Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: Martz and Turley at odds over injury

TURLEY, MARTZ BATTLE OVER BACK INJURY?

We hear that Rams coach Mike Martz and offensive tackle Kyle Turley aren't seeing eye-to-eye in the wake of Turley's departure from training camp to have further tests on his ailing back.

Per a league source, Turley believed that he'd be able to take it easy in the early stages of camp as his surgically-repaired back continues to heal. Martz disagreed, throwing Turley into the same drills as everyone else.

So it was with a certain degree of skepticism that Martz, we're told, regarded Turley's claim that his back now prevents him from playing.

Turley underwent an MRI on Monday, and the team is waiting for the results.

Take it for what it's worth. These guys aren't known to be exceptionally reliable but news is news, I guess.

Re: PFT: Martz and Turley at odds over injury

And the hits just keep on coming.

Comment

Looks like he was thrown in there too early...GREAT

steve :ramlogo:
      "The breakfast Club":helmet:

Comment

ok...

I can't sit back any longer.

Let the Turley thing go. He hasn't been all that great in my opinion. He is more mouth than anything. He got himself a big reputation because of his helmet toss and long hair. Now don't get me wrong, he is the best thing we have had on the right side in awhile. But Turley is WAY over rated. And a wuss to boot. It wasn't that long ago that he turned the team in to the league for not following the union agreement, after that team had been doing the same practice for years. Do we all really blame Timmerman for the problems last year on the right side? I believe Turley chased Warner out of town.

As far as I am concerned if Turley is done for the year so be it. I think he had an average year at best last season and believe someone can play at the level he did this season. It would be nice to have him, but not the end of the world in my book. And I am glad Martz is calling him out. To me it sounds like Turley is making more of this than anyone. I think it is an easy way out of camp, that a vet is using to his advantage. Read the book "Darkside of the Game".

Comment

But it CAN'T be Turley's fault.....it HAS to be Martz's fault.....right?

I mean, everything bad is Martz's bad, everything good is someone elses...

Comment

I think he had an average year last season only because he wasn't as familiar with the offense as he could have been. I think coming into this season, with a year of experience as a Ram under his belt, he'd be very good. I fear that with Greg Randall, we're going to see some of the same mental mistakes we saw out of Turley early in the year. I almost feel better with Williams in at right tackle than Randall, if only because he knows the offense.

Comment

I think the only mistake Turley made was putting on the Horns and not respecting them. I like Randell's attitude and I think the guy is hungry. And I bet he opens his trap a lot less then the over-rated over-paid Turley.

Either way, I think Turley will be back after the "hard" stuff is done at camp. And this situation is being blown up just to miss the heat of Macomb. He knows he can do it and is taking advantage of it. I just hope Randell opens some eyes and maybe bumps and deflates a couple of heads

Originally posted by NickSeiler
              I think he had an average year last season only because he wasn't as familiar with the offense as he could have been. I think coming into this season, with a year of experience as a Ram under his belt, he'd be very good. I fear that with Greg Randall, we're going to see some of the same mental mistakes we saw out of Turley early in the year. I almost feel better with Williams in at right tackle than Randall, if only because he knows the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith
                Either way, I think Turley will be back after the "hard" stuff is done at camp. And this situation is being blown up just to miss the heat of Macomb. He knows he can do it and is taking advantage of it. I just hope Randell opens some eyes and maybe bumps and deflates a couple of heads
                It would be disappointing if this was the case, but not very surprising. Most players have said how much they dislike camp due to the conditions. I imagine there are more than a few players who would take this kind of out if they could, not necessarily on our team but in the NFL in general.

Comment

ok...

I can't sit back any longer.

Let the Turley thing go. He hasn't been all that great in my opinion. He is more mouth than anything. He got himself a big reputation because of his helmet toss and long hair. Now don't get me wrong, he is the best thing we have had on the right side in awhile. But Turley is WAY over rated. And a wuss to boot. It wasn't that long ago that he turned the team in to the league for not following the union agreement, after that team had been doing the same practice for years. Do we all really blame Timmerman for the problems last year on the right side? I believe Turley chased Warner out of town.

As far as I am concerned if Turley is done for the year so be it. I think he had an average year at best last season and believe someone can play at the level he did this season. It would be nice to have him, but not the end of the world in my book. And I am glad Martz is calling him out. To me it sounds like Turley is making more of this than anyone. I think it is an easy way out of camp, that a vet is using to his advantage. Read the book "Darkside of the Game".
                  Thank you Ramwraith....finally someone else who see's Turley as I see him...it's been very lonely on this island.

