Jackson seeks peace with fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson seeks peace with fans

I wonder how the crowd is going to react when SJ comes onto the field saturday?

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/22/2008

Steven Jackson has fresh legs and a fresh contract. Now, he wants a fresh start with Rams fans in St. Louis.

"I do understand everyone has their own opinion," Jackson said Thursday. "But I think if I can continue to play in the manner that I have in the (previous) four years, and stay healthy on the field, I think all will be forgiven.

"A lot of time, we're hard on our loved ones, and I consider my fans my loved ones. So some things I should take back. And I do apologize for my statements for being a little critical of them."

Then, he added with a laugh, "But I do want them to be in the (stands), too."

Re: Jackson seeks peace with fans

Steven jackson Has been Destroyed by some for his Lack of ability to stay on the Field. If he stays on the Field, well I think you know what Im saying. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by schut39 View Post
      I wonder how the crowd is going to react when SJ comes onto the field saturday?

By Jim Thomas
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      08/22/2008

Steven Jackson has fresh legs and a fresh contract. Now, he wants a fresh start with Rams fans in St. Louis.

"I do understand everyone has their own opinion," Jackson said Thursday. "But I think if I can continue to play in the manner that I have in the (previous) four years, and stay healthy on the field, I think all will be forgiven.

"A lot of time, we're hard on our loved ones, and I consider my fans my loved ones. So some things I should take back. And I do apologize for my statements for being a little critical of them."

I like it. Great comment .

Comment

Originally posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
        I like it. Great comment .
        The BEST comment that Jackson could make is NO COMMENT! BUTT on the field
        and teeth firmly clenched to his mouthpiece!

RAM ON!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
          Jackson seeks peace with fans
          by RamWraith
          By Jim Thomas
          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
          08/22/2008

Last year, Jackson criticized Rams fans for selling their tickets to Green Bay and Pittsburgh fans for games at the Edward Jones Dome. Those remarks seemed hypocritical when Jackson was a no-show for the first 27 days of training camp and the preseason.

Jackson will not play in Saturday's preseason game against the visiting Baltimore Ravens. In fact, the Rams have sought a roster exemption for Jackson when they get to the league-mandated 75-man

roster limit Tuesday. (The only way Jackson is exempt is if he doesn't play Saturday.)

Jackson's first appearance before the home fans won't be until the regular-season home opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 14. What kind of reception does Jackson expect from the home fans?

"Definitely mixed reviews," he said. "When you're talking about this kind of money, a lot of people can't really understand why you can turn your back on a contract. Business is business."

Business was very good for Jackson on Thursday. According to league sources, Jackson signed a six-year, $44 million contract. Of that total, just over $20 million is guaranteed, including an $11 million signing bonus.

But the final two years of the contract can be voided by either the Rams or Jackson if Jackson achieves certain performance levels in the first four years. If years No. 5 and 6 are indeed voided, Jackson's contract becomes a four-year deal worth just under $30 million.

As for the approximately $400,000 in fines Jackson has accumulated during his holdout, it will be deducted from his paycheck this season, according to league sources.

Whether the contract length ends up being four years or six, Jackson's deal puts him among the five highest-paid running backs in the NFL. Which is how it should be, said Rams president of football operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt.

"This was one of our priorities for the offseason, to get an extension for Steven Jackson," Zygmunt said. "We believe his skills as a running back and a receiver, and his age (25), really make him one of the elite backs...
          -08-22-2008, 04:32 AM
        • Barry Waller
          Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson
          by Barry Waller
          Now that Steven Jackson is coming in, soon to sign a long term deal with the Rams, fans who were quick to choose sides, mostly because of some stuff Jackson, not known to keep silent about something he feels, said the last couple of years, should get behnd him.

Sure, fans not used to losing are sensitive to what players say, but most of what Jackson said was not really untrue, and the guy has not failed to give 100% on the field and in practice, and is universally respected and liked by his teammates.

