X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Reports on Weds Evening Practice

From the Herd Board-

Posted by MoRam
    Last night the Rams held practice on the stadium field. It was nice to be high enough to see the movement everywhere on the field. The practice opened fairly slowly with the usual drills. No pads or hitting. There were several drills to watch. The QBs threw to the receiver corp. The linemen pushed on each other some. The DBs ran coverage drills. Usual stuff.
    After about 20 minutes of drills, they ran walkthroughs. Nothing too exciting.

Then the teams began to run some plays. You could feel the competitiveness of these guys build not long after this began. It was not supposed to be this intense, but as the plays passed these guys began to compete with each other.

The receivers looked excellent. In past camps we had so many of the receivers with injuries that you had four or five people to run all the plays. This year I haven't seen any of the recivers gimpy. Bruce and Holt are performing at their usual level and Looker is improved from last year, but everyone is healthy so you have Mcdonald, Curtis, Furry and Coleman to run routes also. Most everyone has been catching balls you would expect caught, but there have been some drops and aa few circus catches by Looker and Curtis. All are up to speed. Looker caught a fairly long throw over the middle that was very well thrown at about 40 yards. It was a good split on the zone by Looker and a well thrown ball by Bulger. A little hope maybe? Chandler has found people nd thrown well. I feel the ball is back there too long, so we will have to see what develops as far as pressure.

DB must not be well. Fisher and Butler sat all day and didn't do much of anything. Cody was in his usual spot by the trainer. I wish we could find a DB that was full sized. We appear to have very small people at the position across the board.

The d-line is bigger this year. Lewis and Pickett seemed active in the middle, but this was a scrum, so who knows where we sit until the hitting starts. Kennedy seems to be in a little better shape this year, but I will wait to see something before I add him to the plus column. I didn't see anything to be high or low about so far. There may be a couple of surprises out of camp. Flowers and Hargrove seem agile and quick, but no one is knocking heads yet.

On the TE front, Manumaleuna seems to have lost a little bulk. Mike Brake is getting some reps there as well as Nick Burly. Brake is in a position to block well most of the plays. If he can blockup to snuff, he will help. He finds his man and gets there almost every play.

O line is thin. Pace will take a few weeks to adjust again this year after the season starts, so I hope King and Randall develop. I don't see the experience of past years.
    Jackson needs a map still. Once again last night he was on the wrong side for a play. He seems the real deal as far as cuts and speed. If the O-line can get him loose, he looks like he is elusive and could put the hurt on you if you catch him. A small knee wrap on the left knee last night.
    I need to get ready for the afternoon practice. More later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Old Hacker

That's what I'm seeing this year, real intense work on the practice field, the team seems serios, more so then I've observed in the past.

Bulger is taking control, last night Jackson lined up in the wrong spot and Bulger went over and moved him, last year he'd never had done that, BTW, he threw a long pass up the middle to Looker that was as good a long pass as I've ever seen.

No pads so can't say much about "O" or "D" line play, they'll go up against Chicago at 3PM, we should be able to tell more then, I still like King, but after my St Clair indorcement, a few years ago, I'll wait.

We are loaded with WR's and RB's, we lack OL & Fb's & TE. although Manu looks sleaker and appears to know his assignments.

Smoker has a rifle, most are more impress with Chandler then I am, he throws some nice passes, but he'll never get that kinda time.

The speed of Timmerman and McCollum in the 100yd walk is something to behold, the Snowman doing some announceing at the stadium pointed this out to the crowd.

Beer is still cold in Macomb, but I've starting to take a liking to Michelob Light.

The last couple of years, Martz would cut practice short on ocassion, but I never saw a practice go over the scheduled time.

Both practices I observed this year are longer then the alloted time.

The team is flying, no dragging, but the weather is perfect, cool and little humitity.

Sorry guys no spell check, just sound it out.

Old Hacker

"Go Rams !!!!!!!!!!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Bucky

With Jack Snow in the booth, Howard Balzer on the sidelines, and a beautiful evening in the low 60's under the lights at the Stadium, everything was perfect for a good workout.

It was Martz Mania. The rules are so slanted toward the offense that it's ridiculous. No tackling, no ending the play when the QB trapped and little mugging of the receivers. Since Little and Aeneas played sparingly, Fisher, Butler and Hargrove not at all, the offense must have put up 99 points. Not sure what it all means.

Democracy ended this night. Till now everybody was getting a chance to play but Martz started limiting opportunity today. Some guys like TE Brake, the linemen on both sides and the d backs had a lot of chances to show what they have. However, guys like Smoker, Michna, McGrorty, and all the receivers beyond Coleman must see that the writing is on the wall.

