Some Bernie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Bernie

Bulger, unlike Warner, was able to transcend some of the negatives the last couple of years in STL by winning 18 of 22 reg-season starts.

This year, I'm sorry to say, the negatives appear to be reaching crisis proportions. When you have no offensive line, and a defense that gets shoved around and has no DT capable of making an impact play, then you have a team in trouble. When you have one NFL-caliber CB on the active roster (Butler) that's a team in trouble.

That said, Bulger was terrible last night. He was part of the problem. And as I have said repeatedly, he should be judged on his own merits -- how he plays. He shouldn't be compared to Warner of 1999-2001, because Warner himself ain't anywhere near that these days.

What's comical about some of these posts is that the Bulger is Satan/Warner is God crowd convenienty seem to forget that last week that Ol' No. 13 was sacked four times (at least twice because he held onto the ball too long) and threw as bad an INT as you'll see. If Warner had to play with the STL team we saw last night....oh gosh. I hate to even think about it.

Cheers,
    Bernie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Turley

Turley sends mixed signals.
    He pops off to his friends and says he's done for the year.
    He tells the Rams he needs more time, and they're encouraging him to take it.

Who knows?

Cheers,
    Bernie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Polley

Carolina directed their running game at him.

They game-planned him specifically.

216 yards rushing, 5.3 yards per carry.

I had a chance to review the coaching tapes and it was unreal. I don't know that I've ever seen a LB play worse than that.

I have no idea why this guy is going south. He'd better pick it up.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Re: Some Bernie

If Warner had to play with the STL team we saw last night....oh gosh.
    He did play with them, last year in the Giant's game....moron!

Cheers,
    Yodude
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude
      He did play with them, last year in the Giant's game....moron!
      Wow, where was my memory? I completely forgot that Grant Williams, Chris Dishman, and Scott Tercero were playing in Week One last year. :redface:

Comment

Different line....same results. No run blocker or pass protection. Is there a record for how many blitzes a team encounters during the course of a season ?? I bet we push that mark never to be broken this year unless something is done.

Maineram :ramlogo:

Comment

Wow, where was my memory? I completely forgot that Grant Williams, Chris Dishman, and Scott Tercero were playing in Week One last year.
          C'mon...do I really need to point out that I was referring to the general performance of the line (and team for that matter), not necessarily that the individual names were the same? I guess some people just don't have the talent to read between the lines...I'll just have to be more careful what I write in the future. :redface:
          Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Yes yes... The interception by Bulger on Monday had a very real similarity to Warner's last week. Both went for TDs. I am not sure anyone should make Warner/Bulger comparisons ...(not right now anyway!).

Here is a thought...the Lambs were down 17-0. If we score even three points (instread of the INT) they are down 17-3 or 17-7. Alas...the final insult and a 24-0 result.

Comment

When you have one NFL-caliber CB on the active roster (Butler) that's a team in trouble.
              I'm curious as to how Bernie would define "NFL-caliber". Butler has been around a little longer than Groce or Garrett, but he's not any more talented. In fact, as far as upside goes, I don't see any CB with more than Garrett. Speculation mind you, but in a year or two Groce and Garrett will both be a step ahead of Butler.
              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude
                C'mon...do I really need to point out that I was referring to the general performance of the line (and team for that matter), not necessarily that the individual names were the same? I guess some people just don't have the talent to read between the lines...I'll just have to be more careful what I write in the future. :redface:
                What can I say, I'm a stickler for details.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                  A bunch of Bernie posts
                  by RamWraith
                  Work done by RubbersSoul

BernieM wrote:
                  In today's column I mentioned Warner's legacy -- that he made all of those gloomy football seasons in St. Louis disappear, and replaced them with precious moments and memories.

In the short term, he has another legacy: the Rams' starting QB in the next few years will be held to a preposterous standard. No question, Bulger needs to play better. As I wrote in here from minicamp, his arm on the deep balls remains weak and I get ticked off just watching it.

But overall, Bulger is at about where he should be (and he's pretty good) for a QB still finding his way in this league. But because Warner played at such unbelievable heights from 1999-2001, Bulger will be measured against that. Is that fair? Probably doesn't matter -- it's sports. It's just the way it is. Ironically, even Warner fell short -- way short -- of meeting those standards himself, once the injuries took their toll. Warner wasn't Warner, either....and yet some demand that Bulger be the Warner of 1999, 2000 and 2001. Kind of silly if you ask me. Ain't gonna happen. So Bulger should be judged on his own merits.

Cheers,
                  Bernie

BernieM wrote:

You're right; Martz does "spin" on Warner.

It's been a long time since Martz and Warner had a truly good relationship, so I always discount MM's warm and fuzzy comments about Kurt.

Bottom line is, it all started to fall apart when Kurt's hand became something he couldn't overcome. It started the domino effect. If Warner could still throw it consistently like he once did, and if he could get settled in the pocket again without freaking, none of this would have happened. The Rams and Martz invested a ton of money in Kurt and had no reason to want him to fail. By going this way, they've got millions invested in two QBs, Warner and Bulger, and that hurts their cap.

