X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laram0
    • Jul 2005

What "is" going to be acceptable?

As far as Headcoach Scott Linehan goes. How many wins do we the fans need to see in the first half of the 2008 season before we start calling for his head?
    Of course taking into consideration the difficult schedule we have for the first half of the season.

@ Philadelphia
    vs. Giants
    @ Seattle
    vs. Buffalo
    @ Washington
    vs. Dallas
    @ New England
    vs. Arizona

SLAP
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Re: What "is" going to be acceptable?

I'd say if we can win 4 out of the first 8, that'd be accepted. If we only win 2 of the first 8, there's going to be a bunch of fans calling for his head.

Comment

• HUbison
      Rams Nation MVP
      • May 2004

I think Buffalo and Arizona have to end in "W"s. Stay competitive in the other 6, and then take on the back half of the season. Anything more than 2-6 should be considered bonus.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

• Bald_81
        • Jan 2006

I can see a 3-5 out of those if we play our best football.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
          I think Buffalo and Arizona have to end in "W"s. Stay competitive in the other 6, and then take on the back half of the season. Anything more than 2-6 should be considered bonus.
          I agree Hubison,I think it depends more on how we look on the field,we won't win them all but has the team improved and if the answer is yes, I believe Linehan stays and thats ok,but only if we see improvement.

Comment

I think that i'm going to have a pretty good "feel" for how our 2008 Rams are going to fair when the bye week rolls around.
            This year, our bye week comes early. Week 5. That could be a good thing if we come out of the gate "fighting", not just playing, for our football lives. Flying to the ball, creating turnovers and not making them etc... sending a message to our opponents that we are going to leave it all on the field.
            We won't be expected to win week 1 at the Eagles. But if we do what a boost. And if we don't and are competitive, keeping it close, well that sends the message to the Giants.
            The defending Super Bowl champs at our house in week 2. How could we not be pumped to beat them down? I give us a fighting chance. Hell, maybe the Redskins rough 'em up a little in week 1.
            I always think we can beat the Seahawks, no matter who's yard we're playing in. I like our chances in week 3.
            Week 4. The Bills at our house. I hate to call that a "must" game. I'll call that a "dangerous" game.

We MUST set the TONE for our season early.
            I.M.O:

4-0. Dream on.
            3-1. Life is good.
            2-2. Stay tuned.
            1-3. Linny's hangin' by a string
            0-4. Linny's pink slip (may not be delivered yet. But it's already signed.)

Yes, the next 4 games after the bye week are tough as well. I find it easier to break our season down in quarters. Let's see if we can cross the first quarter hurdle with some success and go from there.

RAM ON!

Comment

• DistantRam

I'm very surprised that no-one has mentioned injuries yet. If Pace, Holt and Bulger all get injured in week one and miss the rest of the season, don't Linehan's targets have to be modified accordingly?

Comment

Originally posted by DistantRam View Post
                I'm very surprised that no-one has mentioned injuries yet. If Pace, Holt and Bulger all get injured in week one and miss the rest of the season, don't Linehan's targets have to be modified accordingly?
                I think healthy is the assumption. Distant, .......................................

RAM ON!

Comment

• itsguud
                  • Feb 2007

I find it surprising that people are willing to allow Linehan to rack up ANY more losses after 13 last year before calling for his head. Personally, I feel like NFL teams are not just about the talent but much more about strategy. And thus the smartest teams can beat the theoretical 'best' teams.

I think linehan racked up enough losses last year for two years. BUT having said that, I will give the team the benefit of the doubt and consider that maybe one week they are off. So I give linehan 1 loss in the first 8 games to play with. USE it wisely SL, I'm calling for your head once this number reaches 2.

Comment

Originally posted by itsguud View Post
                    I find it surprising that people are willing to allow Linehan to rack up ANY more losses after 13 last year before calling for his head. Personally, I feel like NFL teams are not just about the talent but much more about strategy. And thus the smartest teams can beat the theoretical 'best' teams.

I think linehan racked up enough losses last year for two years. BUT having said that, I will give the team the benefit of the doubt and consider that maybe one week they are off. So I give linehan 1 loss in the first 8 games to play with. USE it wisely SL, I'm calling for your head once this number reaches 2.
                    That is ...WOW.. to the point! 1 loss? You are a mad man!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• DistantRam

Originally posted by YodaRam View Post
                      I think healthy is the assumption. Distant, .......................................
                      I'm sure that it is, Yoda, but there has been no mention in this thread of injuries taking their toll and we saw in 2007 how crucial they are.

