• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linehan's frustration continues

By Jeff Gordon
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/17/2007

Yes, Rams coach Scott Linehan is frustrated.

He liked the way his offense moved the ball Sunday against Green Bay, but he didn’t much like his team’s poor field position all game LONG . . . or the two bad-luck deflection interceptions . . . or some of the officiating calls (which he won’t comment on) . . . or the usual missed plays here and there.

You get the idea.

“You can stand here all day and describe frustration,” Linehan said. “I don’t think it’s going to do a whole lot of good. The disappointing thing was there were a lot of positive things that happened in the game and it didn’t show up in the win column.

“Frustration is certainly very high when you aren’t able to win.”

Here are some other highlights of the news conference:

LINEHAN

On his offense: “There were good things. It wasn’t a bad day offensively. Other than the second half – the inability to score was the toughest thing. We had two turnovers, which were tough luck plays, and other than that I think we were very aggressive about our approach and I think guys were ready to play and we were able to run the ball against a team that’s been very good against the run as of late.

“We got some big plays in the passing game, we just weren’t able to get anything going in the second half. Really that started at the end of the first half coming away with no points in our two-minute drill. We started back after we moved down the field and had the early interception. We battled field position all day long as a team. When your average starting point in the game offensively is the 17-yard line and the opposing team’s offense is the 48 . . . I always go to that stat at the end of the game and that’s a pretty significant differential there.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been in a game where the offense had the ball for 14 minutes of one quarter and the opposing offense had it for one minute and got outscored 10-0, but it happened yesterday.”

On the terrible kick coverage: “We can tackle better. I think it was missed tackles. We’re getting guys in position. The first one was a good return by them, but again, we had an opportunity to make a play and minimize the damage. The next two returns we missed tackles right at the point of attack. It’s no different than defensively.

“If you’re having a tough day stopping the run as a defense, you go right to tackling. That’s been our issue a couple times this year. We’ve actually been a better coverage team up until yesterday for the last few games, but yesterday we did not get it done. I don’t think in any of our coverage, except for one punt, did we do a very good job.”

On Jeff Wilkins’ struggles: “He’s a human being. Great players have off games, off seasons, whatever you want to call them. For him, this is an off season. He’s normally right up there, but he’s the first guy to take accountability for that. We haven’t identified the problem as anything unusual, I think it’s just been one of those years. He’s no different from the rest of us. He has to go back and look at what he’s doing and what we’re doing and work to improve. The goal is to finish real strong here these last two games at all positions.”

On benching Claude Wroten: “It was just a game-time decision. He hasn’t played a whole lot in the last couple weeks. Just based on who had the possibility of needing more backup time. We knew with James’ (Hall) ankle being a little bit sore still, having Trevor (Johnson) up gave us a little bit of insurance there at the end spot. Based it on how the week of practice went as well. Guys I think know that they are being evaluated, especially if they are in a back up role. What kind of week of practice you had tells if you are going to be up.”

On testing Derek Stanley as the kick returner, at the expense of Marques Hagans: “We tried to give a new guy a shot. Marques hasn’t had a whole lot of opportunities either so we had a couple of young players we wanted to get on the field. We didn’t have room for both of them. Based on how things went a week ago, we were going to try something new since both of our returners were out.”

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JIM HASLETT

On the blown coverage on Greg Jennings’ 44-yard TD pass: “It was a miscommunication, something that should never happen. Ronnie (Bartell) called it. I wished O.J. (Atogwe) would have called it off. (Bartell) was supposed to lock onto his guy. He tried to pass it off . . . just poor communication. It’s a shame, because it gave up a play that never should have happened. We had a free hitter to Brett (Favre) and we would have gotten a sack. Other than that, O.J. and Ron played pretty well.”

On Atogwe’s overall play: “He’s improved every day since I’ve been here, to be honest with you. He struggled the first half of the year last year. He started improving and improving. He has excellent ball skills. He’s kind of a magnet. He’s always trying to strip the ball out. He’s fast. He takes his job seriously. He is a great tackler in the open space. You see the range he has also. I still think he has a ways to go, but he’s getting better every day out there.”

On the play of cornerback Jonathan Wade: “I think Jon’s improving. He missed a tackle yesterday, which is disappointing. He missed a jam at the line of scrimmage. But he is really understanding the defense. He’s a guy that can run. When he does his techniques right, he’s pretty good. He doesn’t do it all the time.”

On the defense overall: “We had the one run get out because James (Hall) twisted his ankle again. But overall we tackled well. We did a lot of good things. It’s disappointing, we had a couple of plays . . . the bubble screen, we didn’t tackle. The one run and the deep ball. The deep ball just kind of muddied the whole thing. Besides that, they really didn’t do much to us.”

