X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Coach Mike Martz

Sunday, August 15, 2004

(On getting back to practice)
    “With that time off they ran and lifted this morning, kind of got the blood going a little bit. We’re out here in full gear, and it’s hard to get use to that after you’ve been off for a little bit. I thought they did a good job trying to get into it.”

(On having so much time between the first and second preseason game)
    “I think it’s good for us, because it’s the week we’re breaking camp. It’s also late in camp where you can continue to use a lot of your two-a-days. So there is a great deal of time here and that gave us an opportunity to give them a couple of days off. Normally you can’t do that and let them recover. They’ve recovered pretty good, we should have a real good week of practice.”

(On the weather conditions being so cool)
    “I’m not worried about the heat, we play indoors and it’s air conditioned. The conditioning part of it is the cardiovascular condition, not endurance to the heat. If you played in the heat all the time, you would have to condition for it, we don’t play in it. If you play in all this heat, you just get run down, and the work doesn’t come out as well. That’s why when it’s real hot we go indoors.”

(On CB Travis Fisher’s injury)
    “He thought he would be ready to go, but he’s still got a little bit of weakness back there, he just doesn’t feel right. He’s frustrated, obviously. Over the years, with all these hamstring injuries, if it doesn’t feel right, it’s not right. So until that thing feels the way it should, we’re going to be very careful with him.”

(On G Chris Dishman not being at practice)
    “When we signed Chris he didn’t get a chance to say bye to his family. So we gave him a day to get back and kind of get his things in order, like everybody else has a chance to do before they come to camp. He needed an opportunity to get back, and get some things squared away.”

(On RB Joey Goodspeed’s performance)
    “As a fullback what’s so terrific about Joey is he’s really a good lead blocker, but when you throw him the ball, as you could see up at the scrimmage, his mobility, he’s a good runner. That’s something we haven’t had in a fullback in quite sometime. I think he’s a complete player.”

(On RB Marshall Faulk playing in preseason game against the Chiefs)
    “If he did it’s because he really wants to. We’re on pace not to play him. We sat down with him before camp started, and we went through this and mapped it all out, and he’s very comfortable with it. But we’ll see.

(On DE Anthony Hargrove)
    “Anthony’s family was in that hurricane, his girlfriend was missing, he’s got some people that were missing, so he flew down there. Fortunately, they had gone to another town, and were accounted for once he got down there. He’s got a lot of things to do with his family, to help them get back on their feet into a hotel, because their house is gone basically. He should be back tomorrow night.”

(On G Scott Tercero’s performance at LG)
    “I don’t know I haven’t looked at the tape, we’ll look at it tonight. He’s going to do everything you ask him to, I know that. He won’t make mistakes, we’ll let him get adapted to it.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan--Wednesday, August 23
    by RamWraith
    (On today’s practice and injured players) “It was a much better tempo for the style of work and practice we want to get done. Today was our Thursday-like practice. We made many improvements from where we were yesterday as far as how we went about our business. It takes a while to get the expectation of what we want. We’re getting guys back in there; Orlando (Pace) did more, Torry’s (Holt) still fairly sore (so) we kept him out, we kept Isaac out of some things today. He’s fine he just has “camp legs” a little bit; he’s fine, he could’ve gone I just kept him out of a couple of drills. Leonard (Little) did a little more today. He’s getting better. He’s still not 100 percent, you’d have to ask him, but I think he looks much better. JB’s (Jerametrius Butler) back. His wife still hasn’t had her baby. She’s right there. She’s a week overdue and had a couple of false alarms. Madison’s (Hedgecock) coming along, Paul Smith looks as close to 100 percent as he’s been since he pulled his calf. “

(On DE Anthony Hargrove’s absence from practice) “(Anthony) Hargrove has had a death in the family. He’ll be down there for the funeral. I think they have the wake Thursday night and the funeral Friday. Then he’s going to meet us in Kansas City Friday night.”

(On preparation for the third preseason game) “The closer you get, the more you want to tune things up a little better. This one’s different for us because it’s our first road game. It’s the first time for this coaching staff and this team together. So, how we travel and how we meet, are all part of getting into a routine. We were able to develop a routine at home. But we haven’t had a road game yet, so we have to get all of that done. Our first units will play more in this game than they have in the first two. We haven’t determined the exact amount. Certainly a good portion of the first half and then guys that are battling it out will get the remainder of the game.”

(On LB Dexter Coakley coming back from injury) “He’s done great. I was worried about him in the spring because he was still limping. Things didn’t really get going until the middle of March when he was cleared to start running. He did a lot of rehab on that thing and got it back. I was really surprised he was able to do the OTAs (Offseason Training Activities) when he was. I think that’s one reason why he’s doing so well now. He got himself in really good shape and got his legs back underneath him in the off-season. He’s done great. He’s one of our definite veteran leaders that does a great job with this team in all areas; special teams, in the locker room, he’s a backup that accepts his role (after) being a starter. He’s what you’re looking for.”

