X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Martz/Player Quotes

Mike Martz/Player Quotes
    Monday, August 2, 2004

(On ending practice early due to weather)
    “We were obviously concerned about the lightning and the rain and since we were in full pads we tried to get as much contact work in as possible. We eliminated the seven-on-seven to speed things up. We tried to give these guys a little bit of a break. They started off a little slow this morning, but we had some good drills. We’re trying to get these guys to be physical. We got some good work in. In the passing game, we’re actually ahead of schedule. That gives us a chance to get in full pads and concentrate on running the football.”

(On new T Greg Randall)
    “He just got in last night, so we’ve probably got to wait. We obviously feel pretty good about him. That’s why we brought him in like we did. He’s played and we can throw him into some different situations in about ten plays out here. Considering he just came in last night he’s playing pretty well. Grant Williams gave him a very strong endorsement. He’s a large man.”

(On still wanting to bring in G/C Chris Dishman)
    “He’s a guy that we’ve discussed. I don’t really know what’s going on with that, but we’ll look. We’ll just have to see.”

(On RB Dusty McGrorty)
    “He’s a real good runner. You can’t have the yards that he had in college and not have something to say. He’s a stout, strong guy who has some speed too. He can turn the corner.”

RB Dusty McGroty

(On why he didn’t get any offers from big schools)
    “I came from a really small high school and I think I just got overlooked. I wanted to go to an Oregon school, and they recruit out of the bigger high schools. I just felt comfortable with Coach Olson down there at Southern Oregon. There was actually a back their before me that got a shot at the *****, so I figured I would go learn from him my red-shirt year.”

(On how small his high school was)
    “I had about 250 kids at my high school. We had about twenty-five guys on our team. I played all three sides of the ball, I was a punter also.”

(On if he gets excited when Coach Martz calls him out there on the live sessions)
    “I get a little nervous, not physically nervous, but mentally because I’ve been doing the fullback for the OTA’s and then I get back into halfback. That’s tough for me to transition over the plays and that’s the only thing that made me nervous with the plays running through my head. It felt good to get out there and run the rock again, that’s what I’ve done all my life.”

S Jason Shivers

(On how things are going in camp)
    “I think everything is going good right now as far as the learning pace. We’ve been putting in a lot of the defense, but we went over that in the spring practices. I think I did a good job of learning and adapting to it then, so right now I’m just trying to get used to this plan.”

(On who he tries to model himself after on the team)
    “I look at Aeneas (Williams), (Adam) Archuleta, and Jerametrius Butler. I look at all of them and I just try and take a little bit from each and just try and make my own.”

(On taking anything from running a business to playing football)
    “You have to be dedicated no matter what happens. You have to always know there is going to be problems, you just have to press through them. Coach Martz said he wanted to use his resolve, where you come to practice everyday regardless of what’s going on. I try and keep that in mind, and know when I get up in the morning I tell myself to resolve this, and keep working at it.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Rams Q-and-A: Martz on Monday
    by RamWraith
    Compiled by Jeff Gordon
    STLtoday.com Sports
    Monday, Nov. 15 2004

Rams coach Mike Martz was in a predictably good mood the day after his team
    handled the Seattle Seahawks 23-12.

“We’re very pleased with the effort of this football team, the intensity we
    were able to keep throughout the game,” Martz said. “It didn’t wane at any
    time. Even with some of the big plays they were able to hit on our defense, we
    were able to run to the ball.

“We had some mistakes in the running game. We had some guys out of place and
    make a mental error, which resulted in some big plays. They made some plays,
    obviously, they are a good football team. They are going to do that.

“A couple of real big indications would be the red zone stops, to get down in
    that situation and not let them in and hold them out from scoring touchdowns
    speaks volumes about the resolve and the tenacity.

“We didn’t do everything right, there is no question about that. There is a lot
    to fix and continue to get better that. As long as you play with that type of
    attitude and enthusiasm, you can accomplish an awful lot.”

Here were some other highlights of the news conference:

On the play of the offensive line:

“We had to shake things up there in the fourth quarter. For Grant (Williams) to
    go to left tackle, (Chris Dishman) has got a knee situation and Tommy (Nutten)
    goes in and plays very well. It has taken him some time to get his weight and
    his strength back up, but at this point he’s back up to where he was when he
    left, weight-wise and strength-wise. I’m very confident about his ability to
    start at left guard.

“Blaine Saipaia came in and did a terrific job. There is a lot to like about
    (Saipaia). Coming out of college, we had such a high grade on him. We kind of
    tracked him a little bit. We were able to get ahold of him, bring him in here.
    As we went through practice, it became very evident he has excellent feet. He
    has got terrific punch. He’s a strong guy, learns quickly, is a quick study on
    a lot of the stuff. Very physical player. When we moved him to right tackle, he
    was a fish out of water. He didn’t take to the pass rush very well. But over
    time, he’s done a great job on that.

