Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillips making us proud again

NORM: NFL washout sells ring at pawnshop

Trouble-prone football star Lawrence Phillips apparently hit rock bottom in Las Vegas.

Phillips, an NFL bust after helping Nebraska to consecutive national titles in the mid-1990s, walked into a downtown Las Vegas pawnshop not long ago and sold one of his Big Eight championship rings for $20.

"He said he was stuck in Las Vegas," said Steve Gibson, owner of Steve's Buy & Sell, 625 Las Vegas Blvd. South. "He said, `I need to get out of town.' "

Gibson, who turned around and sold the ring on eBay for $1,700, said he tried to talk Phillips out of selling it. "I thought about giving him $20, but he would have just walked down the street and sold it."

Phillips, the sixth player taken in the 1996 draft, by the St. Louis Rams, ran afoul of the law throughout his pro career.

Phillips told Gibson he tried to hawk the ring "at every pawnshop from Tropicana to downtown," but nobody was interested because it was not gold.

"His name was on the side of the ring, but I didn't believe it was him until I saw his driver's license," Gibson said.

Re: Phillips making us proud again

That's sad, although I wish he'd have sold it to me so I could have made the $1,680 turnaround on the ring.

Comment

Tell me a story about a hard working man who has a family that he tries his best to take care of, only to get laid off by some company, and then has to sell his wedding ring to pay rent and I'll say "that's sad."

I have no sympathy for a piece of trash like Phillips.

Comment

It's just sad, but as they say...you make your bed, you must lie in it.

Comment

Tell me a story about a hard working man who has a family that he tries his best to take care of, only to get laid off by some company, and then has to sell his wedding ring to pay rent and I'll say "that's sad."

I have no sympathy for a piece of trash like Phillips.

Outstanding point, Avenger!

As a humorous sidenote....you haven't lived until you've been down and out and looking at your last nickel in Vegas. :redface:
          Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Working...
          X