On the short work week: “For the players, it’s more an inconvenience than for the coaches. They have to get their bodies healthy and ready to go by Thursday. The coaches will be ready. We have to take care of the players and get them mentally ready.”

On his unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for protesting an officiating call: “I didn’t say anything. I just threw my game plan and almost ripped my shoulder out. That won’t happen again. You tell players to be accountable for their actions. You get a 15-yard penalty, you can’t have that happen.”

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREG OLSON

On the play of his offense: “We felt good about the game plan and we felt good about the way was going. On our last out in the second quarter, we had the tipped ball for the interception. We felt like we took points off the board in that series. We came out in the third quarter and the first drive resulted in the interception off Torry’s hands. So go back to back there, two series. That hurt. We came out in the second series of the third quarter, we had a big 15-yard penalty which is difficult to overcome.

“But we still felt like we were in the game. Our third drive was a 14-play drive. We got a no-call on the third-down play and then we missed a field goal. At that point, it became a 16-point game and we’re in the fourth quarter.

“We have to execute better. We have to hold onto the football. We have to take better care of the football and not turn it over. Penalties kill you and (poor) field position hurts you.”

On the short work week: “It forces you, somewhat, to simplify your game plan. With the short turnaround, it’s tough to put in a lot of new plays. We’ll go back and look at what we do well, and try to incorporate some of what we do well into different formations so they will feel comfortable with what we call.”

On Alex Barron’s false-start penalties: “It’s just him getting locked in on Marc’s voice in those situations. It wasn’t a situation where were using a lot of hard counts yesterday. Really, it’s just lack of concentration right now. He had done a much better job this season than he has the previous two seasons. He had the two yesterday and they were critical.”

On leaning heavily on Steven Jackson: “We can’t become a one-dimensional (passing) team. Steven has to be a big part of what we do, and the run game. He was running the ball hard yesterday and the guys up front were doing a nice job controlling the line of scrimmage, especially in the first half. Once the game got out of balance there in the fourth quarter, it took that part of our game away.”

Re: Linehan's frustration continues

On his unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for protesting an officiating call: “I didn’t say anything. I just threw my game plan and almost ripped my shoulder out. That won’t happen again. You tell players to be accountable for their actions. You get a 15-yard penalty, you can’t have that happen.”
    Well there is the description of the penalty on the bench which was really on the coach. That is amazing. Players can celebrate and show emotions as long as it is not in another players face. Apparently throwing anything even if it is the game plan on the sidelines will get you penalized. That seems excessive to me, but a lot of these unsportsmanlike conduct rules do.

The refs can do whatever they want and they are not held accountable and the coach throws down his game plan in disgust and he gets penalized. Wow.....:x
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith View Post
      By Jeff Gordon
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      12/17/2007

Yes, Rams coach Scott Linehan is frustrated.

He liked the way his offense moved the ball Sunday against Green Bay, but he didn’t much like his team’s poor field position all game LONG . . . or the two bad-luck deflection interceptions . . . or some of the officiating calls (which he won’t comment on) . . . or the usual missed plays here and there.

You get the idea.

LINEHAN

On his offense:

“I don’t think I’ve ever been in a game where the offense had the ball for 14 minutes of one quarter and the opposing offense had it for one minute and got outscored 10-0, but it happened yesterday.”

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JIM HASLETT

On the blown coverage on Greg Jennings’ 44-yard TD pass: “It was a miscommunication, something that should never happen. Ronnie (Bartell) called it. I wished O.J. (Atogwe) would have called it off. (Bartell) was supposed to lock onto his guy. He tried to pass it off . . . just poor communication. It’s a shame, because it gave up a play that never should have happened. We had a free hitter to Brett (Favre) and we would have gotten a sack. Other than that, O.J. and Ron played pretty well.”

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREG OLSON

On the play of his offense: “We felt good about the game plan and we felt good about the way was going. On our last out in the second quarter, we had the tipped ball for the interception. We felt like we took points off the board in that series. We came out in the third quarter and the first drive resulted in the interception off Torry’s hands. So go back to back there, two series. That hurt. We came out in the second series of the third quarter, we had a big 15-yard penalty which is difficult to overcome.

