Martz after the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz after the game

Says he didn't have the team ready to play. He didn't do a good enough job and that won't happen again. Things in the second half he was pleased about. Learn from this game and move on. Weren't ready to play at that high a level and the guys got shook up.

They were physical but that's the game. Shouldn't be an excuse.

Martz says they have vet leaders but it's up to the staff and Coach Martz himself to get everyone ready. He has to have a different approach because he just hasn't gotten them ready. Out of synch on both sides of the ball, but exhibition games allow you to reload and learn where you are.

Fisher has a broken arm and is probably gone for the year.

Re: Martz after the game

Nick, was the news on fisher a quote from martz, something you heard elsewhere, or your speculation. This is the kind of thing, coupled with turley, wohlabaugh and kennedy, that is a terrible, terrible omen.

general counsel

Comment

Martz saying Fisher will likely miss the year with a broken arm was a direct quote from him at the end of his post-game on KLOU.

Comment

Thanks nick, i appreciate the news and since i hate when people do it to me, i wont shoot the messanger.

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
          Says he didn't have the team ready to play. He didn't do a good enough job and that won't happen again.

Martz says they have vet leaders but it's up to the staff and Coach Martz himself to get everyone ready. He has to have a different approach because he just hasn't gotten them ready.
          When the Rams got blown out in the 1st half against SF last year sMartz "accepted blame." But did his actions show his contrition? Oh yeah. Really had the team well prepared to secure home-field advantage against Detroit.

He better be careful in so "magnanimously" taking responsibility for his team's failures because I suspect this is the last year people will believe he "can fix it."

Comment

Originally posted by adarian_too
            He better be careful in so "magnanimously" taking responsibility for his team's failures because I suspect this is the last year people will believe he "can fix it."
            I suppose then it's good that we have a quarterback who thinks that "as players, we all know it's our job to go out there and play well, and if we'd executed the game plan the way we should have, there's no reason why we couldn't have won. It's definitely on the players; I don't think it's on the head coach."

Even though Martz claims to be taking responsibility for the loss -- and I think in terms of preparation and overall view of what this game was going to be, he has to take some blame for the lack of focus and intensity on this game (then again, who would have expected the Chiefs to play as if this was a playoff game?) -- it's good that at least one guy recognizes it's not all on his shoulders. Hopefully the rest of the team share that opinion and don't completely buy into Martz being the fall man.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
              "It's definitely on the players; I don't think it's on the head coach." (Bulger)

Hopefully the rest of the team share that opinion and don't completely buy into Martz being the fall man.
              They both go hand in hand. System and personnel. Execution and motivation. Everyone should take responsiblity for the part they played or didn't.

Which means to me, coaches, FO, and players be held accountable. A lack of success this year suggests its time for a complete overhaul ...

Comment

Originally posted by adarian_too
                A lack of success this year suggests its time for a complete overhaul ...
                Why!? We won the division last year and nearly beat the eventual NFC champions. You make it sound like we went 7-9.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• eldfan
                  Let's hope Martz proves us wrong with his madness
                  by eldfan
                  Let's hope Martz proves us wrong with his madness
                  By Bryan Burwell
                  Of the Post-Dispatch
                  09/27/2004

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell

If most of the football world already thought Mike Martz was a maddeningly stubborn football eccentric more than willing to bite off his nose to spite his face, wait until they get a load of him now.

At his Monday afternoon news conference at Rams Park, the Rams head coach fiercely defended his swashbuckling way of football life as if ... well, as if his life depended on it, which in a way it probably does. He is coaching an obviously flawed football team with a 1-2 record and a defense that is springing more leaks than the Titanic. But as Martz relies on his signature aggressive offensive methods for rescuing this young but very shaky season, he knows he's being confronted with outside resistance.

He is surrounded by a world full of conventional football thinkers who want to fit this aggressive, damn-the-torpedoes square peg into a very conservative round hole. We want him to play it by the old-school book. If the defense can't stop anyone - and after three weeks of play, there is faint evidence that this bloodied and battered group can - then why not go with a clock-gobbling, smash-mouth style of offense that relies on Marshall Faulk's fleet feet and Steven Jackson's brutish blasts?

In essence, what we want is for Martz to stay inside the lines, which of course is just about the most repugnant thing you can say to a guy with his aggressive offensive temperament. Why not just ask dogs to start living with cats?

"Look ... look ... don't ... uhhh," he said, practically spitting out the words like they were a bad piece of meat. "You need to find another coach, then. We're going to play fast and furious, that's what we do. We're going to run it when we ... want to run it, not because somebody (uh, that would be you and me) feels like you have to be balanced."

He smiled almost defiantly when he said that. And just in case you didn't understand it the first time, Martz put this exclamation point on his soliloquy:

"That's the way it is. Get used to it. That's the way it is."

Now here's what I learned from this rather revealing State of the Rams address: Mike Martz doesn't particularly care what the outside world thinks he should do. He has a plan, and he's going to stick with it. It may not be the plan you want, but it's the plan you're going to get. And here's something else gleaned from Martz's feisty words: He will get every opportunity over the next 13 weeks to either sink or swim with his convictions.