For over an hour Martz ran a play almost every thirty seconds. Bulger was at the top of his game, beautiful sideline shots, quick dumpoffs and even a couple of long passes. Really got the ball off well with no hesitation. He played with all the formations, from two TE to 4 WR's plus the RB going into the pattern. Accurate and composed.

Marshall opened the practice with a run that had people oohing. He continued to show well, no indication of any knee problems. Gordon seemed fine. Jackson had a bandage around his right knee, Harris on his left but they played and showed well. Jackson was even used with the punt team as a blocker, then tackler.

The receivers are just great to watch in this type of action. Torry and Ike are the best but Curtis, Looker, Furrey and McDonald each had a nice showing and seem to guarantee that the Rams will have the receivers this team needs for this offense even if one or two get nicked. I don't think I've seen Looker drop one ball since I've been here. McDonald concluded the festivities with a diving catch into the end zone in the two minute drill.

Tyoka got a lot of work at LDE. Lewis, Pickett, Kennedy and Howard got the bulk of the work at DT. Holsey was in the warm ups but I don't think he played.

They were using Pisa and Justin Smith as their nickel LB's. Polley and Thomas didn't get much play and Faulk hardly played at all. Loyd and Newsome continued at 2nd string OLB.

Garrett and Groce saw a lot of action.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mercclass
    Monday at Macomb
    by Mercclass
    Went up to Macomb to catch the afternoon practice and wanted to post a few of my observations.

Camp runs so smooth from begining to end with all the signal horns in between. The people in the Western Ill/ Macomb area are all incredibly nice.

Marc Bulger is clearly the number 1 starter for this team. His passes were all excellent and on the money. During seven on sevens and eleven on elevens I think only one ball hit the ground (A Shaun McDonald drop if I remember correctly) I may have caught Smoker on a bad day but he and Michna performed at about the same level during the drills and practices I saw. Both show good arm strength but not the same accuracy and quick release that Bulger has. I think they each threw an Int during drills. Although Smoker threw a beautiful fade route to Manu during a goaline drill (Bulger did as well). Just throwing to the WR during a CB cover drill Michna looked a little shaky. Chandler helped out with the running backs during their drills but didn't get any snaps during the seven on sevens or eleven on elevens.

Marshall looks fine. Although the running backs weren't running full speed. He also didn't make any big cuts either but he looked normal. Arlen got most of the backup touches and he looks just as fast as last year only larger. Jackson got in on a few of the drills but they were all non-contact.

Kevin Curtis is better than Dane Looker I'm sorry. Dane looked solid but Kevin is just a budding star. He roasted a couple of CB's during their coverage drills and his concentration and hands are remarkable. Shaun McDonald fielded punts very well and is extremely shifty he didn't get to run any back but just his first few steps after the catch made him look dangerous. He also made a terrific catch on an angled punt from Landeta that was pretty difficult to field. Furrey on the other hand muffed a punt and doesn't look like he's as good as the others (Looker or McDonald). Isaac only practiced a little bit on Monday during seven on sevens but when he stepped on the field you just new he was there. He is just so smooth. Torry is clearly the best wide receiver the Rams have. He outran out caught and out performed anyone who lined up across from him during drills the whole time telling jokes hammin it up and laughing. He makes it look so easy. Look for another big year from him if he can stay healthy.

I didn't concentrate too much on the O-Line. But some of the one on one drills were very telling. Eric Flowers is quick! During one drill he beat his blocker so quickly it almost seemed like his O llineman just wasn't ready or sumthin Flowers deked and went right around him to the outside while the O lineman pushed at air.. Tyoka put a devestating spin move on another pour soul to get to the quarterback on the very next snap it didn't look fair at all. I thought the drill was just weighted towards the defensive player until I saw another O lineman smother...
    -08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
  • RamDez
    RamView, July 30, 2005 - By Mike Franke
    by RamDez
    RamView, July 30, 2005
    From RamsPark

By Mike Franke

Caveat emptor: I've been to several of these and you'd think I'd know what I'm looking at by now, but there's a lot going on and it is very easy to miss things. I'm reporting on a combination of what I saw during offensive drills, 9-on-7 passing drills and the 11-on-11 scrimmage from Saturday morning's practice.

Position by position:
    * QB: Marc Bulger looks right on, throwing very accurately, squeezing pinpoint passes in between defenders. I didn't get to see a lot of his long ball. I did get to see a lot of Jamie Martin's, which have hang time. Martin also foundered badly against practice blitzes and had a few bad-looking throwaways. He looks a lot more comfortable throwing short passes than anything over, say, five yards. In my opinion he's no lock for the team if the young guys "step up." Except. Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't impress me much until he dropped a nice long pass into Brandon Middleton's hands on his last play. And I didn't see Jeff Smoker much in the scrimmages at all. Don't know what's up with that. He served mostly as the QB (target) in pass-rush drills.

