Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyewitness report from Rams Scrimmage vs Bears

Post subject: Extra Extra...Eyewitness report from Rams Scrimmage vs Bears

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are out of order and just the eyewitness stuff. Doss will try to answer all the questions at his next time allowed on the net. AOL's circuits for dial up from his room are understandably busy......

From DOSSNIKKI
    on Saturday August 07, 2004 at 01:54 AM:

Morning practice Grossman/quinn vs Rams defense.(run and pass) play#1 Grossman-slant to the te caught-short gain Play#2 Grossman-incomplete pass Play#3 Grossman -pass completed but dropped by Booker. Play #4 Grossman- handoff to #20 Thomas jones stopped at line by rams defense. Play#5 Grossman- handoff to #44 Brock fordyce 5yards. Play#6 Quinn- LB's of rams(polley,faulk and newsom) stuff run by#37 Jason Mckie in the backfield.Kollar"nic e job guys thats the way" PLay#7 Quinn- handoff blowed up by dt brian howard in the backfield.Kollar is smileing Play#8 Quinn-Trap play big gain for #37 Mckie up the middle. Play#9 Grossman-Polley lowd pop on #20THomas JONES,polley leaves jones lying on the ground. Play#10 Grossman attemps a pass to Booker safety Justin lucas#41 steps in front and deflects the pass and almost intercepts. Play#11 Grossman- handoff to#44 Brock forsey. rams player#70 Kevin aldridge in backfield but lets tackle slipp through his hands. Play#12 Quinn- Rams Kevin Garrett Makes agreat play stepping infront of a Bears WR and trys to drop with the ball.Polley yells get up and he goes for a td with the ball and rams caravan of players. Final play of Scrimmage Fb#47 Bryan Johnson of the bears catches a td pass and slams the ball.Polley takes exception to his action and a scuffle starts between them too.Other Rams run to that field but Lovie and Kollar end it quickly.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From DOSSNIKKI
    on Saturday August 07, 2004 at 01:24 AM:

Morning practice 11on 11 Bulger/chandler vs bears defense(passing attack) Bulger- Play#1-Mcdonald streaks through middle pass goes threw hishand(should have had it looking up field) Bulger- Play #2 Mcdonald catches pass in the flat streaks past bearsdb but gets the ball slapped out from behind recovered by the bears. Bulger-Play#3- Deep pass(50yards) behind the bears d-backs caught by furrey for td. Bulger-play#4-slant pass in the middle to Brian sump. Sump turns on the speed and eludes everyone on defense for a long td. Bulger play#6 INcomplete overthrown out of bounds. Bulger-Play#7- Looker clearly held by BearsDB#33 Tillman. Ball falls just infront of him incomplete. Bulger play#8-Looker catches pass in the middle gone for a td. Chandler-play#9- CHandler goes deep to curtis for a td.Curtis smokes the db opposite Tillman and safety. Chandler Play #10-NIce catch in the middle For MIke BRake TE. Brake comes out in the second practice not in pads. Chandler-Play#11- Furrey nice catch in the flat 15yards.

From DOSSNIKKI
    on Saturday August 07, 2004 at 12:58 AM:

Players i spoke with: Hargrove: "hey,how is the ankle and Knee,tony?" Hargrove "its fine,not really that bad i'm okay".I replied, "You had us worried,it sounded bad" Hargrove"i had myself worried on that one". Isaid "you know I've been Hyping you up to my buddies as the "new" man at DE the next comming great one" Hargrove,"Don't worry i won't let you down".I said"They say but you missed a year of school and maybe got drafted alittle high" hargrove "The Rams were lucky to stay with me and they and everyone will see it was worth it". Hargrove was working by himself in the afternoon running backwards on that ankle,cutting and shifting around on it.He was doing this alone off to the side with no coach.He won't be out long. Larry Turner "Thanks for the autograph,hope you get some playing time". Turner- "i'm getting over half the Reps at center now" i replied "Thats sounds good". Turner wasthe mainstay at center most of the afternoon Practice. Ryan pickett - " tell your buddy Kennedy were all thinking about him" Pickett, "I will,that was a tough break for him he wasn't hit just planted his foot wrong"."He broke the 5th metatorsal in his foot .Thats 6-8 weeks,and then he is not no little guy either".

From DOSSNIKKI
    on Saturday August 07, 2004 at 12:41 AM:

Aug 6th Friday "There are full grown bears in the Macomb woods" Players not in camp: Turley,Wohalabaugh(i didn't see him) and Kennedy. Players not in full pads1)Holt,bruce,Fis her,butler,Faulk(til l the afternoon) and Little.Martz's hold-outs 1) injured: Hargrove,Moran,Brake ,and cromartie. New players in camp G Chris Dishman #66.350+lbs but he can move his feet.

