X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz on the Mike

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Monday, September 6, 2004

(On T Orlando Pace being back at practice)
    “We’re all excited to have Orlando back, and I know he feels good about being back also. It’s a relief to have him here, we’re all just very pleased he’s here and we can get going.”

(On Orlando Pace’s physical condition)
    “He came into camp this year 16 pounds lighter than he did last year. He’s obviously trained very well, and he’s prepared himself to come to camp. Watching him out here at practice, he’s a little rusty with some things, but he’s a pretty unique individual.”

(On if four practices is enough to get Orlando Pace ready for the game)
    “I guess it will have to be. We haven’t changed what we do, the calls or terms or anything. Some of the things that we do, in terms of protection, he’s just has to get use to it. We’ve been doing the same thing all these years, it hasn’t changed, so it’s not like he just got here and is learning the offense.”

(On signing S Zack Bronson)
    “We’ve been interested in him for quite some time. We we’re interested last June and we’ve maintained our interest. Fortunately, Jay (Zygmunt) was able to get something done. He’s a veteran that’s played at a high level for a long time in our division. I’m excited about having him, I think he brings a great deal to us. Last year he had three injuries, and kind of struggled a little bit, but he’s healthy now. Up until that point, he played at a very high level. He’s a guy that is going to have to get back in shape also. Obviously, we’re not asking him to come in and start right now, but within a short period of time, I think he should be in the swing of things. He’s been here through the weekend, studying the playbook, he’s a sharp guy, and very professional. We’re happy to have him.

On if experience was necessary to bring in someone at this point of the season)
    “The experience is necessary. You can’t have too many young guys back there. These guys are back there making calls, and (Zack Bronson) has played and seen just about everything. With Zack, Aeneas (Williams), (Rich) Coady, and (Adam) Archuleta back there, you have four veteran safeties back there. And with young corners, that’s important.”

(On if carrying a lot of young players is now the norm in the NFL)
    “I think it is. Unfortunately, you can’t afford to hold on to some of these guys. You lose them and you need to replace them constantly. You try to keep, what you think, are the core players. It’s just the way the league is, and everybody is in the same boat.”

(On being pleased with the draft class so far)
    “I think (I’ve been pleased). There have been a couple surprises. Obviously Steven (Jackson) has made a very big impact in the preseason. Probably, better than I even anticipated. (Brandon) Chillar (and Jackson) have had the biggest impact, and the rest of those guys should be fine.”

(On opening the season at home)
    “It seems so long ago that we did open up at home. It was the Monday Night Football game against the Broncos (in 2000). That was my first game as coach, so it has been a long time. I think it does make a difference.”

(On RB Marshall Faulk’s motivation)
    “I think when you are a competitor and a world class athlete like Marshall is, I think anytime you have someone behind, it helps. But that’s not his motivation. He plays to his own standard, and I think he has himself ready to go this year. I thought he had a great preseason.”

(On if it is noticeable around the office that the regular season is about to start)
    “There is a different demeanor around everyone, like a sense of urgency. But today is such a busy day with all of the personnel moves that go on. We’ll settle into this thing more on Wednesday, but there’s always a transition period like that. But, you can feel that.”

(On expanding the practice squad)
    “I was in favor of expanding the practice squad. If you use it right, it can really help you. You can bring guys up instead of having to go out and find someone in free agency. It allows you to develop people to replace guys you are going to lose. If you lose a guy after four years, then you have a guy on the practice squad who you think can come right in and play. I think it’s very important. For those guys on the practice squad, if you don’t think the have a chance to play one day, then they don’t belong here.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, November 10, 2004

(On CB Travis Fisher)
    “He got them fixed (his teeth). I think he got braces, and I think they wired it together. He’s fine. He can play, and he can practice. He’s in pain obviously, but there’s nothing wrong with his legs.”

(On T Scott Tercero)
    “He’s got that shoulder issue that just pops out a little bit, actually a lot. He just continues to play. But he’s okay. You kind of have to probably keep him at a guard because it’s better suited for that shoulder than at tackle.”

(On the NFC race being within a game or two of each other)
    “They understand that, and we’ve talked about that. It’s way past that at this point; I’m not worried about that. I’m not happy with how we’re playing period, regardless of a division race or anything else. I think the way we’ve played in the last two games is embarrassing. Not so much whether you win or lose a game, just the way we play the game period. We’re going to do everything we can to rectify that.”

(On if practice will be different)
    “I don’t know. That’s family business. What we do in practice, and how we change things is something I normally don’t talk about.”

(On getting energized by looking at the Seattle tape from last game)
    “I don’t need to look at a tape to get energized. Not me. I don’t have to look at a tape to go to a happy place to get energized. That’s just not who I am.”

(On the offensive line)
    “We made our corrections. That is the exception to the rule with that group. I’ve been very pleased with that group overall most of the year. That was not one of our better performances. I wouldn’t single them out. I think as a football team we haven’t played well, period, and we haven’t coached well obviously. Otherwise we would play better. We can do something about all of those things.”

(On any personnel changes)
    “Right now there isn’t any significant. We’ll see as the week goes on though.”

