• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good game, Martz gets the credit

just as he should do.

Well done Mike

Re: Good game, Martz gets the credit

When the players play he's a Genius , when they don't ........... Well it can't be his fault!

Comment

Re: Good game, Martz gets the credit

Your kidding right?

Reborn

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        Martz bashers now have proof: He doesn't know the score
        by Nick
        Martz bashers now have proof: He doesn't know the score
        BY JEFF GORDON
        Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
        09/03/2004

I believe we all like a little self-deprecating humor in our coaches. In a field of know-it-alls and Inventors of the Sport, the ability to mock oneself is an endearing quality.

We can only take so much of the Bill Walshs and Marty Schottenheimers of the world.

However, I'd like to use this corner of cyberspace to give Rams coach Mike Martz a little advice.

Never, never, NEVER come clean during a post-game news conference. Never admit to a lapse in your cognitive powers.

Never admit you didn't know what the score was in the last minute of a game.

You know how some citizens of Rams Nation are. They doubt Martz as a head coach and disparage his game management skills. They bristle every time he burns his timeouts, as he did in the second half of the Raiders game.

They hang on his every word, waiting for him to make an incriminating statement or use an improper tone of voice. There are folks who walk around town muttering one of Martz's favorite lines, "Shoot, we'll fix that," under their breaths.

As veteran talk show host Howard Balzer noted on 1380 ESPN Friday morning, Martz should NOT have made a confession after Thursday night's 28-24 loss at Oakland.

He admitted ordering Jeff Smoker to throw a sideline pass with nine seconds left, even though the Rams needed to get in the end zone.

"I can't believe I was yelling for a field goal," Martz told reporters. "That was the dumbest thing I've ever done as a football coach."

Oh, boy. You don't want to get Rams fans going down that road.

That was tantamount to throwing out a three-hour radio call-in topic. That was like throwing fresh hamburger into the shark tank. Fans will be eager to respond to that assertion.

"Smoker was yelling at me, 'Hey coach, we're down by four!'" Martz continued. "Can you imagine Jeff Smoker telling me what the score was?"

Everybody at once: YES!

Now I'm a pretty big Mike Martz fan. He inherited outstanding talent from Dick Vermeil, but he also had to rebuild an atrocious defense.

He has accomplished plenty on his own, including winning an NFC Championship and reaching postseason play three times.

The NFL is a tough place to coach, as Steve Spurrier would tell you. Rams fans tend not to give Mad Mike all the credit he deserves.

But Martz DOES do some goofy things. He seems to become immersed in his scripted play chart, to the point of becoming impervious to all the drama swirling around him.

When asked to comment on such-and-such an incident on the sidelines, Martz often has no idea what reporters...
        -09-03-2004, 05:19 PM
      • BigGameMN
        Fire Martz -- or stay out of his way
        by BigGameMN
        Terrific article on Martz and the turmoil in Detroit

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/i...370.xml&coll=6...
        -11-21-2007, 12:06 AM
      • LaRamsFanLongTime
        Good Job Martz
        by LaRamsFanLongTime
        I am one of his biggest critics so he deserves this. Great job coming out strong and holding up strong. Lets keep the show rolling guys. Marmie, as well I am proud of the effort.
        -11-14-2004, 02:11 PM
      • Nick
        Martz on Tuesday: 'We know what the issues are'
        by Nick
        Martz on Tuesday: 'We know what the issues are'
        Compiled by Jeff Gordon
        STLtoday.com Sports
        Tuesday, Nov. 30 2004

The Rams defense lost its fight Monday night in Green Bay. Coach Mike Martz
        drew that obvious conclusion after reviewing the debris from that 45-17 loss at
        Lambeau Field.

“I was very pleased with the first few series, anyway,” Martz said at his
        Tuesday news conference. “As the second half moved on, I was disappointed
        defensively just in some of the errors and mistakes that began to occur, guys
        out of position. At one point, we had 10 people on the field. Those things are
        unacceptable. We began to lose our focus somewhat on defense.

“It’s kind of a personal thing with some of these guys. We can’t lose the
        resolve when things go bad. In the past, we’ve always been able to rebound. . .
        . As it snowballed, they had a hard time with that.

“Some of the veterans, they get frustrated, they try to do a little bit more
        than what they need to. They’ve got this gap and you try to do it all. You
        think the ball is going there and you run over there and you’re not where the
        ball is coming out.

“We’ve got to get this team playing better. It’s a step-by-step process. We’ve
        got some veterans not playing as good as they should, or as well as they have
        in the past, and some young guys learning how to play. That’s not a good
        combination.”

More from Martz's press conference:

On the team’s porous rushing defense:

“As the game wore on, our run fits and fills were not what they should be. It’s
        not a question of what defense you run or being complicated or anything like
        that. It’s just having the discipline and resolve to fill where you’re supposed
        to and you've got to make a play, make a tackle.

“When Aeneas (Williams) went out at free safety, there was significant
        confusion out there, some of the calls and what not. We had a hard time on
        their field. That may have contributed to some of the problems.

“We just have to be more physical and more disciplined in how we play. We know
        what the issues are. It’s easy to look at the tape and find out ‘here’s what
        you didn’t do right.’ You have to be tough enough as players and be accountable
        enough to make those corrections and understand the discipline of playing the
        defense. It’s that simple."

On the ill-fated fake field goal attempt:

“The decision was my decision, kind of at the last second, really. I just felt
        like at that point we needed to try to make something happen. We talked about
        it during the week and we felt like we had a pretty good opportunity to make
        that...
        -12-01-2004, 12:50 AM
        You Want to give Martz credit?
        by Guest
        From the start of this season any win the Rams get should be credited to Martz. No more does he have superior talent over the rest of the league. That said, if he gets this thing into the playoffs after all that has happened this year and everything he has had to overcome then he should get the credit for it without argument. It shows he can get it done on an even playing field. I hope like hell we are heaping acolades on Martz after tomorrow. I think this will be the case, I really do.
        -01-01-2005, 10:10 PM
      Working...
      X