If we stay fit and play to our best, I reckon that we can win in Philly (shut down Westbrook and Curtis and that's their O more-or-less done); the Giants had their annus mirabilis in 2007-08 and are eminently beatable; games against Seattle are usually close and this time we've got Josh Brown; Buffalo are on the rise but so are we and we've got home advantage; Washington are rubbish; we'll lose the next two, in all probability; Arizona at home we should win.

I'll say we can go at least 4-4 over the first eight games; we'll lose against Dallas and the Cheatriots but we won't lose more than two other games.... if everyone stays fit.

As for what's acceptable, if we go 2-6 but remain competitive in the defeats (except against the "big two") then that would be just about okay. If we get annihilated in more than three games, serious questions will have to be asked.

Either way, Linehan should be in charge for the whole 2008 season. It's very possible that our team will start to come together as the season progresses and that the second half schedule will enable us to get some momentum going. If we are 5-11 or worse at the end of the year, Linehan has to go. If we are 6-10 or 7-9, much will depend on our competitiveness in those defeats. 8-8 or more and Linehan deserves another season, in my opinion, although many won't agree.

Comment

I'm sure that it is, Yoda, but there has been no mention in this thread of injuries taking their toll and we saw in 2007 how crucial they are.

If we stay fit and play to our best, I reckon that we can win in Philly (shut down Westbrook and Curtis and that's their O more-or-less done); the Giants had their annus mirabilis in 2007-08 and are eminently beatable; games against Seattle are usually close and this time we've got Josh Brown; Buffalo are on the rise but so are we and we've got home advantage; Washington are rubbish; we'll lose the next two, in all probability; Arizona at home we should win.

I'll say we can go at least 4-4 over the first eight games; we'll lose against Dallas and the Cheatriots but we won't lose more than two other games.... if everyone stays fit.

As for what's acceptable, if we go 2-6 but remain competitive in the defeats (except against the "big two") then that would be just about okay. If we get annihilated in more than three games, serious questions will have to be asked.

Either way, Linehan should be in charge for the whole 2008 season. It's very possible that our team will start to come together as the season progresses and that the second half schedule will enable us to get some momentum going. If we are 5-11 or worse at the end of the year, Linehan has to go. If we are 6-10 or 7-9, much will depend on our competitiveness in those defeats. 8-8 or more and Linehan deserves another season, in my opinion, although many won't agree.
                        Go as far as you do. Much RESPECT! You have to remember that i am only concerned with the first 4 games at this point. My evaluation is based on no serious injuries to key players. And i will go no deeper than those 4 games. Is it really so hard to break it down?

Comment

• PossumBoy9

Lovin' the losses, huh?

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                          Wow....what an incredibly low standard. You're not Scott Linehan, are you?

The guy has proven that he can't beat good teams. You actually approve of that continuing?

Eventually, the Rams will have to beat good teams to get somewhere.

Anything more than 2-6 should be considered a bonus? Give me a break.

Did I happen upon ClanLinehan by mistake?

Comment

• PossumBoy9

No more excuses

He's already used all the magic dust the excuse fairy gave him last year.

If he can't win, the team has to move on without him.

Comment

• HUbison
                              Rams Nation MVP
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by Possum
                              Anything more than 2-6 should be considered a bonus? Give me a break.
                              Such is the burden of reality.

Possum, the question was, how many games must the Rams win in order to keep the villagers from grabbing the torches and pitchforks. Now I would love to stamp a mandate of "8-0 or Scott must go" (Hmm, I can almost hear Cindy Sheehan and Jesse Jackson chanting it now). But that just simply is not realistic. The talent is not there, and the opposition's talent is. I'm not a Linehan fan, but I'm not blinded by hate either. The over/under is 2. If the Rams win more than that, then they either beat a playoff team at home (Giants, Dallas) on the road (Seattle, Wash, Pats), a contender in the harshest of road assignments (Philly), or some combination thereof. That would certainly be a step in the right direction. However, if they win none or one, that means home games that should be wins......weren't (Bills, Cards).
                              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment