Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Synopsis Of The Rams So Far: New Guy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Synopsis Of The Rams So Far: New Guy!

:r First of all, I am new here. *Waves* Names Robert and I am an avid Ram fan. I don't care how bad they play.. I just find myself comming back to game after game.

However, I am also very much like a sports radio personality. So, if I see the Rams coaches or players do something stupid - I'm going to point it out. Obviously this season has been a mitigated disaster. While I think Linehan might be one of the worse offensive cordinator/head coaches I've seen, I also think there are some other issues we (as fans) have not really looked at enough.

Linehan is right about one thing - We've been in a position to win 2 games. In both situations Turnovers and basically Jeff Wilkins have failed. With me saying that, I can't stand the playcalling. The playcalling I've seen completely ignores the kind of talent we have in place. As a result we have this "prevent offense" (thanks Bernie) which results in an offense and team that CANNOT MAKE ONE MISTAKE. They have somehow be perfect. Every off-tackle run has to net +5 yards. Every pass has to get +5 yards. Every field goal has to be perfect. Nothing can go wrong, or we lose.

This was never more obvious than against Carolina. The Rams respond to Carolina's touchdown with a touchdown of their own. Down near the goaline the Rams come out on 2ND DOWN and go with 4 wides and throw a touchdown pass to Holt. It's now 2 weeks later and I've never seen a pass like that called on 1st or 2nd down in the redzone again. When the Rams get to the redzone now, they run twice and pass on third down EVERYTIME. Then trot out Wilkens who then misses.

Now, another thing I think get's ignored - because the playcalling has just been so bad - are the injuries. I've not seen a team this beat up, so early before. Which takes me to our strength and conditioning guy. What is he doing?? Why is everyone getting injuried, not by hits but just from playing ball?

Next weekend, I don't expect the Rams to beat Dallas - none of us do. We just want to see them try to win, instead of trying not to lose. Too much goes wrong. I'm not so sure losing Jackson doesnt help our cause. Or my cause. My cause is to see Linehan stop being such a pussy and go for it. Let er' rip. He's been playing not to lose and were 0-3. It's not working and now we have no Jackson.

I don't mind cheering for an 0-3 team, that still has Jackson/Bulger/Holt and the Rev. With the defense improving there's room for some hope. This offense needs to play harder and more desperate.

Re: My Synopsis Of The Rams So Far: New Guy!

This offense needs to play harder and more desperate. -- Btimsah
    So true. And this is the game to go for it that way.

Glad you're a Diehard, regardless (okay to point out our team's failures too). Welcome to the Clan. Sept. 30 is an important day!

Comment

Nice to see that I am not the only new ClanRam member. Nice to meet you. I moved and spent over two grand just to see the Rams on DIRECTV. Last year was a good season, I hope this will turn out better. GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't think Wilkins lost the game for us. There were too many other problems than to blame him. If we had good play calling and a decent coach, the wilkins misses would be moot.
        The Rams... Where dreams go to die.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• viper
          Alas..the sky is falling once again
          by viper
          It never ceases to amaze me, how quickly my fellow Ram's fans will turn on thier team, their players and their coach. The clouds of "doom and gloom" lye low above the legion once again. Again the naysayers have their day, to lay their spew upon the feet of the horns.

Ohhhh no, we've lost to the lowly dirty birds, Ohhh no, we've lost 6 out of the last 7 games, Ohh no, our captain has spoke out to the media about a few of his undisciplined guardians, possibly upsetting a few teammates, Oh no, our coach won't take responsibility and demand accountability from his youthful squires on the front lines, let alone the team as a whole.

