Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson Looking For A New Agent...Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Looking For A New Agent...Again?

Jackson Looking For A New Agent...Again?
    By Howard Balzer Friday, August 08, 2008
    Today marks the beginning of the third week of running back Steven Jacksonís absence from training camp. According to multiple reports, there have been no conversations between the Rams and Jacksonís agent, Eugene Parker, since camp opened July 25.

Now, there are rumblings in the agent world that Jackson is putting out feelers to other agents because heís not happy with the direction Parker has taken with the talks (or non-talks). If he changes agents, thereís a five-day waiting period before he can hire someone new. At some point, Jackson has to look in the mirror and honestly assess why he is in this position.

After all, he didnít hire Parker until June after agent Gary Uberstine dropped Jackson as a client in the spring. Rocky Arceneaux was Jacksonís agent when he was drafted, and it is believed he hired Lamont Smith/Peter Schaeffer for a brief time. That means Parker is either Jacksonís third or fourth agent in four years.

It seems obvious that Uberstine knew he was fighting a losing battle, and that Jacksonís head was being filled with bad advice from those close to him, including his sister Rhonda. Itís eye opening that virtually anytime Jacksonís situation is discussed with those that know the situation, the conversation turns to Rhonda with words mumbled and accompanied by rolling of the eyes.

Itís clear what Uberstine was insinuating when he was quoted saying, "I wish him and his sister Rhonda the very best, and I really don't want to go into the factors that went into my decision. I have no doubt that he will soon be the highest-paid running back in football."

What he apparently meant was: ďI know Steven and Rhonda believe he should be the highest-paid running back in football, but I question whether that will happen with the Rams. So, Iím dropping him before he has the chance to fire me.Ē

Itís not known specifically what Jackson is seeking. However, a figure of $20 million guaranteed has been floated publicly. Thatís not an outrageous number, considering Kansas Cityís Larry Johnson got $19 million guaranteed last year as part of a six-year, $45 million contract. Dallas running back Marion Barber will receive $16 million guaranteed in his seven-year, $45 million deal negotiated this year when he was a restricted free agent, while Atlantaís Michael Turner got $15 million guaranteed and $34.5 million over six years.

While Jackson has his reasons for not wanting to report without a new contract (mostly injury related), the reality is that the two sides canít be very far apart. If the Rams were refusing to even discuss a new contract, Jackson might have a point. But, it was the Rams that approached him after the season to say they wanted to take care of him, even though he had a year left on his contract. And, the offer the Rams made on the eve of training camp was very close to Johnsonís in terms of average per year, and included about $18 million in guarantees.

The gap that existed could have been bridged quickly had Jackson reported with the rest of his teammates.

Instead, Jackson is spending his days texting coach Scott Linehan, texting his teammates, and apparently texting other agents. Linehan joked earlier in camp that he was learning the abbreviations of the texting world.

What Jackson should have been doing is texting Parker with a succinct message: GTDDN. Get The Deal Done. Now.

Re: Jackson Looking For A New Agent...Again?

If Jackson is unhappy with the direction Parker has taken the talks, he needs to man up and tell his agent what direction he'd like to go. I'm pretty sure Parker works for Jackson, not the other way around.

That being said, these two paragraphs are interesting in that they shed some more light on negotiations...

Itís not known specifically what Jackson is seeking. However, a figure of $20 million guaranteed has been floated publicly. Thatís not an outrageous number, considering Kansas Cityís Larry Johnson got $19 million guaranteed last year as part of a six-year, $45 million contract. Dallas running back Marion Barber will receive $16 million guaranteed in his seven-year, $45 million deal negotiated this year when he was a restricted free agent, while Atlantaís Michael Turner got $15 million guaranteed and $34.5 million over six years.

While Jackson has his reasons for not wanting to report without a new contract (mostly injury related), the reality is that the two sides canít be very far apart. If the Rams were refusing to even discuss a new contract, Jackson might have a point. But, it was the Rams that approached him after the season to say they wanted to take care of him, even though he had a year left on his contract. And, the offer the Rams made on the eve of training camp was very close to Johnsonís in terms of average per year, and included about $18 million in guarantees.
    So they offered him about $18 million guaranteed, a new and interesting detail.

Michael Turner, who has one start to his name and his best season is one where he rushed for 502 yards on 80 carries, received $15 million guaranteed. Marion Barber, who has never eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark and has never been a feature franchise back in his career, received $16 million guaranteed.

Is Steven Jackson really only $2-3 million better than these two running backs?

Comment

It seems obvious that Uberstine knew he was fighting a losing battle, and that Jacksonís head was being filled with bad advice from those close to him, including his sister Rhonda. Itís eye opening that virtually anytime Jacksonís situation is discussed with those that know the situation, the conversation turns to Rhonda with words mumbled and accompanied by rolling of the eyes.
      Interesting note. Jackson's own responsibility aside, could the villain in this Greek tragedy be, in fact, a villainess?
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
        Interesting note. Jackson's own responsibility aside, could the villain in this Greek tragedy be, in fact, a villainess?
        Very interesting........and disturbing. Getting monetary advise from friends and family is almost always a bad idea. Unless his sister is a trained professional in some negotiating capacity, not a good move by Jackson. Does he really need his sister telling him what to do? Come on Steven, step up and take control of the situation.

