X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Coach Scott Linehan

Head Coach Scott Linehan

(On game)
    “The game was a real close game for the first three quarters. We spent a good deal of our time defensively on the wrong side of the field and offensively on the wrong side of the field. It is tough to overcome the field position battle. You spend the whole time playing on the long field or the short field. I don’t have the numbers in front of me of how many plays we spent on the minus part of the field. I know that 41 of their 53 plays were on the plus side of the field for them. You are not going to beat a good football team like this doing that. We had some plays that weren’t made, and we can go back and say ‘if we made that play here or if we finished that drive before the half’ we could have at least tied the game up. Again we have to give them credit for executing better than us.”

(On why the kick cover units are struggling)
    “We have to keep looking at who is on there. We have done a lot of shuffling and moving people in and out of there and we have not found the right combination. It has not been a bright spot for us, we have made some adjustments and made some progress for a few weeks, but we have not been consistent. We all need to take credit for that.”

(On scoring in the second half)
    “We are working on it, we haven’t been able to execute it. When you jump off sides and getting holding calls and give up a sack and you have to overcome that plus go 80 or 90 yards each time, it is hard to score points. We have not played good as a team in the second half. You can focus on offense, defense or special teams but our team has not been a good second half team. Our fourth quarter scoring and our ability to stop people in the fourth quarter has not been good enough. You have to win fourth quarters if you want to win in this league.”

(On the defense breakdown on the Greg Jennings TD catch)
    “There was zero man coverage and I think we had a miscommunication between a couple of players as to who was going to take the vertical and who had the underneath coverage. Obviously you can’t do that.”

(On QB Marc Bulger’s play in the first half versus the second half)
    “I credit their defense for tighter coverage, they got an early interception and that factored into it a little bit. Once we got behind we got into a little bit of a passing mode, more than what we had anticipated. I thought Bulger played very good except for a couple of plays that could have been made, but he is the quarterback and he throws the passes.”

(On RB Steven Jackson)
    “He is a great football player, and I think that game time is when you give him the football. I think we did a good job of getting him involved early and being able to run the ball. We still continue to try and mount some drives in a the run game.”

Re: Head Coach Scott Linehan

These coaches need to grow a couple, and blast the officials when they have such a negative impact on the flow of the game.

I didn't expect the RAMS to be able to keep up with the pack, but I didn't think the pack should have all the help the officials gave them to get past the RAMS.

This year the RAMS are perfectly capable of losing games, they don't need any help from the officials, and they got PLENTY today.

gap

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
      [PD]: Linehan: We weren't on the field long enough to start the run
      by Nick
      Linehan: We weren't on the field long enough to start the run
      Compiled by Jeff Gordon
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      Monday, Nov. 20 2006

After reviewing the accident footage from the Rams’ 15-0 loss at Carolina, coach Scott Linehan didn’t promise sweeping changes for his suddenly feckless offense.

Yes, Linehan will try to renew his commitment to running the football. “I’ve got to call more runs and have runs that stay on,” he said.

And, yes, some shuffling along the offensive line is probable – since Adam Goldberg, a natural right guard, got abused at left tackle.

“We’ve still got to look at what is our best five, and put guys in position where they are most comfortable, will have the most success,” he said. “You have to deal with that. It’s the hand we’ve been dealt. We’ve got to keep working on it and get better.

“We haven’t decided one way or another, there are a couple of options that we’re mulling over there.

“You can’t go out and replace your team at this point just because you have injuries. Everybody has to deal with them and we’ve got to deal with them and we’ve got to get better there.”

Here were some of his thoughts on Sunday’s fiasco:

On why the Rams didn’t run more: “I intended to run the ball more. We came out of some runs because we have some run-pass options on some. I think I counted six that were called that were thrown because of the (defensive) look. We left a couple on that weren’t successful because we still have to run the football.

“When you don’t stay on the field, when you go three and out, when you don’t convert on third down, it doesn’t give you an opportunity to do much of anything.

“We weren’t on the field long enough to establish a mix that you need to have to run the football. If you have a lead going into the second half . . . you really look at the teams that ran the football yesterday, you’re looking at teams that had a pretty good lead heading into the second half, fourth quarter. They ran the ball a lot more than anybody else. That’s when you get the majority of your extra carries. It’s going to going to be, at best, 50-50 against NFL defenses in first, second, maybe early third quarter because people are going to play to stop the run, make you one-dimensional.

“We just need to convert our third downs so we can continue to run more plays. We had more three-and-outs than we’ve had all year. That doesn’t give you any chance to keep it going.

“Our first two series, we put ourselves in manageable third downs. But when we did run the ball in the first half, our efficiency wasn’t there. We were not good on first downs. Our inability to have success on first down affected our ability to get to third downs that were manageable. When you’re third and long and second and long the whole game, you’re going to have a long day. We’ve...
      -11-20-2006, 09:48 PM
    • RamWraith
      Linehan's frustration continues
      by RamWraith
      By Jeff Gordon
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      12/17/2007

Yes, Rams coach Scott Linehan is frustrated.

