X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Camp Quotes

Wednesday, August 4, 2004

S Adam Archuleta

(On how training camp has been going so far)
    “It’s been a pretty good camp. We started off we’ve had a lot of contact. It’s been real physical. (Coach Martz) has kind of given us a break. I think we’re gearing up for the next few days with the Chicago Bears, and getting ready for that kind of camp atmosphere.”

(On scrimmaging during training camp)
    “It’s cool. It’s a change up. It breaks up camp and the monotony of camp and going against each other. I think it will be good for us just to get some fresh guys out there.”

(On taking on more leadership roles)
    “Leadership just comes. You don’t thrust yourself into that role just by setting a good example, playing well, and doing all the little things right. You don’t really start to see, in my opinion, true leadership come until the season starts. I feel like without a doubt, that’s (leadership role) a responsibility of mine, and that’s my role on this team. It’s something that I’ll progress into as the season goes on and as my career goes on.”

(On how the teams progressing)
    “We’re optimistic, but obviously it’s camp. We’ve been in camp one week and we have over a month until we play our first regular season game, so it’s just a building process. By no means do we think we’ve peaked, and we don’t want to get to that point. We just come out here and work and try to get better everyday.”

(On tutoring the younger players)
    “You just want to keep advancing your game. You never want to stay the same. You don’t want to be complacent. Whatever you’ve been able to do in the past, you want to build on that and expand yourself as a player.”

(On playing with S Aeneas Williams)
    “Every team needs great examples and it’s good to have guys who have been around and have done it, who can tell their story, who can watch their examples everyday. We’re very fortunate to have (him). We have a lot of guys on our team like that. We have guys on the offensive side of the ball who a lot of the young guys really look up to.”

CB Jerametrius Butler

(On how OB Marc Bulger has looked)
    “He throws the deep ball very well. You really can’t underestimate his arm. He really puts some zip on the ball. His timing is good with Isaac (Bruce) and Tory (Holt), and also the other guys Mike Furry and Dane Looker. He’s done a real good job.”

(On role models on the team)
    “I like to follow Aeneas. He always shows up for practice. He never takes anything for granted. He always goes out there and competes. He goes out there and has fun.”

(On WR Isaac Bruce)
    “People think Isaac is really quiet, but on the field he’s a different person. He’s different on the field and off the field. He’ll try and embarrass you if you let him.”

(On enforcing of the coverage rules)
    “ I think the big influence was that New England game when they played Indianapolis, because they (New England) did a lot more holding down field. So this year there going to throw more flags within five yards. So you’re going to have to be more physical within five yards or there going to try and throw the flag on you. It’s really not going to effect the corners. We are just going to have to be more physical within five yards.”

S Aeneas Williams

(On his injured toe)
    “Well, they’ve done a fantastic job of getting shoes that mold to my toe so that it’s comfortable and everything. In the past my orthotics were too bulky to fit in the shoes, so Nike had to change the whole shoe. Now, since it’s much less cumbersome, it feels like I’m walking on a soft surface. The Rams training staff did a great job finding someone to do this for me.”

(On second year at safety)
    “I’m a lot more comfortable than last year. The good thing is that I don’t even think I’ve scratched the surface. I still get the best of three worlds. I still get to blitz, play some corner, and play free safety. I legitimately have the opportunity to have a serious impact on the outcome of a game. Unlike being at corner where you’re at one area and teams can pick and choose whether they come that way, being at safety, nickel, or blitzing I can be around the ball a lot more.”

(On preferring corner or safety)
    “I enjoy them both, but this gives me an opportunity to get involved in the whole defense. I get to communicate with guys, talking to the corners and sometimes being in the box like a linebacker. So, it’s like I get the best of all worlds. Most importantly, just being around the ball having the opportunity to be a deciding factor in the outcome of every play.”

(On playing the run more often)
    “It’s fun. I get a chance to strip the ball and get around the ball in terms of fumbles. I get to use my quickness in the box as a linebacker almost. It’s fun getting to roam in the box because a lot of times the linebackers are fighting off blocks but that extra defensive back gets to run around free. It is quite a bit different though. The angles are different and now I’m actually the quarterback on defense since I’m in a position where they can all hear my voice.

Re: Training Camp Quotes

Originally posted by RamWraith
    CB Jerametrius Butler

(On how OB Marc Bulger has looked)
    “He throws the deep ball very well. You really can’t underestimate his arm. He really puts some zip on the ball. His timing is good with Isaac (Bruce) and Tory (Holt), and also the other guys Mike Furry and Dane Looker. He’s done a real good job.”
    Woo hoo!!!

