Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

    As the season approaches, I find myself repeatedly experiencing the same thought: the Rams Front Office has done a great job.

    Look at some of the current problems and the possible solutions that the FO has come up with.

    For example, the O line is a concern given Pace's annual holdout and Turley and Wohlabaugh's injury. But the FO clearly has a contingency plan. They have maintained veterans Timmerman and G.Williams, developed young players in King and Tercero, and signed two veterans in Dishman and Randall. As a result, the Rams are in a position to (other than with Pace, who will eventually sign) plug in the holes even if not at 100%.

    The same is true with the D line. One might expect that disaster would be around the corner given the loss of Wistrom, B.Young and now Kennedy. But the FO retained B.Fisher, drafted the promising Hargrove, and made what could be a vital pick-up in obtaining Holsey. As a result, the Rams should be okay on the D line as well.

    Other acquisitions bode well for the future. Signing J.Butler fills a key spot. Drafting players like S.Jackson and J.Shivers provide potential replacements for elder statesmen Faulk and A.Williams. And, thought they did not have great first years, draftees Curtis and, possibly, McDonald could pay dividends this year.

    As the Rams go for a fifth playoff birth in six seasons, the FO deserves a great deal of credit for not just building a contender, but sustaining it as well.

  • #2
    Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

    Originally posted by AvengerRam
    For example, the O line is a concern given Pace's annual holdout and Turley and Wohlabaugh's injury. But the FO clearly has a contingency plan. They have maintained veterans Timmerman and G.Williams, developed young players in King and Tercero, and signed two veterans in Dishman and Randall. As a result, the Rams are in a position to (other than with Pace, who will eventually sign) plug in the holes even if not at 100%.
    Eh, I'm not sure I'm ready to give them a pat on the back yet for the offensive line. Yes, they retained Timmerman which was a good move in hindsight, but what I've read from camp seems to be that Dishman is very much out of shape and Randall is having some difficulty with our offense. I'm hoping that either King or Tercero (or both) develop into quality starters, but we can't be sure about that until we see them play.


    Originally posted by AvengerRam
    The same is true with the D line. One might expect that disaster would be around the corner given the loss of Wistrom, B.Young and now Kennedy. But the FO retained B.Fisher, drafted the promising Hargrove, and made what could be a vital pick-up in obtaining Holsey. As a result, the Rams should be okay on the D line as well.
    This I definitely agree with. While I'm not sure how much credit should go to the FO for retaining Bryce Fisher, who merely did not get another offer sheet, it sounds as if drafting Hargrove was a great move based on what he's shown thus far, and it sounds as if Holsey is going to provide some very good depth.



    Originally posted by AvengerRam
    Other acquisitions bode well for the future. Signing J.Butler fills a key spot. Drafting players like S.Jackson and J.Shivers provide potential replacements for elder statesmen Faulk and A.Williams. And, thought they did not have great first years, draftees Curtis and, possibly, McDonald could pay dividends this year.
    Agreed again. The Rams were able to make a move to get their (possible) 'back of the future and found great value on the second day by nabbing Shivers, who could replace Aeneas at free safety in the next few seasons if he develops well. And yes, Curtis and McDonald being healthy makes our group of receivers one of the deepest in the league, I believe.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

      The Timmerman, Butler & Bulger signings were all good. They had a good draft this year. But that's about it really.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

        The bulger signing is yet to be determined as a good thing. I'm curious to see how old boy does without the safety net that was Kurt Warner standing on the sideline.

        It can be a good thing that KW is gone or it can be a bad thing. It's much easier to perform a task when you know that if you fall on your face somebody is there to pick you up.

        There is a lot to factor in with Bulger this year. With big bucks comes great responsibility. Bulger is under the microscope more then he has ever been. How will he cope?

        All of those interceptions last year can be accepted considering he was a back up turned starter not making much cash at all. But I promise you the Rams are hoping to God that they did not just spend millions on that many interceptions.

        It's going to play out like a rough edit of a movie if you ask me. It shall be interesting.

        Reborn

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

          Not sure why this thread is swimming into the black depths of the Bulger/Warner debate.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

            The Timmerman, Bulger signing was good, don't know about matching the deal for TE Manulaaaaaaa, should of let him walk ... Good draft S. Jackson, and Hargroves, man I'm looking forward to seeing what this boy can do....

            steve :ramlogo:
            "The breakfast Club":helmet:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

              So I guess my question is this. Are we not supposed to discuss the quarterback at all because...

              A) There is a history there... or is it

              B) Because you wish not accept the fact that your glory boy could fall flat on his face?

              If you read between the lines you will see there was no Bulger/Warner debate. Not once did I chime in with who is better or what should have transpired. I simply pointed out the fact that Now with KW (which could be the best thing for this team) gone Bulger has the limelight. I just hope the big bucks and responsibility are not to much for him to handle.

              Touchy are we?

              Reborn

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

                Well, although some are hooked to that topic, my point was simply that we can scale that dark cliff in another thread. If I wished to fish for responses about that subject, thereby bringing back the blackest days of this board, I could have. Instead, I chose not to swim in those waters.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

                  I love it.

                  Reborn

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

                    Originally posted by NickSeiler
                    Eh, I'm not sure I'm ready to give them a pat on the back yet for the offensive line. Yes, they retained Timmerman which was a good move in hindsight, but what I've read from camp seems to be that Dishman is very much out of shape and Randall is having some difficulty with our offense. I'm hoping that either King or Tercero (or both) develop into quality starters, but we can't be sure about that until we see them play.

                    Exactly.

                    Also, the only thing that makes the timmerman re-signing good (at this point) is the alternative (unless they signed Bobbie Williams) is pretty ugly (right now). That ain't exactly the criteria that I like to use when evaluating an o-line either. Of course, this could have all been avoided if they had drafted steinbach instead of Kennedy. If the FO had drafted o-line early during the last few years (rather than D-Lew and/or Kennedy), then I might be willing to give them a pat on the back.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

                      "A lot of credit" ... Nah. No way. They've made what appears to be good moves, and left some areas deficient (DL). Time will tell for sure. Just as we've seen the fruit of eariler years: we've harvested a nice crop in Arch, Polley, but only found barren trees from Lewis and Kennedy, (Kennedy was a horrible pick). You guys are all capable of adding more details.

                      But my evaluation is that I'd give them a 7 or 8 out of 10 for the efforts this year. Compared to times past that is pretty good.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

                        Originally posted by AvengerRam
                        Well, although some are hooked to that topic, my point was simply that we can scale that dark cliff in another thread. If I wished to fish for responses about that subject, thereby bringing back the blackest days of this board, I could have. Instead, I chose not to swim in those waters.

                        With all these metaphors alluding to fishing are you seeing a Black Trout in your visions that escaped a hook, line, and sinker once upon a time??

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

                          I have no idea what you are talking about. :redface:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

                            Who or what is a Blacktrout?

                            Reborn

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Front Office Deserves A Lot Of Credit

                              Webster's definition;

                              one who is witty, knowledgeable and likable, but tends to shoot from the hip with little regard for others personal feelings.


                              Originally posted by Reborn
                              Who or what is a Blacktrout?

                              Reborn

                              Comment

                              Loading...
                              Working...
                              X