(On DT Claude Wroten) “It’s been very good. He had a good a real good week last week. How much he showed up this week and last week, I don’t know. Sometimes in a game like that it’s hard to tell in a game like that,...
    -08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
  • RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan August 2, 2006
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

August 2, 2006

(On today’s practice)

“We worked some situations today, some goal line, short yardage, continuing to work our blitz on both sides of the ball and continue to hone in on situations. We’re getting there. It’s the dog days, particularly now. We’re almost there. You get through this week and then you actually have a game in sight. But right now we’re still plugging away and I think we made some improvement this morning.”

(On reminding players to keep the tempo up during practice)

“That’s what you have to do. The body starts to shut down. They’re friendly reminders, that’s a good way of putting it.”

(On his expectations for RB Steven Jackson)

“The expectation for him is like all of the players: To give their best and improve everyday. I think Steven’s done a great job of accepting what we’re doing as far as our attitude and our philosophy. He’s certainly going to benefit from practicing the way we are and committing to the things we’re committing to. He’s running that ball downhill. We know he can get to the edge, and that’s going to be a big part of what he does. We’re going to hit that thing inside, and be able to get it outside as well. He’s doing a great job of really working on that part of his game.”

(On LT Orlando Pace)

“We have the obvious special players on this team that have played at a high level for a number of years Orlando’s certainly one of them. If you were going to make one of those LTs, he’s what you’re looking for. And he does a great job. He obviously had the child the other day, but he’s been out here grinding with everybody and doesn’t miss any reps. He certainly does things you can’t coach, but he’s also a very coachable player who takes pride in his technique. It’s a luxury for us because the young guys can watch how he goes about his business.”

(On the backup RB situation)

“Obviously, Tony Fisher is doing a great job there. One announcement is that we’ve agreed to terms with Moe Williams, who played for me when I was in Minnesota and played last year there, got hurt and actually went on IR and recovered from a knee surgery in the offseason. We brought him in twice. The first physical was incomplete so we brought him in again and he cleared that physical. We met with him yesterday and we came to terms today. He should be here by tonight or tomorrow. He’ll be ready to go. What Moe brings is somebody that is familiar to our system, but a veteran who has played in a role as a backup and as a three. So, between Mo and Tony Fisher we’ve got guys that are handling the same thing. Mo was a real strong special teams player as well. We’re just strengthening our team because we add a real quality back-up running back that has played very well in this system...
    -08-02-2006, 07:42 PM
  • RamWraith
    The Quote Sheet: Linehan, Pace
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan
    Tuesday, August 15

(On today’s practice) “Another perfect day in St. Louis. We got a lot of situations worked and reworked; we’re really starting to work on special situations of the game and we’ll continue to do that as we get closer and closer to the season. Obviously, with the games involved, we’ll get them worked in games. I was very happy with the workmanlike approach in today’s practice. Orlando’s [Pace] probably going to be good to go and do some things tomorrow. He probably could have done some things today, but we didn’t force it; he’s going to be fine. We limited Leonard [Little] a bit. He has a slight strain in his quad that’s kind of nagging. Jamal Brooks had a little bit of a toe issue, but it’s just a sprain. Everyone else seems to be getting through it. It’s general camp issues, nothing big to report.”

(On RB Paul Smith, who sat out of today’s practice) “Well Paul’s the one. He’s got a calf. He probably could go some, but he’s gone so hard and been through so much in these practices. He played a lot of fullback in the game and special teams, so we’re trying to give him a little time off and try to let that calf come around a little bit. His calf just has a little strain.”

(On CB Tye Hill practicing with the ones and whether or not it was an effort to rest CB Travis Fisher) “A little bit, and to get Tye some more work. I’m trying to do that with all the rookies actually, move them in occasionally with the first group. I think more than anything it’s just getting him some more snaps. I felt like after last night’s practice he needed a few more looks at some of the things he made mistakes on in last night’s practice.”

(On whether or not T Orlando Pace missing practice was totally precautionary) “Totally precautionary, he’s fine. It’s just a little bit of soreness and we thought it was just a good opportunity to work Todd [Steussie] a little bit more over there.”

(On how healthy the team as a whole has been thus far) “There’s the old ‘knock on wood’ theory, I just think it’s the way we condition and train. I think that has more to do with it than just luck. Some of it is luck, but I think our guys came into camp in great condition. That’s why we’ve maintained a pretty healthy group.”

(On who he expects to step up at fullback with Paul Smith and Madison Hedgecock both sidelined with injuries) “We’ve been working our tight ends primarily in that spot. If we got in a game, we would do something maybe with one of the other tailbacks or one of the tight ends certainly. Lucky for us, right now we don’t have that dilemma, but that’s what we would do and that’s what we’re doing in practice.”

