Former Rams bemoan lack of identity for L.A Rams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Rams bemoan lack of identity for L.A Rams

I thought this article was interesting, how some former Ram greats feel no connection to the St.Louis Rams.

Poor little Rams have lost their way
    Christine Cotter / Los Angeles Times
    Says former Rams running back Eric Dickerson of his days in L.A.: "The history that I had here is gone."
    Dennis Harrah, Eric Dickerson and others bemoan the lack of identity of the Los Angeles Rams.
    Bill Plaschke
    November 23, 2008
    Throughout the NFL today, former players will roam their old stadium homes, shaking hands, hearing cheers, spreading history.

In Southern California, former Los Angeles Rams guard Dennis Harrah won't even turn on the television.

"I don't love Sundays," he said. "It's like I never even played."

Throughout the NFL today, former players will provide living links to current ones, on sidelines, in broadcast booths, a weekly melding of past and present.

In Southern California, former Los Angeles Rams running back Eric Dickerson doesn't really care.

"I'm not a big NFL fan," he said. "The history that I had here is gone."

They were once the cornerstones of Los Angeles' most popular franchise, the builders of one of the nation's most solid sporting skylines.

Today they don't even have a working address.

They are legends without legacy, history without memory, stars of a team that no longer exists in a town that no longer cares.

Almost 14 years after the late Georgia Rosenbloom packed up the Rams and dragged them to St. Louis, they are the strange collection of boxes that remain.

Alive, alert, but alone, former Rams who lost not only a team, but an identity.

"There's no place for our memories to go, there's nothing in our past that we can touch," Harrah said. "We're lost."

By most estimates, there are about two dozen former Rams still living in Southern California.

Many are successful businessmen who have parlayed their football skills into marketable careers. They do not wish for special treatment, nor have any interest in pity.

But sometimes they think, wouldn't it be nice if they could show their children who they were?

"I would love to take my sons to the place I played, to see the team that I played for, but that's not possible," Harrah said. "This has been like a bad divorce, where you just can't go back."

Then sometimes they think, wouldn't it be nice to occasionally feel the embrace of a sports community that they worked so hard to create?

"I go back to New York and see Lawrence Taylor go to Giants Stadium and hear everyone shouting nice things to him, like he's come home, and I kind of wonder what that would feel like," Dickerson said.

While the former Raiders can just grab a flight to Oakland for the weekend, and often do, there is nowhere these former Rams can be Rams.

St. Louis? Those Rams -- those Rams -- have tried to welcome them, inducting 10 former Los Angeles Rams into their Ring of Fame, inviting them back for various ceremonies.

But it's not the same.

Listen to Harrah, who spent his entire 13-year career as a Los Angeles Ram, from 1975 to 1987, helping them to six division titles and one appearance in the NFC championship game.
    "I'm back there for a ceremony for some former players, and they introduce Lawrence McCutcheon, and there is a very quiet clap-clap-clap," Harrah recalled. "Then they introduce Dan Dierdorf, and there is a standing ovation."

McCutcheon played for the L.A. Rams. Dierdorf played for the St. Louis Cardinals.

"At that point, I said to myself, 'This divorce is really final,' " Harrah said.

Listen to Dickerson, who spent the first five years of his Hall of Fame career here, from 1983 to 1987, before an ugly contract-related trade.

"I went back to St. Louis to be honored, and it was very nice, but it was also odd," he said. "It's like Iraq and the United States talking nicely to each other."

For several years, the former Rams were recognized in an Orange County Hall of Fame at Angel Stadium. But the Angels eventually needed the room, and the memorabilia was stored away in boxes, where it remains today.

An attempt to fill that void occurred two summers ago at the Coliseum, at a reunion that included the unveiling of a Rams plaque. It was nice and classy and the Coliseum folks should be commended. But that's one day out of 14 years of empty Sundays.

"I go back to my old college [Southern Methodist] at least once a year, and it's great," Dickerson said. "I go back because, while we're not a great team, at least we still have a team."

In these difficult economic times, of course, the Rams aren't the only ones whose companies have disappeared. But nowhere is history sustained on a daily basis like in sports.

As long as there is a Dodgers team, folks will be reminded of the greatness of former Dodgers, whether they are introduced from the announcer's booth like Fernando Valenzuela, or throwing out a first pitch like Duke Snider.

As long as there are Lakers, there will be Lakers sitting behind the bench like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, sitting under the basket like Magic Johnson, or walking onto the court for a pregame ceremony like Rick Fox.

The Rams were once as big as both of those teams here. Yet their former players will never be visible as Rams again, no old-timers' games, or ceremonial coin tosses or sideline presence.

Think of this the next time you hear about the NFL moving an existing team here. Think not of the void it would fill. Think of the void it would create.

