Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Thoughts...

On the game tonight.

- The team seemed genuinely enthusiastic despite their lackluster performance against the Chiefs and only a three-day break.

- Once again the Rams burned all their timeouts fairly early, but the call by the officials on the Challenge was bullcrap.

- Torry Holt was okay, I guess.

- The offensive line was surprisingly stout. They showed flashes of good run blocking early on and gradually got better as the game went on. The pass blocking was, for the most part, solid. Scott Tercero was horrible at right tackle as usual, Tom Nutten was unfortunately injured soon after he came in, and Chris Dishman was very slow on his pulls, but he's a big fella.

- I watched Brandon Manumaleuna as he pulled around to block for Marshall on one play, which looked like it would be a good gain, and he completely whiffed on his block.

- Isaac Bruce was Isaac Bruce.

- Marshall Faulk (as if I need to say his last name) was solid, but didn't show me anything to prove he hasn't lost a step.

- Steven Jackson seemed to get quicker and more consistent as the game went on. He carried the team on his shoulders moving downfield on a drive in the fourth. His strength along with his ability to read blocks and react impressed me greatly.

- Arlen Harris looks to be the same as last year. Boring, slow, but solid, especially for a fourth running back. Same with Dane Looker, minus the "slow" part (maybe?).

- Shaun McDonald and Kevin Curtis looked supremely superb. McDonald was quick, fluid, and breaking tackles while Curtis made an amazing catch that was called back (holding) and displayed blazing speed. Those shin splints are a thing of the past, methinks. At this point, Shaun seems to be leading the race for the slot position. I loved the play where he took the handoff as he was motioning across the field and took it around the corner for a first down.

- Bulger was off-mark on a couple passes as usual, but gave fans some optimism with his impressive play. Chandler was smart, accurate, and efficient as usual. He started off a bit slow (5/10 100 some yards and a pick) but tore it up the Skins' defense later on.

- Hell, even Jeff Smoker looked pretty good. His first pass was a beauty. As he turned around to roll out, he was met face-to-face with a Redskins defender, but immediately flipped the ball out for a nice completion.

- Erik Jensen dropped a pass that landed right in his cradle.

- The defensive line was better than I expected. Leonard made a couple plays, Bryce Fisher was efficient at right end, Erik Flowers was in on a lot of plays, and all three were making tackles against the run. Damione Lewis showed good pass rushing abilities on his late hit (&@%$!). The tackles overall seemed to hold their ground and even clogged the middle (gasp!) on a few runs. Brian Howard was even a little impressive.

- The linebackers were speedy and hitting hard. Pisa Tinoisamoa and Robert Thomas seemed to be smacking people all over the field. Brandon Chillar held his own on the outside, making some good tackles. Tommy Polley? You wouldn't have even known he played.

- The secondary was decent, but Garrett disappointed me somewhat with his below-average play. He needs to get comfortable and up to speed. He redeemed himself after getting burned on one play by knocking the ball out of the receiver's arm, and Aeneas Williams was there to pick it up. The Redskins were lucky they had a false start on a play where Williams had an open lane to blow up the quarterback on a blitz. Ramsey would've been decapitated. Who is this Nijrell Eason guy? The official website has him as a RCB, but I'm pretty sure he was playing free safety. He looked damn good. Justin Lucas has really disappointed me with his sloppy pass defense and weak "tackling"; I hope Shivers will get more of a chance.

- Special teams were, well... special. No, they were actually doing pretty good - making tackles and being AGGRESSIVE. That's what I like to see. Following Holt's fifteen-yard penalty (unsportsman-like blah blah blah), they made a big play by stuffing the returner despite the kick only making it to the fifteen- or twenty-yard line. Sean Landeta had a textbook inside-the-10 punt that bounced backwards, as the Rams players, seemingly dumbfounded, watched it. "Wow, that was a great punt. How'd he get it to bounce backwards? Oh, crap, we still have to down the ball."

And for my final thought...

- Tommy Polley playing special teams in the fourth quarter? Ouch. How embarrassing for him.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -08-27-2004, 09:52 PM.

Re: My Thoughts...

how bout chandlers deep ball to holt, I know its pre- , but that gave everyone in the NFL somthing to think about. Then there was the running of 'THE JACKHAMMER'.

Comment

What a difference 3 days makes. K.C. always beats up on the Rams anyway. It is pre-season ,but I think Maybe the Rams are ahead of schedule! Go Blue! :redface:

Comment

Erik Jensen dropped a pass that landed right in his cradle.
        If you're talking about the Smoker pass on the right side in the 4th quarter, that was Mike Brake who dropped the pass.

Comment

Dare you ask the question.. Does chandler through a better deep ball than Bulger????.......nope I'm not going into that...

