X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams | Team offers Faneca a contract

Rams | Team offers Faneca a contract
    Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:38:57 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the St. Louis Rams have offered a contract to unrestricted free-agent OG Alan Faneca (Steelers). Faneca is expected to make a decision Sunday, March 2.

Re: Rams | Team offers Faneca a contract

What else is new? We were too late...

The New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have tentatively agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend, when the deal will be finalized. The Jets plan to play Faneca at left guard.

Faneca

The departure of Faneca, a former LSU standout who had spent his entire 10-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, isn't much of a surprise. Although he was an unrestricted free agent, the seven-time Pro Bowler was clearly irked with the team heading into last season for its refusal to trade him or give him a contract extension he felt he was worth.

Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery, Leonard Davis and Kris Dielman all signed new contracts last spring, either as free agents with new teams or extensions with their incumbent franchises, and all received deals worth about $7 million per year. Only Dielman, who was a Pro Bowl alternate last season, has ever appeared in a Pro Bowl game.

Faneca said last spring that the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. He made $4.375 million last season in the final year of a $25.6 million deal he signed in 2002, but that deal was renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

He said last spring he would like to be traded but was resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for a final season. He skipped the Steelers' organized team activities practices in May, but did show up on time for the team's training camp.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism was virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished -- only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca was worried that, if he sustained a career-ending injury, he would have no contract protection beyond 2007.

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

In New York, Faneca will join a talented offensive line that includes left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold as the Jets try to boost an offense that ranked 26th in the NFL last year in yards per game (294.7) and 19th in rushing yards per game (106.3).

Information from ESPN's Michael Smith and The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

I've heard he's probably about to be a Jet, but Im glade to know we are trying, and we know we need some O-Linemen. Also, where do you get this news? I know it says "Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, but did you get this from another site or what. I like to get caught up on my news too.

Comment

Bummer! That would have been a good signing for the Rams.

Comment

typical. scott linehan is probably hung over which is why we are in no hurry to do anything

Comment

Originally posted by chipperjones View Post
            I've heard he's probably about to be a Jet, but Im glade to know we are trying, and we know we need some O-Linemen. Also, where do you get this news? I know it says "Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, but did you get this from another site or what. I like to get caught up on my news too.
            Try rotoworld.com or kffl.com ... good sites for info regarding FA.

Comment

He's already a jet...

Jets signed Alan Faneca to a four-year, $32 million contract. The deal includes $23 million in guarantees.

Comment

Originally posted by chipperjones View Post
                KFFL - St. Louis Rams News and Notes

and it's not finalized with the Jets yet, so anything could still happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Varg6 View Post
                  What else is new? We were too late...

The New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have tentatively agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend, when the deal will be finalized. The Jets plan to play Faneca at left guard.

Faneca

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

AWWWWW! Poor baby! Gee I guess playing a kids game and making over $4 million is just insulting and not a very secure feeling. Chriminy. He'll make more money in one year than I'll make in two lifetimes. This kind of drivel out of athlete's mouths make me sick. Glad we missed out on mister insecure.
                  "People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest" Herman Hesse

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Faneca isn't a Jet yet

Just called Faneca's agent about the report on ESPN that the Pro Bowl guard has "tentatively agreed" to a deal with the Jets. Here's how the conversation went.
                      Me: "Hi Rick. Tom Rock from Newsday."
                      Rick Smith: "False report. It's a false report."
                      Didn't even get to ask my question. How did he know I wasn't calling to ask if he'd seen that crazy Michigan women's hoops coach.
                      Anyway, Smith says we're still on the same timeline as we were earlier today with a decision porbably coming Saturday evening. That doesn't mean the report won't turn out to be true. It just means that it's not totally true yet.

Comment

there is still hope we will get him!

Comment

Hope you're right beast.
                          Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.