Re: Eyewitness report from Rams Scrimmage vs Bears

Wow, great report guys. Thank you.
    It was good to read that Bulgar was doin great! Let's hope that it continues. Also, the DL sounds like it stood up nicely.

Comment

Nice report. Things sound very up beat, aside from the injuries. I'm getting good vibes from this team. Lot's of quality depth.
      JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
      :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
      Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

Morning practice 11on 11 Bulger/chandler vs bears defense(passing attack) Bulger- Play#1-Mcdonald streaks through middle pass goes threw hishand(should have had it looking up field) Bulger- Play #2 Mcdonald catches pass in the flat streaks past bearsdb but gets the ball slapped out from behind recovered by the bears. Bulger-Play#3- Deep pass(50yards) behind the bears d-backs caught by furrey for td. Bulger-play#4-slant pass in the middle to Brian sump. Sump turns on the speed and eludes everyone on defense for a long td. Bulger play#6 INcomplete overthrown out of bounds. Bulger-Play#7- Looker clearly held by BearsDB#33 Tillman. Ball falls just infront of him incomplete. Bulger play#8-Looker catches pass in the middle gone for a td. Chandler-play#9- CHandler goes deep to curtis for a td.Curtis smokes the db opposite Tillman and safety. Chandler Play #10-NIce catch in the middle For MIke BRake TE. Brake comes out in the second practice not in pads. Chandler-Play#11- Furrey nice catch in the flat 15yards.
        Wow! This gets me excited. I know you can't tell much from a few written lines, but this makes it sound like Bulger's been working on his long ball and there has been some improvement. It sounds like our receivers are really flying. Damn, I can't wait to see them in action in their first televised pre-season game. Bring on the season already!
        Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Thanks for the great report, ramavenger. The D was stuffing the run, the offense was ticking, and Hargrove sounds excited to prove the naysayers wrong. Preseason will be fun to watch.

Comment

I was there, where were you? LOL just kidding. It was so crowded, it was half over before I could even find my own sister. Thanks for the play-by-play, I won't have to give my 2-cents worth.

I will note that I was disappointed in Michna, especially since he was playing in a stadium where he played in college. But now I see they've already signed Smoker so he never really had a shot. I hope Russ takes a page from Warner's notes and plays for Europe or Arena to keep up what skills he has and improve on the ones he doesn't so he can have another shot next year. I wasn't surprised by the lack of participation by key players. This is where we find out what the rookies and new recruits can do.

Ok, I'm a woman, I couldn't resist putting in my 2-cents worth after all.

P.S. I can vouch for the improvement in Bulger's long game. Nice to see after the performance in the quarterback challenge.
            Last edited by JellyOpal; -08-07-2004, 07:03 PM. Reason: Wanted to make another comment

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ram3057
              RAMS vs Bears
              by ram3057
              Well,

The Bears pulled it off last night. I was actually surprised by the quarterback play. They took their chances on some long passes.

How will the RAMS secondary do Friday night? Can they slow down Muhammed?

My prediction - RAMS 30 - Cubs 24

:tongue:
              -08-09-2005, 10:11 AM
            • evil disco man
              Scrimmage Notes From A Bears Fan
              by evil disco man
              The following report was posted on the Herd board. I cut out the Bears part. Good read.

Posted by Isiah 58 on the RamBeat Mail List-

---------------
              Although this is from a Bears' fan's perspective, it
              is pretty interesting but long. The second half is
              Bears' stuff, but I didn't edit the post. Note his
              characterization of Stephen Jackson!
              Isiah 58

Made it to Macomb in time for the afternoon practice
              on Friday. Stayed overnight and attended the scrimmage
              with the Rams today. Here are my observations. They
              are uncluttered. I have not read the home page. I
              tuned in WSCR on the way out of Macomb, as it was the
              only AM station broadcasting something other than pork
              belly and grain futures. However, the contradictory,
              rambling, self-serving opinions quickly became
              background noise. I have no idea what the heck those
              guys were talking about.

Please remember that these are lay observations and
              they are from memory. I wish I had video-taped the
              scrimmage or had taken notes. There was an
              extraordinary number of substitutions, with varying
              combinations of personnel. It was really tough to keep
              track of everyone. The plays were run very quickly.
              Additionally, it was a beautiful day and there were a
              lot of beautiful, comfortably dressed females in
              attendance. I would like to take this opportunity to
              say a special 'Hello' to the bleach blond in the
              pink top and white SHORTs sitting with the skanky
              looking dude by the south end zone and the 'Mom'
              from the Quad Cities (with her 'father-in-law' over in
              Section N ).