This win will be great for morale, and thats just the Fans, the team needed this...

Jackson looks scary guys!!

steve :ramlogo:
          "The breakfast Club":helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by majorram
            Dare you ask the question.. Does chandler through a better deep ball than Bulger????.......nope I'm not going into that...
            Yes. In fact, I believe Chandler throws a better pass than Bulger. However, Bulger has more mobility, is more durable, and knows the offense (and its players) better.

Comment

Except for maybe the deep out. Bulger is money on the deep out.

Comment

I sure hope Martz is truly creating some plays to use Faulk and Jackson in the same formation.I also believe that McDonald is ready to break into the starting line-up.All I'm saying is that Jackson and McDonald sure make our offense look fresh,even with an old man under center. :redface:

This game had to be a confidence booster for the guys on both sides of the ball,and this team was in dire need of something positive to reflect on.
                Last edited by Aries51; -08-28-2004, 03:25 PM.
                ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                  Thoughts on Tonight's Game
                  by Nick
                  Again, I'm not one to base my life savings on preseason games. But some of the things I saw tonight worry me.

Offensively...

-Wow, the first team offense looked confused out there. First of all, the offensive line. I think I could count on one hand the number of times I saw adequate blocking either for a pass or run play. We really miss Pace, and it doesn't look like anyone is really stepping up. All anyone has to do is blitz and the line folds like Swiss.

-Bulger looked bad. He was lucky to actually have time to throw most of the time, but some of his throws just looked off-target. He and Isaac couldn't hook up on the first drive (although I liked that 17-yard out later in the half), and he gunned that slant to Looker a bit too hard. He looked out of synch and rattled, understandably because of the pressure but still... and held onto the ball too long on some plays. Looked like he didn't even see Barber coming from midfield on that interception.

-Faulk showed a cutback here or there and looked quick, but didn't do much that I could see. With this line and the blocking we have, Jackson looks much better at this point. He can shed the first guy and gain a couple after that. Given what this line has showed us so far, we may be forced to depend on that.

-Chandler looked okay but not as sharp as he did against the Bears. Nearly got picked twice on two bad throws (one was probably penalty worthy on the Chiefs DB). Looks like he was suffering from some of the same O-line problems Bulger faced in the first half, but I don't think Chris was being blitzed as much, though.

-Kevin Curtis looks like he's answering McDonald's performance last game. He's had some nice grabs and has me optimistic about our depth at wide receiver.

-Just saw the line give up a sack on a three man rush, and not because Chandler was holding onto the ball too long. This is embarassing. SIGN PACE NOW!!!

-Smoker fumbled the snap. Ugh. Smoker's pass gets stolen by a KC defensive back. Double ugh. Smoker throws into double coverage and would have been intercepted had the DB come down in bounds. Ugh to the third power. On the bright side, I saw Smoker hit a number of guys... that were wide open. I guess that's better than whiffing on some.

Defensively...

-We can't stop the run to save our life. It's that simple. I don't know what they have to do, but it seemed like our lineman couldn't get off their blocks, and I saw Tommy Polley being taken out of a play by Dante freakin' Hall. DANTE HALL!!! He weighs 100 pounds wet. No wonder Polley's been demoted.

-Our defensive line has had some problems tackling the quarterback. Little looked like he was in a practice mindset by whiffing on Trent Green early in the game. When Tyoka did get to the QB, he was called for a bogus penalty. Other than that, the D-line hasn't impressed...
                  -08-23-2004, 08:49 PM
                • Nick
                  Random Thoughts on Tonight
                  by Nick
                  -I'm concerned about our running game with Marshall Faulk in the backfield. I'd feel much better about the offense with Jackson in the backfield, if only because he seems to be able to pick up some yards. Marshall looks hesitant and seems to have lost any explosiveness he may have had. At least with Jackson he'll hit a hole and shed the initial tackle, plus some of his cutbacks looked great. He's really impressed me thus far in the preseason.

-Overall, I think Marc Bulger looked good tonight. On the first drive, I thought he did well. The second drive, well, he missed three receivers completely. Not impressive. The third drive was magic, IMO. He missed Curtis on what looked like a miscommunication, but was rock solid from there. Bulger's gotta have more accuracy on those open passes. There's no excuse for not being able to hit a wide open Holt for a gain of 20+. But I think looking at the entire game, he looked good tonight.

-Chandler's deep pass to Holt on the post... I think I shed a tear. It was like God was singing. It seems obvious that Chandler's more comfortable and accurate than Bulger is right now. Both have had their miscues, but Chandler has looked more accurate and more decisive. I have to wonder what role (1) his veteran experience and (2) the defenses he's going against play in this, though. I wasn't impressed by the deep pass that was intercepted. Way too much air under the ball, I thought. But that floater to McDonald in stride for the touchdown was a thing of beauty.

