Rams being lead by a Defensive Coordinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams being lead by a Defensive Coordinator

With Haslett being our new headcoach taking into consideration his past headcoaching experience but more so his defensive background. I pose the question. Who was our last headcoach with a defensive background? Seems like it's been a long time since we've hired a defensive minded coach to take the reins of our team.
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Re: Rams being lead by a Defensive Coordinator

Wasn't Rich Brooks a DC for somebody after the Rams fired him???

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
      With Haslett being our new headcoach taking into consideration his past headcoaching experience but more so his defensive background. I pose the question. Who was our last headcoach with a defensive background? Seems like it's been a long time since we've hired a defensive minded coach to take the reins of our team.
      Rich Brooks was a defensive minded coach.

Comment

Originally posted by PARamfan View Post
        Wasn't Rich Brooks a DC for somebody after the Rams fired him???
        Hmm. Why didn't I think of Brooks?

Comment

I am befuddled by the choice, personally.

It's not like our defense has been doing noticeably well. Granted they seem to be improving, but....

I guess all we can do is improve!?!?
          RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

Mike Martz was completely defensive-minded. He was also big on ball control offense, precision time management, and only challanging plays when it was abosolutely obvious that it would be overturned.

Comment

Originally posted by moloch41 View Post
              Mike Martz was completely defensive-minded. He was also big on ball control offense, precision time management, and only challanging plays when it was abosolutely obvious that it would be overturned.
              okay, okay, I'm still laughing over that one moloch. Would have rep'd U but have to spread it around.

What was the question again? ...Oh yeah, "Seems like it's been a long time since we've hired a defensive minded coach to take the reins of our team.".

Defensive-minded coach? Defensive minded coach.... let's see.....
              ...Oh, you're not talking about Haslett? No, really, what "defensive minded" coach are you talking about? ...really. ...come on, stop joking.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Can't think of one myself. But Hasslett at least has leadership skills--something sorely needed. In order to be a DC, you have to inspire your defense to put a 100% effort all the time (or true too anyway). The offense has the advantage of knowing where they intend to go with the ball and forces the defense to react.

The state of the Rams defense ought to have been a clue to its weakness when then DC Lovie Smith had to resort to a bend but do-not break style of D. Now he runs an attack style defence over in Chicago.

At least a DC knows an opponents defense and ought to know what plays they are vunerable too. It will be interesting to see how the Rams play the Cowboys

Comment

I believe that would be Malavasi.

The guy who replaced Allen .

The last time The Rams changed HC during a season.

Led The Rams to their first Superbowl.

Fu%#$g Bradshaw.

How old are you guys, anyway?

Comment

Don't you guys remember John Robinson,

Comment

Originally posted by Azul e Oro View Post
                      I believe that would be Malavasi.

The guy who replaced Allen .

The last time The Rams changed HC during a season.

Led The Rams to their first Superbowl.

Fu%#$g Bradshaw.

How old are you guys, anyway?
                      dont believe the season was in process..when Dan Reeves gave Coach Allen the call...

Comment

Originally posted by jjigga3000 View Post
                        Don't you guys remember John Robinson,
                        sure i remember him,great coach of the trojans as well as the rams(tho perhaps not so great with us)..offensive guy tho..

Comment

Granted, Ramblin' Ram. During preseason, I believe.

What a great team that was...sigh, Still, Ray M was a DC & he led The Rams to the NFC title game that year & then The SB,no?

The Youngbloods,Fred Dryer,Cullen Bryant...so many memories.

Wasn't Klosterman still the GM?

My late father used to talk about The Duke of Del Rey.

What would the Eighties have been with Klosterman & Steve Rosenbloom in the FO ? Bet they'd have given The Whiners a run for their money.

Suffice it to say, there was never much said in our house about Georgia that could be repeated in mixed company.

Comment

Since you are counting Haslett as a defensive head coach for the Rams, being he is interim, then we are forgetting about our last interim head coach, Joe "I chew gum" Vitt. Linebackers coach and asst. coach who took over after martz got "ill" in 2005.

Comment

Since the Rams organization has taken great pains to say , per the St Louis media, that the word "interim" isn't part of the deal,albeit at Haz's insistence & maybe they're just humoring him,so I don't think Vitt's brief stint in the hotseat counts.

Vitt was clearly a caretaker but I get the impression that it is Haslett's job to lose.

Not saying it's a good thing, just sayin'...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• LaRamsFanLongTime
                                Offensive Coordinator????
                                by LaRamsFanLongTime
                                That is who we hire as the head coach??? Just please tell me he is getting one hell of defensive coordinator.
                                -01-19-2006, 02:04 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Singletary rumored for defensive coordinator job
                                by RamWraith
                                January 20, 2005 12:03 PM ET