“But we still felt like we were in the game. Our third drive was a 14-play drive. We got a no-call on the third-down play and then we missed a field goal. At that point, it became a 16-point game and we’re in the fourth quarter.
      These are the frustrations of a team that's having a down on their luck season. On the otherhand when a team is on a roll like the Packers the luck always seems to swing to that teams side.
      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by Linehan
        On benching Claude Wroten: “It was just a game-time decision. He hasn’t played a whole lot in the last couple weeks. Just based on who had the possibility of needing more backup time. We knew with James’ (Hall) ankle being a little bit sore still, having Trevor (Johnson) up gave us a little bit of insurance there at the end spot. Based it on how the week of practice went as well. Guys I think know that they are being evaluated, especially if they are in a back up role. What kind of week of practice you had tells if you are going to be up.”
        Not excited to hear this one. He can say it was to clear up another End for Hall, but I gotta believe if Wroten had established himself in practice he would have been out there. Frustrating, really frustrating.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
          Not excited to hear this one. He can say it was to clear up another End for Hall, but I gotta believe if Wroten had established himself in practice he would have been out there. Frustrating, really frustrating.
          Not to add to your woes, HUbison, but I read on both Jeff Gordon's and Jim Thomas' blogs that Wroten is not doing well at all. It was Gordo, I believe, that said he was slow off the snap and easily knocked off balance. And Thomas said that Wroten is close to being a "certifiable bust" at this point. Now he doesn't even make the game day roster. Why is it so blasted hard for the Rams to find an inside pass rusher? All we're asking from this fat clown is to put pressure up the middle. Heck, I don't even care if he plays the run well at all.
          P.S. I'm excited about drafting Chris Long; but if Glenn Dorsey is on the board (stop me if you've heard this) we have to look seriously at taking yet another DT with a high first round pick. Oh well, welcome to Frustration City.

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
            Head Coach Scott Linehan
            by RamWraith
            Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 17, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“Claude Terrell does have a sore left thigh. It’s categorized as a bruise. He had an MRI today. We do not have any results from it, but we don’t anticipate anything other than that. Randy (McMichael) has a tight right hamstring that he pulled on the first catch of the game. He played with it, but it’s fairly sore today. Milford Brown did come out with a left ankle injury. Unless he has issues with it on Wednesday, as far as it being too sore to play on, we’ll assume he’s going to be okay. If he does have any problems at Wednesday’s practice we’ll MRI it, but he seemed to be getting better. Drew Bennett came out of the game okay. Pisa (Tinoisamoa) and Richie (Incognito) will be evaluated each practice this week as to how realistic they will be for being up this game. Both of them are still in question.”

(On DE Leonard Little)

“He has a sprained toe. He’s okay. He’s played with it, on and off throughout his career. He should be fine. I wouldn’t even anticipate him missing any time in practice.”

(On QB Marc Bulger)

“He just has sore ribs. He’s been hit a lot. It’s not just the line not blocking. We’ve been in some situations where we got third down and they (San Francisco) got free on a couple of their blitzes. He got a couple of them off, but he got hit on two. That’s a normal day’s work for a quarterback. I’d like to keep it to a minimum if we can. That’s going to be the key to our success in upcoming games.”

(On the game vs. San Francisco)

“It’s a similar story to the week before. We entered halftime with a lead. We came out of the blocks with the ball and we weren’t able to add to a six-point lead eventually. We had opportunities two weeks in a row to make it a two-score game, twice. Both times we turned it over. That will always come back to haunt you. I don’t know if it’s a lesson learned. We haven’t learned it yet. If we’re going to win these kinds of football games we’re going to have to take care of the ball better and we’re going to have to play better in the second half.”

(On turnovers)

“It can’t last because we can’t allow it to last. It’s happening because we’re too loose with the football. That starts with coaching. We say that we practice it, but it’s not carrying over in the games. To me, you play in games like you practice. Hopefully it’s a lesson we’ve learned the hard way and won’t continue it.”

(On if he wished WR Dante Hall had called a fair catch on the muffed punt)

“We trust his judgment and we’ll always trust his judgment. It’s easy to say now that we rather he caught it and returned it. Fair catch or not – a lot of times what people do is push and distract the returner by pushing...
            -09-18-2007, 04:04 AM
          • RamWraith
            Scott Linehan Tuesday, December 12, 2006
            by RamWraith
            Head Coach Scott Linehan

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

(Opening statement)

