Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Refs

Are you kidding me?

That was awful officiating. 2 Non-called PIs then right after the first, they call an iffy one on Chavous. The 3rd-down where they gave them pretty much 2 extra yards. The Horse Collar call?

They didn't cost us the game but they did their best to give it away.

Re: The Refs

Originally posted by Milan View Post
    Are you kidding me?

That was awful officiating. 2 Non-called PIs then right after the first, they call an iffy one on Chavous. The 3rd-down where they gave them pretty much 2 extra yards. The Horse Collar call?

They didn't cost us the game but they did their best to give it away.
    That horse collar was a shocker. He didn't grab it and yank the player down, he held onto it, but he ran with Grant until he was able to reach in with the other arm and bring him down.

Comment

When It rains it pours, don't expect to get any of the calls when we are 3 and 10, it's just the way the year has gone.

Comment

hey at least the ref had a nice block on Nick Collins on Jacksons 46 yard run

Comment

The horse collar one was ridiculous. I have seen that play in many other games get no penalty. 15 yard facemask penalty on the O line was also amazing.

I think the Jets having their TD taken away during the Pats game though takes the cake since the Pats were given a TD in another game with the same control question. Some teams, especially the favored teams, do get a lot of breaks from the refs.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UtterBlitz View Post
            The horse collar one was ridiculous. I have seen that play in many other games get no penalty. 15 yard facemask penalty on the O line was also amazing.

I think the Jets having their TD taken away during the Pats game though takes the cake since the Pats were given a TD in another game with the same control question. Some teams, especially the favored teams, do get a lot of breaks from the refs.
            CONSPIRACY!

The great scandal of 2007 is now no longer "Spy Gate" but "REF-GATE"! As in, Officiate so as to keep the Patriots unbeaten.

Now, whilst not my personal stance, I can see how it's easy to believe (and it cushions the blow of a losing season.)

Comment

Wasn't a great day for refs at all, but it wasn't awful.

The two plays that were bad in my opinion were the Chavous penalty, that was hardly interference, Atogwe's second INT, he wasn't out of bounds and that fumble at the end.

Comment

And how about unsportsmanlike conduct getting called on the Rams bench? I can't remember the last time I heard a penalty called on players who aren't even in the game. Then there was the delay of game when the guy who thought he had a fumble recovery tossed the ball down at his feet. We even challenged the bad spot call in the first half, and they still gave the Pack at least an extra yard and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by UtterBlitz View Post

They were handed the win against the Ravens too, they didn't play well at all that day but the refs kept throwing in all the flags they needed to squeeze out a win. As if our terrible season wasn't enough the Patriots season just helps make this an even worse year :x Worst year since I've been watching football, it's just depressing...

Comment

Originally posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
                    They were handed the win against the Ravens too, they didn't play well at all that day but the refs kept throwing in all the flags they needed to squeeze out a win. As if our terrible season wasn't enough the Patriots season just helps make this an even worse year :x Worst year since I've been watching football, it's just depressing...
                    Yeah actually I guess it was the Ravens game that the refs called the winning TD for the Pats when the receiver had not secured the ball before he left the end zone.

I just wish the refs would be consistant in their calls so that I would not have to question some of these wins. Obviously the players question some of the calls also and they get more penalties for saying or doing anything.
                    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -12-17-2007, 06:16 AM. Reason: changing some words
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenfleece View Post
                      And how about unsportsmanlike conduct getting called on the Rams bench? I can't remember the last time I heard a penalty called on players who aren't even in the game. Then there was the delay of game when the guy who thought he had a fumble recovery tossed the ball down at his feet. We even challenged the bad spot call in the first half, and they still gave the Pack at least an extra yard and a half.
                      Unsportsmanlike conduct on the bench is a new one for me....I wonder what the bench did to get a penalty.
                      sigpic

Comment

Life stinks at 3-11. It's hardbreak after heartbreaks and no breaks for this team.
                        It's a bad ending.Refs are just grinches.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 01d 0rd3r
                          The Refs
                          by 01d 0rd3r
                          This is not meant to be a cop out, our offense didnt play up to snuff although i dont think they were horrible. Our play calling was beyond bad on some plays, and just what we needed on other plays (the screen to jackson on the final game tying drive).

But seriously the refs are making me sick to my stomach. These BS pass interference calls are getting on my nerves. The holt catch that was clearly out of bounds to anything that has eyes. How can this happen in a leauge were the refs are relied upon to make this game fair? I am begining to think that goodal wants another 0-16 team so he can pressure us into moving to LA.
                          -10-18-2009, 03:18 PM
                        • RamWraith
                          What about the Refs? -- Gap?
                          by RamWraith
                          Was it just me or did the Refs look like they were in preseason form Friday night? There was really marginal calls.

