Nick Wagoner
      Staff Writer

With the quickness of a Marshall Faulk cutback, coach Mike Martz ended the Rams’ 2004 training camp about 5:15 Thursday evening. Martz cited a major storm brewing in the Macomb area as the reason for the abrupt end.
      “I told them to get out of here tonight,” Martz said. “I don’t want them driving home in the rain in the morning. We wouldn’t get anything out of a morning practice here, anyway.”

The players and coaching staff will leave for St. Louis on Thursday night and probably have a practice Friday afternoon at Rams Park. The end of camp signals the next step in the drive toward the regular season. St. Louis will play cross-state rival Kansas City at Arrowhead Stadium on Monday night.

The regular season kicks off Sept. 12 against Arizona at the Edward Jones Dome. Martz said he is more than satisfied with the work the team put in at camp. “We had a heck of a camp up here,” Martz said. “The injury list is minimal compared to what it’s been in past years. I’m pleased with where we are.”

WOHLABAUGH GONE: It was a disappointing ending for center Dave Wohlabaugh, who spent 2003 starting in the middle of the Rams’ offensive line.

St. Louis cut ties with its injured center Wednesday night. Wohlabaugh had surgery on his hip in March and was not expected back for at least three or four months.

Wohlabaugh had not practiced with the team during this training camp and was likely going to miss the entire season. He recently traveled to Ohio to have the hip check out again, but the results were not positive that Wohlabaugh would play again this year or any other.

With his tenure in St. Louis ending, so too, might his career. Wohlabaugh signed with the Rams on Feb. 28, 2003. Wohlabaugh was entering his 10th season in the league. Andy McCollum, who started at left guard for the Rams last season, moved back to center at the beginning of camp.

McCollum said he feels comfortable playing his original position again, but he is sorry to see his friend and linemate struggle with injuries. “It’s just unfortunate, the injury that Dave had,” McCollum said. “He’s only been here a year, but I consider him a friend of mine.”

TIGHT COMPETITION: Brandon Manumaleuna seems to be the only tight end that has wrapped up his position, though a return from hamstring problems by Cameron Cleeland could bring the competition into focus. Manumaleuna looks like he is in better shape, showing better burst off the ball and making some difficult catches in traffic.

Martz said Manumaleuna’s offseason efforts are paying off handsomely. “Brandon has come a long way,” Martz said. “First of all, he has lost a lot of weight. He’s done a terrific job, in terms of being a receiver and a significant blocker. The thing about him is that he has been consistently excellent,...
      -08-21-2004, 12:19 AM
    Working...
    X