"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. It appears Faneca is still weighing offers. He could easily wind up with the Jets, but there's no deal yet.
                            Source: Newsday

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
                              Steelers reach terms with Roethlisberger on six-year deal
                              by DJRamFan
                              Aug. 3, 2004
                              SportsLine.com wire reports

LATROBE, Pa. -- No Pittsburgh Steelers rookie has ever made as much money as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He didn't take long to start earning it.

Advertisement

Roethlisberger, the 11th pick in the draft, signed a six-year contract Tuesday that could be worth as much as $40 million.

The contract includes $22,269,500 worth of salaries and various bonuses and $17,730,500 in incentives -- including $4,875,000 in playing time bonuses easily reachable for a starting quarterback.

The deal, reached following lengthy talks that began early Monday and extended into Tuesday morning, includes a Steelers record $9,009,000 in bonuses: $600,000 (signing bonus, payable immediately), $1,172,000 (roster bonus, payable by Aug. 10) and $7,237,000 (option bonus, payable March 5).

Three hours after arriving at camp, Roethlisberger attended a quarterbacks meeting. He will be on the field for two practices Wednesday, one at a high school before a crowd that could reach 10,000.

"I'm excited, nervous, all the same feelings I had at minicamp," he said. "Once I get out and throw the first couple of passes, it will be a relief and I'm sure it will come back to me."

Ben Roethlisberger signs an incentive-laden six-year contract with the Steelers.(Getty Images)
                              Roethlisberger was the third quarterback drafted in April, behind the Giants' Eli Manning and the Chargers' Philip Rivers, but Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, predicted he will be the best.

"This is a franchise quarterback," Steinberg said. "I think he's a Troy Aikman, John Elway type of quarterback. He's that good."

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Roethlisberger completed 854 of 1,304 passes for 10,829 yards at Miami of the Mid-American Conference, with 84 touchdown passes and 34 interceptions.

The negotiations finally progressed when the Steelers agreed to pay Roethlisberger a larger bonus than the $8 million Houston gave cornerback Dunta Robinson, who was drafted No. 10 overall, one spot ahead of Roethlisberger.

To get a larger bonus, Roethlisberger agreed to play this season for the minimum salary of $230,000. Previously, the Steelers' largest bonus was $8.1 million to former starting quarterback Kordell Stewart in 1999.

"We felt that quarterbacks deserve a premium, and the Steelers ultimately agreed," said Steinberg, who flew to Pittsburgh on Sunday night to get the talks moving with Steelers negotiator Omar Khan and team president Art Rooney II. "A potential franchise quarterback always is a special sort of player to deal with."

Roethlisberger's base salaries will be $230,000 (2004), $305,000 (2005), $655,000 (2006), $1,026,000 (2007), $1,356,000...
                              -08-04-2004, 12:30 PM
                            • Nick
                              At 35, Andrew Whitworth sought security that Rams offered
                              by Nick
                              At 35, Andrew Whitworth sought security that Rams offered
                              6:41 PM ET
                              Katherine Terrell
                              ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- The departure of Cincinnati Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth essentially came down to long-term security, according to his agent Pat Dye.

Whitworth agreed to a three-year deal Thursday with the Los Angeles Rams. The deal is worth $36 million with $15 million guaranteed.

The Bengals' best offer was a one-year deal worth $10 million, Dye said, refuting reports that the Bengals were willing to go as high as $11-12 million. The possibility of a second year was not on the table.

Whitworth will make $7.5 million in base salary in Year 1 with a $5 million signing bonus up front, essentially giving him almost $13 million in salary in 2017. He has the opportunity to make up to $24.5 million over the first two years of the deal.

What interested Whitworth the most was the stability of a longer deal in what could be his last contract. At 35, Whitworth is the oldest left tackle in the league.

The Rams were willing to guarantee $2.5 million in the second year of his contract, giving him a much better chance of being on the team by then. By guaranteeing a portion of his 2018 salary, the Rams would have to absorb several million if they released him after only one year, including the prorated portion of his signing bonus, which would immediately accelerate into that year's cap.

