X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz hits another low

Look at this crap. I am not sure about this guy some days

From NFL.com newswire:

Rams coach Mike Martz said he thought his team trailed by only three points in the waning seconds, so he called for a sideline pattern with 9 seconds left to set up a field goal, instead of going for the end zone on the next-to-last play of the game.

"I can't believe I was yelling for a field goal," he said. "That was the dumbest thing I've ever done as a football coach."

Martz thought he saw Oakland bobble the ball on the point after and thought the Raiders missed it.

"Smoker yelled at me, 'Hey, coach, we're down by four!"' Martz said. "Can you imagine Jeff Smoker telling me what the score was?"

Re: Martz hits another low

One minute to Wapner.
    This space for rent...

Comment

Okay, that's pretty dumb.

But it also brings up an interesting characteristic of Martz. He's extremely candid. Most coaches would have kept such a gaffe to themselves. Martz readily acknowledges what he did.

Comment

Ok, maybe Ramtime is right.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
          Okay, that's pretty dumb.

But it also brings up an interesting characteristic of Martz. He's extremely candid. Most coaches would have kept such a gaffe to themselves. Martz readily acknowledges what he did.
          Maybe he should have.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I have to agree...

As much as like Martz and like his offensive genius, this is something that I probably wouldn't have brought up to the media.

Comment

Hell, I like the guy even more.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
                Most coaches would have kept such a gaffe to themselves. Martz readily acknowledges what he did.
                Oh. That makes me feel a whole lot better.

Comment

Like Tom Petty would say- I'll probably feel a whole lot better when he's gone! :tongue:

Comment

Yes he is very "candid" as well as being very MORONIC(clock/game management),GUTLESS(see last years PLAYOFF GAME) and THICK HEADED(repeat MORONIC year after YEAR). All reasons why he is NEVER mentioned among the NFLs BEST coaches.
                    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

This is a pretty moronic move, but you have to wonder why someone like Fairchild wasn't in his ear about what was going on. And again, better it happen in the preseason than a regular season game. I think our primary concern was getting out of there without any major injuries, and it looked like we accomplished that.

However, it would be interesting to hear how many people would continue to say how much they dislike Martz if he actually left and the Rams entered into a 4-5 year streak of consectutive losing seasons. It's almost as if people need a bitter reminder of what it's like to not be on the successful side of football to appreciate the kind of results Martz is able to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by theodus69
                        Like Tom Petty would say- I'll probably feel a whole lot better when he's gone! :tongue:
                        Actually, that was a cover of an old song by The Birds.

Comment

This is a pretty moronic move, but you have to wonder why someone like Fairchild wasn't in his ear about what was going on.
                          Good point Nick. Wasn't this the year Martz was going to rely more on his staff and give up some responsibilities? The sideline has got to keep their heads in the game. I hope Martz is open to suggestions during games because it is indeed sad when a rookie quarterback is the only guy on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
                            And again, better it happen in the preseason than a regular season game.
                            I see your point. But I'm not sure you see the troubling trend of sMartz game mismanagement. Another 2 minute drill hampered by no decision, indecision, or poor decision. Some display of thinking on one's feet, in real-time, with the pressure of clock management staring one in the face ...

Comment

Geez, what can I say that I have not said before..........?

Business as usual ........

:ramlogo:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                Oops! Martz still wincing after goof at end of game
                                by RamWraith
                                09/03/2004
                                Mike Martz knows well how preseason games sharpen player focus and help them purge mistakes before the games that matter. And with a blush of embarrassment Friday, the Rams coach conceded how exhibition games can even expose goofs of his own.

On Thursday night in the Rams' preseason finale at Oakland, Martz watched the Raiders take a 27-24 lead with 38 seconds left when third-string quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo hit Alvis Whitted for his second TD reception of the game.

On the extra-point try, Martz -- angry that Oakland had scored -- saw the holder drop the ball and looked away, never seeing Sebastian Janikowski boot the ball through the uprights to push the margin to four points.

"I saw the kick, and the kick to me looked like it went off to the left, and I turned," Martz said. "I just kind of thought they missed it, and `Good, we'll get down there and tie it up.'

"Just like a knucklehead, I didn't look at the scoreboard and made the assumption" the Rams were just down by three.

Behind third-string quarterback Jeff Smoker, the Rams marched downfield. At Martz's behest, Smoker threw a sideline pass -- a 10-yard completion that put St. Louis at the Oakland 34 with 9 seconds left -- to set up a possible field goal.

A field goal, with St. Louis down by four?