The News
                                New *****' head coach Mike Nolan is rumored to be interested in hiring Mike Singletary to serve as the team's defensive coordinator. Nolan and Singletary worked together while serving under Ravens' head coach Brian Billick. Nolan still intends to meet with the remaining members of former head coach Dennis Erickson's staff to determine which, if any, will remain with the team.
                                Our View
                                Nolan is leading the charge to find a new general manager, as well fill the vacant offensive and defensive coordinator positions. The rumored candidates for the general manager position are former Titans' executive Jeff Diamond, Ravens' general manager Ozzie Newsome, and former *****' offensive lineman Randy Cross. No serious candidates have been mentioned for the offensive coordinator job.
                                -01-21-2005, 06:20 AM
                              • Stone Cold Tavon Austin
                                No defensive coordinator?
                                by Stone Cold Tavon Austin
                                I know this may seem a tad harsh and rash, but last year we had less talent and through 3 games we seem like the old rams we all know. It is odd that the year we have no coordinator at all besides a joint one (few coaches input) we are one of the leagues best. The year we get an actual coordinator we are garbage.......So with that in mind is it time to fire our coordinator and go back to what we had last season?
                                -09-22-2013, 01:26 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Defensive coordinator search will now begin
                                by RamWraith
                                Team has already contacted Jim Bates
                                BY STEVE KORTE
                                News-Democrat
                                ST. LOUIS - Newly hired St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan said hiring a defensive coordinator is his top priority.

"In my mind, there is no one person who is more important than another, but he is the most important priority right now," Linehan said of finding the right defensive coordinator. "Once we get the coordinators done, I'd like to address a couple of other positions. It won't take long, but we'll do the due diligence to get the right people."

Linehan has contacted former Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates, 59, about being his defensive coordinator.

Last season, Bates took over a Packers defense that ranked 25th among the NFL's 32 teams in 2004, and restored it to respectability.

The Packers ranked seventh in total defense last season despite being put in a lot of bad situations by offense and special teams units that led the NFL in turnovers with 45.

Other potential defensive coordinators include former Minnesota defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, former Buffalo defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, former New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, former New Orleans head coach Jim Haslett and former Houston head coach Dom Capers.

Linehan said having a defensive coordinator who has been a head coach in the NFL would be a plus, but not a requirement.

"That's always a benefit, but that's not the No. 1 criteria to him being an effective coordinator," Linehan said.

Linehan said that a coach's preferred defensive scheme will be a factor in the hiring process for a defensive coordinator, but it will not be the most important factor.

"When you're looking at any kind of personnel, whether it is a player or a coach, you want to get the best," Linehan said. "There is a lot of things that factor into being the best. Competency for one. Is he going to fit in with the staff, and is the chemistry going to be good? I think those things all have to factor in as well as whether it is a 3-4 or 4-3 or a 5-2-4. (alignment)."

As an offensive coach, Linehan knows that it's important for him to have a strong defensive coordinator. He also plans on letting the defensive coordinator handle the defensive coaching.

"The reason you hire coaches is so that they can do the job you hire them for," Linehan said. "I'm going to be involved just so I'm informed. I'm not going to be one of those guys who is sitting here saying, 'Hey (use) this blitz and I really think you should play corners with bump in this situation."'

Though he'll call the offensive plays, Linehan said he would hire an offensive coordinator so that he doesn't have to spend all of his time with the Rams' offense.

"I will have a very...
                                -01-21-2006, 09:10 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Rams hire Olson as offensive coordinator
                                by RamWraith
                                BY STEVE KORTE
                                News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - Greg Olson, the quarterbacks coach for the Detroit Lions for the past two years, has been hired to be the St. Louis Rams' offensive coordinator.

Olson and new Rams coach Scott Linehan, who will call the Rams' offensive plays, come from the same coaching tree.

Olson, 42, served with John L. Smith and Dennis Erickson at Washington State from 1987-89, while Linehan played under Erickson at the University of Idaho and was hired by Smith three times in his career, 1989 and 1992 at the University of Idaho and 1998 at the Unversity of Louisville.

During his career, Olson has tutored such notable quarterbacks as Jeff Garcia (San Francisco), Drew Brees (University of Purdue), Jon Kitna (Central Washington) and Rex Grossman (Chicago Bears).

Olson played quarterback at Central Washington from 1983-84. His wife, Lissa, was the head track and field coach for both the men's and women's programs at Purdue University from 2001-04.

It appears that the Rams' focus in their search for the defensive coordinator has switched from former Green Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates to former New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett.

Haslett, 50, was fired earlier this month after six seasons as the Saints' coach. He had 45-51 record with the Saints, who were 3-13 during a 2005 season that was overshadowed by the devastation wrecked on their home city by Hurricane Katrina.

Haslett led the Saints to their first-ever playoff victory -- a 31-28 win over the Rams on Dec. 30, 2000, in an NFC Wildcard game played at the Superdome.

Prior to becoming the Saints' head coach, Haslett served a three-year stint as the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Bates had been considered the Rams' top choice for defensive coordinator, but he reportedly turned down a contract offer from the Rams for more than $1 million a year.

The Rams have a sticky situation with Bates because it'd be impossible to justify paying him more or almost as much as Linehan, who is believed to be making slightly under $2 million per year.

The once-deep pool of defensive coordinator candidates has gotten a little shallower in recent days.

Dick Jauron, who was hired as the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and Dom Capers, who was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins, were both scrated off the list of potential Rams hires.

Other available defensive coordinators include former Minnesota defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, former Buffalo defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and former New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

Linehan is currently in Miami cleaning out his old office as offensive coordinator with the Dolphins.

The Rams will retain the services of wide recievers coach Henry Ellard...
                                -01-24-2006, 05:13 AM
                              Working...
                              X