X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson gets cleaned ..

Down and dirty

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports

Coming off a frustrating, injury-marred '07 campaign and approaching a contract year that could trigger his becoming the NFL's highest-paid runner, Jackson learned last month that agent Gary Uberstine had fired him . Upon reading an email from Uberstine informing him that their representation agreement was being terminated, Jackson says, "I was in a state of shock. Where was the loyalty? The crazy thing is, I'm not a high-maintenance guy. Gary's done a lot of good in my life, and I at least thanked him for doing it before I started negotiating with the Rams. But I didn't see that coming at all."

Players switch agents all the time, but because they're almost invariably the ones initiating the breakups, Uberstine's 'Dear Steven' letter took on a man-bites-dog novelty. Throw in the fact that Jackson, whose breakout 2006 season stamped him as one of the league's brightest offensive stars, stands to land a lucrative long-term deal that will likely carry a seven-figure commission, and the whole thing seems downright stunning.

What prompted the move? Jackson says Uberstine was upset about the player's decision to use a former associate of Uberstine's as his marketing representative, among things. "It was a power move," says Jackson, who has since signed with Eugene Parker. "It was his way of saying that I need him more than he needs me."

Uberstine, in a telephone conversation on Thursday, declined to discuss the situation in specific terms, saying of Jackson, "I wish him and his sister Rhonda (an informal business adviser to the halfback) the very best, and I really don't want to go into the factors that went into my decision. I have no doubt that he will soon be the highest-paid running back in football."

To Jackson, such an eventuality is no sure thing. After St. Louis's disastrous 2007 season, in which the Rams lost their first eight games (four of which Jackson missed with a partially torn left groin) and sputtered to a 3-13 record that put second-year coach Scott Linehan's job in jeopardy, he sees his and his team's futures as shrouded in uncertainty.

"It's a one-year bid for everybody," Jackson says. "It could be Scott's last year, and my last year, and even the franchise is in jeopardy – the team could get sold and leave St. Louis. There's a lot riding on this year, and we all know that. Just as much as the Rams need me, I need them."

A 6-2, 231-pound specimen who runs with speed, power and elusiveness, Jackson took over the offense formerly known as the Greatest Show on Turf in '06 after future Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk went on injured reserve with what turned out to be a career-ending knee injury. Jackson responded by gaining 2,334 yards from scrimmage, the fifth-highest total in NFL history, with 90 receptions, the sixth-highest single-season total by a back.

In '07, Jackson caught just 38 passes while running for 1,002 yards, 526 less than his '06 total. Those numbers were hardly shameful given his health issues, the team's struggles and St. Louis's decimated offensive line, but the experience was nonetheless a miserable one. Before the season, Jackson had said publicly that his goal was to gain 2,500 yards from scrimmage.

"I predicted a number based off of a perfect season," Jackson says. "I learned something – things will come up. Two things killed me: My offensive line was just decimated, and our receivers didn't block. You look at Adrian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson or anyone who has a ton of yards, and those guys on the perimeter block. For me, I wasn't only looking at eight in the box, but if I happened to get through the line and out to the perimeter, the defenders were all over me."

A National Honor Society member in high school, Jackson is smart enough to know that when he makes politically incorrect statements such as that one, his employers are far from thrilled. But he tends to speak his mind anyway, believing he is obligated to be true to himself and his principles.

When Jackson flashes back to a pair of dismal defeats to Green Bay and Pittsburgh last December at the Edward Jones Dome, he doesn't hold back, saying, "You've got to love those Rams fans who showed their loyalty by selling their tickets to Packers and Steelers fans, so half the people in the stadium were rooting against us. It was like playing road games. We ran out of the tunnel and got booed. It was ridiculous. I was livid. In St. Louis, it's one of two things. They either love me or they (expletive) hate me. I'm not a diva, but if I'm pissed, (the Rams' Page Ranking staff) won't let me talk, 'cause they're scared of what might come out of my mouth."

As for what came out of another orifice in Jackson's body on that uncomfortable afternoon last spring – and yes, this is the official jumping-off point for those of you screaming "Too much information!" – Jackson still sounds scarred by the experience.

