• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G Tom Nütten Q and A

G Tom Nütten Q and A
    Friday, August 20, 2004

(On if his return happened quick)
    “Yeah, I would say so. I’m still having a hard time believing that I’m here. I have a long way to go, but I made the commitment. I do believe that it’s doable, and I’m here to help in any way I can.”

(On when the Rams contacted him)
    “Not too long ago. I think it was Wednesday late afternoon. Then it happened very quickly. With my history, they needed to do a couple of medical checkups, which apparently I passed. Then there were a couple of official things that we needed to take care of. I came prepared. If it was going to be a go, I wanted to be ready to stay and here I am. I apologize to the kids who signed up to my football camp. That was the biggest decision I had to make, with the commitment (of his football camp in Germany) I had over there. But this was an opportunity, for me personally, that doesn’t come around too often. Hypothetically, people always ask ‘what would you do if a team calls you and wants you to come out of retirement?’ I always say, ‘I don’t know.’ Knowing that it’s a long shot that a team calls you anyway, especially an old team. If it would have been any other team, it would have been an easy answer, ‘No, no thank you.’ It was a hard decision. The hardest part was overcoming my commitment I had in Europe, but it’s an opportunity I didn’t want to slip away. And again, I apologize to the kids and hopefully I can make it up to them in some way.”

(On how he feels after the year off)
    “It’s been a while since I pushed people around, so not doing that for a while helps the body. I trimmed down a little bit. There was no need for me to stay at (his playing weight), back then fighting weight. I try to stay in shape in a certain way, obviously not football condition. But it will definitely take a couple of day, if not a couple of weeks, to get back into the shape I like to be in. I told the Rams, that my goals are the highest goals set and it will be hard for me to reach those. I have memories of 1999 to 2001 that a level I remember playing at. That is what I would like to get back to. Will I be able to do that? I don’t know. All I know is that I will give 100 percent to get to that point.”

(On if he followed the Rams and if he was aware of the offensive line injuries)
    “Limited. I am somewhat computer literate, enough to get on the internet. I see ESPN and other media, so I was able to keep up. I didn’t really know to what affect (the injuries) were. I didn’t get to see the game against the Bears. I had an idea, and I was crossing my fingers that they were going to find somebody. I didn’t think they were going to call me.”

(On if he wants to gain weight now that he’s back)
    “Yeah, that’s definitely one of my goals. Quick weight gains, strength gain, and conditioning, all of the things that the off season is there for. Obviously, my off season is going to be two-and-a-half weeks long. I will do my best and I told them that. They know me. I’ve been around Rams Park long enough where they know me personally, and they know my commitment means a lot. They know I’m not here to waste their time, nor my time. I’m going to do anything possible to get to that weight, speed, and conditioning.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, August 20, 2004

(On being back in St. Louis)
    “It’s good to be back. We had a spirited workout. The guys were moving around pretty good, so we’re ready to go.”

(On having G Tom Nütten back)
    “Tommy is a ways away from playing, obviously. He’s a little light, but the good news is, when he left here his body was pretty well beat up and he’s been able to recover. He checked out very good medically. When (he’s ready to play) he will. I think that (G Chris) Dishman is doing a real good job, so as when he works himself into better condition we’ll be fine. Obviously he played for us for a lot of years and played at a high level. So having Nütten back in that frame of mind is terrific. ”

(On RB Joey Goodspeed)
    “He has a tight hamstring, so we kept him out a little bit. Same thing (with LB Tony Newson). He has a little bit of hamstring (injury). Anybody that gets a little tight back there, we’re a little gun-shy about that, so we’ll keep them out.”

G Tom Nütten
    Friday, August 20, 2004

(On if his return happened quick)
    “Yeah, I would say so. I’m still having a hard time believing that I’m here. I have a long way to go, but I made the commitment. I do believe that it’s doable, and I’m here to help in any way I can.”

