• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams will wear 1999 'throwbacks' in '09

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/21/2008

You’ve seen them all around the National Football League, but not at Rams homes games. But in 2009, throwback uniforms are finally coming to St. Louis.

The NFL has approved the use of throwback uniforms for the club next season.

"We’ve signed off on it," Rams equipment manager Todd Hewitt said. "It’s a done deal. We’ve been talking about doing it for a couple years. We never could decide really in time to do it."

That’s because the league requires lots of lead time before allowing a team to wear throwbacks. In this instance, the Rams had to have their initial request in by March 1, 2008 for use in the 2009 season.

"So almost like a year and a half in advance," Hewitt said.

Rams owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez looked at sample throwback uniforms three weeks ago when the Rams played host to Arizona -- one of the last steps in the process.

The Rams sought league approval to wear throwbacks this season in honor of late owner Georgia Frontiere, but the league denied the request because of a lack of lead time. By wearing them in 2009, the Rams will commemorate the 10th anniversary of the team’s Super Bowl XXXIV victory over Tennessee.

"I think that the right throwback uniforms connect the players to part of the history of the team -- and that tradition is really important," Rosenbloom said. "In this case, we’re going to use the uniforms that we won the Super Bowl with."

That would be the royal blue, gold, and white uniforms worn by the team during their first five seasons in St. Louis. The "gold" part of those uniforms actually was more like a yellow. But after the 1999 championship season, the team changed uniform styles, going to more of a true gold color and a darker blue -- officially called "new century gold" and "millennium blue."

The Rams are allowed to wear the throwbacks for up to three home games next season. They are not allowed to change throwback uniforms -- say to an earlier style -- for five years.

Re: Rams will wear 1999 'throwbacks' in '09

Woo. I'm excited!

I really am excited about this for us. I know how many of you guys are excited as well. Maybe at the bash??

Comment

That's great! Now only if our play could be a throwback to 1999 as well!

Comment

The Rams are allowed to wear the throwbacks for up to three home games next season. They are not allowed to change throwback uniforms -- say to an earlier style -- for five years.
        Can anyone think of a valid reason these silly rules are necessary?
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Too Cool, Maybe I can dust off my Dickerson Jersey Or better yet the Chrissy Everett in moth balls.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
            EXACTLY!!!!

Although I don't have anything against going back to the 99' uniforms. That's only going back 10 years. I was hoping to read a throw back of about 45 years. The old L. A. RAMS uniforms would be sweet!!!!
            sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
              Agreed. The following comment also seems ridiculous. I remember thinking so when it was 1st mentioned before the beginning of the season.

"The Rams sought league approval to wear throwbacks this season in honor of late owner Georgia Frontiere, but the league denied the request because of a lack of lead time."

Lack of lead time for what?!?
              That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Comment

oh thank you kindly Roger Goodell,you are my hero!!:|

now can you unburn the video evidence..make the refs call penalties fairly when all teams play....allow us to honour our dead when they actually die..i know you need notice for whatever reason that is only known by you...whatever reason it was..it didnt seem to apply for when Gene Upshaw died did it? wouldnt have anything to do with the fact its easier to knock back 1 franchise at a time than it is the entire players union?

give a lil leeway in TD celebrations...using the ball as a prop?? what the hell is all that about..?? is not like we talking genitals here...its the gameball in a game of american football....it is supposed to be a prop!!!

oh and only test and suspend players for substance abuse if its performance enhancing drugs...clean up the cheating in the game before if atall you feel you must clean up things that are the total opposite of cheating.
                we encourage our children to have heroes in life..they dont need to know everything about their private lives!

abolish the stupid "tuck rule"...unless a QB actually throws a pass..how can it be an incomplete one.?. if the ball is knocked out of his hands its a fumble..no matter how the QB`s arm is positioned..its a fumble!

the NFL has long before you were out of school been the best sports league in the world because of the players,coaches and the fun all the aspects of the game have brought to fans for decades... quit trying to break what you didnt make!!!

rant over...looking forward to seein the uniforms again...hope by the time they are worn,we have more players than we currently have who are deserving of the honour of wearing such a beloved uniform!

Comment

Those are my favorite uniform.
                  :ramlogo:

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                    EXACTLY!!!!

Although I don't have anything against going back to the 99' uniforms. That's only going back 10 years. I was hoping to read a throw back of about 45 years. The old L. A. RAMS uniforms would be sweet!!!!
                    im sure them vulgar Philly & Jets throwback jerseys were dating from that far back...
                    although i would prefer to see the jersies worn that i personally was brought up around,i dont see any reason why any team shouldnt have the same options!

Comment

I hope that next seasons' players understands what are the implications of wearing that jersey.
                      I wouldn't want any of the current, sorry ass "playing for the paycheck" players wear a jersey that represent such great days for the RAMS.

Comment

YES!

Welcome back, the real St. Louis Rams!

This could be real Mighty Ducks stuff right here.

Comment

Nice, I can't wait.

Go RAMS!

Comment

Are we talking about the smurf blue and yellow unies?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
                              oh thank you kindly Roger Goodell,you are my hero!!:|

now can you unburn the video evidence..make the refs call penalties fairly when all teams play....allow us to honour our dead when they actually die..i know you need notice for whatever reason that is only known by you...whatever reason it was..it didnt seem to apply for when Gene Upshaw died did it? wouldnt have anything to do with the fact its easier to knock back 1 franchise at a time than it is the entire players union?

give a lil leeway in TD celebrations...using the ball as a prop?? what the hell is all that about..?? is not like we talking genitals here...its the gameball in a game of american football....it is supposed to be a prop!!!

oh and only test and suspend players for substance abuse if its performance enhancing drugs...clean up the cheating in the game before if atall you feel you must clean up things that are the total opposite of cheating.
                              we encourage our children to have heroes in life..they dont need to know everything about their private lives!

abolish the stupid "tuck rule"...unless a QB actually throws a pass..how can it be an incomplete one.?. if the ball is knocked out of his hands its a fumble..no matter how the QB`s arm is positioned..its a fumble!

the NFL has long before you were out of school been the best sports league in the world because of the players,coaches and the fun all the aspects of the game have brought to fans for decades... quit trying to break what you didnt make!!!

rant over...looking forward to seein the uniforms again...hope by the time they are worn,we have more players than we currently have who are deserving of the honour of wearing such a beloved uniform!
                              I don't have many points to rep, but you just got mine!

Comment