With that disclaimer, I begin this somewhat unedited
              post (note re: Friday's practice - We watched the
              Bears Offense play the Rams Defense. However, we sat
              high enough in the stands that we could see the
              adjacent field where the Rams O played the Bears D.):

WIU

-- The staff was extremely cordial and helpful. They
              seemed delighted to be hosting this weekend. The
              stadium was immaculate, the practice facilities
              excellent, and everything seemed to go smoothly,
              including Will-Calls and last minute general admission
              sales. Traffic flow, 'signage', and police protection
              was first class. They even had rent-a-cops standing
              guard on the hilltops in case al-Qaida decided to
              attack Hanson Field.

The place was completely packed. My son just came down
              to tell me that ESPN reported 14,000 fans. I dunno
              about that, but I am sure there wer ove 10,000. There
              seemed to be an equal number of Rams and Bears fans.
              Everyone seemed to get along quite well, even though
              we were completely intermingled. Rams fans are
              actually...
              -08-09-2004, 10:12 PM
            • RamDez
              Rams, Bears scrimmage before preseason opener
              by RamDez
              Rams, Bears scrimmage before preseason opener

Associated Press

MACOMB, Ill. - After three days of joint practices, the St. Louis Rams outplayed the Chicago Bears during a scrimmage at Western Illinois University's Hanson Field Saturday.

The Rams unofficially won the scrimmage 12-6, though no score was actually kept during the 90-minute workout.

Both teams held out several starters. Quarterback Marc Bulger and running back Marshall Faulk did not see action for the Rams while linebacker Brian Urlacher, who is nursing a hamstring injury, and wide receiver Marty Booker and others sat out for the Bears.

The scrimmage also provided a chance for new Chicago coach Lovie Smith to put his team up against the Rams, where he worked as defensive coordinator before taking the job with the Bears.

Smith said after the scrimmage, "We know we have a long ways to go. We get a chance to play them again next week with hopes that we'll have a better team on the field playing against them."

The Bears will visit the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis Thursday to take on the Rams in the preseason opener.

The Rams went on offense first in the controlled scrimmage as former Bears quarterback Chris Chandler marched the Rams 70 yards in a drive that ended with a one-yard touchdown run by running back Arlen Harris.

Bears starting quarterback Rex Grossman directed the first three series before backup Jonathan Quinn engineered the last two drives.

Rams rookie quarterback Jeff Smoker hit Kevin Curtis for a 35-yard touchdown later in the scrimmage.

Then Quinn guided the Bears to their only score when he connected with Gabe Reid on a 5-yard scoring toss.

One of the biggest ovations of the morning came when former Western Illinois star Russ Michna took the field for a few plays with the Rams offense.

Rams coach Mike Martz said Michna had two good passes. "Unfortunately, one of them was dropped. He's a good little player. He's not a camp arm. I'm excited that we have him."

Michna is in the Rams camp as the fourth quarterback after signing with St. Louis as an undrafted free agent in June. Michna said after playing that he appreciated the crowd's response. "It's great to know that they still appreciate what you did for them."

Martz said a scrimmage like the one against the Bears can provide a player an opportunity to show he deserves a spot on the roster. "We're not going to eliminate somebody because of what they've done in this scrimmage. What we can do is look a little harder at a guy," he said.

Notes: Martz said the Rams will not practice Sunday to give his players a break. They will hold a workout Monday afternoon and a meeting Monday night in Macomb. Martz said, "We've had a terrific camp up here and they've worked...
              -08-08-2004, 12:55 AM
            • Nick
              Jeff Gordon's Rams Recap
              by Nick
              Rams Recap: Makeshift line and Chandler hold up well
              BY JEFF GORDON
              Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
              08/11/2004

As dress rehearsals go, Thursday night's exhibition with the Chicago Bears was fairly productive.

The Rams got plenty done during their 13-10 preseason overtime loss to the penalty-prone Bears at the Edward Jones Dome.

Youngsters Andy King and Scott Tercero got to take their bows with the first-team offense during the pre-game introductions. Then they held up admirably at left guard and right tackle, respectively, despite their inexperience.

The makeshift offensive line allowed only one sack, on a linebacker blitz, until well into the third quarter. Under the circumstances, that is not bad.