"I went in there and put on a hospital gown and lay there face up on a table with a hole underneath, and I was totally nervous," he recalled Tuesday between exotic raw-fish rolls, pausing to watch the Lakers force another shot in their Game 6 drubbing by the Celtics.

"My hands were covered in sweat, and the (colon therapist) lady comes in and starts talking my ear off. There's this thin hose-type-thing that you put up there that shoots water into you and sucks everything out, but I had trouble getting it in, and then it kept coming out. The lady had to come back six different times and put it back in there. It was brutal."

Interjected Harris: "Trust me, she didn't mind. I was having mine done in the next room, and she kept coming in to tell me how fine he was. I was like, 'Could you please stop hitting on my boyfriend while you're cleaning out my colon?' When we got done and he walked out to the waiting room, I said, 'Steven, are you OK?' He said, 'I don't want to talk about it.' I swear to God, he looked like a kid who'd been in there with R Kelly."

Jackson laughed at the memory and shook his head in mock disbelief. "I can't believe we're talking about this," he said. "But I will say this: Once you get it all out of you, your body feels great. You get a boost of energy, and you feel like you can accomplish anything."

Now that's something the Rams and their fans will be happy to hear.

Re: Jackson gets cleaned ..

WOW!!! Jackson smacks our receivers for not blocking! UH OH! Torry Holt will definitely roll his eyes over that one.
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

That was a strange article to say the least.

Comment

Manoman, the dude gets into enemas and he might have five thousand yards.
        Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

I don't recall Marshall Faulk, an all-time great RB in which you are aspiring to be, throwing his team under the bus after a crappy year, Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
            I don't recall Marshall Faulk, an all-time great RB in which you are aspiring to be, throwing his team under the bus after a crappy year, Jackson.
            To paraphrase an old movie title, "It's a ME, ME, ME, ME, World".

Followed, of course, by the infamous "SHOW ME THE MONEY!".
            RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

Well Jackson is starting off the season right. It's June and he is already throwing teammates under the bus

Comment

I am all for calling people out if they arent doing their job. Its pretty obvious that Torry doesnt block. He doesnt even run after the catch.

I love holt. But why does he dive after he makes a catch? to prolong HIS career, so that HE can keep getting paid.

Just playing devils advocate for the ME ME ME reference.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                  I am all for calling people out if they arent doing their job. Its pretty obvious that Torry doesnt block. He doesnt even run after the catch.

I love holt. But why does he dive after he makes a catch? to prolong HIS career, so that HE can keep getting paid.

Just playing devils advocate for the ME ME ME reference.
                  No problem, GameTime.

I wasn't inferring that what I said pertained to St Jax alone.

Football is probably the ultimate TEAM game and throwing one's team mates under the proverbial bus isn't the best way to stay healthy.
                  RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                    WOW!!! Jackson smacks our receivers for not blocking! UH OH! Torry Holt will definitely roll his eyes over that one.
                    He's actually more the yelling and screaming type isn't he?

It will be very interesting to see what responses if any come from the receiving corps because this is a pretty direct criticism from Jackson and one that would have probably been best kept in-house. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
                      To paraphrase an old movie title, "It's a ME, ME, ME, ME, World".

Followed, of course, by the infamous "SHOW ME THE MONEY!".
                      Sad, but true. This year is beginning to go right back in the crapper, and its not even August yet.

Comment

Oh well, it's the truth though. It's sad..but true. It's not like we haven't been thinking it. Oh, and as for Marshall...he wasn't known for being a good teammate in Indy. It wasn't until he arrived in St. Louis where he embraced the leader role.