He liked the way his offense moved the ball Sunday against Green Bay, but he didn’t much like his team’s poor field position all game LONG . . . or the two bad-luck deflection interceptions . . . or some of the officiating calls (which he won’t comment on) . . . or the usual missed plays here and there.

You get the idea.

“You can stand here all day and describe frustration,” Linehan said. “I don’t think it’s going to do a whole lot of good. The disappointing thing was there were a lot of positive things that happened in the game and it didn’t show up in the win column.

“Frustration is certainly very high when you aren’t able to win.”

Here are some other highlights of the news conference:

LINEHAN

On his offense: “There were good things. It wasn’t a bad day offensively. Other than the second half – the inability to score was the toughest thing. We had two turnovers, which were tough luck plays, and other than that I think we were very aggressive about our approach and I think guys were ready to play and we were able to run the ball against a team that’s been very good against the run as of late.

“We got some big plays in the passing game, we just weren’t able to get anything going in the second half. Really that started at the end of the first half coming away with no points in our two-minute drill. We started back after we moved down the field and had the early interception. We battled field position all day long as a team. When your average starting point in the game offensively is the 17-yard line and the opposing team’s offense is the 48 . . . I always go to that stat at the end of the game and that’s a pretty significant differential there.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been in a game where the offense had the ball for 14 minutes of one quarter and the opposing offense had it for one minute and got outscored 10-0, but it happened yesterday.”

On the terrible kick coverage: “We can tackle better. I think it was missed tackles. We’re getting guys in position. The first one was a good return by them, but again, we had an opportunity to make a play and minimize the damage. The next two returns we missed tackles right at the point of attack. It’s no different than defensively.

“If you’re having a tough day stopping the run as a defense, you go right to tackling. That’s been our issue a couple times this year. We’ve actually been a better coverage team up until yesterday for the last few games, but yesterday we did not get it done. I don’t think in any of our coverage, except for one punt, did we do a very good job.”

On Jeff Wilkins’ struggles: “He’s a human being. Great players have off games, off seasons, whatever you want to call them. For him, this...
      -12-18-2007, 06:32 AM
    • RamWraith
      Head Coach Scott Linehan
      by RamWraith
      Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 17, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“Claude Terrell does have a sore left thigh. It’s categorized as a bruise. He had an MRI today. We do not have any results from it, but we don’t anticipate anything other than that. Randy (McMichael) has a tight right hamstring that he pulled on the first catch of the game. He played with it, but it’s fairly sore today. Milford Brown did come out with a left ankle injury. Unless he has issues with it on Wednesday, as far as it being too sore to play on, we’ll assume he’s going to be okay. If he does have any problems at Wednesday’s practice we’ll MRI it, but he seemed to be getting better. Drew Bennett came out of the game okay. Pisa (Tinoisamoa) and Richie (Incognito) will be evaluated each practice this week as to how realistic they will be for being up this game. Both of them are still in question.”

(On DE Leonard Little)

“He has a sprained toe. He’s okay. He’s played with it, on and off throughout his career. He should be fine. I wouldn’t even anticipate him missing any time in practice.”

(On QB Marc Bulger)

“He just has sore ribs. He’s been hit a lot. It’s not just the line not blocking. We’ve been in some situations where we got third down and they (San Francisco) got free on a couple of their blitzes. He got a couple of them off, but he got hit on two. That’s a normal day’s work for a quarterback. I’d like to keep it to a minimum if we can. That’s going to be the key to our success in upcoming games.”

(On the game vs. San Francisco)

“It’s a similar story to the week before. We entered halftime with a lead. We came out of the blocks with the ball and we weren’t able to add to a six-point lead eventually. We had opportunities two weeks in a row to make it a two-score game, twice. Both times we turned it over. That will always come back to haunt you. I don’t know if it’s a lesson learned. We haven’t learned it yet. If we’re going to win these kinds of football games we’re going to have to take care of the ball better and we’re going to have to play better in the second half.”

(On turnovers)

“It can’t last because we can’t allow it to last. It’s happening because we’re too loose with the football. That starts with coaching. We say that we practice it, but it’s not carrying over in the games. To me, you play in games like you practice. Hopefully it’s a lesson we’ve learned the hard way and won’t continue it.”

(On if he wished WR Dante Hall had called a fair catch on the muffed punt)

“We trust his judgment and we’ll always trust his judgment. It’s easy to say now that we rather he caught it and returned it. Fair catch or not – a lot of times what people do is push and distract the returner by pushing...
      -09-18-2007, 05:04 AM
    • RamWraith
      Martz on the Mike
      by RamWraith
      Head Coach Mike Martz
      Tuesday, October 12, 2004

(Opening statement)
      “Obviously this is a terrific win for this football team and organization. It means a lot in many respects. We are getting better, they did not get disillusioned. There were a lot of young players that learned how to compete, and stay in it. We had some players show up in this game that made plays to help us win this game. Guys like (Shaun) McDonald, Kevin Curtis, of course Brandon (Manumaleuna) with his touchdown catch, and Steven Jackson. DeJuan Groce came in and just did an outstanding job. We’re making progress, and we’re getting better. I know the first half didn’t turn come out the way any of us wanted, but they didn’t give up. When we went in at halftime, it was what we needed to do, it’s a step-by-step process, and here’s how we need to go about it, and they weren’t discouraged, and of course they were able to get the job done. I was very happy and pleased with the effort and how hard they played in the second half. When we had to make a play, somebody made a play. I was very pleased with the effort of the offensive line, particularly Grant Williams in the second half. He gave up a sack in the first half, and a rush on that side, but he came back in the second half and was outstanding on the right side. He was a major reason that Marc (Bulger) was able to move around and make some of the throws that he did. It was a great effort overall as a football team. I though special teams was very solid, the punt return was huge, and I though we covered their kickoffs very well. It was just a solid effort on the kickoff returns. It was Sean Landeta’s best effort so far, in my opinion, in terms of punting the ball. He had great hang time and distance, and there was only one return. Second half, we just need to continue from there, and continue to build. Offensive player of the game, although he had three interceptions, is Marc Bulger. To have three interceptions and to come back and compete and to play at the level that he did, and make those kinds of plays under pressure, is clearly a statement about not just what type of person he is, but the incredible player that he is. Special teams wise, Eric Flowers, four tackles on special teams, just an incredible job. Just a special mention for Trev Faulk again, he had three (tackles). Our defensive player of the game, Tommy Polley, with 10 tackles and a pass broken up. Just a great comeback by Tommy, he was out with a fractured rib, and did a great job coming back and making his presence felt on this football team. All in all obviously it was a terrific win for us, but as all games at this point, we have to have a short memory and get ready for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers here on Monday night.”

(On Seattle’s defense on third down)
      “They changed quite a bit on third downs. They changed every third down. One was pressure, one was two, one was four, one was man, they changed everything. It all...
      -10-13-2004, 06:26 AM
    • RamWraith
      Post Game Quotes
      by RamWraith
      Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On injury to Derek Stanley)
      “Just to give you an injury update on Derek Stanley, he has a knee injury and he will have a MRI tomorrow. I think it is a significant injury, but we hope it is not, but he will have a MRI tomorrow.”

(On the game)
      “If nothing else this team is going to learn quickly in the future that when you have a chance to put a team away early in the game, that these turnovers are going to come back and get you sooner or later. Derek’s (Stanley) turnover led to seven points, then (TE) Joe Klopfenstein took seven off the board when it should have been 24-0 at halftime. When you let a team like that hang around and they come out and get the ball in the second half and they get a couple of field goals, then they are back into the game. You have a chance to really take care of it in the first half and you don’t do it, if nothing else hopefully this team will learn that that is the most important thing in the game.”

(On the Klopfenstein fumble and defenders being near him)
      “To me putting the ball to the ground doesn’t make a difference, you are responsible for that ball. He was wide open, he caught it, and he had enough time to cover it up and get to the ground.”

(On G Richie Incognito’s penalties)
      “I saw the pre-snap penalty but I didn’t see the holding penalty.”

(On WR Torry Holt’s offensive pass interference call by the referee)
      “I am not going to touch that. That is a young guy over there, a rookie referee. I am not sure what he saw, but obviously he thought it was pass interference and we have to live with it. If that is what he called it then that is what he called it.”

(On RB Kenneth Darby being in for the last possessions and Steven Jackson)
      “Because RB Steven Jackson was light headed and the doctor said he was down and he (the doctor) didn’t want him to go in, then he came in on the third down. That is why he was in there.

I am not really sure what happened with Steven, but when the trainer comes up and says that he is out until he is ready then he is out.”

(On passing the ball three times during the final possessions)
      “We had no timeouts, and we were trying to get a first down. We were trying to get a field goal and try to win the game.”

(On WR Derek Stanley attempting something different and risky)
      “I don’t know if it is risky, we ran about six or seven reverses today. I don’t think that was risky. He is a punt returner/kickoff returner, to me that is risky. Running a reverse is just carrying a football.”

(On the play of RB Steven Jackson)
      “I thought that Steven had a great first half, he didn’t get much going in the second half as far as the running game. He had 81-yards rushing in the first half and ended the game with 91 yards. It was a good first half. Obviously we didn’t get enough going...
      -12-15-2008, 05:57 AM
    Working...
    X