-Speaking of McDonald, he and Curtis are really coming into their own this preseason. I'm very excited about what the two of these guys will be able to do for the offense. Both of them look pretty speedy with great sets of hands.

-The blocking was much better this evening. Looked like the blitzes were being picked up well (I remember Goodspeed picking up a great inside rush), but I think the dreams of having Tercero at right tackle need to end NOW. The only memories I have about him for the game was whiffing on a rush that got Bulger sacked on the first drive, and a false start penalty. Move him back into the interior, I say, because he didn't look good as a tackle at all in my opinion. Furthermore, it wasn't that great to see Nutten leave the game with an injury. This was a concern when he decided to retire from the Jets, right? Not a good sign to see it so shortly after his coming back on the field.

-Defensively, I loved what we did with our first unit. Bryce Fisher was ALL OVER THE FIELD, or so it seemed. Pisa Tinoisamoa looks like a leader on defense. He had a couple of nice tackles and a great hit early in the game. Robert Thomas had a nice play where he penetrated into the backfield and tackled Portis for a loss. I thought our run defense was improved by 200%, but I'm not convinced whether we played better pass defense or Ramsey just struggled out there. He's been unimpressive this...
                  -08-28-2004, 12:38 AM
                • RamDez
                  RamView, August 12, 2004
                  by RamDez
                  RamView, August 12, 2004

From Row HH

(Report and opinions from the game.)

Preseason Game #1: Bears 13, Rams 10 (OT)

More penalties than total points? Must be preseason! But hey, football is back. Hooray football!

Bright spots: Starting offensive and defensive lines looked better than expected.

Position by position:

* QB: Marc Bulger drove the Rams to their initial FG on 3-6-57 passing, the highlight pass a 14-yarder to Dane Looker between two defenders to convert a 3rd-and-12 from the Bear 26. The drive and Bulger's night ended with Marc getting swamped by a Bear blitz. Chris Chandler was close to perfect in relief, 8-9-108 and a TD to Joey Goodspeed. Chandler showed nice accuracy and surprisingly nimble feet, though both a 5-yard scramble on 4th-and-1 and a nice improvised rollout and zinger to Shaun McDonald for 21 were nullified by penalties on Goodspeed and Grant Williams. He scrambled some more on the Goodspeed TD, buying a lot of time before finding the fullback for the score. Chandler showed he can run this offense if needed, though he'll need to avoid dumb interceptions like the deep out intended for Kevin Curtis late in the 2nd. Gotta know after 17 years in the league that you can't force that throw, Chris. Or at least get some air under it. Jeff Smoker (7-14-81) had some expectable rookie moments, but showed he's good raw material. He did a lot of checking down, but also showed a good arm and hung tough in the pocket. (Hmm. Like the Rams' last QB from Michigan State.) Smoker, whose theme song is officially "The Joker" by the Steve Miller Band, showed great touch on a 24-yard completion to TE Mike Brake early in the 3rd, but he lamentably overthrew a wide open McDonald in the 4th, which probably would have led to a score. Trying to drive the Rams for a score with 1:04 left, he held the ball too long on first down and took a sack on his own 7. He followed that with a HORRIBLE forced pass in the flat that Chicago LB Joe Odom should have intercepted and returned for a score. Smoker's got some skills, and he's definitely got Mike Martz mad at him, so he's right on schedule as a Rams rookie QB.

* RB: Steven Jackson (15-73) got almost all of the work as Arlen Harris started but left early with an injury. (Here’s an SAT question for you: Arlen Harris is to Mike Martz as ? was to Dick Vermeil. Answer at end of column.) Radio said Jackson is still a little slow reading the defensive alignment before the snap, but he's fitting in nicely in the passing game, with four catches, and he made a sweet blitz pickup that belies his rookie status. As a runner, he's got explosiveness; he waits for his blocks; he can wiggle through a small hole and burst into the open, like on his long run of 18 in the 3rd; and he can take on tacklers. He didn't seem to have great speed to the outside,...
                  -08-13-2004, 11:44 AM
                • RamDez
                  RamView : From Row HH
                  by RamDez
                  Mike Franke

Preseason Game #1: Bears 13, Rams 10 (OT)

More penalties than total points? Must be preseason! But hey, football is back. Hooray football!

Bright spots: Starting offensive and defensive lines looked better than expected.