I've said before that he is more mouth than substance.
                  Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Well, if Turley is married, maybe his wife can call the local radio station and rant about how it was SHE who told Turley to get the MRI.

Comment

What are you guys talking about? Turley was solid at tackle last year. It was our interior line that was causing the problem. Sure Turley is no Orlando Pace but he's a better RT than most teams have.

I see some hold a grudge because he wasn't afraid to voice against the almighty Kurt Warner. Gimme a break.

Comment

Do we all really blame Timmerman for the problems last year on the right side? I believe Turley chased Warner out of town.
                        I don't remember the problems being on the right side at all. It was the middle of the O-Line that was the weakest.

I do agree that this is a bit overblown and that Grant Williams would be a fine replacement, but I don't think Turley is using this to get out of training camp. A back injury is a serious thing, especially for offensive linemen, and can be re-aggravated easily.

When did Turley ever disrespect the Horns last season? I don't know why Rams fans have such a big problem with him.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                          But it CAN'T be Turley's fault.....it HAS to be Martz's fault.....right?

I mean, everything bad is Martz's bad, everything good is someone elses...
                          Well, if we're going to take an all or nothing attitude, I think I'll be on your side Tex. It CAN'T be Martz's fault....it HAS to be someone else's fault. I mean, the NUMEROUS examples presented by a variety of sources shouldn't be used to notice that a pattern might be developing.

How many different "bad things" does Martz have to be involved in before some it might actually be considered to be true?

As far as Turley goes, I'm undecided about him. I didn't care for him when he was a Saint but actually admired the helmet incident (in the most optimistic of views). I gave him credit for being a fiery guy who wouldn't let anyone abuse his qb. Of course, after the Giants game and all the abuse Warner took, there should have been 10 or 15 helmets thrown by Turley. His statments about Bulger being the starter, etc. didn't set well with me either. Obviously because I didn't agree with them, but also because they seemed kind of out of left field. Here's this guy who hasn't proven anything with the Rams yet, barely been on the team at all and suddenly he's the spokesman for the offense? Something about that whole thing just didn't feel right.

And, as far as him weasling out of training camp I say: "why not"? It'll make for a perfect bookend to Orlando's annual absence. I wonder how much cohesion the line will have compared to last year's opener? With both tackles missing training camp and possibly preseason, I'm sure the protection will be stellar.

Comment

I see some hold a grudge because he wasn't afraid to voice against the almighty Kurt Warner. Gimme a break.
                            This is an interesting quote. I thought the argument, back when it happened, was that Turley wasn't bad-mouthing Warner he was just supporting Bulger? It seems that someone who isn't pro-Warner agrees with the Warner supporters in retrospect. I also agree that the "Turley's just sticking up for Bulger" was incorrect. I think he was taking a shot at Warner. Not a huge one, but when teammates are outspoken about who should be the starter and they aren't even on the same side of the ball, it doesn't make for a pretty picture.

Comment

Originally posted by moklerman
                              Here's this guy who hasn't proven anything with the Rams yet, barely been on the team at all and suddenly he's the spokesman for the offense? Something about that whole thing just didn't feel right.
                              Not that I completely disagree, but maybe he was speaking for the offense because everyone else was afraid to come out and say it straightforward. He is an NFLPA representative for the team, afterall.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• thoey
                                Turley and Martz Confrontation
                                by thoey
                                http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1954691

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

ESPN.com news services
                                NFL security has questioned Rams coach Mike Martz and offensive tackle Kyle Turley over an incident where Turley allegedly threatened to kill Martz, ESPN's Chris Mortensen has learned.

Martz and Turley allegedly engaged in a shouting match which resulted in Martz filing a report with NFL Security regarding the death threat, Mortensen is reporting.

The argument began when Turley heard that Martz questioned the tackle's dedication to rehabbing his injured back and decided to confront the coach, Mortensen reports. Turley is on injured reserve after re-injuring his surgically repaired back early in training camp.

For his part, Turley denies having threatened Martz. And on Tuesday evening, Martz issued a written statement through his agent, Frank Bauer, denying the report of a confrontation with Turley. "This story is absurd. It is offensive to Kyle Turley and Mike Martz. There is no truth to this story."