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
                          Oh well, it's the truth though. It's sad..but true. It's not like we haven't been thinking it.
                          If it is true, the game film would certainly confirm or debunk Jackson's feelings. Regardless, it does absolutely no good to air this stuff in public. These guys are teammates who are working towards the same goals and need to communicate in order to get things right as opposed to venting in front of reporters. It worries me that the coaching staff doesn't have a handle on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottD413 View Post
                            Well Jackson is starting off the season right. It's June and he is already throwing teammates under the bus
                            If we are going to accuse Steven of "throwing teammates under the bus"', then couldn't we say Bugler did much the same thing a couple of years ago? Bulger got praised for his effort, and hailed as an emerging leader. Jackson didn't name anyone specifically, he just said receivers. As bad as we were last year, I think everyone should be held accountable. Torry shouldn't get a free pass either. There are 3 new receivers who should make the team this year, (Burton, Avery, and Caldwell) Nothing wrong with letting them know right off the bat they'll be expected to do more than just run and catch .. Receivers have the opportunity to contribute on every play, not just plays where the ball is thrown to them ...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                              Jackson Energized By Adventurous Offseason
                              by r8rh8rmike
                              Jackson Energized by Adventurous Offseason
                              Tuesday, September 7, 2010

By Nick Wagoner
                              Senior Writer

Lying on an operating table following back surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back in early April, Steven Jackson couldn’t help but let his mind drift to the idea of football mortality.

In his six years in the NFL, Jackson had never suffered an injury serious enough that he had to undergo offseason surgery let alone feel any pain of any kind that extended beyond a normal three to four week rest period in January.

But for the first time, Jackson was going to have an offseason quite different from any of his previous ones.

It was then and there that Jackson decided to cut it loose and take a different approach to how he’d spend his summer vacation.

“I had uncertainty in my health for the majority of the offseason and was not really enjoying myself,” Jackson said. “It allowed me to really think about the NFL and sometimes you think you can play this game forever. It was a reality check, one that I was probably taking for granted because I have always been healthy for the most part. This time I had to rehab, go through the operation. I was constantly working and not enjoying myself in my down time. Once the back was feeling good and I was feeling physically fit, I wanted to take advantage of my opportunities to enjoy myself.”

OUTSIDE THE LINES

Each offseason, Jackson makes it a point to try to see at least one new country, if not more. Long before the surgery, Jackson had already planned to venture to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup.

In addition to South Africa, he’d also planned to make stops in Botswana, Namibia and Zambia. Along the way, Jackson initially figured he’d see the historical sites, tour the land and sample the local food.

At some point during the back issues, Jackson morphed into the Vinnie Chase character from Entourage who used a back injury of his own to develop a desire for thrill seeking adventures.

So Jackson called his travel agent and added shark diving, three safaris and sand dune hikes to his itinerary.

“I just kind of wanted to go into overcoming fears and living outside the lines and boundaries,” Jackson said. “You hear people all the time say that your mind traps you in fear. I kind of tried to step outside of myself and mimic somewhat of a daredevil. This year, I told my travel agent ‘let’s walk on the wild side a little bit.’”

Of all of the heart pounding exploits on his trip, it was the first one that really set the tone.

On his first day in Cape Town, Jackson hopped on a boat and was ferried to an area known as Seal Island, where great white sharks are known to congregate in large groups.

After a bit of trepidation, Jackson climbed into a cage, was hooked up to an...
                              -09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
                            • r8rh8rmike
                              Learning To Lead: The Evolution Of Steven Jackson
                              by r8rh8rmike
                              Learning to Lead: The Evolution of Steven Jackson
                              Wednesday, October 7, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                              Senior Writer

“Our response to an offense determines our future.” – Author John Bevere, “The Bait of Satan.”

Right there in black and white for his eyes to see, Steven Jackson constantly goes back to this book. It’s one of his favorites though if you ask him to name them it might take a while because he’s constantly diving into a new one.

On the surface, passages like the one above might seem simple. Then again, on the surface, a person might be viewed the same way.

What you don’t know is how complicated something or someone can be when you dig a littler deeper. In the case of Steven Jackson, a little closer look can reveal something you never would have guessed or even attempted to try.

A BORN LEADER

At the conclusion of nearly every Rams practice, a few players always lag behind the group on the long walk back to the locker room. Some stay behind and catch passes, others work on footwork. They all do it by choice but some undoubtedly do it because that’s what Jackson does.

Jackson is the one who will quickly peel off his pads and run extra gassers, not because he’s out of shape but because it sets the right example of what it takes to be successful.

The Rams have the fourth-youngest team in the NFL with an average age of right around 26. Coincidentally, Jackson is the same age. But because he entered the league when he was only 20, Jackson’s ascent to a leadership role has happened quicker than most.