--Holts catch
                          --The QB hit by Lewis
                          --A couple of phantom pass interferences that went against the Skins
                          --Hands to the face
                          -08-30-2004, 09:31 AM
                        • jdpbmo
                          reviewing calls from the booth
                          by jdpbmo
                          Okay, enough is enough. I can usually sit by and hold my piece, but I am so tired of this idiotic process the NFL uses to review calls. It isn't that I'm against the reviewing of questionable calls. I am 100 % for it. I want the call to be right. A noncall or wrong call shouldn't cost a team the game. It all came to a head in the Detroit/GB game when they didn't bother reviewing the touchdown late in the game. How crazy was that? If I was in charge of that part of the game, there would be some people looking for work tomorrow. My main problem with the process is that you are asking officials that make a call, or maybe don't make a call, to reverse their own decision. You are asking them to second-guess themselves or perhaps members of their crew. Now we can sit there and say "well, so what if they have to reverse a call to get it right". Hey, news flash, these officials have egos. They don't want to come out and say "sorry everyone, we just blew that last call". So they look at the replay to satisfy us, then come back and say "indisputable evidence to reverse the call on the field". That's a load of crap. There have been plenty of calls that they show that need to be reversed, but until you get a seperate crew of 2 or 3 people in the booth who do nothing but review a call when it's challenged, you will continue to see this craziness happen. Why wouldn't you have people not associated with the officiating crew reveiwing these calls? If you did, you would find a number of calls overturned when it's obvious they are wrong. You would find calls that are legitimate standing as good calls. People would be satisfied for the most part. Except for the Z E B R A S. They will find they are making a call or two incorrectly in important situations. But you know what else you are doing? You are taking some responsibility from them. What does everyone think? jd
                          -11-25-2001, 07:37 PM
                        • Atlas
                          Opinions on the job of the Refs today
                          by Atlas
                          How do you think the refs did in today's games? I think all the games ran very smoothly, except maybe the Raiders game. The Rams and Titans games went better then most. The Titans game had more flags then any other so far, I think. But all of them were right on the money. Typical Titans ball. ;) Looking forward to seeing how this little drama plays out. And also hearing what Jim Rome has to say about the NFL's new offer.
                          -09-09-2001, 11:47 PM
                        • tomahawk247
                          Marquez catch and run and subsequent penalties
                          by tomahawk247
                          This isn't an excuse for the Rams loss, I just want to discuss this chain of events and get my head round it.

I was surprised that Marquez's 31 yard catch and run was wiped out, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. The catch was made and the yardage gained. Britt had the block in the back at the very end of Marquez's run, and Marquez gained no yardage as a result of the block.

Here is the gamebook line on the play:
                          (11:47) (Shotgun) 17-C.Keenum pass deep middle to 15-B.Marquez to BAL 18 for 31 yards [54-Z.Orr]. Penalty on STL-18-K.Britt, Illegal Block Above the Waist, offsetting, enforced at BAL 49 - No Play. Penalty on BAL-57-C.Mosley, Unnecessary Roughness, offsetting. Penalty on STL-71-G.Reynolds, Unnecessary Roughness, offsetting.

The Illegal Block Above the Waist is the block in the back penalty and is ten yards. I'm pretty sure its applied at the spot of the foul like in To me this should mean that you take ten yards off at the end of the play. That makes it a 21 net gain.
                          I would think its applied similar to a holding penalty, so if it happened at or behind the LOS its a 10 yard penalty from there, but if a hold happens downfield its 10 yards from the spot of the foul.

The unnecessary roughness call on CJ Mosley was as a result of him hitting Marquez after Marquez was down by contact, which can only occur after the play. Garrett Reynolds then hit Mosley for this late hit, drawing another Unnecessary Roughness penalty.

Now, the play was wiped out as all three penalties were apparently offsetting, requiring a replay of down.

But to me, there was one penalty during the play, which was the block in the back. Nothing to offset that. You apply the ten yards from the spot of the foul and the Rams still gained 21 yards on Marquez's catch. The play started at the Baltimore 49 so the Rams would have had the ball with a first down on the Baltimore 28.

The two unnecessary roughness penalties were after the play, and were on either team. Therefore they offset. Therefore the ball should have stayed at the 28.

The way the refs called it, the Rams remained at the 49, missed on the long third down (of course) and punted.

Have I missed something here as to why these penalties were offsetting? Surely the moment the play ends on Marquez being down by contact, it starts a separate chain of penalties? To me, it's no different than Marquez getting down then a fight starting between the two teams well after the play but before the next snap. You don't offset the penalties against the previous play in that situation do you just because the play before had a penalty right?
                          -11-23-2015, 03:17 AM
                        Working...
                        X