* RB: Stephen Jackson and Adam Archuleta got in the first "fight" of training camp. Jackson, wearing one of the gold "don't touch me" jerseys, gave Arch some kind of forearm shiver, and exceptions were exchanged. Stephen showed his usual ability to weave through traffic, though I'd contend the running game would not have been very successful in a full-contact scenario. Marshall Faulk got some work, but not much heavy lifting. Aveion Cason would have taken a long pass all the way on a play where the defense blew the coverage, and showed nice quickness. In my opinion, he'd be the #3 ahead of Arlen Harris, but Harris didn't look too bad out there himself. Madison Hedgecock dropped the only pass I saw thrown to him, but makes up for that by being a big ol' boy who likes to hit. He probably did the best hitting out there.

* Receivers: Brandon Middleton had the two most visible plays, snagging a couple of deep balls. Dane Looker had a long catch against broken coverage. Kevin Curtis dived to haul in a long Martin floater along the far sideline, even though he was well-covered. Kid has hands of glue. Dante Ridgeway ripped away a DB's attempt to pick off a bad hot pass and probably would have had a long gainer. Shaun McDonald had a brutal drop of an open long ball. I believe Michael Coleman also had a drop.

* Offensive line: Maybe Orlando Pace really doesn't need training camp. It doesn't look like he needs it, anyway. Pace mainly toyed with Anthony Hargrove and got an ovation from the crowd (how cool is that?) after one last futile attempt by Hargrove to beat him during one-on-one drills. Right tackle doesn't look nearly as sure. Alex Barron isn’t in camp. Blaine Saipaia looks like the best of the pack; he flattened...
    -07-30-2005, 04:05 PM
  • psycho9985
    Camp notes through different eyes
    by psycho9985
    -01-05 02:21 PM by ShakyCamp Report - Monday 8/1, by blockntackle

Big crowd today.

Looked for Hacker but the new slimmer model is hard to find. I spoke with my security buddy and he said that there has been a "stalker" bothering Bruce. Has anyone seen ~Lyser?

Great drill with the TEs against the DEs to start off the morning. Coaches Martz, Kollar, Marmie, Falks, Carter all over this drill. The drill simulated a hand-off and the TE had to seal off while the DE tried to penetrate. Roland Williams was the best of the TEs, Manu was unspectacular and caught a few remarks from Martz. Collins was being coached up big time by Martz and Falks. By the end, Collins was holding his own and getting positive feedback form the coaches. Jensen watched. Kollar just yelled and barked at Little, Hargrove and Green. Green was noticeably less effective than Little or Hargrove. Green didn't show much at all.

Watched the Dline go through drills out of a cage, coming out of their stance and delivering a pop. This is the drill where Barron would "ping" his helmet on the crossbar in mini-camp. You have to stay low and deliver a pop. Hargrove is non-stop, Lewis looked good too. Pickett and Tyoka went through the motions. Kollar had a word or two with Tyoka who looked a bit pissed.

After every whistle or change of drill, Martz was yelling to get going and pick up the pace. The overall pace was much faster than day one (last time I was at camp) although some players (like Pickett and Tucker) looked tired and slow. On two occasions, Martz was not happy with the speed in which the offense broke huddle and got set. Each time he called off the play and barked out a new play...all the while yelling for them to hurry and pick up the pace.

The defense seemed to take the day. The offense looked awkward and was having trouble hitting their stride. We've all seen that before.....in games. Martz was visibly unhappy with many parts of the practice.

Martz called out McCollum during contact scrimmage late in practice calling out "McCollum you just had your _ss handed to you" and repeated it a couple more times. Martz also chastised WR Dominic Robinson for lining up wrong and later really got after Hedgecock for missing an assignment. Hedge was expected to move out into the flat as a safety valve for Fitzpatrick but he stayed inside to block. Fitzpatrick had to run for it. Martz yelled at Hedgecock "what position were you playing?....the "F" right?.....He's looking to give you the ball, son......thats your job!". Yeah, Martz was doing a lot of yelling today. Earlier, Hedgecock did just the opposite and left/missed his blocking assignment which allowed Coakley to walk right in on Bulger. Tough day for the rookie.

Collins also had some tough moments. Late in practice the team scrimmage full contact. Fitzpatrick
    -08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
  • Mercclass
    Saturday Scrimage
    by Mercclass
    We got there a little before ten and the Rams were still working on some separate offensive and defensive drills. Me and my buddy kinda were just talkin through those until the actual scrimmage started (as were most of the people around us).