"Smoker came over and the look on his face was, `What, are you nuts?"' Martz said. "Then I realized I was screwed up, and we threw it in the end zone."

Smoker's desperation pass into the end zone was intercepted as time expired.

Moments later, Martz came clean about his lapse and called it "the dumbest thing I've ever done as a football coach," asking "Can you imagine Jeff Smoker telling me what the score was?"

The next day, Martz still winced about being asked to retell it all.

"It's hard for me to stand here in front of you today and admit to that," he said, his face turning red. "I could have kept it quiet, but I'm just being very honest with you."

So why admit it in the first place, a reporter asked.

"Well, it happened. It's the truth, isn't it?" Martz replied politely, his voice quieting. "Sometimes the truth does hurt."

By Friday, Martz was lamenting that the goof was "getting a lot more attention than I want it to get."

"I think in a regular-season game I'm a little bit more tuned in, maybe," he said.

Martz expects to prove that Sept. 12, when the Rams open the regular season at home against Arizona.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                -09-03-2004, 05:33 PM
                              • LaRamsFanLongTime
                                Martz earns a little respect
                                by LaRamsFanLongTime
                                “That’s coaching,” coach Mike Martz said. “That’s poor play selection on my part, pure and simple. You get down there and don’t score a touchdown…The old coach didn’t do a real good job in this one.”

-Martz on the red zone troubles

I respect a man that could admit his faults I might actually be becoming a Martz fan.
                                -09-13-2005, 01:33 AM
                              • GasBag
                                How long before Martz ruins Rams?
                                by GasBag
                                Forum rules:

"By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

You might consider this as obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws, but is intended as a legitimate question for those that care the most about the Rams.

How long will you allow Martz to run down the Rams before you insist he be fired?
                                -09-07-2001, 08:04 AM
                              • BigGameMN
                                Fire Martz -- or stay out of his way
                                by BigGameMN
                                Terrific article on Martz and the turmoil in Detroit

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/i...370.xml&coll=6...
                                -11-21-2007, 12:06 AM
                              • Nick
                                Martz bashers now have proof: He doesn't know the score
                                by Nick
                                Martz bashers now have proof: He doesn't know the score
                                BY JEFF GORDON
                                Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
                                09/03/2004

I believe we all like a little self-deprecating humor in our coaches. In a field of know-it-alls and Inventors of the Sport, the ability to mock oneself is an endearing quality.

We can only take so much of the Bill Walshs and Marty Schottenheimers of the world.

However, I'd like to use this corner of cyberspace to give Rams coach Mike Martz a little advice.

Never, never, NEVER come clean during a post-game news conference. Never admit to a lapse in your cognitive powers.

Never admit you didn't know what the score was in the last minute of a game.

You know how some citizens of Rams Nation are. They doubt Martz as a head coach and disparage his game management skills. They bristle every time he burns his timeouts, as he did in the second half of the Raiders game.

They hang on his every word, waiting for him to make an incriminating statement or use an improper tone of voice. There are folks who walk around town muttering one of Martz's favorite lines, "Shoot, we'll fix that," under their breaths.

As veteran talk show host Howard Balzer noted on 1380 ESPN Friday morning, Martz should NOT have made a confession after Thursday night's 28-24 loss at Oakland.

He admitted ordering Jeff Smoker to throw a sideline pass with nine seconds left, even though the Rams needed to get in the end zone.

"I can't believe I was yelling for a field goal," Martz told reporters. "That was the dumbest thing I've ever done as a football coach."

Oh, boy. You don't want to get Rams fans going down that road.

That was tantamount to throwing out a three-hour radio call-in topic. That was like throwing fresh hamburger into the shark tank. Fans will be eager to respond to that assertion.

"Smoker was yelling at me, 'Hey coach, we're down by four!'" Martz continued. "Can you imagine Jeff Smoker telling me what the score was?"

Everybody at once: YES!

Now I'm a pretty big Mike Martz fan. He inherited outstanding talent from Dick Vermeil, but he also had to rebuild an atrocious defense.

He has accomplished plenty on his own, including winning an NFC Championship and reaching postseason play three times.

The NFL is a tough place to coach, as Steve Spurrier would tell you. Rams fans tend not to give Mad Mike all the credit he deserves.

But Martz DOES do some goofy things. He seems to become immersed in his scripted play chart, to the point of becoming impervious to all the drama swirling around him.

When asked to comment on such-and-such an incident on the sidelines, Martz often has no idea what reporters...
                                -09-03-2004, 05:19 PM
                              Working...
                              X