Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

From th3 Boston Herald

Source: Pats employee filmed Rams

By John Tomase | Saturday, February 2, 2008 |

Photo by Nancy Lane
    PHOENIX - One night before the Patriots face the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, new allegations have emerged about a Patriots employee taping the Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI.

According to a source, a member of the team’s video department filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before that 2002 game. The next day, the Patriots upset St. Louis, 20-17, on a last-second field goal by Adam Vinatieri for their first championship.

A walkthrough involves practicing plays at reduced speed without contact or pads. It is common for teams to film their own walkthroughs and practices.

When contacted last night, Patriots vice president of media relations Stacey James said: “The coaches have no knowledge of it.”

Yesterday, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) stated that he plans to summon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell before Congress to explain why he destroyed tapes that showed the Patriots stealing defensive signals over the last two years.

After his state of the NFL press conference yesterday, Goodell was asked if the league’s investigation into the Pats included allegations that they recorded the Rams walkthrough in 2002.

“I’m not aware of that,” Goodell said.

“We have no information on that,” seconded NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

According to a source close to the team during the 2001 season, here’s what happened. On Feb. 2, 2002, one day before the Patriots’ Super Bowl game against heavily favored St. Louis in New Orleans, the Patriots visited the Superdome for their final walkthrough.

After completing the walkthrough, they had their team picture taken and the Rams then took the field. According to the source, a member of the team’s video staff stayed behind after attending the team’s walkthrough and filmed St. Louis’ walkthrough.

At no point was he asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source said. The cameraman rode the media shuttle back to the hotel with news photographers when the Rams walkthrough was completed, the source said.

It’s not known what the cameraman did with the tape from there. It’s also not known if he made the recording on his own initiative or if he was instructed to make the recording by someone with the Patriots or anyone else.

The next day, the Patriots opened a 14-3 halftime lead on the Rams, who were 14-point favorites and operators of an offense known as “The Greatest Show on Turf.”

The Rams didn’t begin moving the ball until the fourth quarter, when their 14-point rally pulled the teams into a 17-17 tie with less than two minutes remaining. Tom Brady then led the most famous drive in Patriots history for the winning field goal.

The Patriots were fined $750,000 and docked a first-round draft pick for breaking league policy and filming the Jets’ defensive signals from the sideline in September.

Asked yesterday if he believed the Pats used similar films to achieve their three Super Bowl victories, Goodell was adamant.

“No,” he said. “There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories.”

Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

I'm pissed
    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

i always thoguht something was up with that game. we beat them pretty good in the reg season and then all of a sudden they could stop us on a dime. it would be nice to see a second banner hanging in the dome next year once they take that win away from the cheatriots. whats the chance that would happen?

Comment

I want our Lombardi Trophy back!

As a somewhat amusing side note, I watched some of the game on NFL network this week, and Brady had an ankle injury going into that super bowl as well. I hate Brady so much...
        I believe!:ram:

Comment

This sort of talk is bad for the NFL. The seeds of doubt can be planted and then the sport loses honor and respect. It never made sense to me that they destroyed the tapes so quickly. Perhaps there is more evidence out there and people that will speak out if it is true.
          sigpic

Comment

Steve Young is slamming them on Sportscenter and I love him for it.
            I believe!:ram:

Comment

A sad day for the NFL if proven true. How can we not feel bitter.

Comment

It seems strange that the pats become a great team after beating the rams in the superbowl and later get found out for recording the jets seems to me they have been doing recording of teams since then but only got caught once. Of course the NFL don't want this to come out. COME ON THE GIANTS

Comment

well don'r worry about it. the NFL is bigger than the RAMS . even if they found hard solid fact that indeed the PATS were cheating . they would never take away a SB trophy from AMERICA'S favorite team . they would sweep it away to save face for the NFL. and that is sad . the truth will set you free. too bad pro sports never tell the truth . and in the end , it's us the fans that are cheated and stolen from . money , memories , honor for your team . how many times does the dog have to bite the masters hand before he stops feeding him .

Comment

If this is proven true, I too will be upset. However it is amusing that this story has been saved until the day before the superbowl. hmmm.

If it is true, Wilkins gets to kick all of the patriots in the crotch during our first preseason game next year.

That will get people to fill the seats for a meaningless game.

Comment

this story kind of makes me feel like i have been molested.

Comment

That explains it- the Pats must have had tapes of love smith employing that weak-azz, soft zone, prevent defense before he threw it out there at the end of that game. I mean, how else could Tom Brady have driven his team all the way into field goal position against a mush pass rush and DBs who are 30 yds downfield??? It just didn't make sense until now!!!:|

Comment

i still cant watch any of the replays of that game. it makes me physically ill.this feel like the scab has been removed from my wound.i hope the g-men kill 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by union jack rammer View Post
                            i still cant watch any of the replays of that game. it makes me physically ill.this feel like the scab has been removed from my wound.i hope the g-men kill 'em.
                            Welcome to the clan union jack. Sometimes it is best to forget the past. If there is nothing to be gained from it, you might as well just forget it happened. In the end, I think we fans are really interested in being united, even if the game is flawed. Not many things in life are fair. Winning is important, but how you play the game is also important.