Despite missing the entire season with back woes, Turley has said he wants to return for the 2005 season. The seven-year veteran, who has ruled out a second surgery to correct his back problem, has no plans for now of retiring.

"Wanting to play has never been an issue," Turley said earlier this month. "I've given everything to this sport and dedicated myself to this, I think, as much, or in some cases more so, than most people. That's been the goal from Day One, to get back. To get back on the field."

From the time his back began to flare up again early in training camp this summer, Turley insisted he would retire rather than face another surgery. He said doctors have apprised him that, with proper posture, increased core strength and additional flexibility, his back in time will compensate for the disc problem.

How long that process will take, however, is not certain. Turley's goal is to be in camp but that aim might not be a realistic one.

"But if it takes [until] the middle of next season, then so be it," he said. "Or if it takes even the year after that, I'm going to make it back. I'm 29 years old. There's time. I'm going to make it back and play in the league."

Information from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli was used in this report
                                -12-28-2004, 09:23 PM
                              • Nick
                                Martz opens up on his conflict with Turley
                                by Nick
                                Martz opens up on his conflict with Turley
                                By Jim Thomas
                                Of the Post-Dispatch
                                12/28/2004

The rift hasn't exactly been a well-kept secret, which probably explains why Rams coach Mike Martz decided Tuesday evening to discuss his spat with offensive tackle Kyle Turley.

Turley visited Martz in the coach's Rams Park office on Dec. 13 in a meeting that eventually degenerated into Turley yelling obscenities at Martz. Things got so loud that employees on that side of the second floor of the complex could hear Turley yelling.

"Kyle came in to see me because he was concerned about the comments I made," Martz told the Post-Dispatch on Tuesday.

What comments? Well, the previous week, when asked by a reporter about Turley's status for the 2004 season, Martz replied icily: "I have no idea where he is. I have no idea if he wants to play, or can play. ... I have not seen him."

Turley didn't like those comments, and that led to the boisterous meeting at Rams Park.

"He felt offended," Martz said. "He was agitated and offended by them (at the meeting). I wasn't shouting at him. But he was animated. Players get like that. Kyle's a very emotional guy. He wears his emotions on his sleeves. But by the end of the discussion, it was resolved. It was resolved and we move on."

It may be resolved, but Martz did file a complaint with NFL security that Turley threatened him. Because of that, Turley could be subject to a fine.

The root of the ill will?

Turley was angry because he felt he was rushed into action during training camp after having offseason back surgery. Martz claims the doctors cleared Turley to practice, so he practiced. Turley aggravated the back injury early in camp and ended up on the injured reserve list.

In turn, Martz was upset at Turley because Turley initially didn't return several phone messages from Martz, who was seeking to check on Turley and his status last August.

Despite all that, Martz said he wants Turley on the team next season, back injury permitting.

"I'd like to have him back if he can play," Martz said.
                                -12-29-2004, 03:24 PM
                              • Nick
                                Turley wants to play defense
                                by Nick
                                Offensive lineman asks Rams to switch him to defense
                                By Brent Schrotenboer
                                UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 2, 2005

St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Kyle Turley is planning a switch to defensive end this year a position he hasn't played since high school as long he can pass a physical exam and resume working relations with a head coach he won't forgive.

Turley, a former standout at San Diego State, wants to switch to defensive end to relieve pressure on his back, a subject of controversy and much physical stress for Turley since December. Turley suffered from a herniated disc in preseason training camp and missed the entire 2004 season.

"I need to play a position where I have more freedom to move around and get out of problem situations," Turley said yesterday by phone. "My back was injured on pass plays (on offense)."

Turley said Rams General Manager Charlie Armey and operations chief Jay Zygmunt have given him the "we'll see" answer to his switch request. A call to the Rams office seeking comment was not immediately returned last night.

In the last three months, Turley's weight dipped to 235 for the first time since his freshman year at SDSU. After working out in Tempe, Ariz., he has it back up to 260 with a target of 275. He was once up to 309.

As a result, he said, he's going to be faster than ever and is feeling great about extending his career. A bigger question might be how he'll be received by head coach Mike Martz if he does. In December, Turley got into a shouting match with Martz after Turley said Martz questioned the seriousness of Turley's injury. Turley allegedly threatened to kill Martz a charge Turley denies.

"There's definitely hard feelings," Turley said. "As far as I'm concerned, I don't have to forgive anybody. The things he said to me, I don't plan on forgetting."

