klopfenstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klopfenstein

for the millionth time, klop couldnt block a pregnant woman in a phone booth. What kind of IDIOT has klop man blocking on demetrius ware? Is he trying to get bulger killed? Is it play calling or scheme, i dont care anymore, but i will tell you that at this point, i am dramatically underwhelmed with klop as a 2nd round pick.

Its a joke that bulger is in this game at this point. Bring in gus and pray he survives.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: klopfenstein

Yes, Klop can NOT block.

We don't need players that can't block. The faster we rid of this guy, the better off we'll be.

I think we whiffed in that Draft with Tight Ends (he and Byrd).

Comment

Re: klopfenstein

That is what I was saying the whole game. Klop was not only horrible in pass blocking, but whiffed a few times as well on his run blocking.
      We have so many TEs, and only one has been effective so far (McMichael has had some good blocks). That is a waste of space, and a poor judgement of talent on our coaches/scouting guys part.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

Dominique Byrd?
        by Guest
        I want him to start over klopfenstein, He looked great his entire career at USC, but got over looked by guys because of leinart, bush, white, and the rest of that O. I really liked what I saw during his career. When He gets his shot I am most sure that he will take full adnatage of it.

- God Bless:ramlogo:
        -07-14-2006, 11:37 PM
      • general counsel
        we really miss mcmichael
        by general counsel
        One topic that hasnt been discussed much on the board recently is how much we miss mcmichael, who was showing excellent signs of life early in the season as a target for bulger. Mcmichael was both a solid blocker and a key that could make the tough catch, in addition to getting down the field. We need all the safety valve options we can get given the constant pressure on bulger and without mcmichael, it doesnt appear that we have a functional tight end, one of the great ironies of the Loserhan era since he had five of them on the roster at any given time, most of whom were high picks. There is no evidence to suggest that Fells can catch a cold, let alone an actual pass.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
        -11-03-2008, 09:59 AM
      • RamWraith
        Which tight-end(s) will go
        by RamWraith
        We are really stacked at this postion. Not all are staying, who are the ones leaving the team this year?
        Byrd
        54.55%
        McMichael
        0.00%
        Klopfenstein
        2.27%
        Walker
        43.18%
        -05-30-2007, 05:41 AM
      • RamWraith
        New tight end waiting for first catch with Rams
        by RamWraith
        By R.B. FALLSTROM

ST. LOUIS - Throughout his NFL career, Randy McMichael has been a prolific pass-catching tight end.

Now, he's a patient one. After two preseason games with his new team, the St. Louis Rams, he's waiting for his first reception.

"Everybody who knows me knows I'm always open and I always want the ball, but the one thing about it is you've got to wait your turn," McMichael said. "If you get consumed by it, you're not doing your job."

That's the kind of thing the coaching staff likes to hear from a player they consider an every-down tight end.

"Randy's going to be a big part of the offense," offensive coordinator Greg Olson said. "I think he's going to be very valuable.

"I can't put a number on the amount of catches, but I know he'll be involved."

The 6-3, 255-pound McMichael averaged 65 receptions the last three seasons with the Miami Dolphins and is that franchise's career leader in catches by a tight end with 283. He's expected to provide yet another weapon for an offense with high-scoring potential, although St. Louis has struggled thus far in the preseason.

One of McMichael's big years came in 2005 when Rams coach Scott Linehan was the offensive coordinator at Miami and the former fourth-round pick totaled 62 catches for 582 yards and five touchdowns.

That chemistry with Linehan was a deciding factor in McMichael signing a three-year free-agent deal with the Rams.

"That season wasn't fun, but it was fun in that offense," McMichael said. "He did a good job of getting the playmakers the ball."

Given the circumstances, a two-game drought isn't a big deal. The first-team offense has totaled five series, not a ton of opportunities, although Rams quarterbacks totaled 26 completions to 11 different receivers in Saturday's 30-13 loss to the Chargers.

The Rams have called plays when McMichael was the primary target, and as the Sept. 9 opener against the Panthers nears he and Marc Bulger are working to get on the same page.

"Me and Marc, I think we have a great relationship and we're starting to get a feel for each other," McMichael said. "It'll be full go by Carolina."

McMichael represents a significant upgrade for the Rams, who went with a pair of rookies, second-round pick Joe Klopfenstein and third-rounder Dominique Byrd, last year. Klopfenstein had 20 catches and Byrd, troubled off the field by a charge of assault and armed criminal action and an arrest on suspicion of DUI in a separate case, totaled two receptions in five games.

The tight end has not been a big part of the Rams' offense for years.

Brandon Manumaleuna caught 13 passes in 2005 and was traded on the second day of the '06 draft after skipping the team's...
        -08-21-2007, 05:28 AM
      • RamWraith
        Rams: Tight ends should see a lot of action with Linehan in charge
        by RamWraith
        By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        08/25/2006

In four seasons as an NFL offensive coordinator, Scott Linehan's passing attack has always been tight-end friendly.`

Two years ago in Minnesota, Jermaine Wiggins caught 71 balls. Last season in Miami, Randy McMichael had 60 receptions. Over the four seasons, the tight end spot in Linehan's offenses has averaged 71 catches a year.

"It's something he loves to do, and they didn't really use the tight end that much last year (in St. Louis)," rookie Joe Klopfenstein said.

Not in the passing game. In fact, in Mike Martz's six seasons as Rams head coach, the tight end position averaged 33 catches a year. And no individual tight end caught more than 38 passes in any one season.

Given Linehan's track record, that's about to change. So two of the happiest guys on draft day had to be Klopfenstein, a second-round pick from Colorado, and Dominique Byrd, a third-rounder from Southern California. Particularly since Brandon Manumaleuna, the primary starter the past three seasons, was traded to San Diego on the second day of the draft.

Visions of passes -- and more passes -- may have danced in their heads. But almost from the moment Klopfenstein and Byrd reported to minicamps in the spring, Linehan and his staff have stressed blocking and more blocking.

"They're really drilling that into us," Klopfenstein said.

At the request of the coaching staff, the Klopfenstein added 15 pounds to his still lean 6-foot-5 frame, bulking up to 265. The better to take on 290-pound defensive ends when Steven Jackson is running off-tackle.

"Blocking is something I didn't mind doing in college, and I took pride in it," Klopfenstein said. "But it's definitely a different kind of game at the professional level, with the size and athleticism of the guys you're blocking."

Klopfenstein has been a more consistent blocker than Byrd (6-2, 254), which is one reason he has held down the No. 1 job throughout camp and the preseason. Meanwhile, Byrd has dropped to the No. 3 spot, with the surprising Aaron Walker moving into the No. 2 role.
        "I can't say I'm disappointed, because I had the opportunity," Byrd said. "I'm just trying to keep going, keep pushing for that spot. I don't think anything's definitely final. Things happen during the season. I just want to be able to step up when I'm called on."

Byrd's biggest asset is catching passes. In college, he says he wasn't asked to block as much as some tight ends. With the Rams, his job description has changed.

"He's got great ball skills," Linehan said. "He's got good enough size to play on the line as a tight end. He knows that it's an absolute must that he improves his blocking ability. That's why we spend more...
        -08-25-2006, 04:32 AM
      Working...
      X