• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson hauls larger load

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Sep. 24 2007

TAMPA, FLA. — There was no sideline tirade this week by Steven Jackson. Chances
    are, he was too weary to raise a ruckus.

A week after noisily venting his frustration near the close of a one-point loss
    to San Francisco — and later apologizing to his teammates — Jackson was
    unleashed Sunday against Tampa Bay.

Jackson carried 30 times for 115 yards and caught four passes for 18 yards. But
    in the end, little changed for the woebegone Rams. Again, their offense fizzled
    with the end zone in sight, and they limped home toting a punchless 24-3 loss
    and a feckless 0-3 record.

"(Jackson) ran hard," quarterback Marc Bulger said. "The first half he was
    getting a ton of touches, and that was good to see, because as the game goes on
    he gets stronger. It was working. Unfortunately, we still couldn't put it in
    the end zone."

Jackson led the NFL in yards from scrimmage in 2006, averaging 145.9 per game
    rushing and receiving.

But in the first two games this year, he'd produced a meager 157 yards total;
    that ranked 38th in the league. He was shackled partly because the coaches
    called twice as many pass plays as runs.

It was different vs. the Bucs: Of 61 Rams plays, 34 — or 55 percent — were
    runs.

"That was a huge emphasis," center Brett Romberg said. "Steven Jackson is one
    of the prime backs in this league, and to have him have nowhere near what he
    wanted to have, it's pretty embarrassing on our part."

Said Jackson: "We kind of figured we were going to be able to pound the ball on
    them, go up and down the field. And in the red zone, we wanted to be able to
    execute. That's where we came up short."

The Rams ventured inside the Bucs' 20-yard line twice. The first trip ended
    with an interception in the end zone; the second resulted in a field goal. For
    the season, the Rams have produced just two touchdowns in eight red-zone tries.

What's the problem? "I don't know, but it's not from lack of trying," Bulger
    said. "We're trying as hard as we can, but ... trying only gets you so far.
    Maybe in high school or grade school it works. But in the NFL, it's about
    productivity, and we're not getting it done."

Nobody in the dreary visitors' locker room, however, was questioning Jackson's
    effort. "He's really a delight to block for, because he'll make the most out of
    everything," said tackle Adam Goldberg. "It's nice to have No. 39 behind you."

Even nicer would be to put a few touchdowns on the scoreboard.

"You've just got to show your character now," Jackson said. "If you're a leader
    you're going to lead, and if you're a follower you're going to follow. While
    I'm on this team, I'm going to make sure no one quits. We're going to fight."

Re: Jackson hauls larger load

"You've just got to show your character now," Jackson said. "If you're a leader
    you're going to lead, and if you're a follower you're going to follow. While
    I'm on this team, I'm going to make sure no one quits. We're going to fight."
    Steven is jumping on the character band wagon.

Let's hope more of them have some fight left in them.
    sigpic

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
      Jackson: ‘no excuse’ for two lost fumbles
      by RamWraith
      By Bill Coats
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      Monday, Dec. 08 2008
      GLENDALE, ARIZ. — Late Sunday evening in Henderson, Nev., Steve Jackson
      received his weekly phone call from his son. Rams running back Steven Jackson
      knew what he'd hear even before he dialed the number.

"He'll tell me to keep my head up, but make sure that I take care of the ball,"
      he said. "That's what a running back has to do."

Fumbling is a rare offense by Jackson, but he lost two in the third quarter
      Sunday that contributed to Arizona's NFC West-clinching 34-10 victory.

Trailing 20-7, the Rams were driving to make it a one-score deficit when
      Jackson coughed up the ball, with linebacker Karlos Dansby recovering at the
      Cardinals' 22-yard line. On the Rams' next series, defensive tackle Darnell
      Dockett scooped up another Jackson bobble and ran 11 yards for a touchdown that
      made it 27-7.

Linebacker Gerald Hayes, who forced both fumbles, said, "When I looked back and
      saw Dockett was going to score, it was like a sigh of relief. You make one play
      and then it turns into an even bigger play."

Playing on an improving right leg, Jackson rolled up 48 yards on eight carries
      in the first half at University of Phoenix Stadium. "I was really excited
      coming into the game, knowing that the leg was starting to feel really good,"
      said Jackson, who had come back the previous week after missing four games and
      most of a fifth with a strained thigh muscle.

"Steven's a monster," said Adam Goldberg, who started at right tackle. "It's an
      honor to block for him, because you know that he'll pound out the tough yards
      and he'll work just as hard and play just as physically as you do up front."

The Cardinals are 10th in the NFL in total defense, and Jackson rarely had much
      room to operate. "I knew it was going to be a tough game," he said. "They have
      a defense that's really physical."

In addition to a strong and active front seven, the Big Red secondary is stout
      against the run, Jackson pointed out. "Their corners do a good job of keeping
      containment and forcing the run to stay within the tackles," he said. "And
      their linebackers and their safeties do a good job with gap protections."

Jackson finished with 64 yards on 19 carries.

Quarterback Marc Bulger has been sacked just once in the last two games, and
      it's no coincidence, wide receiver Dane Looker stressed.