Comment

Nick you crack me up. You are so far out there in your support of Marc. It's almost as if you have a personal attachment to him. I am speculating that you must be Marc's Dad or something like that. hmmmm :redface:

Yes the players are making nice comments about Bulger and we should expect that from them. They are trying to build some chemistry and confidence. They can say nice things now that Warner is gone.

For your sake and all the other Ram fans out there, I hope Bulger shines this year, now that the big shadow has moved on.

Too funny

I am digging all the player quotes that we are getting this year.
      sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily say that, Utter. One of the main criticisms with Marc was that his deep ball was poor. So it excites me to see that the first thing Butler says when asked about Bulger is that he throws the deep ball very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeneas Williams
          “I’m a lot more comfortable than last year. The good thing is that I don’t even think I’ve scratched the surface. I still get the best of three worlds. I still get to blitz, play some corner, and play free safety. I legitimately have the opportunity to have a serious impact on the outcome of a game. Unlike being at corner where you’re at one area and teams can pick and choose whether they come that way, being at safety, nickel, or blitzing I can be around the ball a lot more.”
          I really like how they're using him. Not only does it make the defense more flexible and unpredictable, it puts their best playmaker in position to consistently make those big plays.

Comment

I agree, Disco. I really hope the move to free safety extends his career though. It's not a happy idea to think about Aeneas maybe retiring after this season, as some have speculated.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
              One of the main criticisms with Marc was that his deep ball was poor. So it excites me to see that the first thing Butler says when asked about Bulger is that he throws the deep ball very well.
              Throwing a deep ball with accuracy is Marc's biggest weakness from last year and it would be wonderful if he could improve in this area, but I am waiting to see it with my own eyes. It's good that the players are saying good things.

Let the season begin!!!
              sigpic

Comment

hopefully Aeneas doesn't retire after this season. From what it sounds like he is in awesome shape so hopefully he can continue to play for a few more years! :ramlogo:

Comment

Originally posted by UtterBlitz
                  Throwing a deep ball with accuracy is Marc's biggest weakness from last year and it would be wonderful if he could improve in this area, but I am waiting to see it with my own eyes. It's good that the players are saying good things.

Let the season begin!!!
                  Yeah, I'm trying not to buy into it too much as well considering reports last season of Warner looking better than ever in camp. We all know how that turned out. But still, it's encouraging to read considering it was a weakness in his game last season. So we'll see.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• HUbison
                    Day 1 Camp Quotes
                    by HUbison
                    Head Coach Mike Martz
                    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

(On having camp at Rams Park for the first time)
                    “It’s very nice. This is something that we have been contemplating for a while, but we really do feel this is more beneficial for us. We’ll see how things go, but I think as long as the logistics of things work out there isn’t anything else for us to consider. I’m very pleased. I think the players and coached are excited about it anytime you can put your head on your own pillow, or at least be in your hometown instead of traveling.”

(On being a coach that takes his players comforts and concerns into mind when making decisions)
                    “Years ago when they trimmed these squads down in numbers, you had to take [more] care of your guys. You have to have their best on Sunday when you show up. There’s a lot of work to be done. There’s an awful lot to be done, but there’s a way of going about this and doing that work and doing it in a beneficial way of helping them physically. We all were raised in football in terms of hammer, hammer, hammer, rep, rep, rep, rep, and all of a sudden you get into the opening game and you’re dead-legged. We have studied this through the Russian track athletes who rest every fourth day. We just want to give them enough time to recover and make those physical games that are going to make them better players.”

(On Roland Williams)
                    “Roland Williams is probably the most pleasant surprise of the off-season. I think I mentioned this earlier, but when we brought him back here I felt good that he was going to be a solid player. [He is] very comfortable with Brandon [Manumaleuna]. Obviously, we like Brandon. He is a good starter in this league. Roland, in the spring, was much more than I anticipated. He deserves the opportunity to step in and battle. We’re going to start him off as a starter and see how that whole thing transpires, but we’re kind of moving in a different direction anyways. We’re going to do a lot of two tight end stuff, so in essence they are both starters. Roland’s energy is something that I really appreciate. His experience there… I was very impressed with him, and we will just see where this thing takes us.”

(On Coach Martz’s biggest area of concern coming into camp)
                    “I think everybody [in] every camp is always concerned about getting their guys healthy. I think there are a lot less unknowns about this camp than perhaps we have had in the past. The biggest concern is that we get our special teams up to speed. That’s number one. We have addressed this as well as we can in years past while trying to plug holes, but this year we have had the luxury of actually focusing on that without hurting the positions on offense. Finally, over the last few years we have been able to meet that. I’m excited about Bob [Ligashesky] and the job that he’s doing. We’ll see about that. That is the number one priority.”
                    -07-28-2005, 12:08 PM
                  • evil disco man
                    Spagnuolo/Flajole/Shurmur Interviews 6/6/09
                    by evil disco man
                    Mini-Camp III: Day 3 - Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – June 6, 2009

(On what he feels the team has accomplished at the conclusion of the last mini-camp)

“Mostly the installation and exposing them to things that we think that we would either do during the season or definitely would do in training camp. On both sides of the ball and special teams we tried to touch on things. We didn’t go deep into some things but at least we got it installed. We got them exposed.”