"He has enough confidence to play and not be stressed out. He is very poised. I
    wasn’t sure he would play as well as he did. People say he’s too short at I
    guess 6-3 or whatever, I don’t understand that. I don’t know. If you block
    them, that’s good enough.

“I felt like the New England game was an exception to what this group really
    is. I thought they responded very well. Anytime you rush for 200 yards against
    anybody, that...
    -11-16-2004, 06:40 AM
  • RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan August 2, 2006
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

August 2, 2006

(On today’s practice)

“We worked some situations today, some goal line, short yardage, continuing to work our blitz on both sides of the ball and continue to hone in on situations. We’re getting there. It’s the dog days, particularly now. We’re almost there. You get through this week and then you actually have a game in sight. But right now we’re still plugging away and I think we made some improvement this morning.”

(On reminding players to keep the tempo up during practice)

“That’s what you have to do. The body starts to shut down. They’re friendly reminders, that’s a good way of putting it.”

(On his expectations for RB Steven Jackson)

“The expectation for him is like all of the players: To give their best and improve everyday. I think Steven’s done a great job of accepting what we’re doing as far as our attitude and our philosophy. He’s certainly going to benefit from practicing the way we are and committing to the things we’re committing to. He’s running that ball downhill. We know he can get to the edge, and that’s going to be a big part of what he does. We’re going to hit that thing inside, and be able to get it outside as well. He’s doing a great job of really working on that part of his game.”

(On LT Orlando Pace)

“We have the obvious special players on this team that have played at a high level for a number of years Orlando’s certainly one of them. If you were going to make one of those LTs, he’s what you’re looking for. And he does a great job. He obviously had the child the other day, but he’s been out here grinding with everybody and doesn’t miss any reps. He certainly does things you can’t coach, but he’s also a very coachable player who takes pride in his technique. It’s a luxury for us because the young guys can watch how he goes about his business.”

(On the backup RB situation)

“Obviously, Tony Fisher is doing a great job there. One announcement is that we’ve agreed to terms with Moe Williams, who played for me when I was in Minnesota and played last year there, got hurt and actually went on IR and recovered from a knee surgery in the offseason. We brought him in twice. The first physical was incomplete so we brought him in again and he cleared that physical. We met with him yesterday and we came to terms today. He should be here by tonight or tomorrow. He’ll be ready to go. What Moe brings is somebody that is familiar to our system, but a veteran who has played in a role as a backup and as a three. So, between Mo and Tony Fisher we’ve got guys that are handling the same thing. Mo was a real strong special teams player as well. We’re just strengthening our team because we add a real quality back-up running back that has played very well in this system...
    -08-02-2006, 07:42 PM
  • RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamWraith
    Sunday, August 15, 2004

(On getting back to practice)
    “With that time off they ran and lifted this morning, kind of got the blood going a little bit. We’re out here in full gear, and it’s hard to get use to that after you’ve been off for a little bit. I thought they did a good job trying to get into it.”

(On having so much time between the first and second preseason game)
    “I think it’s good for us, because it’s the week we’re breaking camp. It’s also late in camp where you can continue to use a lot of your two-a-days. So there is a great deal of time here and that gave us an opportunity to give them a couple of days off. Normally you can’t do that and let them recover. They’ve recovered pretty good, we should have a real good week of practice.”

(On the weather conditions being so cool)
    “I’m not worried about the heat, we play indoors and it’s air conditioned. The conditioning part of it is the cardiovascular condition, not endurance to the heat. If you played in the heat all the time, you would have to condition for it, we don’t play in it. If you play in all this heat, you just get run down, and the work doesn’t come out as well. That’s why when it’s real hot we go indoors.”

(On CB Travis Fisher’s injury)
    “He thought he would be ready to go, but he’s still got a little bit of weakness back there, he just doesn’t feel right. He’s frustrated, obviously. Over the years, with all these hamstring injuries, if it doesn’t feel right, it’s not right. So until that thing feels the way it should, we’re going to be very careful with him.”

(On G Chris Dishman not being at practice)
    “When we signed Chris he didn’t get a chance to say bye to his family. So we gave him a day to get back and kind of get his things in order, like everybody else has a chance to do before they come to camp. He needed an opportunity to get back, and get some things squared away.”

(On RB Joey Goodspeed’s performance)
    “As a fullback what’s so terrific about Joey is he’s really a good lead blocker, but when you throw him the ball, as you could see up at the scrimmage, his mobility, he’s a good runner. That’s something we haven’t had in a fullback in quite sometime. I think he’s a complete player.”

(On RB Marshall Faulk playing in preseason game against the Chiefs)
    “If he did it’s because he really wants to. We’re on pace not to play him. We sat down with him before camp started, and we went through this and mapped it all out, and he’s very comfortable with it. But we’ll see.