"We have a lot of stories to tell," Harrah said, sighing. "But no place to tell them, and nobody to listen."

Re: Former Rams bemoan lack of identity for L.A Rams

This is just one of the ways the NFL has forgot about many of it's old players who made the game as great as it is today. I don't know what the solution to the problem is though, the ring of honor is a start at the dome but it also has former Cardinal players on it also. I found that to be sort of odd but they are part of St. Louis football history, just not Rams history. Again, the league has swept many of it's old timers under the carpet so to speak and it's a real shame, they paved the way for what the game is today and should be given the respect they are due.
    sigpic

Comment

My first comment is, get used to going to St Louis, and embrace the city. Dan Deidorf got a resoubding applause because he is a daily citizen of St Louis, and has a few businesses there. Become a part of St Louis, and the St louis fans will know who you are.

Second... The Dodgers???? They bring up a story about L.A. RAMS players missing out, and then mention the Dodgers as an example of remebering the greats???? So how many Brooklyn Dodgers do they honor on a yearly basis? How do the Brooklyn Dodgers players, and their families, feel?

gap

Comment

is a sad thing...and the movin` of a franchise especially to an area so geographically apart is the main reason why we never gonna be top in the ranks of passionate fans...

i know some fans from the L.A. days (which i am myself) call out the folks from St.louis for not being in the whole as passionate about the Rams but its not their fault atall!!!

they have suffered the same as us..it would be hard to get passionate over the Lions if they moved to L.A. we havent grown up rooting for the Lions players and neither have St.louisans grown up on the likes of Dickerson,Slater etc...
        pre-St.louis fans have an army of ex-players we remember with fondness because they played for the honour of the horns...post L.A. fans have Faulk,Warner & Bruce..and 2 of them currently play for our rivals.

im sure if we done a poll and every Rams fan from St.Louis voted honestly on who the teams they hate the most are... i doubt very much if the Niners would be higher on their hate list than the Pats & Seahawks and also doubt that the Raiders would even get a vote! lets face it..in St.louis ya not gonna work & live amongst Niners & Raiders fans so the passion between opposing fans is no longer there and this attaches itself to the players..we were all disappointed in the lack of passion showed against the Niners of all people..but it just dont pull the heartstrings of fans (& Players) like it did back in the day!

its the fault of the now deceased owner...and its us the entire Rams fan & ex-player collective that have got to live with the consequences!

there are 2 solutions to this problem..one is for the owners and the other is for the NFL to sort out..

1.the owners move back to L.A. (the NFL would love to have a team in L.A again,so we can tick their box already)

2.extensive Re-allignment....with us being grouped together with say for example KC,Bears &Indy..

the second solution would re-ignite the passion amongst fans that only battles with local rivals bring to which our players would feed off...but the second solution is even less likely to happen than the first as most Franchises in the NFL have owners (and fans) that care a lot more about their history!

Comment

Living only 250 miles from the EJD, I see what a lot of the issues are. One of the biggest is the failure of the management to gather support for the team. I can go to the license bureau and get a St. Louis Cardinals license plate. I can't get a Rams plate. I go to any clothing store in town, I can get stuff from MSU, MU, Kansas, OU, the Cardinals (baseball), Springfield Cardinals (baseball), Chiefs, Raiders, Packers, Bears, Pats, Jets, and Cowboys. Occasionally, I see some Saints stuff. It's been two or three years since I have seen any Rams gear. Wally world, K-mart, Target, Dillards, it doesn't matter. They are all the same - no Rams support. The local TV stations bend over backwards to kiss the rear ends of the Chiefs and Cowboys (Jerry Jones owns a Wal-mart here as well as other land), they do the same for the baseball Cards - but the two teams I like to follow (Rams and Royals) are kicked to the curb. Yeah, I know the Royals suck, but I've been a fan since Frank White and Freddy Patek.
          If the team wants fans, then they must promote the team! After all, advertising works. Want proof? The Ford Pinto. It was a cheap, basic, crappy little car, yet they sold thousands of them each month. Why? Advertising. Out of the 2,680,242 Pintos built from 1971-1980, I have only seen two in the past year that are still on the road. I'm sure there are more, but my point is this: Even after it became public that the Pinto was nothing more than a stick of dynamite on wheels, the public still bought them Why? ADVERTISING.
          Why not try promoting the team? They can't use the 'well, we need to wait until we win' excuse. The Radiers consistently suck, but they still sell stuff worldwide, and have millions of misguided fans.
          temp_4394_1467243487543_20
          RAMS!

Comment

Harrah, Dickerson and others who feel this way are absolutely right. It is mind boggling to me how a team could be moved out of the 2nd largest media market in the country. Inexcusable. What has resulted is a lack of identity. This is no knock on the people of St. Louis, who are good people. It's just that there's a tremendous disconnect between the legions of great L.A. Ram players and where the team plays now. And while I understand it, it just doesn't seem right that Rams and Cardinals are lined together on the "Ring of Fame" inside the dome. Two entirely different teams, which serves to further mess things up.