“We’ve got a pretty extensive injury list. Just to kind of go through it real quick…Victor (Adeyanju) will be questionable this week. Outside chance he might be ready for this game, so we’ll wait and see. Alex Barron still has the knee that…we kind of got him through the game. I think he was okay. Actually ended up having a cortisone injection in there. He did develop a little bit of a turf toe from the game, and was getting treatment today. He should be alright. Marc’s (Bulger) ribs seem to be getting better. Jerome Carter has an outside chance he’ll get some field work this week with his ankle. Tye Hill’s thigh…we’ve got to manage through that. I think he came out okay. (Isaiah) Kacyvenski is probably as good as he’s felt. He looks like he’s himself and about ready to get back on the field, so he has a real good shot at being out there this week. Leonard (Little) had his throat examined. It was more precautionary. He got hit basically in the Adams apple and it swelled to where he wasn’t able to breathe. They did a CT scan and it was all negative so he should be fine once the pain goes away. Paul Smith is getting an MRI. He’s getting some stingers in his neck, kind of going down both sides of his arm. He’s definitely questionable for this week. Pisa (Tinoisamoa), he broke the third metacarpal in this right hand, which is basically a similar break like the one he had on his left. It’s certainly limited, based on the injuries he’s been playing with, and now he’s in a position to where it’s really going to be difficult. We’re evaluation the likelihood of him being back this season. Nothing’s been made official, but there’s a good chance by tomorrow we’ll make that decision. It’s an unfortunate thing for Pisa. He’s been really good about going out there and giving it his all, and playing with a lot of adversity with the injury list that he has. It just seems like it wasn’t to be for him this year as far as getting through the season healthy.”

(More on Tinoisamoa)

“I talked to Pisa today, and I said ‘Maybe just get it out of your system’. It’s just bad fortune, and probably a lot of how he plays. He plays all-out, and holds nothing back. The only part about this game that becomes a downer for me is when guys start to get banged up. Not just because they miss, it’s just tough. It’s tough on them. It’s been tough on him all year, and he’s been really good about playing through it as much as he can. He’s had his fair share of bad luck when it comes to injuries.”

(On Tinoisamoa’s injured left elbow)

“I think it’s gotten better because he’s been able to lift with it. They said it’s something that won’t require surgery. It’s not very strong. He still had to tape it, and towards the end there he wasn’t even doing that. He took the brace...
            -12-12-2006, 04:16 PM
          • RamWraith
            Linehan, coaches won't use injuries for an excuse
            by RamWraith
            By Jeff Gordon
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            09/24/2007

Rams coach Scott Linehan put on his brave face Monday after telling the world that Steven Jackson is hurt.

Jackson will miss at least one game – and possibly additional time – with a partial groin muscle tear.

“We’ve been hit by the injury bug,” Linehan said. “But you can’t go there . . . look at it like we’ve got an insurmountable, on paper, challenge for us this week. We’re sitting here with no wins in three games and we’re playing probably the hottest team in defensive the NFC, maybe all of football right now.

“If we keep our minds right, it’ll be the greatest win we’ve had since we’ve been here. It will be exciting to watch Brian Leonard and Travis Minor play. That’s the only way you can be.

“You’re not going to stand here and create excuses for your football team. We’re going to suit up and we’re going to play ball against Dallas.”

Linehan also reported that Mark Setterstrom will miss the rest of the season, as feared, with a serious knee injury. And he admitted that Bulger has been playing with two broken ribs in addition to badly bruised knees.
            Advertisement

Here are some other highlights of the coaching news conference:

LINEHAN:

On the condition of quarterback Marc Bulger: “He almost didn’t make it out of the last game . . . he’s limited. He was limited going into the game. He has a couple of broken ribs, but he played with it. We’re not going to say that’s the reason why he didn’t have the best game of his career. That was not an easy task. He should be much better this week. He’ll feel much better in practice which will enable him to have a better week of practice.”

On why he didn’t use back-up Gus Frerotte: “If (Bulger) is too hurt to play, he’s not going to play the game. We have 100 percent confidence in Gus, but Marc played with it last year. He had a similar injury and was able to perform. My feeling was, if he was able to practice pretty much Wednesday and Thursday without taking too many plays off, there was no question we were going to go there.”

On the loss of Setterstrom: “We’ll be looking at some replacement possibilities in the next 24 to 48 hours.”

On the fill-in guards Milford Brown and Claude Terrell: “They’ve got the size for the position. It helps us match up against the interior people we were playing in that game. It’s better in the run. You saw some of that from our success when we ran the ball this game, versus the first two. It should enable us to continue to do that.”

On using Andy McCollum to fill in: “It’s an option. Obviously he’s been a great center for years and center is his position. Because of his experience, his ability and what he knows, he’s definitely an option.”