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        So they offered him about $18 million guaranteed, a new and interesting detail.

Michael Turner, who has one start to his name and his best season is one where he rushed for 502 yards on 80 carries, received $15 million guaranteed. Marion Barber, who has never eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark and has never been a feature franchise back in his career, received $16 million guaranteed.

Is Steven Jackson really only $2-3 million better than these two running backs?
        We obviously don't see everything that's going on here. Giving Jackson $20 million just seems like a no-brainer. I don't get it. This whole situation is starting to drive me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
          [QUOTEIt seems obvious that Uberstine knew he was fighting a losing battle, and that Jacksonís head was being filled with bad advice from those close to him, including his sister Rhonda. Itís eye opening that virtually anytime Jacksonís situation is discussed with those that know the situation, the conversation turns to Rhonda with words mumbled and accompanied by rolling of the eyes.

Itís clear what Uberstine was insinuating when he was quoted saying, "I wish him and his sister Rhonda the very best, and I really don't want to go into the factors that went into my decision. I have no doubt that he will soon be the highest-paid running back in football."
          Sounds to me like Uberstine actually has a "life" .. Nice to see that not all agents are willing to do just about anything to squeeze the last ounce of blood out of every transaction ..

Comment

Family should never get involved in these things- they're unable to give unbiased advice. Remember what happened when Barry Sanders' father got involved with his contract.
            Last edited by moloch41; -08-08-2008, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
              Sounds to me like Uberstine actually has a "life" .. Nice to see that not all agents are willing to do just about anything to squeeze the last ounce of blood out of every transaction ..
              Excellent point. I agree. Probably not a difficult decision though with Rhonda involved.

Comment

This had been my point all along. the responsibility lies with Jackson (and in this case apparantly based on advice from his sister) to make the decisions, not the agent. $18 million guaranteed is a good faith offer. There is NO justification for a player under contract to hold out when the team is making that kind of competitive good faith offer. I agree the situation might be different if the rams were taking a hard line, but this is just terrible selfish behavior by jackson and i dont blame the rams for holding the line. They have to think about the entire team and its future, they cant allow one player to set this type of precedent when he is under contract.

Back to my theory. Could rhonda care less if jackson is a ram? Could she care less what impact this has on the team? This is NOT the act of a team leader, its the act of a selfish pig, if indeed he was already offered 18 million guaranteed. I am NOT suggesting that jackson should take the 18 mill, i think he is worth more, i am only suggesting that his failure to report (ie his decision to BREACH his contract) is the selfish act under these circumstances.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

For those interested, it appears that SJ's sister, Rhonda Jackson-Pullens, is the Chief Steward for the SEIU Nevada (a health care & public employee union) at the Housing Authority for the City of Las Vegas; and Obama campaigner. As well, her son Deonte is a RB for the University of Idaho.

Big shocker that a union insider is holding up a contract to work.
                  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I really don't understand what Jackson is doing here, I wonder if he has a clear idea of it himself. What's the plan really?

$18 million guaranteed is not outrageously low, I think it is too low personally but a great starting point for further discussions. Why not report to camp and continue the talks based on those numbers? Maybe then the $18 million would have been turned into 20 or 21 or whatever and a deal would have been done already.

I absolutely agree with GC that if the team gives him a good-faith offer and is open to further discussions which everything seems to indicate that they are then the blame falls on Jackson for thumping his nose at the offer and just staying away.

Get in camp and start the negotiations again, holding out like this is BS.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post

Big shocker that a union insider is holding up a contract to work.

More like...big shocker that some meddling *#@* with a hyphenated last name is right in the middle of this STINKING MESS. Jax needs to ask big sis if he can take his cajones outta her purse and return to being a NFL FOOTBALL PLAYER now.
                      "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

Big Bison, given that you have opened the door to political commentary.....

The union organizer wants more money and is holding out WHILE UNDER CONTRACT. I repeat, IN BREACH of the legal obligation to perform.

Can you imagine the union organizers reaction if the team decided to breach by stating "I dont care if you are playing, i refuse to pay you."

Demands are one thing when there is no contract (ie in the union context when the collective bargaining agreement has expired). Totally different situation when there is a contract in place.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Is it possible that Jackson can fire this idiot agent, and can get to camp and negate on his own?

That to me would be impressive and help his reputation, while shopping for a new agent.
                          Last edited by CaliGirlRamsFan; -08-08-2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

The scary scenario is that $18M insulted SJ. And, as asked before, what's he want then? $30M guaranteed?

There is no excuse for not negotiating in good faith with the organization that is planning on centering thier offense around you, and has been trying to redo your contract IN GOOD FAITH. It's time for this tantrum to end.

Another scary thought, could SJ be going through all of this to hide an injury?
                            Semper Fi!

Comment

AS GC's agent, if I get him the Jackson job, does that mean I get a percentage of a percentage of Jackson's contract?

This space for rent...

Comment