Granted, the legion has seen better days. But, why is it that the masses choose to dwell on the "darker side" of things rather the hope of a brighter day to come. Is there not a chance, a hope that a brighter day shall dawn as a result of the upcoming offseason. This season is lost, no doubt. Who can say that this was not a distinct possibility, considering that we would be brandishing a new head coach, a new defensive coordinator, new offensive and defensive schemes, new free agents, untested rookies and a decimated offensive line. Add to that a previously dysfunctional run defense, pass defense and special teams for the last several years and what do you get? The "2006 St. Louis Rams!" Hooray! We got exactly what we "should have" expected. Or at least considered the possibility that it could be a tough year. Well guess what, it has turned out to be a "tough year." A downright bleak season.

But, ya know what, believe it or not, there has been improvement over last year. Our special teams have improved significantly in punting, coverage and returns. Our defense, is doing better in the turnover battle, our pass defense is improved and as hard as it may be to believe we do seem to be better at keeping opponents from scoring on us as much.

Its easy to throw fuel on the fire proclaiming how terrible things are when the going gets tough. The question is where are you when your team needs your support? Anybody can belittle a losing team...and their is no question we are losing right now. But, in doing so, are you any better than the opposing team's fans that come to diss on your team. I haven't seen too many "positive" threads lately about our team that make me feel like this is the Rams home.

I, personally, have unwavering faith in the positve attributes of the Rams! I choose not to wallow in the ever increasing muck and mire that seems to be prevalent around here lately. I agree that we are not where we want to be...far from it. But, I'm not going to participate in any "hanging" or "slop" parties or anything of the like.

Why can't we focus on the good things about our team or future prospects. Maybe that means a higher draft pick next year or a few well scouted free...
          -12-05-2006, 10:53 PM
        • VegasRam
          It took 40 years...
          by VegasRam
          but I'm finally at peace. I seem to have experienced a catharsis of sorts yesterday, when either Wilkins missed his first field goal, or Bulger threw the pick in the end zone.

It essentially became the culmination of every muff we've had this season.

I shook my head slightly, and with a sad little smile, recalled one of my favorite jokes:

"Lord, Ive done everything you've asked of me and never complained - I've even spent three days in the belly of a whale - and just want to understand one thing; 'Why me?'"

To which the Lord repied, " I don't know Job, there' somethin' 'bout you just pisses me off"

Anyway, I'm still gonna' love 'em, and watch 'em and root for 'em, and whatever happens, happens.

It's just not going to be quite so painful anymore.

And oh by the way, if Bulger EVER (consistently) had three or four seconds to throw, instead of two, he'd be being mentioned in the same breath as , (dare I say it?), Brady and Manning, (or at least Palmer and McNabb and Brees).

It's just too simple, which is why everyone's looking everywhere else.

It's the O-line, stupid.
          -09-24-2007, 09:40 AM
        • Varg6
          We're trying to make excuses....
          by Varg6
          I'm sick of everyone trying to point fingers at certain people for the losses we've been having. There's no real good reason or explanation as to why we're doing so badly defensively.

This game at least...It's plain and simple. If you have 3 turnovers on offense, you rarely win football games. When you have a less-than mediocre defense with the turnovers added on, you get a loss, its as simple as that.

The one thing (for me) that kills me the most about our team, is that we proved to a lot of people the first game that our defense can really play well. But ever since that loss, we haven't played anywhere near as well as we did that one game. Imagine what record we'd have if we performed every week the way they did the first game. I honestly think we'd be undefeated, but, thats whats I guess ironic about our team. We aren't playing like that.

But anyways, let's stop saying it's all Fisher's fault. Or OJ's fault now. Do I think they're good? No. Do I think they're bad? Well...yeah. But that isn't THE reason why we're allowing points, it's our defense as a whole just playing like poo.
          -11-05-2006, 02:53 PM
        • Tampa_Ram
          What changed?????
          by Tampa_Ram
          In 2006 we had an 8-8 record, Bulger was at the top of his game, Jackson had a career year as well with a top 5 all time total yards from scrimmage year. Our offense clicked.

So what happened?

Linehan was in his first year of HC.

How did we go from a year like that to what we are now? 8-8 in your first year as HC is not bad at all. But your supposed to get better, not the opposite.