(On DE Anthony Hargrove)
    “Anthony’s family was in that hurricane, his girlfriend was missing, he’s got some people that were missing, so he flew down there. Fortunately, they had gone to another town, and were accounted for once he got down there. He’s got a lot of things to do with his family, to help them get...
    -08-16-2004, 06:13 AM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Monday, September 6, 2004

(On T Orlando Pace being back at practice)
    “We’re all excited to have Orlando back, and I know he feels good about being back also. It’s a relief to have him here, we’re all just very pleased he’s here and we can get going.”

(On Orlando Pace’s physical condition)
    “He came into camp this year 16 pounds lighter than he did last year. He’s obviously trained very well, and he’s prepared himself to come to camp. Watching him out here at practice, he’s a little rusty with some things, but he’s a pretty unique individual.”

(On if four practices is enough to get Orlando Pace ready for the game)
    “I guess it will have to be. We haven’t changed what we do, the calls or terms or anything. Some of the things that we do, in terms of protection, he’s just has to get use to it. We’ve been doing the same thing all these years, it hasn’t changed, so it’s not like he just got here and is learning the offense.”

(On signing S Zack Bronson)
    “We’ve been interested in him for quite some time. We we’re interested last June and we’ve maintained our interest. Fortunately, Jay (Zygmunt) was able to get something done. He’s a veteran that’s played at a high level for a long time in our division. I’m excited about having him, I think he brings a great deal to us. Last year he had three injuries, and kind of struggled a little bit, but he’s healthy now. Up until that point, he played at a very high level. He’s a guy that is going to have to get back in shape also. Obviously, we’re not asking him to come in and start right now, but within a short period of time, I think he should be in the swing of things. He’s been here through the weekend, studying the playbook, he’s a sharp guy, and very professional. We’re happy to have him.

On if experience was necessary to bring in someone at this point of the season)
    “The experience is necessary. You can’t have too many young guys back there. These guys are back there making calls, and (Zack Bronson) has played and seen just about everything. With Zack, Aeneas (Williams), (Rich) Coady, and (Adam) Archuleta back there, you have four veteran safeties back there. And with young corners, that’s important.”

(On if carrying a lot of young players is now the norm in the NFL)
    “I think it is. Unfortunately, you can’t afford to hold on to some of these guys. You lose them and you need to replace them constantly. You try to keep, what you think, are the core players. It’s just the way the league is, and everybody is in the same boat.”

(On being pleased with the draft class so far)
    “I think (I’ve been pleased). There have been a couple surprises. Obviously Steven (Jackson) has made a very big impact in the preseason. Probably, better than I even anticipated. (Brandon) Chillar (and Jackson) have had the biggest impact, and the rest of those guys...
    -09-06-2004, 06:23 PM
  • RamWraith
    The Quote Sheet - Wednesday
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan
    September 27, 2006

(Opening statement) “Pretty good shape on the injury front. Orlando [Pace] did not participate much today in practice. He was out there. Didn’t feel great the last couple of days. Precaution is with these things is to go pretty slow, so we just kept him out. He probably felt pretty much like he did last week. That’s part of the evaluation with these things. We’ll evaluate him day to day here as we get closer to the game.”

(On Pace’s condition) “I’m not sure you’d say it was nausea, but he said his head’s not quite right. He just doesn’t feel quite right so we’ve got to be a little bit cautious with him, as we have been, but kind of do it day by day.”

(On when Pace will be evaluated) “I think every day we’re going to evaluate him. Evaluate him today, see how he feels after a full day at work, and do it again tomorrow. From what I understand, the evaluation process is part on how you feel and the other on how you may to respond to questions. The post-concussion syndrome is something that goes on and on and on for weeks so we’ll just keep an eye on him.”

(On if Pace took any blows to the head in Arizona’s game) “Not that he felt or we noticed, so it wasn’t anything like that. I think it’s just…he came back pretty quickly. He wouldn’t have been cleared had he not passed all the tests, but I think he’s still got to go through some of the residuals from that.”

(On if there’s a possibility of Pace sitting out against Detroit) “He could. I think it could go on for a while now. That would be a consideration if it got worse.”

(On if Pace should have sat out against Arizona) “Not from what I understand, because had felt this way as the week went out, he certainly wouldn’t have played. He improved so much that he was cleared to go. I’m not sure that sitting would have made him feel any better now. He said he started feeling worse as the week went on. That’s why we really evaluate it up until game time.”

(On his thoughts about the offensive line) “You’ve got to start with Richie [Incognito] because he started his first game as our left guard, and then, boom, he’s right over there at the center spot, and hadn’t really done it. I think he’s done a heck of a job making that move. We had a little bit of an idea that he could do it but you’ve still got to go into the games…I think he’s played very well there. Todd [Steussie] has been in the league so long, he understands how to play the position, even though he’s more comfortable at a tackle spot, he’s able to go in and function very well at the guard spot. Our right side, with Alex [Barron] and Adam [Timmerman], that really hasn’t changed, and up until Orlando’s injury, he’s been there. I’ve been really happy with the fact that they’re adjusting. We worked a lot last week with Adam in there at the left guard spot and Todd out there at...
    -09-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Working...
X