The NFC West Is Still the Rams Ball-game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NFC West Is Still the Rams Ball-game

Two and a half weeks into the new season and the best conclusion I can come to about the state of affairs?

This must be Hollywood.

There are more sub-plots and scandals, more topsy-turvy oddities, and more budding Cinderella stories than can be found at the original Mickey Mouse Club auditions.

If Walt were alive, he’d be rolling over in his grave.

As advertised, our NFC West teams have commenced to knocking the crap out of each other, almost like the only feasible movie script that could be applied here. This division is as much up for grabs now as it was two weeks ago.

If I had just woke up from a month-long coma, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit to find out that the San Francisco ***** have the same record as the Houston Texans and the Detroit Lions. But I’d probably hock up a parakeet when I learned that they all are sitting at the tops of their divisions with 2-0 records.

Is it a fluke?

Duh.

Here in the West are housed four of the best running backs in the league. Arguably the two best quarterbacks in the NFC, and a selection of wide receivers that would send any newbie offensive coordinator back to having wet dreams, and any opposing “D” man back to AA. And to top it all off, with all this fire-power that resides in this one division, the undefeated team has exactly one of these players, and hasn’t even put up more than 190 yards of offense in either “victory.”

Suggestion? Let the movie play out.

Assessment? We got this. Is that a bold assessment? Not really when you consider this.

It’s a game of inches. About six more of them off the foot of Wilky’s leg would have taken away one of the Niner’s victories, and had they not had an extra layer of skin on their teeth, the Cardinals would have taken away the other.

Mike Nolan has got to be sweating more than Mike Vick watching Old Yellar.

In the mean-time, those same Cardinals beat up on the Seahawks for the great majority of that victory, and come this week, the rest of their confidence will be shot – at home – at the hands of Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson.

If you look at it reasonably and rationally, the only teams that appear to have more upside headed their way than down are the Rams and the Cards and I still don’t see the Cards pulling it out in the first year with their new coach.

The Rams on the other hand are making positive strides with the defense, and Marc Bulger and the boys will be exploding very quickly.

Who knows, maybe all of these teams will finish under .500, but I doubt it.

But one thing I do know is that Hollywood has invaded the NFL, the Rams have been written in as the sucker-punch, and the 'Niners division title is about as likely as O.J Simpson buying a ten-speed and going Mormon.

Re: The NFC West Is Still the Rams Ball-game

Love your analogies.

I agree it's not over yet. We need to get the train moving in the right direction and I do predict we will win in Tampa.
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

I still believe that we will win this division the key is beating the seahawks the whiners will beat themselves and the tards just aren't ready for it yet so lets start putting wins on our record
      Torry Holt Dont play that

Comment

I'm sure the other teams will do themselves in later. I'm glad we're getting our debacles over with early.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Varg6
          What NFC West team are you most worried about?
          by Varg6
          Out of the Tards, Squawks, and Whiners, who should we most fear this season?

It seems every season, the cardinals are going to have a delightful season, and with all the wonderful drafts, they still wind up stinking up the whole league. Mind you, I think this season they will be a big threat.

The Seahawks are still technically the kings of the NFC West, and until we reclaim our throne, it is theirs. That in my opinion is our #1 objective...at least for boosting confidence, is to beat the Seahawks...

The ***** and Frank Gore look to be even more of a threat. They had a decent season, and surprisingly are looking to become a good team, although I hate to admit it, I think that may be the case... (Why can't they always suck!? )

So...yes it is way too early to be making predictions like this, but what else is there to do but ponder about our Rams?

I think next season, if our cards are right, we're definitely reclaiming our rightful throne in the West. However, I doubt we'll be able to get a 1st round bye by any means with the schedule we have this season. It looks like a very difficult one, something...well we're not really used to. It can go either two ways, we're glorious, or chumps. I see (if everything goes according to plan...)

1. Rams 10-6
          2. Seahawks 9-7
          3. Cardinals 9-7
          4. ***** 8-8, 9-7, perhaps

What do you guys think?
          -01-26-2007, 01:42 PM
        • evil disco man
          The NFC West
          by evil disco man
          People have been calling the NFC West the weakest division in the NFL for years now. They can say what they want, but the fact is that the West has represented the NFC in 4 of the last 10 Super Bowls, more than any other division.

I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy rooting for other West teams in the playoffs to represent us well. If we can't beat 'em out during the season, I'd rather see them take it all the way than any other team. The only exception for me was rooting for the Steelers vs. Seahawks, only because I personally can't stand Hasselbeck, but I was pulling for them throughout the playoffs up to that point.

If you find it difficult rooting for our West rivals in the playoffs, remember that one benefit of other West teams making it far in the playoffs (or esp. into the SB) is that their roster and coaching staff is usually raided by other teams afterward, boding well for the Rams in following seasons.

Go NFC West!
          -01-18-2009, 03:50 PM
        • r8rh8rmike
          Round Two: Are The Rams The Best In The NFC West?
          by r8rh8rmike
          Are the Rams the best in the NFC West?

BY REID LAYMANCE
          Monday, November 29, 2010

THE WATERCOOLER:

Are the Rams the best team in the NFC West?