Comment

I have met a few ex-LA Rams (Harrah, Slater, J. Youngblood, Coach Robinson, and the great Deacon Jones) and their feelings are mutual in their dislike (borderline hate) for the Ram organization and what happened here in LA/OC. They all seem to believe, as I do, a once great franchise and all it's wonderful history was severed when CR died and Ms. G. took control and ran off with the team to STL. Even then, some of the broken ties could have been mended after the Superbowl win when Georgia stepped up on the podium and took the mic immediately after the game. A simple, "this is for ALL the Ram fans, especially those we left behind in LA", would have done wonders to help heal the wounds. ...but instead we heard something like, "this just shows that moving to St. Louis was the right thing to do." It was another backhanded slap to the ex-players and fans she left behind. It was typical of how she ran the team, and why she shouldn't have.

I feel the same as those ex-players do when I watch the Rams play these days. I'm a Ram fan because that's the first and only football team I've ever rooted for. I can't see myself ever rooting for another team as I do the Rams.

...but I constantly ask myself why.

Those of you long-time fans that do not live in the St. Louis area, nor lived in LA/OC when they were here cannot truly understand how the LA Ram fans feel. To you, the Rams are the Rams no matter where they reside, and that's okay. But if your local team that you cheered on for years was taken away, you'd feel a bit different, I'm sure. The colors, name and logo should have stayed here in LA. Which I'm painfully reminded of every Sunday.

Every Sunday, I go down to a local sports bar and watch the Rams play, because they never seem to be on local TV anymore. (and I'm NOT going to pay the ridiculous price of the NFL network) And every Sunday, there's this quiet old guy that sits in the corner of the room in front of a TV that always has the Cleveland Browns game on. His weathered and broken body (he walks with a severe limp) plants down in front of the big screen and he silently, but with great intensity and love, watches the team he obviously still loves and probably grew up with play. ...EVEN though that team he grew up with is now in Baltimore, he still has his team.

I watch him come in each week, and watch him as he agonizes with every loss and cheer with every win, but he's always there rooting on his team. The owner may have stolen the players that he cheered for, but the city was lucky enough to keep the tradition and heritage intact by keeping the name and logo where it belonged. I believe this is how the identity was lost. Many of the great ex-players, and most of the former LA fans have no problem with St. Louis having a team, just not our team.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
                is a sad thing...and the movin` of a franchise especially to an area so geographically apart is the main reason why we never gonna be top in the ranks of passionate fans...

i know some fans from the L.A. days (which i am myself) call out the folks from St.louis for not being in the whole as passionate about the Rams but its not their fault atall!!!

they have suffered the same as us..it would be hard to get passionate over the Lions if they moved to L.A. we havent grown up rooting for the Lions players and neither have St.louisans grown up on the likes of Dickerson,Slater etc...
                pre-St.louis fans have an army of ex-players we remember with fondness because they played for the honour of the horns...post L.A. fans have Faulk,Warner & Bruce..and 2 of them currently play for our rivals.

im sure if we done a poll and every Rams fan from St.Louis voted honestly on who the teams they hate the most are... i doubt very much if the Niners would be higher on their hate list than the Pats & Seahawks and also doubt that the Raiders would even get a vote! lets face it..in St.louis ya not gonna work & live amongst Niners & Raiders fans so the passion between opposing fans is no longer there and this attaches itself to the players..we were all disappointed in the lack of passion showed against the Niners of all people..but it just dont pull the heartstrings of fans (& Players) like it did back in the day!

its the fault of the now deceased owner...and its us the entire Rams fan & ex-player collective that have got to live with the consequences!

there are 2 solutions to this problem..one is for the owners and the other is for the NFL to sort out..

1.the owners move back to L.A. (the NFL would love to have a team in L.A again,so we can tick their box already)

2.extensive Re-allignment....with us being grouped together with say for example KC,Bears &Indy..

the second solution would re-ignite the passion amongst fans that only battles with local rivals bring to which our players would feed off...but the second solution is even less likely to happen than the first as most Franchises in the NFL have owners (and fans) that care a lot more about their history!
                I agree with ramblin, it's the fault of the owner, why the former rams, don't have a place to call home. :helmet:

Comment

Reading those comments really hurt. Thanks for making my day STLRamman, after today's game!

Seriously, it is simply a downright sad season. Make that two in a row. Three?

