Opinions on the job of the Refs today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the job of the Refs today

How do you think the refs did in today's games? I think all the games ran very smoothly, except maybe the Raiders game. The Rams and Titans games went better then most. The Titans game had more flags then any other so far, I think. But all of them were right on the money. Typical Titans ball. ;) Looking forward to seeing how this little drama plays out. And also hearing what Jim Rome has to say about the NFL's new offer.

Depends on what game you were watching.

They did fine in the Rams game. Missed some calls, but that was to be expected. Almost a relief not having every little infraction called. And the goalline call was right. If wasn't in our favor, but it was a good call.

Now the Chiefs game is another story. They had a guy tackled, wasn't sure he was down on contact, he got up and kept going. Determined that he was down, but called it a first down. But challenged whether or not he had broke the first down line. On review they first determined that it wasn't a reviewable play. What? Confusion on what was being reviewed. So review again. Ball did not break first down play, but because it was called that it had, they let it stand as a first down. Ugly review, ugly call! Hey, if nothing else, the replacements add entertainment value to the games.

Comment

i think they were fine. The Rams game, they were reluctant to call pass interference, but i would rather have that...LET 'EM PLAY. Keep the new guys until the old ones come down. They're gonna miss calls, but i think the game is better that way - there are too many pansy penalties anyway (i.e. roughing the passer, kicker, etc. - its football for crying out loud).

Grade: B

Old Refs are gonna look like the MLB umps who "resigned." - stupid and unemployed.

Comment

No roughing the refs...

Yes, I agree. I think the replacements are doing well. Considering their fill-in status, B+.

In yesterday's Ram - Eagles game, I do believe the close (and critical) reviewed /overturned call for a Philly TD was, like MsWistRAM said, correct. Besides, regular officials make some mistakes too, it's part of the drama. And yes, it is probably better not to be too particular, too picky about some technicalities that often disrupt or fizzle the game ...although I think Marshall WAS held on a pass play. :p

Dez, wasn't there on ogoing poll on this? It's a good subject to keep track of, I think. Thanks Atlas. :cool:

GO RAMS!!!
        Last edited by RealRam; -09-10-2001, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 01d 0rd3r
          The Refs
          by 01d 0rd3r
          This is not meant to be a cop out, our offense didnt play up to snuff although i dont think they were horrible. Our play calling was beyond bad on some plays, and just what we needed on other plays (the screen to jackson on the final game tying drive).

But seriously the refs are making me sick to my stomach. These BS pass interference calls are getting on my nerves. The holt catch that was clearly out of bounds to anything that has eyes. How can this happen in a leauge were the refs are relied upon to make this game fair? I am begining to think that goodal wants another 0-16 team so he can pressure us into moving to LA.
          -10-18-2009, 04:18 PM
        • Milan
          The Refs
          by Milan
          Are you kidding me?

That was awful officiating. 2 Non-called PIs then right after the first, they call an iffy one on Chavous. The 3rd-down where they gave them pretty much 2 extra yards. The Horse Collar call?

They didn't cost us the game but they did their best to give it away.
          -12-16-2007, 03:35 PM
        • RamWraith
          What about the Refs? -- Gap?
          by RamWraith
          Was it just me or did the Refs look like they were in preseason form Friday night? There was really marginal calls.

--Holts catch
          --The QB hit by Lewis
          --A couple of phantom pass interferences that went against the Skins
          --Hands to the face
          -08-30-2004, 10:31 AM
        • jdpbmo
          reviewing calls from the booth
          by jdpbmo
          Okay, enough is enough. I can usually sit by and hold my piece, but I am so tired of this idiotic process the NFL uses to review calls. It isn't that I'm against the reviewing of questionable calls. I am 100 % for it. I want the call to be right. A noncall or wrong call shouldn't cost a team the game. It all came to a head in the Detroit/GB game when they didn't bother reviewing the touchdown late in the game. How crazy was that? If I was in charge of that part of the game, there would be some people looking for work tomorrow. My main problem with the process is that you are asking officials that make a call, or maybe don't make a call, to reverse their own decision. You are asking them to second-guess themselves or perhaps members of their crew. Now we can sit there and say "well, so what if they have to reverse a call to get it right". Hey, news flash, these officials have egos. They don't want to come out and say "sorry everyone, we just blew that last call". So they look at the replay to satisfy us, then come back and say "indisputable evidence to reverse the call on the field". That's a load of crap. There have been plenty of calls that they show that need to be reversed, but until you get a seperate crew of 2 or 3 people in the booth who do nothing but review a call when it's challenged, you will continue to see this craziness happen. Why wouldn't you have people not associated with the officiating crew reveiwing these calls? If you did, you would find a number of calls overturned when it's obvious they are wrong. You would find calls that are legitimate standing as good calls. People would be satisfied for the most part. Except for the Z E B R A S. They will find they are making a call or two incorrectly in important situations. But you know what else you are doing? You are taking some responsibility from them. What does everyone think? jd
          -11-25-2001, 08:37 PM
        • fearlessone
          LSU got ripped off too!
          by fearlessone
          You think OU got ripped off but LSU had at least three bad calls, one being a missed pass interference in the endzone with two being overturned by the umpire(?), one while the Bayou Bengals were driving late in the game.

A great game but a pitiful performance by the officiating crew that should be sent to the Slack 10 or fired, which is worse? for their punishment.
          -09-19-2006, 07:28 AM
        Working...
        X