(On doing something different in practice to get the intensity level up)
    “I would expect us to come out and compete better, as a football team. We have a core of guys that you can hang your hat on. You can get them up in the middle of the night and go out and practice them, and you can get all they’ve got. Now what we’re trying to do is to get them to get the rest of the guys up to that level. We were there for awhile, and we’ve fallen off a little bit in a couple of key areas. This is not about ability, never has been and never will be. Everybody in this league has the ability to play. Everybody is talented, everybody fast, everybody is big, and everybody is strong. If you think that is the difference, then you’re sorely mistaken. This is purely a game of attitude.”
    -11-11-2004, 06:46 AM
  • Nick
    Martz on the Mike - 7/30
    by Nick
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, July 30, 2004

(On the increased spirit and contact of this morning’s practice)
    “Yeah, that’s what this game’s about, a lot of contact. Especially for the young players, they have to learn the speed and collision part of this game and for the guys that have been around awhile we keep them protected from those environments. Still, in those nine-on-seven periods it is time to get things rolling pretty well. It’s an attitude and we feel like we’ve answered some personnel questions and now it’s time to get them in the right spot and get them physical.”

(On live, contact session)
    “We’ve done it the last few years. When you have young lineman on both sides of the ball and a rookie linebacker and a new fullback you want to see how well they compete. The adrenaline is flowing, the butterflies are there, and you know everyone is watching. I think it’s very healthy and you get to see how guys respond.”

(On RB Lamar Gordon’s improvement)
    “I think he’s done a good job. So far in the last five practices it would appear that he’s a little bit better with each practice. He still has a way to go and he’s making the right progress. He’s taken on the new challenge.”

(On keeping Gordon healthy)
    “You can’t worry about that. I know what you’re saying, but you can’t go into practice or a game worrying about a guy’s health. You just go into practice and play him and whatever happens happens. The warm can turn so to speak. We’ll see what happens.”

(On the importance of veteran players)
    “I think they know how to respond in so many different situations, particularly as the season gets going. When thing are a little difficult with practices out here and being tired, they know how to respond. They know how to respond. They’ve been here before. The encouragement from those guys that we’re going the right direction is always healthy.”

(On QB Marc Bulger)
    “I’m very pleased with Marc, very pleased. He’s been consistently very good.”

(On the lack of quarterback controversy regarding Bulger)
    “You’ll have to ask him. I know that he has markedly improved from a year ago in terms of the speed of seeing things and getting the ball to the right guy. There’s no hesitation, everything’s accurate, and he’s running the team. It’s all been good.

(On G Ryan Schau’s early departure from practice)
    “His back just cramped up on him. That’s all. A lot of times these guys are not ready for football condition. They’re in weight room condition, but not in football shape yet.”

(On RB Joey Goodspeed)
    “He might be the best fullback we’ve had. I’m very confident about that. I’m very very high on Joey. He’s not going to ever come out here and practice poorly or have a bad day or make mental mistakes. He’s smart and physical. He’s a pro. He’s what...
    -07-30-2004, 07:31 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    http://stlouisrams.com/article/44967/
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, August 27, 2004

(On having practice outdoors)
    “It was a change of pace. It was good to get them outdoors and move around a little bit. That’s what these fields are for. We haven’t been on them for about four months, or whatever it has been.”

(On how the offensive line is progressing)
    “Good. I’m very pleased with the progress of G (Scott) Tercero and G Chris Dishman. We know our center and right guard are stellar performers. T Grant Williams is now on the mend, and he was really having a terrific camp. Those guys are solid and I’m very pleased with that. We are a little thin right now, particularly in experience. We’ll be fine.”

(On T Grant Williams’ injury)
    “He has so much scar tissue from the surgery that every now and again he tweeks it. When that happens, from the way they explained it to me, sometimes it scares you. His biggest (problem) is not so much the pain, but keeping (his ankle) strong. I think he feels much better now than he did a week ago.”

(On how G Tom Nütten has been playing)
    “Tommy had a nice practice yesterday and I think he’s coming back into it really well. I think a little faster than he anticipated. His stuff is coming back to him pretty good, He needs to play here. We’ll get him in there and let him play.”

(On G Adam Timmerman)
    “He has had such a great camp, we are going to try to back off of him as much as we can, within reason. He still needs to get some reps in. I think (he will be ready to play) on Friday night.”

(On DT Damione Lewis and DT Ryan Pickett)
    “They have had a real solid camp, particularly D-Lew (Damione Lewis) at times up there in Macomb, has really flashed on us. Hopefully that will emerge in the season.”

(On the battle for the starting right defensive end)
    “It is very competitive. I think Bryce Fisher, right now, would be considered the starter. But when you look at the other two guys, and I would include (Anthony) Hargrove in there too, as he grows and matures with this defense and at his position I think he will be someone to contend. And of course Erik (Flowers) can go from side to side, and Tyoka (Jackson) can move back inside. The way we play our defensive ends, and the inside guys, we roll those guys. (Defensive line coach) Bill (Kollar) keeps those guys as fresh as he can. So they all play. It’s not like one guy is going to play 80 percent of the snaps. We don’t do that.”