I would hate to hear that the Rams used unfair tatics to win games. I would rather support a losing team than one that is found to use any means to win games.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the welcome UtterBlitz.I suppose it is time to let go,but i'll always turn the channel when they show the replay

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                                Belichick Denies Taping Rams Before Superbowl ..
                                by MauiRam
                                Updated: February 18, 2008, 12:59 AM EST
                                BOSTON (AP) - Patriots coach Bill Belichick broke his silence on New England's twin taping controversies, denying he told anyone to tape the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl and apologizing for all the attention generated by Spygate. Belichick also told the Boston Globe he "couldn't pick Matt Walsh out of a lineup." Walsh, a former Patriots employee, reportedly taped St. Louis' walkthrough practice the day before the Patriots beat the Rams 20-17 in the championship.

"In my entire coaching career, I've never seen another team's practice film prior to playing that team," Belichick said in a story posted on the Globe's Web site Sunday night. "I have never authorized, or heard of, or even seen in any way, shape, or form any other team's walkthrough. We don't even film our own."

Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli also told the newspaper that part of the reason Walsh was fired in January 2003 was because he secretly recorded conversations between himself and Pioli.

Michael Levy, Walsh's attorney, said Pioli's account was a "complete fabrication."

"This is a predictable and pathetic effort to smear Mr. Walsh's character rather than confront the truth about the Patriots' conduct," Levy said in the Globe story.

Levy has said his client is willing to turn over videotapes he made for the team if the NFL guarantees Walsh protection from lawsuits or other legal action.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has said he offered Walsh a deal requiring him "to tell the truth and he has to return anything he took improperly" in return for indemnity, but Levy has said the deal doesn't go far enough.

Goodell fined Belichick $500,000, the Patriots $250,000 and took away a first-round draft choice after the Patriots were caught taping New York Jets' coaches in last year's season opener, a 38-14 New England victory.

Belichick said he misinterpreted the rule, which he felt only prohibited taping that could be used during the same game.

He also apologized for the controversy the taping caused.

"I respect the integrity of the game and always have and always will," he said in the Globe story. "I regret that any of this, or to whatever extent, it has in any way brought that into question or discussion or debate. The decision was made by the commissioner, the practice was immediately stopped, and we're not doing it.

"Just going back over the whole taping incident, if I contacted the league and asked them about the practice, I'm sure they would have told me - as they have done - that it is not permissible. Then I could have avoided all of this.

"I take responsibility for it," he said. "Even though I felt there was a gray area...
                                -02-18-2008, 12:13 AM
                              • stlramman
                                No tape of the Rams Walk through?
                                by stlramman
                                The New York Times > Log In

Walsh turned over the tapes to the NFL and apparantly there was no tape of the Rams walk-through in his possesion. Interesting..think maybe part of the deal was to destroy it & say it never existed? I dont know it just seems strange, regardless Mr Comish better come down hard & heavy on Belicheat & the Cheatriots, sounds like some of them were sophisticated in the breaking down of coaches signals,down & distance & then the plays ran immediatly afterword, and one tape is of the AFC Championship.
                                -05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Mad at Pats for Spygate? Let's sue Rams, too
                                by RamWraith
                                By Bernie Miklasz
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                Monday, Feb. 25 2008

Despite the NFL establishment's attempt to play it down and make it go away,
                                the New England Patriots' Spygate scandal is still creating buzz.

When the story broke on Super Bowl weekend, alleging that the Patriots had
                                taped the Rams' final practice before Super Bowl XXXVI, the league began a
                                whisper campaign in an attempt to discredit former Patriots video assistant
                                Matt Walsh.

It's been widely speculated that Walsh was responsible for taping the Rams'
                                walk-through. Walsh has indicated that he'll reveal what he knows as long as he
                                receives full indemnity from the NFL.

Even if Walsh gets protection and dishes all of the dirt on New England coach
                                Bill Belichick, I expect that the NFL will try to portray Walsh as a troubled
                                and untrustworthy individual, seeking revenge to settle an old grudge.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell won't dig too hard. He doesn't want to discover
                                unpleasant truths about the league's competitive integrity.

Moreover, New England's Robert Kraft is one of the NFL's preferred owners, and
                                that counts for something in the arena of league politics. Goodell has already
                                fined the Patriots for their espionage against the NY Jets.

To his horror, Goodell may have to launch a legitimate investigation. He's
                                being dogged by U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, a Republican from Pennsylvania who
                                won't let up.

And the $100 million lawsuit filed by former Rams player Willie Gary against
                                Belichick, Kraft and the Patriots may be nothing more than a nuisance, but if
                                the legal action makes it far enough to force key figures to testify under
                                oath, we're in for some fun.