Jackson's presence "poses a threat for the defense," Looker said. "They really
      have to make sure that they stop the run. ... A good running game opens up
      everything else in the offense."
      -12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
    • Rambos
      Jackson Hoping for Breakout
      by Rambos
      Jackson Hoping for Breakout
      Wednesday, September 19, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
      Senior Writer

Clearly frustrated as he stalked off the field after another performance below his and the Rams’ lofty expectations and standards, running back Steven Jackson simply couldn’t hold it in any longer.

Jackson vented his frustrations like many players do, yelling on the sideline to nobody in particular. On Wednesday, he stood up before his teammates and issued an apology just in case anybody took Sunday’s outburst the wrong way.

“I didn’t want anything to get out of hand,” Jackson said. “I didn’t know how guys took it, so I didn’t want them read something and then think what they’re reading is true. I wanted to let them know from my heart and talk to them without being scripted – let them know how I felt and what happened and explain to them that there were no problems.”

Jackson’s apology was accepted with no questions asked by most of his teammates. Center Brett Romberg said he was proud of the way Jackson stood up and was accountable for what happened.

“The man was frustrated,” Romberg said. “He has high expectations, he’s an amazing competitor and falling short of any kind of goal he is setting is going to be frustrating on his part. He wanted to come over and voice his opinion and let us know what he’s thinking which is welcome. We just took with it and said forget about it man, let’s roll. We have another game to play this week.”

And with that, Jackson and the Rams turned the page and put their full focus on getting a ground game that finished with a flourish in 2006 back on track after a pair of performances that met nobody’s goals.

In the first two games of this season, Jackson has rushed for just 118 yards on 39 carries, an average of 3 yards per attempt, well below the bar Jackson set when he entered the season with a goal of reaching 2,500 yards from scrimmage.

Additionally, Jackson hasn’t been as much of a threat out of the backfield as he was in 2006, catching four passes for 39 yards. He also has yet to score a touchdown.

All of those numbers and, more important, an 0-2 record, mounted up to the frustration that came out in the final stages of Sunday’s loss to the *****.

“I think we all knew where he was coming from,” Jackson said. “He was just probably a little frustrated like all of us. I don’t think Steven needs to apologize to us because he is competitive and it wasn’t directed at anyone so I’m sure everyone accepts his apology. Personally I don’t think anything was necessary.”

What is necessary for the Rams to get into the win column, though, is a rejuvenated rushing attack that more closely resembles the one that steamrollered over Oakland, Minnesota and Washington at the end of last season.

Clearly Jackson established himself as one...
      -09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
    • RamWraith
      Jackson sets new standard
      by RamWraith
      BY NORM SANDERS
      News-Democrat
      ST. LOUIS - Team praises him for speed, ability

After getting only 14 chances to touch the ball last week in a 15-0 loss at Carolina, St. Louis Rams Steven Jackson was the focal point on offense against San Francisco.

The 6-foot-2, 231-pound back resembled a runaway freight train much of the day. He pounded out 121 yards rushing on 23 carries, including a 36-yard touchdown run, and also had nine catches for 71 yards.

Jackson had 103 yards on 17 carries by halftime, including the 36-yard TD run. He carried the ball only seven times last week for a season-low 27 yards against Carolina, with the Rams throwing 41 passes.

After catching 13 passes against Kansas City on Nov. 5, Jackson joked about being a "big Marshall Faulk," referencing the Rams' future Hall of Fame running back known for his versatility.

Jackson is among the top three NFL running backs in receptions and receiving yardage.

"To be honest with you, I've been able to catch the ball," said Jackson, the team's second-leading receiver with 63 catches for 553 yards. "I just said that jokingly because for so long I've been having to live with that shadow. Hopefully with this year we can get that way from it and allow me to be Steven Jackson -- and allow people in the general public to see what I'm able to bring to this game."

Jackson also has 932 yards rushing and six TDs on 218 carries.

"There are some great backs in the league, but I think he's up there with the best of them," Rams defensive end Leonard Little said.

On the Rams' fourth-quarter drive that led to a 20-17 victory, Jackson had the ball in his hands on six of the 12 plays.

He twice converted first downs on fourth-and-1 plays, including a 4-yard run that set up the winning touchdown pass from Marc Bulger to Kevin Curtis.

"Coming into the game, we felt like on fourth-and-1 or short yardage, we were going to spread them out and allow for the running game to open up," Jackson said.

Rams coach Scott Linehan praised Jackson's performance.

"It was huge," Linehan said. "We have to continue to ride that. It's going to give us the ability to stay on the field and put ourselves in better third-down situations."

Jackson enjoyed a big day despite the Rams' patchwork offensive line. The line was without injured all-pro left tackle Orlando Pace and included Todd Steussie at left tackle, rookie starter Mark Setterstrom at left guard and backup center Brett Romberg, who filled in when Richie Incognito was injured.