(On what he wants to see out of the team on a short week)
    “The biggest thing is, I want the ones to be sharp. Obviously, that is not what we did on Monday night. We did do that in the opener. I felt real good about our first group in there. And continue to take a look at some of these guys in the second half because we are going to have to make some hard decisions. When the first...
    -08-27-2004, 10:34 AM
  • RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamWraith
    Thursday, July 28, 2005

(On the first practice of 2005 training camp)
    “I think the effort is terrific. There is no question about it. Anytime you put pads on, you come in and are running around in this you feel like you are underwater, if you’ve ever been there. You’re a little bit slower. The effort is great. The focus is great. That’s all you can ask for. We’re going to get a lot better than that each practice, but I’m very pleased.”

(On why RB Steven Jackson and Marshall Faulk were the only players in gold jerseys)
    “Ask Marshall. He’ll be happy to talk to you about it. No, he’s not very happy about his. We’re going to put these guys in the gold jerseys. You get into situations, especially the scout teams, where guys are flying around and bumping into guys. We want them to understand to just to tag up on these guys or to actually touch-up on these guys. Tag-off means you come up and you thump them. Touch-off means that you come up and you touch them. We know what they are. They need to get their run reads down and their acceleration and all of those kinds of things and the contact will come in the preseason.“

(On the new linebackers, Dexter Coakley and Chris Claiborne)
    “Well, the depth issue primarily. We went through that last year. You lose a guy and your fourth linebacker has to pick up for two and three. When you don’t have to do that when something happens form an injury standpoint that guy is a lot more familiar for the position. In the past if you have three or four linebackers that you feel are game ready that’s pretty good. I think we have more that that this year, hopefully. I think the competitive situation makes the first guy a lot better.”

(On whether he thinks the running game will get back up near 5 yards per carry)
    “I think with both of them back, and in general, that will be the case, but particularly with Steven (Jackson) that will be the case. We’ve retooled a lot of what we are doing in that running game from a personnel standpoint. It’s going to be a brand new factor in our offensive effort in a major way.”

(On whether Tom Nütten’s return was expected)
    “I talked to Tommy last June. I called him and gave him the opportunity, and said that if he still wants to play, if he expressed interest and wanted to play again. He’s had that toe reconstruction now, and you’re going to have to get yourself ready to play through-out the summer and then we’ll come in and get a physical and if things look good and you’re up to speed weight-wise, and he’s up to 300, 305. So it looks good. We’ll have to be concerned about his toe, but if we have to come in and nurse him along then it’s not worth it for him either.”

(On the acquisition of Corey Ivy)
    “Particularly [with] Corey [Ivy], here is a guy that played special teams at a high level and has played in the secondary some. You know when...
    -07-29-2005, 05:36 AM
  • RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “We’re making progress, we have a long way to go. Efforts terrific but as we all know efforts not enough. So we have to do things right, and that’s what we’re here for. We’re going in the right direction, I’m pleased with the effort, after the first day there’s not a whole lot to tell you.”

(On where to begin in training camp)
    “We always repeat, when we were allowed to have two mini-camps, you just keep recycling things. We start off today just the same way we start off in mini-camp, same plays and same defense, all that stuff is the same. So they get reacquainted with the basics and the base of what we do, and then you begin to move on.”

(On the new practice schedule)
    “To evaluate the effect of that will take some time. The way the practice is structured isn’t just for one day, it’s over a long haul. It allows these guys to recover in the afternoons. Because they’re not so tired in the afternoon they should be sharp. In the morning it’s a little bit cooler weather, and being in the morning they should be a little bit sharper. That’s kind of the logic behind it.”

(On the different options at defensive end)
    “I know there’s a lot of concern, there’s a lot of emotional attachment to Grant (Wistrom) and he’s played so well for us for so many years we all thought that he was going to end his career here, as a Ram, he didn’t, it didn’t workout that way. On the other side of the coin, there’s six guys out there on the defensive end, on the left and right side, that you would be happy with lining up and playing with, I can safely say that. So whoever lines up at right defensive end, that’s who he is, and I’m sure whoever that is he will play very well.”
    (On moving Nick Burley to tight end)
    “One of the things, probably, he is a little slight in build, when you look at the numbers. He might make the roster, he might not. I think he has a terrific chance because just watching him catch the ball and run, his attitude is a little bit like we did with Robbie (Thomas). He (Robert Thomas) took to it. He learned it very well and it came easy to him. (Nick Burley) will have to adjust to some of the stuff in pads, being the hitter instead of the hitee, which always happens when you go from offense to defense and visa-versa. But for a guy who comes out with the right frame of mind and is an athlete like he is, he’s got a real chance to show himself. He’s a long ways away. It’s a bit of project here in the first few weeks until he gets things squared up, but he should be alright.”

(On if Nick Burley played tight end at the off-season workouts)
    “He was there in OTA’s (organized team activities). We moved him early, when we thought he had a chance there. There are a lot of tight ends that you can go out and bring in the league, and we thought...
    -07-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Working...
X