On the status of Richie Incognito: “He is making strides....
            -09-25-2007, 05:12 AM
          • RamWraith
            Coach Scott Linehan December 17
            by RamWraith
            Head Coach Scott Linehan

December 17, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“There are no injuries to report other than Travis Minor had a pretty badly sprained ankle. It is a high-ankle sprain. It will put him out for the remaining two games. We’re waiting to see how guys look and feel tomorrow. It’s a short week. Tomorrow’s a work day for us. I’ll know more about guys’ status that way.”

(On if S Hanik Milligan, WR Brandon Williams or T Rob Petitti will be active on Thursday)

“It’s hard to say. (Hanik) Milligan is probably the closest. Brandon Williams is a possibility. (Rob) Petitti is probably the furthest away (from playing on Thursday).”

(On when RB Travis Minor was injured)

“It was in the second half. He tried to go again and got rolled up on. It was in the third quarter.”

(On if Minor will be placed on reserve/injured)

“I don’t know. He’ll sit this week for sure. With two games remaining we have to determine if he’ll be IR or just remain on the inactive list.”

(On WR Derek Stanley returning kicks and why he returned over WR Marques Hagans)

“We tried to give a new guy a shot. Marques hasn’t had a whole lot of opportunities either so we had a couple of young players we wanted to get on the field. We didn’t have room for both of them. Based on how things went a week ago, we were going to try something new since both of our returners were out.”

(On if QB Marc Bulger experienced concussion-like symptoms after the game)

“Not that I know of. I have not seen him yet today. He had no problems at all afterwards. I’m assuming he’s fine.”

(On how difficult a short week will be)

“We did quite a bit of preparation last week at the end – not really much other than what we normally do. The quality control person got quite a bit ahead of it. We knew it was going to be a tight week. We spent some time, you have to. A Thursday game after a Sunday game, the turnaround is unbelievable. There is very little preparation time on the field, so we are going to have to get a lot done in walk throughs and film studies this week.”

(On if it’s possible to have a comprehensive game plan in a short week against an opponent the Rams don’t normally play)

“It’s toned down a little, not a lot. We still have a game plan and scheme as much as you can, especially against a team like this. What I’m thinking, specifically offensively, the looks they give you on defense. We have to be as comprehensive as we can, but without putting our guys out there. It’s going to be a tough challenge with a short week going against a defense like this. Offensively, they are playing well too. We have our work cut out for us again.”...
            -12-17-2007, 05:57 PM
          • RamWraith
            Coach Scott Linehan October 1, 2007
            by RamWraith
            Head Coach Scott Linehan

October 1, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

We do not have the MRI results on Isaac Bruce. He had a left hamstring strain in the second half. We don’t have the results of that yet. Most of the tests were done this afternoon.

“Corey Chavous had an MRI on his left pectoral that was performed this afternoon.

“Adam Goldberg had this morning. He has a left knee (injury) – a grade 2 or grade 3 MCL sprain which will be at least four weeks. He will be out this game for sure. The next month he will not be available.

“James Hall had a pectoral which he strained last week, which he also had an MRI.

“Steven Jackson will be out again for this game with his injury. He is improving.

“We had an MRI on Leonard Little’s right knee and do not have the results of that right now.

“Dane Looker was kept in Dallas for a contusion on his leg. He will be down there as early as tomorrow night, maybe Wednesday. It’s such a bad thigh bruise that there is no where for that blood to go. They don’t want to get him in the air. He’ll stay down there until tomorrow night or at the latest, Wednesday morning before he’s released. He’ll be out this game.

“Raonall Smith had an MRI on his right knee this afternoon. We do not have the results as of yet.”

“There is an old saying, ‘it is what it is.’ I guess that’s where we’re at right now. There’s not a whole lot to say other than relive and rehash the last four weeks as to how we got here. There are a lot of things that got away from us, especially in the second half of games. We have to get that changed if we expect to win.”

(On the logic to sitting QB Marc Bulger until his ribs heal)

“There’s logic to a lot of things. We could probably sit out Drew (Bennett) with his thigh again. We could probably sit out Richie Incognito another week so he can get his foot a little bit more healed. The decision was made based on whether he was capable of doing his job. Last year he played with a very similar injury and played his best football. He’s our quarterback. If he’s not in the game we feel we’re not giving ourselves the best chance to win. Certainly hindsight says if he was 100 percent, maybe he plays better and Gus (Frerotte) may play better healthy. He was feeling better and had a much better week at practice last week. Logic isn’t always the answer for a number of reasons. I go back on past experience with the player and he played extremely well. We have to get him playing good again. That’s a big part of what we have to do. He’s getting healthier.”

(On if Bulger will start against Arizona)

“Yes, no doubt. We have to pick up the pieces....
            -10-02-2007, 05:26 AM
          Working...
          X