The front defensive seven had an excellent surge for most of the game, despite the constant rotation of personnel. Captain Tyoka Jackson spent a great deal of time in the Bears backfield.

Back-up quarterback Chris Chandler didn't always look sharp up at Macomb, Ill. -- but he was most impressive during his first Rams game in a long, long time. He looked surprisingly nimble in the pocket during his first-half appearance and made accurate throws all over the field.

Here is what else caught our eyes:

THE GOOD

* With the Bears in scoring position, we loved the way cornerback Kevin Garrett smothered receiver Marty Booker on a corner route into the end zone. That Rex Grossman pass landed harmlessly out of bounds.

* Rams quarterback Marc Bulger appeared to be in midseason form when he found receiver Isaac Bruce for 19- and 24-yard passes on back-to-back plays. He also threw a nice third-down strike to receiver Dane Looker, good for 13 yards along the right sideline and a first down.

* On their first defensive sequence, the Rams applied decent pass pressure but didn't get results. But on the first play on of the second sequence, veteran Jackson burst in and dumped Jonathan Quinn.

* The assault continued with defensive ends Leonard Little and Bryce Fisher arriving simultaneously to sack Quinn.

* Receiver Shaun McDonald reminded us why the Rams liked him so much last summer; he snagged a Chandler pass while slicing right to left through the Bears secondary. He turned on his jets and turned that into a 40-yard gain.

* Chandler showed his veteran poise to throw his first Rams touchdown pass in some time. He looked left and found nothing, then rolled back right and flipped a pass to fullback Joey Goodspeed -- who released into the right flat for a 13-yard TD reception.

That capped an impressive 86-yard scoring drive engineered by Chandler. Maybe he does have a little bit left in that 900-year-old body.

* Nice pass, nice catch -- rookie quarterback Jeff Smoker gunned a nice throw down the middle...
              -08-13-2004, 01:19 AM
            • Nick
              Bears finish with flurry
              by Nick
              Bears finish with flurry
              By Jim Thomas
              Of the Post-Dispatch
              08/12/2004

Mike Martz isn't one of these coaches who thinks NFL exhibition games are meaningless, or that the final score doesn't matter.

"I'd like to win every one of them, guys," Martz told reporters earlier in the week in Macomb, Ill. "I think every coach does, but with the guys that you're playing ... we still need to look at some players. But it's still very competitive. In the middle of the game, I'm not thinking about this being a preseason game. Trust me."

What Martz got instead, was a head coach's nightmare - exhibition overtime. And a preseason loss. Despite outplaying Chicago for most of the first three quarters Thursday night, the Bears scored a fourth-quarter touchdown to send the game into overtime tied 10-10.

At least it was a short overtime. Ahmad Merritt returned the overtime kickoff 87 yards to the Rams' 7. New Bears coach Lovie Smith immediately sent out Paul Edinger to kick a 25-yard field goal, giving Chicago a 13-10 victory at the Edward Jones Dome.

The offensive highlights for St. Louis included an eight-for-nine passing performance by No. 2 quarterback Chris Chandler, four catches for 73 yards by wide receiver Shaun McDonald, and 15 carries for 73 yards by Steven Jackson through three quarters.

Defensively, the Rams got two sacks from Erik Flowers in the second half. Flowers got the second sack after temporarily leaving the game when he was literally squashed on a pass rush by Bears 370-pound offensive tackle Aaron Gibson. The Rams generally got a good pass rush. In the secondary, second-year man Kevin Garrett played tight coverage.

Marc Bulger played one series, completing three of six passes for 57 yards on a 64-yard field-goal drive. Chandler took over and led the Rams on a four-play, 86-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter. McDonald caught a 40-yard pass on the drive - the night's longest gain.

Chandler and the Rams were moving into field-goal range in the final minute of the first half. But Bears cornerback Eric Kelly wrestled the ball away from Rams wide receiver Kevin Curtis for an interception with 25 seconds to play, ending the drive at the St. Louis 35.

For more than three quarters, the highlight for the Bears was their opening drive, which featured some impressive running by offseason acquisition Thomas Jones. Jones had carries of 17 and 26 yards on the drive. The 26-yarder came on a third-and-one play to the right. The Rams appeared to have the play stuffed, but Jones cut back to his left where there was no backside help by the over-pursuing defense.

That play carried to the St. Louis 25. Four plays later, the Bears were in the end zone on a 10-yard pass from Rex Grossman to fullback Bryan Johnson. But the play was nullified by a holding penalty against...
              -08-13-2004, 01:15 AM
            Working...
            X