Some analysis of the game tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some analysis of the game tonight...

Nick, pursuant to your request for some perspective on the game tonight, i offer the following. Since it appears to be a popular format, i will use the gordo method of the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good

-Pending anything i didnt see, it looked like we made it through fairly healthy. Jensen sprained an ankle or knee at the end, and cleeland may have been dinged a bit, but he came back in and made several nice catches. I am not sure if goodspeed got dinged as well or was pulled out early with the rest of the starters for precautionary purposes. Big DIsh sat out with the ankle and at the minimum, no one was carried off.
    -Bulger, chandler and smoker all looked solid. Smoker really showed leadership on two td drives in the second half. In his one series, bulger took us down the field for a td, and encouraginly, hit faulk twice on dump offs, including a very nice read for the to. Chandler may have started out as a backup to otto graham, but he can still move pretty well and he never gets happy feet in the pocket
    -Gordon carried the load and was very impressive. Steven Jackson played some, got some holes, and steamrolled guys into the secondary
    -Looker and curtis looked good. No drops out there and some nice bursts
    -The offensive line was competitive, not great, but it is hard to tell since they were playing against backups for a good part of the game. We actually looked better running the ball than we have in a while. Again, backups vs. backups
    -The first string defense had a good second series against kerry collins before it left the field
    -chillar was excellent, and almost destroyed collins on a blitz, causing a fumble.
    -Hargrove was all over the field in the second half, a real speed animal

The bad
    -For the third week in a row i believe, the first string defense gave up a td to start the game. We had three straight chances to stop them on third down and on two of them, we had them stopped short but couldnt make the tackle short of the markers. We have to do a better job stopping the run with the first team, which i view as the key to the season.
    -Two holding penalties on mamilamula and no catches
    -Tommy Polley, playing in garbage time, repeatedly missed tackles. I think he is just running all over the field, undisciplined, and frankly, wont be surprised if he is traded for a pick by sunday, maybe to lovie and the bears. I doubt he has any real future with the team, and his attitude is a question mark

The ugly

-Terrible call by the ref who missed the raider receiver pushing off for a td right in front of his face
    -Not that it really matters, but it would have been nice to have not allowed the raiders to go down the field and score a td to win the game in the last two minutes. Our backup secondary was flatout lousy in my view, but keep in mind, that we are shorthanded to start and groce and knight didnt play
    -the 60 yard td through the middle of the defense in the second quarter was very ugly. The raider guy looked like carl lewis running by our guys.

On the whole, i think we are reasonably ready for the season. We need pace pack, and i am confident he will play next week. i think dishman will start at guard, and i believe that dishman is an upgrade from mccollom at guard, even if mccollom is a downgrade from a healthy wohlabaugh at center. It will take the line some time to pull it together, but i think the offense will be just fine. The key to the season will be our ability to stay healthy and stop the run on defense.

I am sick of seattle, seattle, seattle. Bring it on. They have as many problems on defense as we do and I dont see walter jones' fat ass anywhere near their camp either.

ramming speed to all and i hope this was helpful nick

general counsel

Re: Some analysis of the game tonight...

Good review, GC! Thanks!

Comment

Great analysis, GC. Thanks.
      But I will have to disagree on one statement...
      Originally posted by GC
      mccollom is a downgrade from a healthy wohlabaugh at center
      I don't think Wohlabaugh ever completely grasped the blocking schemes as McCollum does. Wohlabaugh may be a better center physically, but McCollum's mental advantage outweighed the physical skills that Wohlabaugh brought to the table, IMHO.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

HUbison, i agree with your view. My comment was based on an assumption, which i should have made clear, that with a full year of the offense under his belt, wohlabaugh would have improved dramatically on the line calls and his knowledge of the blocking schemes this year. I hope wohlabaugh is doing well, i would hate to be 31 years old and unable to practice my chosen profession for the rest of my life, let alone unable to squat down without significant pain.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel
          HUbison, i agree with your view. My comment was based on an assumption, which i should have made clear, that with a full year of the offense under his belt, wohlabaugh would have improved dramatically on the line calls and his knowledge of the blocking schemes this year. I hope wohlabaugh is doing well, i would hate to be 31 years old and unable to practice my chosen profession for the rest of my life, let alone unable to squat down without significant pain.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
          Ah, I see what you're saying, GC. Good point.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

For the ugly part, I would have added the tackling by our first unit. The Raiders should never have been able to score that TD (by the way the Skins only got a field goal on their opening drive), but too many tackles were missed. Great report counsel, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X