Were the Rams cheated out of a victory in Super Bowl XXXVI? Sorry, Rams fans,
                                but that's a stretch.

If you buy that one, then we should have filed all kinds of lawsuits in the
                                wake of the Rams' 20-17 loss:

— Let's sue former Rams coach Mike Martz for giving Marshall Faulk only 17
                                rushing attempts, even though the Patriots used five or more defensive backs
                                for 54 of the Rams' 69 plays.

"With all those little secondary guys out there, the Rams could have run the
                                ball, but they didn't," NFL analyst Ron Jaworski said a few days after the
                                game. "Faulk only ran the ball six times in their first 24 plays. In recent
                                games, he was getting the ball 46 percent of the time. When the Patriots went
                                with all those DBs, they should've tried to overpower them."

— Let's sue former Rams right offensive tackle Rod Jones for missing the block
                                on Mike Vrabel, who rocked Rams QB Kurt Warner on a blitz. The whiff resulted
                                in a bad throw and a 47-yard interception...
                                -02-25-2008, 11:26 AM
                              • laram0
                                Former Panthers GM accuses Patriots of Foul play in Superbowl XXXVIII
                                by laram0
                                y Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
                                Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:15 PM ET

The Deflategate controversy is certainly a hot topic right now, and it seems everyone under the sun is giving their opinion about it. One interesting opinion, however, comes from former Panthers general manager Marty Hurney, who was with Carolina when it lost, 32-29, to New England in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Hurney, who is now a radio talk show host in Charlotte and ESPN NFL Insider, has been suspect of the Patriots for a long time.

"There isn't a day that goes by since [then] that I haven't questioned ... that there were some things done that might have been beyond the rules that may have given them a three-point advantage,'' Hurney said during his radio show, per ESPN. "And I can't prove anything, and that's why I'm very angry. And the anger has come back over the last couple of days that commissioner Roger Goodell decided to shred all of the evidence after Spygate because I think there were a lot of things in there that would bring closure to a lot of people.''

In 2007, it was revealed the Patriots were caught illegally taping sideline defensive signals from Jets coaches during the team's season opener. The Spygate controversy led to accusations such activity has been going on since 2000.

"There are people who swear to me that the Patriots taped our practice down in Houston during Super Bowl week," Hurney said. "I can't prove it. I don't know. And I hate talking like this because I feel like a bad loser, but it just gnaws at you and this latest incident brings it back up."
                                -01-23-2015, 10:58 AM
                              • RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                Rams fans, player drop suit vs. Pats
                                by RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Lawyers for a former St. Louis Rams player and three fans plan to withdraw a lawsuit that accuses the New England Patriots of cheating in the 2002 Super Bowl.

In court papers filed Monday, the plaintiffs' attorneys say they sued last month in an attempt to secure sworn testimony from former Patriots employee Matt Walsh, who allegedly taped a walkthrough practice by the Rams before New England's Super Bowl win.

But the lawyers for former Rams player Willie Gary call it an "exercise in futility" because they suspect Walsh would exercise his constitutional right against self-incrimination if he is ordered to submit to a deposition.

On Monday, they asked a federal judge in New Orleans to dismiss the case. The case was filed in New Orleans because the Louisiana Superdome hosted the 2002 Super Bowl, which the Patriots won 20-17.

Eric Deters, one of Gary's attorneys, said they are reserving their right to refile the suit if they learn more about Walsh's alleged role in the Spygate episode.

"We're not giving up on the case," Deters said Monday. "We just want to back off and see what he has to say before we make a move."

On Sunday, the NFL announced that lawyers for Walsh and the league are nearing an agreement that would allow Walsh to be interviewed and turn over information to the NFL.

A lawyer for Walsh told The Associated Press on Sunday that he was hopeful an agreement could be reached that would give his client the "necessary legal protections so (he) can come forward with the truth."

Last season, the NFL fined Patriots coach Bill Belichick $500,000, the team $250,000, and docked the Patriots a first-round draft pick after determining the Patriots illegally taped the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1. Belichick is a named defendant in the lawsuit.

Deters expects U.S. District Judge Ivan L. R. Lemelle to sign off on the dismissal.

"This is a pretty standard thing," Deters said. "It happens a lot in litigation."

The lawsuit accused the Patriots of fraud, unfair trade practices and engaging in a "pattern of racketeering." The plaintiffs wanted the case certified as a class action on behalf of anyone who purchased a Super Bowl ticket or attended the game; all Rams employees on the 2002 team; and any owner of a Rams seat license for the 2001-2002 season.

Gary was signed by the Rams as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2001 and released by the team in September 2002. He has played for the Arena League's Georgia Force since 2003.

Two fans who attended the 2002 Super Bowl and a Rams seat license owner also were plaintiffs in the suit.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James said the suit had no "factual or legal basis."

"Dismissal...
                                -03-11-2008, 05:13 PM
                              Working...
                              X