He's the face of the franchise, and a guy upon whom the Rams immediate future depends. Yes, he has missed camp and what will be three pre-season games, but he has the same number of carries as LaDainian Tomlinson gets every pre-season.

No fan would even want Jackson to carry the ball in August. Those legs and shoulders need to be 100% when it counts. Jackson is presumably in great shape, and he had his playbook with him, as well as a whole off-season of learning the offense in his head.

If Jackson has a big year, this holdout will soon be forgotten, except by fans who will look for any reason to hate on #39. Those same fans no doubt had no problem welcoming Orlando Pace back after each of his holdouts, which is not equal treatment for all.

Had Jackson stayed out another 48 hours, maybe the opener would have been in jeopardy, but he's in, and should be ready to rock against the Eagles and beyond, if he stays healthy.

Of course, if Jackson gets a leg injury from a 350 pound tackle falling on his knee it will be blamed on the holdout, which is of course nonsense.

What Jackson has missed was PRACTICE, and I kind of agree with Allen Iverson as to the validity of the idea that tons of practice is all that crucial for a star.
          -08-20-2008, 07:47 PM
        • RamWraith
          Rams' Jackson speaks nothing but the truth
          by RamWraith
          By Bryan Burwell
          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
          Sunday, Jun. 22 2008

Everything about Steven Jackson is outsized. He laughs big, he runs big, and
          oh, my goodness, he talks big.

When the Rams' all-pro running back talks, the truth tends to come out of his
          mouth in all of its unfiltered, sometimes uncomfortable glory. I happen to like
          that about him, for what his unsettling words usually lack in diplomacy, they
          more than make up for with disturbing spot-on honesty.

Since arriving in town four years ago, the man with the flowing dreadlocks has
          readily spoken his mind about his playing time, his uneasy coexistence with
          Marshall Faulk, his public image, his desire for greatness and his
          underachieving teammates. Much to the mortification of the team's always
          anxious public relations staff, Jackson has even dared to tread on the
          ultra-sensitive subject of the fickle St. Louis fan base.

So how coincidental was it that in the same week the Rams broke out their new,
          edgy "Bring It!" ticket sales ad campaign

featuring Jackson stomping through a full page in your sports section, the
          outspoken runner was mounting an even more edgy campaign of his own to rouse
          Rams fans out of their '07 malaise.

In an interview with Michael Silver of Yahoo.com, "The Train" brought it hard,
          chiding Rams fans for selling their tickets to Packers and Steelers fans last
          season. ("It was like playing road games," he said. "We ran out of the tunnel
          and got booed. It was ridiculous. I was livid.") If you want to characterize
          that as controversial, feel free. The truth is, what he told Silver is nothing
          we haven't already heard here in St. Louis.

After the Packers game last December, a seething Jackson sat in front of his
          locker stall at the Edward Jones Dome and ripped into the fans. "It's a joke,
          as simple as that," Jackson said, the words spitting out of his mouth in
          disgusted staccato bursts. When someone asked Jackson if at times it felt like
          he was at Lambeau Field, the disgruntled tailback barely let the reporter
          finish the question. "We were at Lambeau Field," he snapped. "The whole first
          level was Green Bay Packer fans. And then we're allowing them to put up signs."

So tell me once again, what did Jackson say that wasn't right on the money
          about the state of pro football in St. Louis?

Later in the Yahoo.com article, Jackson basically said there are plenty of
          reasons why the 2008 season should be worth the price of admission. He said
          because he's in a contract year, he has to produce. He said because the team is
          coming off a disastrous 3-13 season, coach Scott Linehan has to produce....
          -06-22-2008, 07:29 AM
        • ramsbruce
          Seahawk Fans When Is D Jackson Coming Back?
          by ramsbruce
          What week is Darrell Jackson projected to be back playing for the Hawks at WR?
          -11-07-2005, 04:37 PM
        • bruce4life
          with stevie jackson in there...
          by bruce4life
          we are a totally different team with him in there...
          -11-11-2007, 06:01 PM
        Working...
        X