Turley said that from now on his relationship with Martz wil be: "He stays away from me, and I stay away from him."

According to Turley, Martz said that Turley came to St. Louis "to take the money and run." Turley, 29, signed a six-year, $26.5 million contract after joining the Rams in 2003.

"How do you say that to a guy who hasn't missed a down or a practice in six years and faces a serious, career-ending injury?" Turley asked.

Turley, a former first-round draft pick in 1998, also said he's ditched many diet supplements in his quest to regain his health and weight. Instead of multivitamins, for example, he's sticking to a strict diet and nutritional shakes. His body fat rate is down from 10 percent to 8 percent.

Turley had surgery on his back in March 2004 but didn't want to have more surgery last fall that could have further jeopardized his career.
                                -04-03-2005, 10:05 PM
                              • Nick
                                Turley takes a parting shot at Martz
                                by Nick
                                Getting defensive
                                Turley wants to bring his intensity to DE position
                                Posted: Friday June 10, 2005 1:25PM;
                                Updated: Friday June 10, 2005 3:29PM

He was on his way to a gig, getting jacked up for a couple hours of shirtless skins-slapping -- and when you are the drummer for a band named Perpetual Death Mode, your biceps had best be prepared to do some serious throbbing.

"Oh, I'm gonna pound those things," Kyle Turley said in his typical, subtlety-deprived tone. "Our music is super heavy, super hard and super fast. It's bad-ass, man. And yeah, I've gotta take the shirt off, so I can show off my f---- abs."

Turley has been part of this death-metal-thrash quartet for several weeks now, and in case you're working up the courage to tell this long-haired, heavily tattooed rhythm-keeper to keep his day job, don't bother: Turley officially lost it on Monday, when the St. Louis Rams waived the former All-Pro tackle after he failed a physical.

Still ailing from the serious back injury that kept him out for all of the 2004 season, the 6-foot-5 Turley at one point shrunk down to 235 pounds during rehab, a process he says is still three to six months away from completion. He has since bulked up to 260 ("I've put on 30 pounds of solid muscle," he said) -- 50 pounds short of his listed weight going into '04, but buff enough to allow him to switch to defensive end, which would be quite a dramatic move for the soon-to-be-30-year-old.

"With my intensity and athletic ability, I think that would be a natural switch," Turley said in a phone interview on Thursday night. "I'm just as fast as almost all those [defensive ends] out there, and as athletic, or more, than half of them. And my tenacity supersedes all of that. There are a lot of guys at that position who have gotten paid that are a bunch of slaps, and I know I could do better than them."

If Turley seems a tad disdainful of his would-be peers, some back story is in order. As part of a 2003 Sports Illustrated package on offensive linemen -- for which he was the cover subject -- Turley told Josh Elliott he regarded his defensive-line counterparts as unintelligent drones, referring to them as "geraniums."

Now that he's intent on a switch, Turley is all about flower power.

"Because I played offensive line, I think that gives me an insider's advantage," he explained. "Believe me, I know what's happening on the other side of the football, and that should allow me to read and react in a way that the typical defensive lineman can't. I know what I would bring to that position, and a lot of coaches know, too."

What Turley would bring, first and foremost, is attitude -- which is why, despite his physical issues and purported baggage, I expect some NFL team to give him a chance. This is likely...
                                -06-10-2005, 03:29 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Martz speaks to ESPN on Turley
                                by RamWraith
                                Coach Mike Martz told ESPN's Ed Werder on Monday night that if Turley needs to undergo a second disc surgery, he feared Turley might be lost for the entire season.

Turley himself has expressed concern that another surgery might end his entire career.

"It was a threat to my career last year," Turley said at the time of the injury in August. "For it to have possibly reoccurred is definitely a bigger threat."

In March, Turley had surgery to repair the same disc.

Turley, who has not practiced since Aug. 1, has seen a series of back specialists this summer. In the interim, the Rams have been treating the injury with anti-inflammatory drugs.

Last year was Turley's first with the Rams and he started all 16 games. But he was bothered much of the year by pain in his hip that turned out to be a herniated disc.

Turley said after he reinjured his back that he may have tried to do too much at the start of camp.

"I think in general, being out here too early and going too hard too soon hurt me," Turley said. "A couple of plays in particular, you just get put in a bad position. It can happen to anybody at anytime, but I think I'm a little more vulnerable to it."
                                -08-24-2004, 08:26 AM
                              Working...
                              X