"Guys stepped up big time," Jackson said. "We had a rookie (Setterstrom) in there and he did a great job. On fourth-and-1 I don't know if you realized it, but we ran right behind him. That...
      -11-27-2006, 11:27 AM
    • RamWraith
      Rams' Steven Jackson finishes with 1,000-yard season
      by RamWraith
      By Bill Coats
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      Monday, Dec. 29 2008

ATLANTA — If the numbers that Rams running back Steven Jackson amassed Sunday
      were replicated throughout a 16-game season, the NFL record book would take a
      nasty beating.

In a stirring 31-27 loss to the playoff-bound Atlanta Falcons, Jackson rushed
      for 161 yards; that would add up to 2,576 for a full season. He also had 54
      receiving yards; that's 864 for a full season and an outlandish total of 3,440
      yards from scrimmage.

Of course, Jackson came nowhere near those totals. He missed four games and
      most of a fifth with a strained thigh muscle, then was hampered by a sore
      hamstring down the stretch.

Still, he finished with 1,040 yards on the ground and 379 through the air.
      Jackson is the first Rams back to rush for 1,000 yards in four consecutive
      seasons since Pro Football Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson (1983-86).

"It means a lot. I look up to Eric Dickerson … I look up to a lot of backs that
      have been a part of this franchise," said Jackson, a fifth-year pro. "It's been
      a rough couple of seasons for me, just being banged up. Still being able to
      reach 1,000 yards in 12 games, I think there's something I can take from it. …

"We're talking about individual things right now, and that's all great. But at
      the end of the day, I want to be in the playoffs and I want to be in the Super
      Bowl, and hopefully win one."

The Rams, ranked 27th in the 32-team NFL in rushing coming into the game, piled
      up a season-high 201 yards on the ground. They averaged 5.5 yards per attempt
      despite playing without both first-team guards.

"Ever since I came in, my personal goal was obviously to play well, but also to
      get (Jackson) what he deserves," center Brett Romberg said. "He's a hell of a
      running back in this league, definitely the best that I've played with in the
      NFL. His opportunities are endless."

Getting Jackson past the 1,000-yard mark "was something we wanted to do for
      him," guard Adam Goldberg said. "Steven is a real special player, and it's our
      honor to block for him."

Actually, Jackson topped 1,000 twice. A 2-yard pickup with 5˝ minutes left in
      the third quarter got him to 1,001. But he fell back to 999 when he lost 2
      yards on his next try. He moved to 1,000 with a 1-yarder up the middle two
      plays later — and he stayed in four figures the rest of the way.

Still, Jackson's most eye-popping play came on a short toss from quarterback
      Marc Bulger on third-and-9 early in the final period. Jackson reached back and
      made the catch with one hand, turned upfield and hurdled a would-be tackler
      -12-29-2008, 05:37 AM
    • RamDez
      He leads NFL ball carriers in total yards
      by RamDez
      BY STEVE KORTE
      News-Democrat
      ST. LOUIS - Steven Jackson is proving that he can be an all-purpose running back.
      Jackson leads NFL running backs in yards from scrimmage this season with 531 -- 367 rushing yards and 164 receiving yards -- this season. San Francisco's Frank Gore is second with 460 yards.
      "It's all the same," Jackson said of being both a receiver and a runner. "Once you get the ball you're a running back anyway, so it doesn't matter."
      Jackson jokingly referred to himself as a "Big Marshall Faulk" -- arguably the best all-purpose back in NFL history -- after gaining 146 yards from scrimmage in the St. Louis Rams' 41-34 win over the Detroit Lions on Sunday.
      "Coach (Scott Linehan) has opened the offense a little bit because after those first few weeks when the running game was so successful, we have faced a lot of eight-man boxes that are geared to stop the run," Jackson said. "The defense was trying to take that element away from us, so he wanted to get me involved in other ways and still contribute to the game and push the ball downfield. If we can't get it in the running game, we'll get some short passes."
      Jackson is on pace for 60 receptions for 656 yards after having only 43 receptions for 320 yards last season.
      "I've always had these talents," Jackson said of receiving skills. "They just didn't pop up overnight. It's just the fact that I'm able to put up stats now. That's what we all look at, I guess."
      To Linehan, it's all about getting the ball in Jackson's hands. Jackson is averaging 26 touches per game this season.
      "Certainly he's our main ballcarrier, and to be able to get him involved some in the passing game gives the ability to use him in two ways, as opposed to just handing him the ball," Linehan said. "He does a lot with it once he's got it in his hands, too. I think that the sensible thing is to figure out more ways to get it in his hands."
      Jackson said the Rams' entire offensive unit seems to be finally feeling comfortable with Linehan's system.
      "That's how offense goes," Jackson said. "Defense goes faster than offense, and we need to all get on one accord. So much goes into an offense. The timing of the receivers and the quarterbacks, the pass protection, making sure the running backs and the offensive line are on (the same page). It's so much that goes into it, but once it clicks, it clicks."
      Jackson got his first rushing touchdown last Sunday as he ran into the end zone untouched from 1 yard out.
      "To get our first rushing touchdown makes it feels like, now we've done it," Jackson said. "When you can't do it sometimes, you start to overemphasize on it. Once we got in there, we got settled in and we know that we're firing on all cylinders now."
      Rams quarterback Marc Bulger said Jackson's touchdown run was...
      -10-07-2006, 03:33 PM
    Working...
    X