Cheers,
                  Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                  Bulger is capable of throwing the deep pass. We saw it in 2002. It frustrates me to see him sputter in this area. I think it's in his head. He's thinking too much about technique instead of letting it rip.

In another follow up, as I've said many times, Bulger needs to play better. Cut down on mistakes, most of all.

But only a fool would expect him to play as well as Warner did from 1999-2001.

Cheers,
                  Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                  It isn't a matter of Kurt's hand being healed.
                  It will never be healed, really. Not in the traditional sense.
                  That's because the problem -- as I continually write -- is an arthritic-like condition in his right thumb. That never heals. It's just a question of when it flares up, and how it limits him when it does flare up. Some days, his grip is fine. Other days, it isn't.

I dig the Martz bashing on this...
                  -06-04-2004, 10:47 AM
                • RamWraith
                  The Bernie speaks on Warner fans
                  by RamWraith
                  I think it's good to keep up with Warner.
                  I do it myself. I want to see him do well.
                  I TiVO every Giants game and look forward to the viewing each week.
                  So news updates are fine, and welcome.

My problem is with the Warner fanatics.
                  I don't know how many there are -- perhaps it's a real noisy minority.
                  Fortunately, I don't think this particular form of insanity is widespread.
                  He's the Son of Man to them.
                  They're bizarre.

That's the issue -- Warner fanaticism, and the way these pathetic kooks hate on Bulger and hope that Bulger throws INTs and loses.

Cheers,
                  Bernie
                  -10-13-2004, 06:41 AM
                • RamWraith
                  Bernie on Warner
                  by RamWraith
                  The thing that surprised me (and probably the rest of us, too) is that the Giants signed Warner without seeing him throwing the ball during a formal audition/workout. I know they couldn't work him out while he was still under contract to the Rams....but how can you make a deal with him without at least inspecting how he throws? Why not take a day to do that before completing the final deal? Despite what Kurt's agent says, no other teams were aggressively pursuing him. The Giants could have stalled for a day or two.

Cheers,
                  Bernie
                  -06-21-2004, 06:06 PM
                • RamDez
                  Bernie takes it to the Warner fans who are down on the Rams
                  by RamDez
                  He says just what I am thinking on this

Bernie on Warner
                  -01-20-2009, 03:08 AM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  Bernie Bytes: Life After Warner Ain't Pretty
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  Bernie Bytes: Life after Warner ain't pretty

2 hours ago • BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist

Watching the Rams and Cardinals play in Arizona on Sunday, it occurred to me that we were seeing two franchises that haven’t been the same since Kurt Warner went away.

I’m not attributing all of the success to Warner, and I’m not blaming all of the failures on the many quarterbacks that tried to replace him as the de facto leader of the two franchises.

But the differences in the Before and After versions of the Rams and Cardinals are glaring.

Let’s take a look:

• From 1999-2001, when Warner started games, the Rams went 40-10. That includes the postseason. The Rams had the league’s best winning percentage over the three seasons. Warner, impacted by hand injuries and concussions, didn’t play much in 2003. Mike Martz released Warner following the ’03 season.

Since Warner was let go by the Rams, the franchise has a regular-season record of 41-97-1. That winning percentage of .299 is the worst in the league from 2004 until present. The Rams got to two Super Bowls with Warner as QB, and won the championship to cap a storybook 1999 season.

• From 2007-2009 Warner started 48 games for the Cardinals. In Warner’s starts, the team’s record (including postseason) was 28-20. The Cardinals were 12th in the 32-team NFL in winning percentage from 2007-2009, and the 2008 Cardinals advanced to the Super Bowl before losing a heartbreaker to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Warner, concerned over his concussion history, retired after the 2009 season. Since Warner’s retirement, the Cardinals have gone 17-26 and rank 25th in the NFL in winning percentage from the start of 2010 until present.

• Since Warner left St. Louis, here’s the roll call of Rams’ QBs, with the number of games and passing attempts for each player:

Marc Bulger 74 games and 2,425 passing attempts.

Sam Bradford 37 games and 1,296 attempts.

Then there’s Jamie Martin (9 games, 207 attempts), Kyle Boller (7 and 176), Gus Frerotte (9 and 170), Ryan Fitzpatrick (5 and 135), Keith Null (4 and 119), A.J. Feeley (5 and 97), Kellen Clemens (5 and 94), Trent Green (3 and 72), Chris Chandler (5 and 62), Brock Berlin (2 and 31) and Tom Brandstater (1 game, two passing attempts.)

• The fair thing to do here is point out that the 2003 Rams went 12-4 with Bulger starting 15 games, and Warner starting one game. And even though the 2004 Rams went 8-8 and won a playoff game, things had started to unravel by ’04. But the team did have success with Bulger in 2003 and 2004. Bulger wasn’t a peak-form Warner, but he was very good for a few seasons, including 2006.

• With Warner as the starter from 1999-2001 the Rams were No. 1 in scoring with an average of 32.7 points per game. They also ranked first...
                  -11-29-2012, 12:11 PM
                Working...
                X