As he’s grown and developed as a player, he’s seen players come and go and just now, in 2009, has he taken it upon himself to become the leader of this young group.

“I have seen nothing but great things,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “His greatness in that regard, in the leadership regard is shining right now when it’s not the best of times and the results haven’t been what we want. I’m not going to share with you one other thing but there was something he did that meant the world to me and I appreciated him and how he’s gone about things right now.”

Growing up in Las Vegas, Jackson’s lessons in leadership began at an early age. His father, Steve, practically majored in the subject as a Marine veteran in the Vietnam War.

That meant plenty of “yes, sir” and “no, sir” in the Jackson household but it also began a cultivation process in the planting of those seeds of leadership.

Jackson learned a lot of the details from his father, things like always being on time, keeping your word and being dressed presentably for every occasion. Those little things that can determine one’s character.

“You have to go through a maturation of becoming a leader,” Jackson said. “Everyone doesn’t have leadership qualities but those...
                              -10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
                            • RamDez
                              Jackson surprised by latest gain
                              by RamDez
                              JOE HAWK: Rams' Jackson surprised by latest gain

Although he thought he was prepared at the time, Steven Jackson admits now that his first season in the NFL carried more of a "Wow!" factor than he believed it would.

No, it didn't have to do with the brute physicality of the play. Nor the difficulty of comprehending the St. Louis Rams' complex playbook. Nor the growing fatigue that goes with playing twice as many games, including the pre- and postseasons, as he did in a typical college season.

Nope, what caught the former Eldorado High School and Oregon State running back by surprise was something that would cause a double take for any 21-year-old in his situation:

"Here I was playing against guys that I had watched forever. ... Wow!" Jackson says, a little awe still ringing in his voice. "That was really something."

Interestingly, by late in his rookie season, it was the bruising 6-foot-2-inch, 235-pound Jackson who was inspiring awe and creating a few double takes around the league. So much so, in fact, that in February -- just one month after the Rams had concluded their season with a 47-17 loss to the Atlanta Falcons in an NFL divisional playoff game -- coach Mike Martz announced Jackson would replace veteran Marshall Faulk as St. Louis' featured back in 2005.

OK, that unexpected announcement held a bit of a "Wow!" factor for Jackson, too.

"The news of me being a starter, that kind of caught me off guard. (The team) didn't give me any forewarning," explains Jackson, a first-round pick of St. Louis in 2004. "I expected to hear it in a more private setting.

"But I'm definitely ready for what it brings. I'm more relaxed now and ready to do what's necessary."

With his arrival date in training camp still 2 1/2 weeks away -- July 27 in St. Louis -- what is necessary for the highly intelligent but soft-spoken Jackson today is a charity autograph signing from noon to 2 p.m. at Power Play Sportscards at the Galleria Mall in Henderson. Jackson will be signing -- $30 for general items, $40 for premium -- to raise money for the Steven Jackson Foundation for Literacy and Education. The foundation's primary purpose is to help reduce the dropout rate in local high schools.

"We all have dreams and aspirations, but how many of us really have the opportunity to make them come true," Jackson says. "It's great to have them and to work toward them, but everybody needs a Plan B. That's why having an education is important.

"It's easy to look at the hotels and figure you can get a job there. But that business is cutthroat. And even if you can get a good-paying job like, say, valet parking, do you really want to do that for the rest of your life?"

Appropriately, Jackson references the only work...
                              -07-09-2005, 08:53 AM
                            • MauiRam
                              Rams camp report: Unbridled spirit keeps Jackson running ..
                              by MauiRam
                              Rams camp report: Unbridled spirit keeps Jackson running
                              By Pete Prisco
                              CBSSports.com Senior Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- His talents seem hidden beneath the rubble that has been the St. Louis Rams the past three seasons, a gem buried deep underneath the trash pile.

Running back Steven Jackson ran for a career second-best 1,416 yards last season, but few noticed. For one, Tennessee's Chris Johnson ran for over 2,000 yards to lead the league and steal the spotlight, with Jackson finishing second in rushing. Then there's the team record. Going 1-15 doesn't exactly bring the national spotlight to anybody on a team's roster.