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
                    I have met a few ex-LA Rams (Harrah, Slater, J. Youngblood, Coach Robinson, and the great Deacon Jones) and their feelings are mutual in their dislike (borderline hate) for the Ram organization and what happened here in LA/OC. They all seem to believe, as I do, a once great franchise and all it's wonderful history was severed when CR died and Ms. G. took control and ran off with the team to STL. Even then, some of the broken ties could have been mended after the Superbowl win when Georgia stepped up on the podium and took the mic immediately after the game. A simple, "this is for ALL the Ram fans, especially those we left behind in LA", would have done wonders to help heal the wounds. ...but instead we heard something like, "this just shows that moving to St. Louis was the right thing to do." It was another backhanded slap to the ex-players and fans she left behind. It was typical of how she ran the team, and why she shouldn't have.

I feel the same as those ex-players do when I watch the Rams play these days. I'm a Ram fan because that's the first and only football team I've ever rooted for. I can't see myself ever rooting for another team as I do the Rams.

...but I constantly ask myself why.

Those of you long-time fans that do not live in the St. Louis area, nor lived in LA/OC when they were here cannot truly understand how the LA Ram fans feel. To you, the Rams are the Rams no matter where they reside, and that's okay. But if your local team that you cheered on for years was taken away, you'd feel a bit different, I'm sure. The colors, name and logo should have stayed here in LA. Which I'm painfully reminded of every Sunday.

Every Sunday, I go down to a local sports bar and watch the Rams play, because they never seem to be on local TV anymore. (and I'm NOT going to pay the ridiculous price of the NFL network) And every Sunday, there's this quiet old guy that sits in the corner of the room in front of a TV that always has the Cleveland Browns game on. His weathered and broken body (he walks with a severe limp) plants down in front of the big screen and he silently, but with great intensity and love, watches the team he obviously still loves and probably grew up with play. ...EVEN though that team he grew up with is now in Baltimore, he still has his team.

I watch him come in each week, and watch him as he agonizes with every loss and cheer with every win, but he's always there rooting on his team. The owner may have stolen the players that he cheered for, but the city was lucky enough to keep the tradition and heritage intact by keeping the name and logo where it belonged. I believe this is how the identity was lost. Many of the great ex-players, and most of the former LA fans have no problem with St. Louis having a team, just not our team.

Don't worry, you just might get your wish in a few years. I think the Rams moving back to LA is a foregone conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
                      Don't worry, you just might get your wish in a few years. I think the Rams moving back to LA is a foregone conclusion.
                      I do believe the Rams will move (again) soon, but I doubt it will be in LA. Too many bad memories for most of the LA/OC Ram fans. For every LA Ram fan that still supports them, two or three hate them for leaving and will not support them if they return. There is something about "burning bridges" that comes to mind.

I've been a Ram fan for a long, long time, and I've never seen such a sorry excuse for a team as I've witnessed this year.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
                        And which LA based prospective owner has stepped up, making this a foregone conclusion?
                        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I don't think there are any "foregone conclusions" that can be drawn about the future location of the Rams' Franchise. It is only more likely that they will stay in St Louis for the time being because of contractual agreements. Support for the team has fallen off (I'm trying to be nice) recently. That makes it hard for any potential new owner to give up the cash to buy this team. It's quite possible that this team won't be sold until closer to the date when the contract is up with the EJD. That's not to say the team will move. It just gives the owners more leverage (i.e. Give us a new stadium, or we will move the team).

I also don't believe that Chip or his sister have any interest in running the Rams as a full-time job. If they can find a buyer willing to pay what they want for the team, I believe they'll jump at it. I think the best we can hope for at this point is Chip having the business sense to know that unless he gets this ship moving in the right direction, his inheritance is losing value and will continue to do so.
                          That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Comment

As RAMFANRAIDERHATER said (and I was thinking the same thing) - maybe the better way of moving the Rams to St. Louis would have been to create an entirely new franchise the way the Baltimore Ravens were created rather than "Baltimore Browns"?

Then a new L.A Rams team could have been started up later in the next league expansion, the same way Cleveland Browns rose up again. It does seem to me like a better way of handling the relocation if the owner insisted on moving to St. Louis.

Anyway, this whole moving business is very strange to me as a European to see. The NFL sometimes seems like a circus, just moving the tentpoles whereever there's money to be made - rather than a 'real' sports league. It would be unthinkable to see Real Madrid move their team to Barcelona or Liverpool moving their team to London and so on. It's just another culture I guess, just seems strange is all ;)

Comment

It does seem to me like a better way of handling the relocation if the owner insisted on moving to St. Louis.
                              Denmark, I tend to agree. I wish there was an agreement by a majority of owners that any team wishing to move will decide upon new name and colors. Though I also firmly believe in the capitalist idea that an owner can do whatever the flip they want with their assets, I also think moving franchises would be a lot cleaner if the "city" maintained "ownership" of name and colors.

However, our LA friends may disagree, as this idea would mean no.....

.....LA Dodgers
                              .....LA Lakers
                              .....or LA Rams.
                              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment