• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two St. Louis Rams guarantee victory over Cleveland Browns

Thursday, October 25, 2007
    Mary Kay Cabot
    Plain Dealer Reporter

Rams tight end Randy McMichael guaranteed a victory over the Browns on Tuesday, and running back Steven Jackson backed it up on Wednesday.

"Randy McMichael guaranteed a win?" Jackson asked on a conference call with Cleveland media on Wednesday. "I didn't know. Well, then I back it. I guarantee it with him."

Jackson said he did so because of solidarity on the 0-7 Rams.

"We don't divide," said Jackson. "We don't shy away from one another. If a guy goes out and puts it on the line, then we've got to go out and do it."

McMichael told the Sports Ticker in St. Louis on Tuesday: "We have nothing else to say - we are going to win the football game."

The Browns seemed unfazed - although it undoubtedly will become bulletin board material.

"It's his way of psyching up his team," Browns center Hank Fraley said. "Everybody feels they're gonna win every week. It doesn't make me want to play any harder."

Kellen Winslow found nothing wrong with it.

"It's just confidence," he said. "That's the way it should be. But I've seen a lot of them backfire."

Rams coach Scott Linehan supported his troops during his conference call Wednesday

think people do that to try to motivate," he said. "I'd say there's no guarantee in life - I know that. Regardless of how it's perceived, we've got to do something to get a win, and a little psychology for us wouldn't hurt."

College memories:

Browns quarterback Derek Anderson and Jackson, the 24th overall pick by St. Louis in 2004, were roommates as freshmen at Oregon State and have remained good friends.

"Even as a freshman, he was a man against boys out there," said Anderson. "He was running guys over, and it was like, 'Wow! This kid's like 18 years old.' "

He remembered Jackson bowling over Oregon's secondary as a sophomore.

"He was like 235 and lean," said Anderson. "He doesn't quit either. You've got to tackle him the whole game."

They lived together in the international dorm and had to talk to each other "because only a few of us in there spoke English," said Anderson.

When Anderson got the Browns' starting job in Week 2, he received a text message from Jackson. It read, "Make it hell on them to make a decision once they bring the rookie in up there."

Anderson's performance is no surprise to Jackson, who chose Oregon State, in part, because Anderson was going.

"When the Browns picked him up, I knew the opportunity would come because there was no sure starter there," said Jackson. "He's stood the test of time. He's playing really well."

Quinn in new jersey:

Backup quarterback Brady Quinn wore a Trojans jersey in the Browns locker room Wednesday after losing a bet with friend and former Southern Cal quarterback Rodney Peete because of Notre Dame's 38-0 loss to USC.

"We didn't pull it out last Saturday, so I'm owning up to it," said Quinn, clad in the cardinal and gold. "I have a lot of layers on so it doesn't touch any part of my body. It's going right in the trash can."

And it did. Minutes later, linebacker Willie McGinest, a former Trojan, came over and asked where the jersey was. A sheepish Quinn had to fess up.

Safety signed:

The Browns signed safety Nick Sorensen to fill Gary Baxter's roster spot.

Sorensen, 6-3, 205, played for the Rams in 2001 and 2002 and the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2003 to 2006. Originally signed by the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent out of Virginia Tech, he's played in 75 games, mostly on special teams. He said he can play against his former team Sunday if called upon, but can't provide any good insight.

"It's been too long," he said.

Injury update:

Jamal Lewis (foot) and Darnell Dinkins (hand) were limited. Joe Jurevicius (knee) was full-go.

Re: Two St. Louis Rams guarantee victory over Cleveland Browns

Crap, I hope this doesn't provide bulletin-board material for the Browns. I want that first draft pick but I also want to win a game, ya know?

Comment

Ok, next week, let's have our guys all come out and guarantee that we are going to lose. Maybe that will cause the other team to lay down and we can sneak a victory ...

Comment

Originally posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
        Ok, next week, let's have our guys all come out and guarantee that we are going to lose. Maybe that will cause the other team to lay down and we can sneak a victory ...
        "Bye" seems unusually motivated this year, though.:x

Comment

If an NFL player needs BULLETIN BOARD material to get motivated, then he doesn't need to be in the league ...

Comment

I'll tell you how I feel about the guarantee Sunday evening, but I love that Jackson backed him.

You get the feeling that if they asked SJ to play O-line he would do it, and do a good job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
              If an NFL player needs BULLETIN BOARD material to get motivated, then he doesn't need to be in the league ...
              very true and I would just like to add that I wish these guys would start to back up there talking,how about they stop telling everyone they are going to win and really go out there and do it,the talk is getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by StLouisSam View Post
                Crap, I hope this doesn't provide bulletin-board material for the Browns. I want that first draft pick but I also want to win a game, ya know?
                Winning could actually do more for our possible draft position. Follow me here.....

1. An 0-16 Rams will most likely have the same draft spot as a 1-15 Rams or 2-14 Rams, maybe even 3-13 Rams. Of the other losers in the NFL, few would adjust our spot......the Falcons may go 2-14, but most likely will go QB; Jets could go 3-13 with a tougher schedule, Dolphins will win a couple in the weak NFC East. So a win over the Browns probably doesn't affect the draft too much.

2. The Browns, on the other hand, will find themselves around that .500 mark in which a single win or loss can move teams around 3, 4, or 5 spots. If they win too many games, our top pick will be too valuable to swap for the Dallas & Cleveland picks.

3. If the Rams want to make a serious and immediate move to get better they will look to trade out of that top spot for multiple first round picks. That means a transaction with Dallas.

4. Dallas has their pick and Cleveland's pick. Assuming the Cowboys keep playing at their level, the Browns could finish with as much as a 4, 5, or 6 pick and the Cowboys could find trade value in giving up their two picks for our 1st round pick.

Therefore, it could actually play to our advantage in the draft (as well as just life in general) to actually win this game.
                The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Well, what about the Dolphins? They're pretty miserable too.

Who would you take if we had the No. 1 pick? Seems up to Dorsey or Jake Long.

Comment

It's getting tiring listening to all these guarantees. I thought it was great when Bruce guaranteed the win since he never does that and since he's a proven veteran - so maybe then it would help fire us up. But now we've heard a couple of guarantees that were not met and we need to see it on the field. At some point guarantees get pretty pathetic unless you back it up.

Comment

Well, what about the Dolphins? They're pretty miserable too.

Who would you take if we had the No. 1 pick? Seems up to Dorsey or Jake Long.
                      Neither. I take Chris Long.
                      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Chris Long , Nuff Said.

Comment

Originally posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
                          It's getting tiring listening to all these guarantees. I thought it was great when Bruce guaranteed the win since he never does that and since he's a proven veteran - so maybe then it would help fire us up. But now we've heard a couple of guarantees that were not met and we need to see it on the field. At some point guarantees get pretty pathetic unless you back it up.

Totally agree ROD! "Guaranteeing" something like this, at this point of our 2007 season, after failing one already, makes subsequential assurances rather meaningless and like playing in High School.

Concentrate more on winning it rather than promising it. :bash:

Comment

I like Jake Long tho - our o-line sucks! And Pace is no guarantee to stay healthy.

Comment

This is just aploy to get the other teams to play even harder,Thus securing the #1 draft spot!!!!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                Rams' McMichael guarantees win over Browns
                                by RamWraith
                                From MSNBC:

'We have nothing else to say - we are going to win the football game'

SportsTicker
                                Updated: 5 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS - Tight end Randy McMichael is convinced the St. Louis Rams will get their first win of the season on Sunday, when they host the Cleveland Browns.

McMichael is so sure of it that he has guaranteed a victory for the Rams, who at 0-7 are to the worst start in franchise history.

“We have nothing else to say - we are going to win the football game,” he said.
                                Story continues below ↓advertisement

That might be bulletin board fodder for the Browns, who are well rested following their bye week.

The Rams are a team in turmoil and the emotions boiled over in last week’s 33-6 loss at Seattle. Quarterback Marc Bulger got into a heated exchange with coach Scott Linehan on the sidelines.

“I’m a little angry about things, embarrassed about things, frustrated about things,” Bulger said after the game.

The Rams have not scored a touchdown in eight quarters and lead the NFL in giveaways with 23, including 11 in the last two games. Bulger was responsible for all five turnovers against the Seahawks with three interceptions and two fumbles.

While the Rams are dealing with internal issues, the Browns are an improving team whose confidence is growing. Cleveland is only one game behind first-place Pittsburgh in the AFC North.

The Browns also are in the midst of a favorable schedule, playing back-to-back games against winless teams for the first time in franchise history.

On October 14, the Browns defeated the 0-5 Miami Dolphins, 41-31, as Derek Anderson tossed three touchdown passes - all to Braylon Edwards.

Anderson has led the Browns to a 3-2 record since taking over for Charlie Frye, who was traded to Seattle after a season-opening 34-7 loss to the Steelers.

Anderson has thrown 14 touchdowns passes in just five games -third in the NFL behind New England’s Tom Brady (27) and Dallas’ Tony Romo (16).

me: I really wish these guys would quit guarenteeing wins every week - it kind of loses its zing after getting blown out the first week.. Yet after several blow outs after guarenteed wins its getting ridiculous.. Why not start with guarenteeing they'll score a freakin touchdwon this week to start with?
                                -10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
                              • Rambos
                                Bentley: Browns, to the Rams?
                                by Rambos
                                LeCharles Bentley walked away from his lifelong dream of playing for the Browns on Wednesday because it just didn't feel like a dream anymore.

Bentley, who would have competed at both center and guard, said he thought he could have won a starting job if given the chance.

Bentley, who passed his Browns physical on Monday night, made his decision after participating in minicamp on a limited basis Tuesday morning and attending team meetings.

"The feeling just wasn't the same as when I first signed with the Browns," he said. "I thought it over through the course of the day, spoke with my mom, weighed my options and then got a good night's sleep. When I woke up, I knew what I had to."

Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowl center with New Orleans, signed a six-year, $36 million free-agent contract in March 2006 with the Browns.

Height: 6-2
                                Weight: 309
                                College: Ohio State
                                Experience: 6

Should the Rams take a long look?
                                -06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Browns lose Center Bentley for season
                                by RamWraith
                                BEREA, Ohio - Stretched out on a flatbed cart, LeCharles Bentley covered his face with a towel to hide his disappointment and tears.
                                Advertisment

This wasn't the homecoming he had planned.

His first season with the Cleveland Browns ended before it began.

Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowl center and one of the team's prized free agent signings this winter, sustained a season-ending injury to his left knee on the first 11-on-11 drill of training camp Thursday -- a crushing blow for a club seemingly cursed by major injuries the past few seasons.

"He was the face of our free-agent class," general manager Phil Savage said. "We feel terrible for LeCharles, but life goes on."

Savage said Bentley tore his patellar tendon and will undergo surgery as early as Friday. Savage declined to say if Bentley's tear was partial or complete and would not speculate on a timeframe for recovery.

Blocking for Reuben Droughns on an off-tackle running play to the right, Bentley, who played four years at New Orleans, was briefly engaged in a block up front with nose tackle Ted Washington when his left knee buckled.

Bentley screamed, "No!" and grabbed his knee as Cleveland coach Romeo Crennel and his staff blew their whistles to halt play. While on his knees, the 26-year-old Bentley punched the ground in disgust as the Browns moved their scrimmage up the field so the club's medical staff could attend to him.

Bentley's injury is the latest for a Browns team beset by serious medical setbacks - No. 1 overall picks Courtney Brown and quarterback Tim Couch had several major injuries - since the club returned to the league as an expansion team in 1999.

On Thursday, tight end Kellen Winslow had his first contact after missing the past two seasons with major leg injuries. The Browns are also without wide receiver Braylon Edwards, their first-round pick in 2005, who is expected to be out until Oct. 1 following knee surgery.

When Winslow was seriously hurt in a motorcycle before last season, Savage, who was beginning his first year in Cleveland, complained about Browns fans feeling as if their team was jinxed.

Despite Bentley's injury, he said the club has to push on.

"We have to stay above the talk of the negativity and stay above the talk of the Browns have done this or this has happened," he said. "We're going to have the mind-set and frame of mind going forward that we're going to get the job done. We're going to do some great things this season. Life goes on and I think our players realize that."

Bentley's injury seemed to sap the spirit out of Cleveland's morning practice, which ended with thunder rumbling in the distance.

The Browns signed Bentley to protect second-year quarterback Charlie Frye and help an offense that...
                                -07-28-2006, 05:29 AM
                              • ramsanddodgers
                                Billicheat responsible for Browns' ilnesses
                                by ramsanddodgers
                                It never ends.......
                                -10-30-2008, 10:43 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Browns GM Confirms Trade Talks With Rams
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Browns GM talks draft, free agency

Updated: March 8, 2012, 5:56 PM ET
                                ESPN.com news services

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert acknowledged Thursday that he has had talks with the St. Louis Rams about the No. 2 overall pick, but he wouldn't classify them as "serious."

He was asked if the Browns would be willing to give up both their first-round picks to go higher.

"I'd never say never about anything," said Heckert, who plans to attend Robert Griffin III's pro day workout on March 21.

Heckert met informally Thursday with reporters for the first time since undergoing heart surgery last month. A few pounds lighter, he recently returned to the office after recovering at home and missing the scouting combine in Indianapolis, where the Browns snared an up-close look at Griffin, Baylor's talented Heisman Trophy winner.

With the No. 4 overall pick, the Browns may have a chance to select Griffin, considered the best QB prospect in this year's draft behind Stanford's Andrew Luck, who is expected to be taken first by the Colts. But with Griffin's stock soaring and several teams desperate for a franchise quarterback, Cleveland, which also owns the No. 22 pick, likely would have to trade up to get St. Louis' pick at No. 2 -- if they want Griffin.

It's possible the Browns could wind up in a bidding war with several teams for a shot at Griffin. Heckert treasures draft picks and might be unwilling to part with any of Cleveland's selections. But the price might be worth it if the Browns, who have three of the top 37 picks, feel Griffin can reshape a franchise that has just one playoff appearance since 1999 and was the only AFC North team not in the playoffs last season.

Heckert called all the speculation about a possible trade with St. Louis preliminary and labeled media reports as "crazy." He also said it's possible the Browns might hold onto their first pick.

"We feel very comfortable staying at four and getting a good player there, and that could happen," he said. "And we feel comfortable in moving down and getting more picks, we really do. It's way early to start talking about this stuff."

Heckert said the Browns believe there are four quality quarterbacks in this year's draft class. In addition to Luck and Griffin, Heckert mentioned Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill "untapped" and Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden "super smart" during his 30-minute interview session. Heckert said he's eager to see the 28-year-old Weeden throw at his pro day on Friday.

And while the focus has been on jockeying for position to possibly get Griffin, Heckert said the Browns have not given up on Colt McCoy, who had an inconsistent season as a full-time starter.

"We're not down on Colt McCoy, so I just...
                                -03-08-2012, 04:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X