BRYAN BURWELL:

The Rams are showing all the signs of progress that lead you to believe they are the best of this mediocre division. But it is a fragile status because one or two critical injuries can alter things instantly. You saw how effective the passing attack can be with Danario Alexander and Michael Hoomanawanui in there. But a high ankle spraing knocked Big Mike out for the next few weeks and Alexander's fragile knees could go at any time. Winning on the road in Arizona against a Cardinal team working on a short week will cement my opinion that they are the best in the West.

JIM THOMAS:

Sam Bradford has progressed to the point where he might be the best quarterback in the division, no disrespect to former Pro Bowler Matt Hasselbeck. But I still want to see the Rams win another game on the road -- say in Arizona this Sunday -- before I'm convinced they have a real chance to win the NFC West.

BILL COATS:

Because they are the one team in the division that seems to be improving as they go, the Rams probably are the best in the West right now. The defense and special teams are struggling a bit but quarterback Sam Bradford and his receivers are meshing nicely and helping to balance out the offense.

KATHLEEN NELSON:

For the moment, sure, but that's not saying much. The NFC West is the NFL equivalent of the NCAA's Big East conference in football: not one team above .500 in the division, not one ranked team in the Big East. The Rams score more points (19.4) and give up fewer (21.0) than the other three teams. But look at that ratio. The good news is that they have to play each of their division opponents again in the final six games; those three games provide opportunity to take command.

JEFF GORDON:

They can earn that title by winning in Arizona. The NFC Worst is there for the taking. The Seahawks are beat up. The ***** are trying to dig out with Troy Smith at quarterback. The Cardinals are hamstrung by terrible play at that position. Sam Bradford and the improving Rams offense give this team a clear shot at winning the division. Injuries could change all that, of course, but the Rams have a real shot. Beating the Gridbirds on the road would give this team the opportunity to do the unthinkable -- make the playoffs.
          -11-30-2010, 09:20 AM
        • eldfan
          No team is out of it in a weak NFC West
          by eldfan
          By Bill Coats
          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
          10/06/2008

For all the woes that befell the Rams during their inelegant first quarter of the season, they still can see the top of the standings from their perch deep in the basement.

That's because the NFC West, perhaps the NFL's weakest division, is very much up for grabs heading into Week 6. "Hopefully we can turn this thing around," newly appointed Rams coach Jim Haslett said. "In this division, you never know."

In most of the seven other divisions, a pacesetter has established itself. But in the NFC West, three of the four teams have a sub.-500 record, and the feckless, winless Rams are just 2½ games out of first place.

Here's a look at how each of the division outfits performed in the first five weeks:

— Arizona (3-2): The Cardinals shot out of the gate with wins over San Francisco and Miami. The Big Red fell at Washington 24-17 and then were pounded by the New York Jets 56-35 on the road, but rebounded Sunday with a big win over previously unbeaten Buffalo 41-17.

— San Francisco (2-3): After losing at home to the Cardinals, the ***** scored a big win at Seattle, 33-30, then belted the visiting Lions 31-13. But the Niners tumbled back to .500 with a 31-17 loss at New Orleans, then lost again Sunday to visiting New England 30-21.

— Seattle (1-3): The four-time defending NFC West champs, decimated by injuries to their corps of wide receivers, were routed at Buffalo 34-10 before the three-point loss to the *****. Then the Rams came to town, and the Seahawks cruised 37-13. But Sunday's 44-6 road loss to the New York Giants was an eye-opener.

— Rams (0-4): On the heels of an encouraging training camp and preseason, the Rams unraveled rapidly. They suffered through some injuries to key players, a controversial quarterback switch, and ultimately the dismissal of coach Scott Linehan just four games into his third season. The Rams have scored the league's fewest points (43) and, along with Detroit, yielded the most (147); they ranked 30th in total offense and 31st in total defense before Sunday's games.

They've also been subjected to ridicule from various outlets, including several pundits who suggested we could be witnessing the first 0-16 team in league history.

Even Cowboys cornerback Adam "Don't Call Me Pacman" Jones got into the act. After the NFC East-rival Eagles steamrolled the Rams 38-3 in the season opener, Jones scoffed, "They played the Rams, dude."

Despite all that, a couple of wins would get the Rams squarely into the mix in the NFC West. "It didn't start out the way we wanted," quarterback Marc Bulger said heading into the team's bye week. "But guys haven't quit, and we honestly still think we do have a chance in the division, believe it or not."

-10-06-2008, 07:52 AM
        • Guam rammer
          NFC West
          by Guam rammer
          Everybody's excited about their team in this division. Some sports writers have the Rams and ****** possibly taking over the division, and others seem to think that the Hawks did just enough to keep their crown. As for the Cards! well, everybody's kinda staying away from predicting anything from them. So, it looks like this entire division is up for grabs and its gonna come down to who wants it more. Its obvious there's talent in this group of teams throughout their rosters and what matters most will be who gels as a team faster and which team stays healthy longer throughout the season. If you want an answer thats as good as gold, ask the fans...we know best. This fan says the Rams are going to the SB baby!!!
          -08-30-2007, 04:23 PM
        Working...
        X