That would mean around $5.8 million in dead money for the Rams if Whitworth is cut in 2018, which is a significant investment.

It was clear there was no such job security with the Bengals, who drafted two tackles in the first two rounds of the 2015 draft in preparation for Whitworth's departure. The Bengals have preferred to go year-to-year on Whitworth's contract due to his age. His last contract extension was a one-year deal signed in 2015 worth $9 million.

The Bengals will now move on with Cedric Ogbuehi at left tackle. The Bengals will lose a team captain who was second only to Andy Dalton in the amount of offensive snaps taken since 2012.

The Rams were interested in obtaining Whitworth for not only his play on the field, but for his off-the-field impact as well, seeing him as a mentor to their young offensive linemen.

"They really made him feel wanted," Dye said.

Dye said it was a difficult decision for Whitworth, who has been in Cincinnati since they selected him in the second round of the 2006 draft and has raised his family there. If the contract terms had been close to what other terms offered, Whitworth would have accepted Cincinnati's deal. However, the Rams' offer was significantly more competitive.

"Andrew loves it there, loves the Bengals organization, he loves [coach Marvin Lewis], the fans, the city," Dye said. "If this thing had been equal or...
                              -03-09-2017, 04:50 PM
                            • Nick
                              Jets sign QB Pennington to extension
                              by Nick
                              NEW YORK - Just beating the deadline set by their quarterback, the New York Jets have made Chad Pennington the highest-paid player in franchise history.

The Jets announced Wednesday that they have finalized a contract extension with Pennington on a deal reported to be worth $23 million in guaranteed money over seven years. Incentives and bonuses could push the value of the pact to $64 million.

"I understand the hard work that the entire Jets' organization and my agency have put into the contract," Pennington said. "It has been a total team effort and I appreciate the patience on both sides."

Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, and Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum spent the last week working out the deal.

"I am extremely excited about being a Jet for a long time," Pennington said. "Most importantly, I am looking forward to leading our organization to the ultimate prize, a Super Bowl Championship."

Pennington, who was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2004 season, had set a September 1 deadline for a new contract.

The New York Giants recently gave quarterback Eli Manning, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2004 draft, a six-year contract worth $45 million, with another $9 million in incentives.

The Jets surpassed that for Pennington, who took over as the team's starter during the 2002 season and led the NFL with a quarterback rating of 104.2, completing 69 percent of his passes for 3,120 yards and 22 touchdowns with six interceptions.

Last August, Pennington broke his left wrist in a preseason game and missed the first six games of the regular season. He completed 189-of-297 passes for 2,139 yards and 13 touchdowns with 12 interceptions.

A first-round pick in 2000, Pennington played in just three games as a backup in his first two seasons.

"Chad has all the characteristics of a true role model," New York head coach Herm Edwards said. "He has a great command and presence on the football field and is a team leader. Jets' fans need to know one thing about Chad Pennington; he'll do whatever it takes to lead this team to a championship."
                              -09-02-2004, 10:58 PM
                            • Nick
                              Pasquarelli discusses Delhomme's new contract, among other things
                              by Nick
                              Delhomme's Pact Could Affect Couch, Warner
                              By Len Pasquarelli
                              ESPN.com

It is called lagniappe, an old Cajun word that roughly translates into "a little bit extra," and a term with which Carolina Panthers quarterback and dyed-in-the-gumbo Louisiana native Jake Delhomme was familiar, long before he agreed Thursday morning to his pricey new five-year contract extension.

Rewarding their emerging star with a contract that reportedly could be worth as much as $38 million, a deal criticized in some NFL precincts because there remains a core group of skeptics anxious to see if Delhomme was just a one-year wonder, certainly represented a heaping helping of lagniappe ladled out by Panthers management. No matter where one sides in the debate, though, the contract inarguably was aimed at providing security for both parties to the extension.