Position by position:

* QB: Marc Bulger drove the Rams to their initial FG on 3-6-57 passing, the highlight pass a 14-yarder to Dane Looker between two defenders to convert a 3rd-and-12 from the Bear 26. The drive and Bulger's night ended with Marc getting swamped by a Bear blitz. Chris Chandler was close to perfect in relief, 8-9-108 and a TD to Joey Goodspeed. Chandler showed nice accuracy and surprisingly nimble feet, though both a 5-yard scramble on 4th-and-1 and a nice improvised rollout and zinger to Shaun McDonald for 21 were nullified by penalties on Goodspeed and Grant Williams. He scrambled some more on the Goodspeed TD, buying a lot of time before finding the fullback for the score. Chandler showed he can run this offense if needed, though he'll need to avoid dumb interceptions like the deep out intended for Kevin Curtis late in the 2nd. Gotta know after 17 years in the league that you can't force that throw, Chris. Or at least get some air under it. Jeff Smoker (7-14-81) had some expectable rookie moments, but showed he's good raw material. He did a lot of checking down, but also showed a good arm and hung tough in the pocket. (Hmm. Like the Rams' last QB from Michigan State.) Smoker, whose theme song is officially "The Joker" by the Steve Miller Band, showed great touch on a 24-yard completion to TE Mike Brake early in the 3rd, but he lamentably overthrew a wide open McDonald in the 4th, which probably would have led to a score. Trying to drive the Rams for a score with 1:04 left, he held the ball too long on first down and took a sack on his own 7. He followed that with a HORRIBLE forced pass in the flat that Chicago LB Joe Odom should have intercepted and returned for a score. Smoker's got some skills, and he's definitely got Mike Martz mad at him, so he's right on schedule as a Rams rookie QB.

* RB: Steven Jackson (15-73) got almost all of the work as Arlen Harris started but left early with an injury. (Here’s an SAT question for you: Arlen Harris is to Mike Martz as ? was to Dick Vermeil. Answer at end of column.) Radio said Jackson is still a little slow reading the defensive alignment before the snap, but he's fitting in nicely in the passing game, with four catches, and he made a sweet blitz pickup that belies his rookie status. As a runner, he's got explosiveness; he waits for his blocks; he can wiggle through a small hole and burst into the open, like on his long run of 18 in the 3rd; and he can take on tacklers. He didn't seem to have great speed to the outside, and he had footing problems a couple of times....
                  -08-13-2004, 02:46 PM
                • RamDez
                  RamView
                  by RamDez
                  RamView, September 2, 2004

From the Couch

Preseason Game #4: Raiders 28, Rams 24

The Rams churn out a lot of ground yardage, but don't do enough on defense to stave off the Raiders.

Bright spots: Good offensive line play all-around; no significant new injuries.

Position by position:

* QB: Marc Bulger played only the first series and was perfect (3-3-66), sandwiching a 46-yard pass to Cam Cleeland within two quick hitters to Marshall Faulk, who scored a 7-yard TD on the last one. Not as much of Bulger as I would have preferred to see, but he ended the Washington game well and was rolling in this one, so I guess he's maintaining positive momentum. Chris Chandler (6-9-85) played the rest of the first half and looked fine, again getting mostly excellent protection. Jeff Smoker played the whole second half, mostly handing off, but he got enough action (10-15-105) to show nice poise on third down, and he drove the offense to a couple of TDs. Jeff's got some mechanics to work out, though. Many of his passes were too low, at the receiver's feet, or too low at the line of scrimmage, where he gave up a couple of tip balls, one of which the Raiders intercepted. His second interception was the game-ending pass, so the two picks aren't as bad as they look at first. Heading into the season opener, then, it looks like Bulger's back into the groove a little bit, and his backups are capable and know what they're doing for the most part – a nice place to be.

* RB: The Ram running game was Hydra-like, a multi-headed threat that scared up 171 yards on the ground. Faulk was just 4-11 but had two catches for 20. The receptions engaged him more in the offense than last week, and he flashed a little more speed and drive than we saw against Washington. Lamar Gordon had his annual "oops, my job is being threatened" night, where he suddenly puts all his aches and pains aside and has a big night, 22-77. Lamar ran with a lot of power and effort behind the solid Rams front, and also had some outside runs where he turned the corner quite well. He's probably the Rams' best outside runner. He foolishly pulled himself off the field at one point for some little ding, though, or maybe a breath, and that was Stephen Jackson's cue. The rookie tore off another 72 yards on 12 carries. He did a lot of his work right up the middle again, and showed not just Gordon's power and effort, but some of Faulk's footwork and elusiveness. Another good night from the team preseason offensive MVP. All the RBs took good care of the ball, too, including Arlen Harris, who added another 19 yards on 6 rushes, as the Rams seem likely to carry all four tailbacks into the regular season. Waiver bait: Dusty McGrorty.

* WR: Marchin' Martz only called pass plays about...
                  -09-04-2004, 01:58 AM
                Working...
                X