(On when the Rams contacted him)
    “Not too long ago. I think it was Wednesday late afternoon. Then it happened very quickly. With my history, they needed to do a couple of medical checkups, which apparently I passed. Then there were a couple of official things that we needed to take care of. I came prepared. If it was going to be a go, I wanted to be ready to stay and here I am. I apologize to the kids who signed up to my football camp. That was the biggest decision I had to make, with the commitment (of his football camp in Germany) I had over there. But this was an opportunity, for me personally, that doesn’t come around too often. Hypothetically, people always ask ‘what would you do if a team calls you and wants you to come out of retirement?’ I always say, ‘I don’t know.’ Knowing that it’s a long shot that a team calls you anyway, especially an old team. If it would have been any other team, it would have been an easy answer, ‘No, no thank you.’ It was a hard decision. The hardest part was overcoming my commitment I had in Europe, but it’s an opportunity I didn’t want to slip away. And again, I apologize to the kids and hopefully I can make it up to them in some way.”

(On how he feels after the year off)
    “It’s been a while since I pushed people around, so not doing that for a while helps the body. I trimmed down a little bit. There was no need for me to stay at (his playing weight), back then fighting weight. I try to stay in shape in a certain way, obviously not football condition. But it will definitely take...
    -08-21-2004, 12:18 AM
  • RamWraith
    Training Camp Quotes
    by RamWraith
    Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Marc Bulger

(On his arm)
    “It’s just a little bit sore. It’s not bad. I was just getting ready to get rid of the ball, so my arm was coming forward and my arm was held back by an arm or a pad. I just tweaked it a little bit. (It scared me) for about two seconds. You pretty much know when you are hurt and I realized I wasn’t. We did precautionary treatment on it, because sometimes the next day it will hurt. It’s a little sorer than it was yesterday, but it is nothing serious.”

(On if his sore arm affected his throwing in the morning session)
    “I don’t think so. You deal with sore arms all of the time, and different body parts that are sore. So I don’t think it affected it.”

(On how he feels he has been throwing the ball)
    “I’ve thrown the ball farely well. It’s real important in our offense to put the ball where you want every time to let the guys run. So obviously you will not do that every practice, but if you can do it more often than not then you are doing well.”

(On if the offense still needs work)
    “Yeah (the offense still needs work). I think some of the young guys think we have a lot in now, and they haven’t seen anything yet. It’s only going to get a lot more complicated and a lot more complex. I think the older guys are up to speed, but I think from here on out we’ll be tearing it up a little.”

(On practicing with RB Marshall Faulk)
    “I think the first couple weeks he did limited reps, but he has been in there every day now. It’s fun to have him back there. He just knows what he’s doing. It’s like having another quarterback out there. He can help everyone on the field.”

DE Anthony Hargrove

(On finding out about the hurricane in his hometown)
    “The Weather Channel told me they were going to be alright and just get light rain, and at the last minute it turned into a category four, and hit Southwest Florida. My brother and everybody called me and told me. I actually talked to my brother during the hurricane, just hearing them screaming, and hearing my family in the background going hysterical over it, it was crazy. I left the day after the hurricane and was there.”

(On losing contact with his family during the storm)
    “I lost contact with my family, I didn’t know what happened. A part of our roof came off, and the next thing I lost connection with my brother. I was trying to call him all day, and get back with him, but the power was down. I couldn’t get a hold of my son and his mom, and nobody could find them, so that was another worry of mine. I realized I had to get back and try to find them.”

(On how hard it was to find his family)
    “Once I got to Florida, my brother called me and told me where he was. I couldn’t get a hold of my parents, but luckily, they went back to the house, and we met with them...
    -08-18-2004, 05:30 AM
  • general counsel
    Sam Shields article in The Players Tribune
    by general counsel
    Someone please find the article by Sam Shields today in The Players Tribune online and post it to this site. It is one of the most inspirational, emotional and moving articles i have ever read. Shields describes his battles with concussions and his road back to the NFL in a way that is extremely moving and real. I am now a GINORMOUS Sam Shields fan.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    -10-26-2018, 02:37 PM
  • Bruce=GOAT
    Hulk Hogan: I thank God I'm alive
    by Bruce=GOAT
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...351002,00.html

WWE wrestling news – The LilsBoys' Over The Top Rope

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
    Hogan: I thank God I'm alive

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN of THE LILSBOYS
    August 04, 2007

WRESTLING legend Hulk Hogan has lashed out at the industry which made him a megastar.

And he has demanded an end to the decades-long cover-up of steroid abuse in the sport.

Hogan, 54, took the muscle-enhancing drugs almost daily for 16 years during his career and says he can spot a user a mile off.