I'm trying to go strictly from memory so I'll let you know some observations on select people that I watched and an overall sense of things.

The officials showed up (actually right when we were walking into the practice facility) and had a flag for Dwight Anderson on one of his coverage plays waiting for him although he did a pretty good job in coverage today with the second unit.

Tye Hill looked really good. His first play on the field with the #2's they through right at him. He had very tight coverage on McDonald but McDonald's last move to get the separation would have shook Deion himself and ended up being a completion. But other than that he had solid coverage on several other plays covering Dane Looker and even covering bigger TE's like Aaron Walker. One play in particular Tye was covering Aaron Walker on a fade in the endzone. Fitz through an almost perfect ball just a little long, Hill had perfect coverage, and Aaron just barely missed bringing in a tough catch. Hill hurt his shoulder on one play but returned and played great.

Claude Wroten didn't play with the one's but looked great against the two's. He split the guard center on a bull rush on about his second or third snap and had what would of been a sack. On another play he put a beautiful spin move on the guard and got great pressure on the quarterback to get him to dump off to the back in the flat.

Today was the Torry Holt show. During redzone drills he caught I believe three straight touchdown passes. Poor Fakhir was his victim each time I believe. It was funny because after every touchdown he would throw the ball into the crowd (much to the equipment guy's chagrin) each time the equipment guys kept trying to get the people in the crowd to throw the ball back but this ain't Wrigley. Eventually the people were brow beat into throwing the balls back to a chorus of boo's. But from what I could tell they gave the balls back to the recipient's later. It was a lot of fun.

Bulger looked sharp, Ferotte looked C-, Fitz looked excellent, and Ragone was woeful! Ragone finally got into a little bit of a rythm during the last series but I think it was too little too late.

Steven Jackson was ineffective. The defense had the run bottled up pretty good even on the edges with the one's. Some people were complaining about him not hitting the whole. I think he's trying to work on his patience like Marshall had (at least I hope so).

Kevin Curtis is a stud! He had some good catches as much as Linehan is trying to implement more running and more TE's I think the bread and butter of this offense is still going to be the wideouts.

I didn't...
    -08-05-2006, 12:36 PM
  • RamDez
    RamView
    by RamDez
    RamView, September 2, 2004

From the Couch

(Report and opinions from the game.)

Preseason Game #4: Raiders 28, Rams 24

The Rams churn out a lot of ground yardage, but don't do enough on defense to stave off the Raiders.

Bright spots: Good offensive line play all-around; no significant new injuries.

Position by position:

* QB: Marc Bulger played only the first series and was perfect (3-3-66), sandwiching a 46-yard pass to Cam Cleeland within two quick hitters to Marshall Faulk, who scored a 7-yard TD on the last one. Not as much of Bulger as I would have preferred to see, but he ended the Washington game well and was rolling in this one, so I guess he's maintaining positive momentum. Chris Chandler (6-9-85) played the rest of the first half and looked fine, again getting mostly excellent protection. Jeff Smoker played the whole second half, mostly handing off, but he got enough action (10-15-105) to show nice poise on third down, and he drove the offense to a couple of TDs. Jeff's got some mechanics to work out, though. Many of his passes were too low, at the receiver's feet, or too low at the line of scrimmage, where he gave up a couple of tip balls, one of which the Raiders intercepted. His second interception was the game-ending pass, so the two picks aren't as bad as they look at first. Heading into the season opener, then, it looks like Bulger's back into the groove a little bit, and his backups are capable and know what they're doing for the most part a nice place to be.

* RB: The Ram running game was Hydra-like, a multi-headed threat that scared up 171 yards on the ground. Faulk was just 4-11 but had two catches for 20. The receptions engaged him more in the offense than last week, and he flashed a little more speed and drive than we saw against Washington. Lamar Gordon had his annual "oops, my job is being threatened" night, where he suddenly puts all his aches and pains aside and has a big night, 22-77. Lamar ran with a lot of power and effort behind the solid Rams front, and also had some outside runs where he turned the corner quite well. He's probably the Rams' best outside runner. He foolishly pulled himself off the field at one point for some little ding, though, or maybe a breath, and that was Stephen Jackson's cue. The rookie tore off another 72 yards on 12 carries. He did a lot of his work right up the middle again, and showed not just Gordon's power and effort, but some of Faulk's footwork and elusiveness. Another good night from the team preseason offensive MVP. All the RBs took good care of the ball, too, including Arlen Harris, who added another 19 yards on 6 rushes, as the Rams seem likely to carry all four tailbacks into the regular season. Waiver bait: Dusty McGrorty.

* WR: Marchin' Martz only called pass plays about...
    -09-04-2004, 01:58 AM
Working...
X