Did the play calling change?

Was it the injuries?

Was it that the team that played well was still Martz's team, left over with his ideals of how to play???
          And Linehan had not yet takin over the players and lost them?

Was it the play calling? How did the play calling change so much in 1 year? injuries? lack of confidence in the players? the coach?

Was it the free agents we picked up? players we let go(Hedgecock, Bruce, etc.)?

Was this a fault of the FO? Is management the main culprit in this?

What to you is the reason we have spiraled so far down? Because we have i believe, and if you disagree id love to know why?

Coming off a 3-13 season, we are 0-2, have the worst defense and offense. Players dont seem to care anymore if they win or lose just as long as there getting paid. Not all of course, as we've all recently read Holt's challenge for the O-line to step up, and im sure there are still many players with a desire to win, my favorite beside Holt is the young, great Chris Long.

But of course the main point of this thread-

What are the pieces of the puzzle that have lead to us being one of the worst teams in the NFl, if not the worst.

I believe we arnt a bad team, we have talent and skill and at least one coach(Saunders)that i still believe in at the moment. We can win, our pieces just arnt coming together, on any front at the moment.

So what happened? Well, i think its a combination of all of what i just wrote. Transition, FA, draft, pLay calling, injuries, coaching, conditioning, FO, carelessness, lack of desire, FO, etc...yes i know i put FO in there twice....

What are your thoughts?

p.s. when will the first win of the season come? today!!!! The seahags are going down!!!!!!!

GO RAMS!!!!!
          -09-21-2008, 02:24 AM
        • LaRamsFanLongTime
          What have we done?
          by LaRamsFanLongTime
          With so many things to be dissapointed with I find myself at a weird place in my life. The Rams suck and I dont know if I care. It seems upper management has let the team slip away and we are quickly returning to wearing brown bags and praying the 90's is not relived. Not that I would mind winning another superbowl after a long stay at the bottom.Dont get me wrong I still proudly wear my horns every Sunday and do not deny that I am a faithful fan.

The reason my heart though does not allow me to care is the loss of Bruce. When he was released I said to myself any hope of climbing out the gutter has just diminished. Holt is a great receiver but even he could not consitantly break apart a secondary that is keying on his every move. I could see it now in the opposing teams game planning. "See that guy right there cover him! See all these other receivers pretend you are covering them. They will get scared at your presence and forget what route they are running."

I know I will get over the loss of Bruuce but it's hard to see him get 4 receptions for 150 while wearing gold and red. This is a guy that defenses will have to account for as long as he can breathe. The man gets open that simple. Holt and bruce together would still be a top 10 receiving pair capable of taking over a game. When a man restructures his contract after being released you do not just let him go the next year. What more could they have asked for.

Holt seriously seems like he wants nothing to do with this orginization and I cannot say I blame him. It has been a long time since I have seen the Rams so complacent. Seeing an empty dome during the season opener breaks my heart. We need a fire and we need it now. I say Linehan packs it in for the season. Maybe it will be like the Mets a new fire will be born. I said let linehan have an injury free 3rd year and go from there, well the starters are in Scott no excuses you suck.

A head coach that has made our offense go through his play calling, then anothers now anothers?????Consistancy while operating an offense is key. While I called for his head I wonder where we might be had Martz still been our coach at least the system did not change season to season.

I hate to say but if this year finishes how it has begun with the number one pick of the draft we Go Tim Tebow. He can at least improvise and does not have feet made of lead. This line cannot support a pocket passer they need a little mobility. Avenger help us out start whispering to him how great he would be in a Rams uniform.

Defense what is going on? Those guys that are 6ft 3 and weigh 180 run 4.4 40's, you know wideouts??? Dont let them get behind you on every other play. At least pretend you can cover those guys.

Alright we are playing a team this week that we can beat we all know that. So for the love of God Rams show some sort of passion. Please, us diehards deserve...
          -09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
        Working...
        X