Good news, Carolina management hopes, for a franchise now suddenly resurrected and seeking to sustain newfound success and to create stability. And absolutely great news for an itinerant quarterback whose league resume included just two regular-season starts before 2003.

But bad news -- very bad news, in fact, it says here -- for signal-callers such as Tim Couch, Kurt Warner and Kordell Stewart. How do we draw a correlation between Delhomme's contract and the fortunes of those veteran quarterbacks?

Because players like Couch have recently been forced into a kind of wait-until-next-year mindset, one in which they sign short-term deals in the hopes of finding a far more appealing employment market next March, when they will be free agents and perhaps have a chance to pursue a starting job. And contracts like the one Delhomme signed, in the big picture, mean there aren't going to be as many vacant starting spots in the NFL as some observers suggest there might be.

It is, to be sure, one of the NFL's most notable dichotomies. Everyone focuses closely on the movement of quarterbacks in the league every spring, and this year was no different, as 19 quarterbacks had switched franchises at last count. But in a league where the best-kept secret appears to be the number of teams that have cemented their starters in place over the last few years, many of them with deals of astonishing length, few quarterbacks who changed addresses actually upgraded their status.

Here's a fact-and-fiction proposition: It's a fact that the 32 quarterbacks projected to be starters in 2004 have an average of 4.4 more seasons remaining on their current contracts, meaning they are locked in through 2007. So it is fiction to assume that a slew of No. 1 spots will become available next spring, or even the offseason after that.

The late-blooming Delhomme is the latest beneficiary of a trend in which teams have sought to reverse the quarterback carousel and put a stop to the calliope tune that annually accompanies...
                              -06-18-2004, 02:40 PM
                            • DJRamFan
                              Twins agree to four-year, $40M deal with Santana
                              by DJRamFan
                              Feb. 14, 2005
                              By Scott Miller
                              SportsLine.com Senior Writer
                              Tell Scott your opinion!

The Minnesota Twins not only avoided an arbitration hearing with Cy Young winner Johan Santana, they locked him into their rotation long-term by agreeing to a four-year deal worth in the neighborhood of $40 million, sources told SportsLine.com on Monday.

Advertisement

The agreement, contingent on Santana passing a physical examination, further solidifies a Minnesota pitching staff that led the American League in ERA last season. Santana, who emerged as the staff ace, went 20-6 with a 2.61 ERA. By signing Brad Radke to a two-year deal earlier this winter, the Twins now will have their top two starters, Santana and Radke, together for at least two more seasons.

While Radke pitched as well in 2004 as he had in any of his previous seasons, manager Ron Gardenhire said, the veteran right-hander still pitched in Santana's shadow. That was difficult to avoid: Santana went 13-0 with a 1.21 ERA in 15 post-All-Star break starts. During one point in the run, Santana strung together 36 1/3 scoreless innings.

Johan Santana went 13-0 after the All-Star break last year. (Getty Images)
                              Consequently, Santana collected a unanimous 28 first-place votes in the Cy Young balloting.

All this and Santana, 26, will enter only his second full season in a major-league rotation. If there is any downside to his game, it is that he has a tendency at times to nibble around the strike zone. He averaged about 6 2/3 innings per start in 2004 and threw only one complete game. Gardenhire would like to seem him pitch deeper in games in '05.

"One thing I want to prove is that this is not just something that happened, this isn't lucky," Santana said in November on a conference call with reporters after becoming the first native Venezuelan to win a Cy Young award. "I have to be consistent from now on. We have to prove why we won the award.

"Next season, we have to make sure to keep the Minnesota Twins winning the division title, and going to the World Series. In order for that to happen, we have to perform better than we did this year."

Santana, who would have been eligible for free agency after the 2006 season, had asked for a raise from $1.6 million to $6.8 million and had been offered $5 million by the Twins.

In agreeing to terms, Santana and the Twins avoided a salary arbitration hearing that was scheduled for Tuesday.
                              -02-14-2005, 12:00 PM
                            Working...
                            X