With more than 100 grapplers dying before the age of 50 in the last decade, he is begging others to face up to the crisis.

The Sun has been leading an anti-steroid abuse campaign since wrestler Chris Benoit murdered his wife and seven-year-old son before committing suicide in June.

A handful of former stars have already spoken out and prompted US politicians to start investigating the industry.

But many in the WWE, the world's biggest fight franchise, deny there is a problem and have blasted their ex-colleagues as bitter failures who haven't wrestled in years.

They cannot same the same about Hogan, wrestling's equivalent of Pele or Muhammad Ali who was fighting for them just 12 months ago.

In an exclusive Sun interview, he said: "Are steroids a problem in wrestling? Oh God yeah. They have always been a part of the business. It's prevalent.

"But there's not some big mystery to it. Just open your eyes and it's there. You can look at a wrestler and pretty much tell.

"They will be above their weight range, with these big veins. My body weight is around 285lb, depending on how much junk I eat. Even if I was 25 and clean, I could probably only carry 300lb.

"Yet when I was wrestling I weighed anywhere between 320 and 340lb, because my body was full of water weight.

"My face was puffy, my arms were so bulky I couldn't touch my shoulders. You could take one look at me and know I was on something.

"Steroids have been around for ever in other sports too, but if we have to pick on somebody now then let's pick on wrestling.

"I'm glad the business is in the spotlight because they're probably the only ones smart enough, after being able to dodge it for so long, to know how to fix it."

The Hulkster added: "I remember up until the early 1990s any wrestler could walk into a doctor and they'd write you a prescription for steroids.

"Then there was a huge trial where WWE boss Vince McMahon was unfairly accused and rightly acquitted of distributing the drugs to his workers.

"This ushered in the era of wrestlers playing 'hide and seek'.
    -08-05-2007, 03:28 AM
  • RamDez
    Keane: This is where I belong
    by RamDez
    “I FEEL this is where I belong.” With these words, Roy Keane announced his arrival at Celtic Park in a transfer that is the most high-profile the club has ever been involved in.
    Certainly the impact it has made stretches way beyond the confines of Scotland and it only serves to further increase the stature of the club throughout the football world.
    The Irishman has signed an initial 18-month contract, keeping him at the club until June 2007. And as news quickly spread of the signing coup, Celtic supporters began to gather outside the front entrance of the stadium in their hundreds.
    Facing a packed media today as he was officially unveiled, Keane himself looked calm and confident and spoke with a quiet assurance that the decision to sign for Celtic is the right one for him.
    “It’s a great move for me,” the Irish internationalist said. “It was important that I took my time over the past three or four weeks but now that everything’s done it’s a good day for me. It’s been a strange few weeks since leaving United but it’s a great move for me and I’m really looking forward to the challenge.
    “It was important I took my time and made the right decision and walking round the club today I felt really comfortable. I’ve met one or two of the players and I feel this is where I belong. It’s been documented over the years that I’ve been up to Celtic Park for a few games and I’ve always enjoyed coming up and watching them. They’re seeking to improve and win titles, and that’s what I’m in the game for. I’ve not come up here on a PR trip or an ego trip or to unwind, far from it.
    “I’m here to win football matches and help the squad. I’m very much a team player, despite the reports. I want the team to do well and that’s what I’ve come up here for and that’s what I’ve come up here for, to help the club move onto the next level and win trophies.
    “That’s what I’m in the game for. I’m not necessarily in the game to be popular. I like training hard, I like playing hard. I like pushing myself. I like pushing the people I work with hard. In the modern day there seems to be a problem with that but that’s what I enjoy doing.
    “A team like Celtic, which is challenging for trophies, needs a big squad and I’m well aware that the players who are at Celtic have done very well. I’m under no illusions that I’m going to come up here and walk straight into the team. I’ve never done that in my career. I’ve never taken my position for granted so what I’m looking to do over the next couple of weeks is to train hard and give the manager a problem.
    “But I think when I was at my previous club, when we bought midfielders I saw that as a challenge and hopefully the players here will see that as a challenge. If you want to be successful you need a big squad and everyone’s going to be vying for eleven positions and I’m no different from that.
    “Over the next couple of weeks my priority is to try and get a bit of sharpness and getting to...
    -12-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Working...
X