I don't presume to know more about football than Martz. His credentials as an offensive innovator and a football motivator are certified by his impressive NFL head-coaching won-loss record, a trip to the Super Bowl, and...
                  -09-28-2004, 05:41 AM
                • AvengerRam_old
                  3 Things Martz is Unjustly Criticized For
                  by AvengerRam_old
                  Before I get to the list... a disclaimer. I am NOT trying to argue that Martz is flawless or even that he is a "great" coach. Frankly, I go back and forth on my support of Martz as much as anyone else. That said, I think that there are a few things that fans and the media criticize Martz for unjustly, and here are the top 3:

1. "Martz can't draft": There are two reasons why this criticism is unfair. First, Martz is hardly solely responsible for the Rams selections. While he clearly has had a couple of "pet" picks that have not worked out (Canidate, Crouch), it is also likely that some of the picks that missed were favorites of Armey and, possibly, Lovie Smith. Second, the Rams have made some real quality picks under Martz, including real "finds" like Jeremetrius Butler, Travis Fisher, Anthony Hargrove and even a guy like Chris Massey. Is Martz a draft "genius"? No. Is he totally inept? Again, no.

2. "Martz needlessly burns timeouts and challenges": I've heard this one so many times, particularly from the morons on ESPN. But ask yourself this question: how many times have the Rams scored on drives when Martz slowed things down with a timeout or a challenge, as compared to the number of times the Rams were truly burned by the lack of timeouts or challenges at the end of a half or game. Frankly, I can only think of one example of the latter - when the Rams would have benefitted against Tampa had they saved a challenge. Just because something is unorthodox, doesn't mean its wrong.

3. "Martz is going to play a QB at WR...": A lot of teams change the positions of players. While converting a QB to another position is unusual, it has worked. Look at Antuan Randel-El (who the Rams were high on, but missed out on taking, when they took Eric Crouch). Heck, Nolan Cromwell was a converted QB.

So, if you want to say Martz sometimes abandons the run... I'm with you (though, interestingly, he does so no more than they do in Indianapolis, and you never hear anyone calling their coaches "Mad"). If you want to say that he sometimes says too much publicly when he should just pull a Bill Parcells "no comment," no argument there.

But some of the stereotypical Martz-bashing themes are simply not warranted.
                  -03-28-2005, 09:37 AM
                  Its Time for Martz apologists to stand behind their man
                  by Guest
                  Why I believe heís starting to get it.

All of you that have stood behind Coach Martz during his underacheivment days take a look at what he is finally understanding, what would have propeled the rams to more world championships had he taken this stuff seriously during the years when we had more talent then any one team should be allowed.

Don't get me wrong either because I am behind this guy and what he has been saying.

After Seattle game:

I have been saying this all year!:

Some of you chastise Mart when he gets on the Players however that is expected of a Head Coach when building motivation. Motivation does not start with pats on the butts.

Let them know when they screw up. Yes publicly is ok if that is what it takes! Who gives a rats a$$ if someone doesnít like it!

Nothing wrong with telling it like it is even if the liberal masses donít like it!

Weather or not he can fix it; I donít know however he sure as hell finally is seeing it!

Sending the message loud and clear:

Win or lose your going to see a different attitude Monday night. Sorry Packers.

And that is why I BELIEVE!...
                  -11-27-2004, 12:09 AM
                • AvengerRam_old
                  Martz: "I'm not quitting."
                  by AvengerRam_old
                  Martz: I'm not quitting

R.B. FALLSTROM

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - As bleak as the situation looks, there's no giving up for St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz.

Martz, whose fifth season with the team has been a semi-disaster, on Monday had a strong rebuttal to an ESPN report that he might consider quitting. The Rams were among the preseason Super Bowl favorites after going 12-4 last year but are 6-8 heading into the final two games.

"I would never resign from this job," Martz said. "I love this job and I would never leave these guys. We've got a real solid crew of young players and it's going to eventually be a terrific team, and I'm not going to ever walk away from something like that."

Martz has two years left on a contract that pays him $3.5 million annually, and he noted that he's financially secure.

"I coach because I want to coach, and I love being here," Martz said. "That hasn't changed. We're going to forge on and get this thing back up and running the way it should be.

"I'm one of those guys where that glass is always half-full and not empty. Sometimes it's hard to look at it like that but no, no, this guy's not going anywhere. No way, Jose."

Martz is 51-32, counting the playoffs, since leading the Rams to their first Super Bowl championship as Dick Vermeil's offensive coordinator in 1999 and led the Rams to a 14-2 record and his own Super Bowl in 2002. This year has unraveled due to big problems early on with shaky defense and special teams, and lately with what used to be a high-powered offense.

But this is where he wants to stay. Martz noted that earlier in the season he shot down speculation he'd be interested in the Dolphins vacancy.

"This is where I want to retire," Martz said. "I have no interest in ever coaching for any other NFL team. We love living here, we love the organization."

Martz hopes the return of quarterback Marc Bulger after missing two weeks with a bruised right shoulder can reinvigorate an offense that produced one touchdown while he was out. Bulger threw again on Monday with minimal problems.

"He's ready to go," Martz said. "He's got very little effect on the followthrough, which is really the biggest concern."

Backup Chris Chandler, 39, has been a major disappointment and might get released. He threw six interceptions last week in a loss at Carolina, then got yanked after going 1-for-6 for 1 yard and producing zero first downs in the first quarter of Sunday's 31-7 loss at Arizona.

Jamie Martin, signed on Dec. 7 after being out of the NFL for more than a year, is the likely backup this week after playing the last three quarters on Sunday.

"I believe in him," Martz said. "He's...
                  -12-20-2004, 03:48 PM
                  You Want to give Martz credit?
                  by Guest
                  From the start of this season any win the Rams get should be credited to Martz. No more does he have superior talent over the rest of the league. That said, if he gets this thing into the playoffs after all that has happened this year and everything he has had to overcome then he should get the credit for it without argument. It shows he can get it done on an even playing field. I hope like hell we are heaping acolades on Martz after tomorrow. I think this will be the case, I really do.
                  -01-01-2005, 09:10 PM
                Working...
                X