(On what he wants to get done during OTAs)

“Well, there’s a couple of things. Tuesday will be pretty much like all the other ones. There’s just a couple of installation items on both sides of the ball. Starting on Wednesday, Thursday, going into the following week, it’ll be concentrated on the NFC West teams. We’ll take a team a day and probably two (days) on Seattle since that’s the opener and we’ll go from there. We’ve only got six left.”

(On why it is a good idea to expose the team to the division opponents in the spring)

“I think it’s a good thing. First of all, we’ve always felt that the first goal has got to be to win the division so you focus on those guys for obvious reasons. You play them twice. We’ve got some new guys here. We’ve got some new coaches here that maybe haven’t been exposed to these three teams as much so it’s as much for the coaches as it is for the players. Kind of get them geared towards where we’re headed when they come back. It’s going to be about playing other teams now. We’ve been playing each other for a long time. That’s kind of the gist of it.”

(On if there are two weeks of OTAs remaining before the players are off until training camp)

“Yes. I say two weeks but you’re talking a week from this Wednesday is really the last one. So really I should say it’s 10 days or so and then they’re off until we come back. I’m not going to say the date because I’ll get it wrong, but it’s the end of July.”

(On if he has a flow chart for what he wants to accomplish in his first year)

“Things on paper – the training camp set up, where we are, what we’re going to do on game day – those kinds of things are all down in black and white. The other things that you might be talking about, I think I mentioned this before, right now the primary focus is on those things you really can’t measure. I’ve talked about that before – the team chemistry, the unity. I’m always pounding that. I’m always talking about how efficient they have or have not been on the practice field. I said this way back in the first mini-camp that it was a lot about learning how to practice. I think they’ve got it now. Although, I think we’re going to have a big challenge when they get here to training camp and it’s two-a-days and it’s pads and the heat’s bearing down....
                    -06-06-2009, 02:03 PM
                  • MauiRam
                    Transcript of Spags press conference ..
                    by MauiRam
                    Rams: Spagnuolo Transcript 7/27/09

(Opening Remarks)

“I just wanted a quick opportunity to say hello to everybody and to take any questions you have. As an update, the staff is here, we had a meeting at 11 and they are all fired up to go. The whole organization is excited, it’s that time of year.”

(On what he is thinking now that it is time to start after the tremendous buildup)

“It’s anxiety, it’s excitement, and there are a lot of unknowns. But that is what this thing is about. It’s a process. It’s a fun one, an enjoyable one. We will have some ups and downs. We know that going in, but I think everyone is looking forward to it.”

(On if there is anything to report on the unsigned draft picks)
                    “Not right now. I didn’t have a chance to check with (Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Chief Operating Officer) Kevin (Demoff) on the way here, but I know he’s working hard on that.”

(On if it is a concern for him that they are unsigned)

“No, it’s the NFL. That’s about the way that it happens.”

(On what he knew about the personnel and talent level of the Rams coming in to the job)

“Well I know now more than I knew before. I researched it, like I research all teams. We played against them last year, so I had a little bit of an idea, but its tough to really get an idea on the team and its talent until you’re in a situation where you’re around them. And we’ve done that, we just haven’t put the pads on yet.”

(On what WR Ronald Curry brings to the team)

“Some veteran leadership, he’s got some size, he’s a character guy, and I thought that was a good move by (General Manager) Billy (Devaney).”

(On the competition at Wide Receiver)

“They are all battling with each other and that’s how I see it at all the positions. I don’t think that it is any different at wide receiver.”

(On the logic behind wanting to have two-a-days)

“We are scheduled for two-a-days, but at a certain point in training camp, the second practice alters. They won’t be two similar practices, and we will change them after the early part of training camp.”

(On the possibility of injuries with two practices each day)

“Well you’re always concerned about injuries and you’re always balancing that as a head coach. How much do you hit, or how much do you go live? And then try and weigh out if you are going to get hurt by that. I know one thing, that when you get in-season it’s hard to have guys banging around then, and to think that players can get ready with Four live preseason games, I don’t think you can do it like that, so there has got to be some in there.”

(On how he feels his training camp will compare to others around the league in difficulty)

“I don’t know what the other...
                    -07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
                  • evil disco man
                    Camp Is Heating Up - Steven Jackson Blog
                    by evil disco man
                    from sj39.com...