(On whether or not the ability to fill in at fullback is a helpful trait for a tight end to have in terms of making the roster) “Yeah, it’s basically an H-back spot. You go from being a tight end or a second tight end basically...
    -08-15-2006, 08:11 PM
  • RamWraith
    The Quote Sheet - Day 8
    by RamWraith
    Coach Scott Linehan
    August 3, 2006

(Opening statement) “Well, we got the practice in. We didn’t know if we were going to have to move in. They said there was a chance of storms but it turned out to be a pretty nice day. It was warm when we came out. We actually got a breeze and we were able to get a lot of things done. I thought the defense had a real good day. I thought the offense was sloppy. We can’t allow that to happen. We just didn’t finish very good, it was decent. We made some progress, got some new things in, worked on some situational football but we just got to be more focused on the details, especially on the offensive side of the ball. We’re going to work real hard at getting that corrected.”

(On why the offense ran after practice) “Sometimes you’ve just got to remind yourself that if we don’t pay attention to little things, big things can’t happen. I think that’s one of the things that really challenges you as a team when you start getting weary, start getting tired. You forget the little things that are important.”

(On adjusting the schedule tomorrow because of Saturday’s practice) “No, we’ll have two practices. The [Friday] night practice we’ll be practicing in shells, which is soft pads. Work a little seven-on-seven and mostly kicking game. Then on the scrimmage Saturday we’ll focus primarily with the first unit in a controlled scrimmage environment, ones-on-ones, work some run game, maybe a little red zone. Then we’ll scrimmage selected ones and twos and threes in a move-the-ball setting on Saturday morning.”

(On having officials at practice) “It reminds them, hey, get up on the ball. Keep your hands inside, you know all thing things that as you go through it, you can get a little sloppy because the officials aren’t watching that. We coach it, but they see things that they’re emphasizing. They start to be reminded of the presnap alignment things that they’re emphasizing, little flinches in the line, all those kinds of things you don’t want to have. For the most part we’re getting better there. We just had a couple instances of pre-snap penalties. You can’t have that. That’s the kind of thing that, you start moving backwards before you ever get the ball in your hands, you’re behind the eight ball, so we’ve got to work hard at not having those.”

(On how Ron Bartell’s ankle injury) “He’s got a sprain, and how serious is it, I don’t know. Right now all indications it’s a sprain.”

(On the plan with RB Moe Williams) “He’s got to condition while we practice. He took a lot of show team reps. He’ll get more reps as we go. You don’t want a guy that hasn’t been through an offseason program or through 10, 11 practices to go in right away, full speed and live tackle drills. We’ll go as we go. You’ve always got to pull Moe out of that environment and you’ve got to control that and be smart with him. It’ll be more conditioning...
    -08-03-2006, 07:54 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    http://stlouisrams.com/article/44967/
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, August 27, 2004

(On having practice outdoors)
    “It was a change of pace. It was good to get them outdoors and move around a little bit. That’s what these fields are for. We haven’t been on them for about four months, or whatever it has been.”

(On how the offensive line is progressing)
    “Good. I’m very pleased with the progress of G (Scott) Tercero and G Chris Dishman. We know our center and right guard are stellar performers. T Grant Williams is now on the mend, and he was really having a terrific camp. Those guys are solid and I’m very pleased with that. We are a little thin right now, particularly in experience. We’ll be fine.”

(On T Grant Williams’ injury)
    “He has so much scar tissue from the surgery that every now and again he tweeks it. When that happens, from the way they explained it to me, sometimes it scares you. His biggest (problem) is not so much the pain, but keeping (his ankle) strong. I think he feels much better now than he did a week ago.”

(On how G Tom Nütten has been playing)
    “Tommy had a nice practice yesterday and I think he’s coming back into it really well. I think a little faster than he anticipated. His stuff is coming back to him pretty good, He needs to play here. We’ll get him in there and let him play.”

(On G Adam Timmerman)
    “He has had such a great camp, we are going to try to back off of him as much as we can, within reason. He still needs to get some reps in. I think (he will be ready to play) on Friday night.”

(On DT Damione Lewis and DT Ryan Pickett)
    “They have had a real solid camp, particularly D-Lew (Damione Lewis) at times up there in Macomb, has really flashed on us. Hopefully that will emerge in the season.”

(On the battle for the starting right defensive end)
    “It is very competitive. I think Bryce Fisher, right now, would be considered the starter. But when you look at the other two guys, and I would include (Anthony) Hargrove in there too, as he grows and matures with this defense and at his position I think he will be someone to contend. And of course Erik (Flowers) can go from side to side, and Tyoka (Jackson) can move back inside. The way we play our defensive ends, and the inside guys, we roll those guys. (Defensive line coach) Bill (Kollar) keeps those guys as fresh as he can. So they all play. It’s not like one guy is going to play 80 percent of the snaps. We don’t do that.”

(On what he wants to see out of the team on a short week)
    “The biggest thing is, I want the ones to be sharp. Obviously, that is not what we did on Monday night. We did do that in the opener. I felt real good about our first group in there. And continue to take a look at some of these guys in the second half because we are going to have to make some hard decisions. When the first...
    -08-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Working...
X