The Rams still play football?

"There's nothing I can do about it," Jackson said. "I know people don't notice me the way they do other guys. But as long as I have the respect of my peers, I'm OK with it."

That's why when veteran quarterbacks Brett Favre and Peyton Manning sought him out after games last season, it meant so much to Jackson.

Manning gave him a quick message for a great player struggling on a bad team: Keep working and heading in the right direction, Manning told him.

"Him saying that was cool, a neat experience," Jackson said.

Any acknowledgement is a good thing when you've been playing for a team that has won a total of six games in three seasons. Jackson is truly the NFL's hidden superstar.

That can beat down any player, the constant negativity that comes with losing each and every Sunday. Do you know how hard it is to attend Pro Bowls or go to Vegas and hang out with fellow NFL players and have to explain the losing?

Players can often be sympathetic to other players in the offseason. So I asked Jackson what the players from other teams say to him.

"That they want to trade for me," he said.

You can forget that. With the Rams likely breaking in rookie quarterback Sam Bradford this season, an offense that was last in the NFL in scoring in 2009 will need Jackson more than ever.

There will once again be heavy doses of Jackson right and Jackson left on Sundays again.

The good news is he's healthy. Jackson wasn't close to that last season, although he only missed one game. Jackson played the final six games with a herniated disc in his lower back. Usually that would mean a star on a team out of the playoffs checking out. Not this one, even though Jackson said the pain was "excruciating" and he needed back surgery to fix the problem after the season.

"I only missed the Arizona game, but that day the sciatic nerve was unforgiving," Jackson said. "I really had to tell myself it wasn't smart for my career."

The long season could have broken the man. But it never did. That impressed Rams coach Steve...
                              -08-09-2010, 09:39 AM
                            • MauiRam
                              Jackson Carries Rams Into the Light ..
                              by MauiRam
                              By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
                              Posted 2 hours ago

It is said that out of darkness will emerge light. How quickly that light emerges depends on whether you move with confidence or tiptoe through the shadows.

Steven Jackson has never tiptoed through anything in his life. And though it’s taken longer than he would have liked, the eighth-year running back is on the verge of delivering the Rams out of the darkness and into the light.

It’s a task that many would choose not to take on for enduring the pain that goes with it would be too much for just about anyone to bear.

Jackson has been called many things in his career but there’s one common nickname he’s been called that he never quite grasped until he took the time during the offseason to wrap his head around it.

“It’s funny I have been referred to as a beast for quite some time and I said, ‘You know, I am going to look it up. What does the word beast mean?’” Jackson said. “And to give you a quick synopsis of how I look at it and how I thought of it is ‘a mammal that bears the weight of something and transports it.’ I feel like I have been a beast because I bear the weight of some tough times around St. Louis and I have carried it from the days of glory to now hopefully to a new age and a new version of the days of glory. And I have been the particular, chosen one to feel like maybe he’s the one strong enough to bring us through the darkness back to a point where (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) and these younger guys will bring us back to glory.”

Bearing the weight of an entire franchise’s struggle is a burden Jackson has carried for all of his seven seasons in the NFL. On closer inspection, it’s clear that Jackson’s sacrifice has gone well beyond simply being a part of a losing team.

In fact, he’s one of the last of his kind in the NFL, a running back willing and capable of taking on a full load in a league that grown more specialized by the season.

The job of the single running back carrying the load is one thing; the job of the single player carrying the hopes of a franchise on his back is another. Jackson has done both.

It’s a job Jackson believes he was chosen for, a job he was selected for by powers greater than a general manager or head coach.

“I think it’s a divine job not for the organization but for me, myself because I never knew some of the strong characteristics and the things that I believe in were within me until I had to go through some tough times,” Jackson said.

A DYING BREED

With each passing NFL season, the league evolves and changes in ways that consistently alter the way players and positions are perceived.

Today, in 2011, the NFL is almost universally viewed as a quarterback’s league, a passing league in which running backs can be found and deployed in a variety of ways and you can...
                              -09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
                            Working...
                            X