I hope all of you are enjoying your summers. We're on that grind here in Rams camp.

We just wrapped up our last two-a-day of camp a few days ago and while it takes some pressure off of us, I can't say that I'd rather be without them. I think we need them. Two-a-days in training camp are definitely a necessary evil.

It allows for the team to start forming a sense of continuity and also it's hardening the team to become tough, working through tough, grueling, hot, sweltering summer days. It's one of those things that, although you hate it as a football player, you understand why there's a need for two-a-days.

An average two-a-day for an injured player or someone nursing a nagging injury begins at 6:30 am to get ready for the first practice. We have an 8:15 am practice and practice is two hours. When we finish practice, we get to shower down and have lunch. After lunch you have offensive meetings for another hour, then you get a short two-hour break. Then you come back for more meetings for 90 minutes. You have snack for an hour, then another two-hour practice and one more 90-minute meeting.

The idea of two-a-days is to build team unity and that works, but at a certain point you also get sick of seeing everybody. After two weeks of going through such a long schedule where actually your day is 14 hours easily, you do get tired of seeing each other. You get tired of competing against one another, so nerves and people reach a boiling point where the tension produces a short fuse.

But I also think it allows for team continuity. It allows for the team to grow. You're around guys for so long that you eventually begin to talk and you get to find out each other's background. You learn about each other's family, where guys are from, what schools they went to, their story and how they got themselves into the NFL.

When the breaks do come during those days you have to manage your time wisely. Every player is different. Some guys are trying to take care of injuries, some guys go and take a nap, while some guys read books. Everyone is different, you're talking about 90-plus men so everyone doesn't spend their time the same.

For me, with my two hours I'll go see my chiropractor if I have an appointment with him. Sometimes I'll go catch up on some reading or if I'm just downright tired I'll take and hour and a half long nap then give myself 30 minutes to get back to where I need to be. It's also used for day-to-day things like going to check my mailbox. Since you have such a short amount of time you have to manage it right.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
                    With one preseason game down, we're well on our way into training camp, but since not many cuts have been made so far, there's not as much excitement as there is nervousness around.

Guys are fighting for roster spots and trying to compete at a high level...
                    -08-20-2010, 07:07 PM
                  • RamWraith
                    THe Coach and Ike speak 7-29-07
                    by RamWraith
                    Head Coach Scott Linehan

July 29, 2006

(On today’s practice and the effects of the heat)

“Our guys managed it very well. I feel very good about how they pushed themselves through it. I thought it was our best full, intense practice of camp. We kept our intensity from start to finish and that’s what’s really, really important at this time. You can’t get caught up on the success or lack of success on either side of the ball as long as we’re sound and we’re playing through it and playing tough. That’s all we can ask (for) right now.”

(On why DT La’Roi Glover didn’t practice)

“He dropped too much weight last practice. He got it back to where he was probably medically cleared, it just didn’t make sense. You’ve got to manage the guys that have extreme weight loss. He does it every year. He’s a guy that sweats a lot and loses a lot of water weight. He’s had three good practices. He probably still lost weight out there coaching the young guys and trying to help. We just wanted to give him a break.”

(On getting acclimated to the training camp schedule)

“We’re on schedule now, everybody, coaches, players and everyone in the building. I think it’s a relief because now we can get into our routine and dig our heels in.”

(On the intensity of training camp thus far)

“It’s getting better. You always have to push the intensity, especially in the dog days, the two-a-days. I see a lot of the players doing it themselves. I always talk about policing yourself. I’d rather have them discipline themselves so others don’t have to. They do a very good job of that.”

(On Claude Terrell’s place on the depth chart)

“I think it’s pretty simple. He has to play well. He’s a big fella and conditioning can be an issue for a guy that competes at the highest level. He dropped his weight from where he was in the offseason, so he’s making positive progress there. He had a wrist injury that was nagging, so he fell behind in that area because he wasn’t able to practice. He’s come out here and showing why we were pretty impressed with how he played last year as a rookie.”

(On DB OJ Atogwe’s potential as a FS)

“One of the benefits we have, especially with having a veteran defensive staff, is that (OJ) was evaluated by everybody in the league last year. You can only pick so many (defensive backs), we had 10, but I’m sure we all had a pretty good grade on OJ at that time. The problem was that he didn’t play (last year), so he wasn’t evaluated off of playing last year, but more off of his potential and how he played as a college player. He fits all of the characteristics in a free safety. He has great size and range and toughness and I think his ball skills are very good. You’ve got a guy back there, a centerfielder....
                    -07-29-2006, 03:51 PM
                  Working...
                  X