Clock management, or lack thereof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clock management, or lack thereof

When is the last time someone saw an nfl game where NEITHER team had a timeout left in the last two minutes of a half? Why is it that for four years we seem to have so much trouble getting the plays in, especially after many very long gains when we have the defense reeling. Why do we always burn the timeouts rather than judging on the game situation if its better to take the 5 yard penalty.

ramming speed to all

sign the big man

general counsel

Re: Clock management, or lack thereof

Well, I don't think you ever want to take the five yard delay of game. But I would imagine that it has to do with the complex offensive system. I remember earlier today Goodspeed was lined up in the wrong spot and by the time they got everything where it was supposed to be Bulger had to burn a time out. I'd imagine with our playbook, stuff like that happens a good bit more than it does to other offenses.

Comment

Smartz is the answer

Comment

What escapes me is why after completing a long pass to Holt was a TO needed? Is the team so out of shape that it can't get down the field to line up for the next play?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• viper
          Clock Management
          by viper
          In the last 3 minutes of the game our defense miraculously recovered another forced fumble with the opponent driving inside our red zone. On our last drive the Rams throw long to Torry Holt for a 67 yard touchdown. In doing so they left enough time on the clock for the Seahawks to mount a drive to win with a field goal with 4 seconds on the clock.

Should we have thrown that long pass leaving so much time on the clock or should we have tried to milk the clock in a more methodical manner?
          -10-15-2006, 06:43 PM
        • Rambos
          What hurt us more?
          by Rambos
          What hurt us more?
          O-line giving up sacks against a three-man rush
          47.22%
          Hill and Fishers play or lack of it
          52.78%
          -10-16-2006, 07:49 AM
        • general counsel
          Rams bombed in Seattle-Fall to 0-3. The Good, the Bad and the (mostly) Ugly
          by general counsel
          Greeting die hard Rams fans. I say die hard, because only the most hard core Rams fans can still have anything more than a passing interest in this team. I am quite sure that the overwhelming majority of the "fair weather fans" will have jumped ship after this debacle, to the extent that they have not done so already. There will be more cries of "I am Done" and of course, the discussion of draft picks will shortly begin, especially if we lose to buffalo next week and head into the bye 0-4 with washington (road), dallas and new england ahead. Those of us that truly love and worship the Horns will be severely challenged this year and the death watch for Linehan and Ziggy is certainly well under way.

Playing against an 0-2 Seattle team missing its first 5 wide receivers, the Rams were never in this game, falling behind early and never really challenging. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we were awful in the same areas that have plagued us in the first two weeks, however, this week, we don't have the excuse of saying that we were playing an elite team.

The odds of linehan making it through the season are very low, but even if he does, the odds of him returning next year are slim and none and slim has left the building. There will be a complete overhaul of this roster in the offseason. The only really question will be whether we go into complete rebuilding mode (ala kansas city) and trade away whatever vets we have with any value at all (ie Holt, Little), or whether we try and find a way to put a competitive offensive line on the field which will give us some shot of utilizing our skill position players.

Here it is folks, read it and weep.

The Good

Chris Long had 7 tackles and was around the ball all day. A future all pro
          Donnie Jones had 4 punts for a 54.5 average.
          The McMichael leap was a really nice play.
          Jackson showed a real pulse in the second half. Great double spin on the 50 yard pass play.
          Given how few and far between the td's have been this year, lets call attention to the 21 yard td to looker.
          Spoon had 7 tackles and a sack
          We recovered a fumble off a booming punt by Jones.

The Bad

There is basically no pulse on our defense. How are you going to win in the nfl when you get 2 sacks TOTAL in three games (1 today), rarely pressure the qb, cant tackle at all, and cant cover. We allowed 245 yards rushing today and huge chunks of those yards (including that first td run) came after contact by the first defensive player and an inability to wrap up. Early in the game we did absolutely nothing to disrupt seattle's rhythm as they were throwing the ball all over the field. No collapsing of the pocket, no forcing hasselbeck to rush his throws. True, we are missing Little, our only real pass rush threat, but i dont see why we dont blitz more. The fact is clear...
          -09-21-2008, 06:00 PM
        • RockinRam
          This Is Ridiculous
          by RockinRam
          I am very dissapointed in how the Rams played today. I don't really want to say much. The performance of this team has speaked for itself.

*Run defense sometimes looks good, but other times gives up major critical runs.

*Pass rush is basically non-existent. I don't know why we do not blitz more, our front four can't get ANY pressure whatsoever. Even with blitzing, none of our guys can even touch the quarterback.

*Secondary is getting burned.

*Our O-Line is basically a bunch of big, slow, fat, lazy players that cannot block Bulger.

*Pittman shows no burst. (May be because of the lack of open lanes the o-line makes.)

*We always come into a game making good plays, getting a touchdown or a couple. But then, we slow down and we give up plays.

*We need to start thinking about next years draft. We need to completely rebuild this team. No more excuses.

I am disgusted.
          -11-02-2008, 02:11 PM
        • NJ Ramsfan1
          Game Observations
          by NJ Ramsfan1
          Watched the entire game today. I can't say that I'm particularly upset because I didn't expect much to be quite honest- I thought we were in a tough spot today going to SF and playing a team that A) hammered us the 1st time we played and B) still has work to do to secure a playoff spot. Of my many observations, three things stuck out:

1) The NFL has turned the game into a complete joke in the name of "player safety". I am all for efforts to curb head injuries, eliminate cheap shots, leading with the head, etc. But it is apparent that the league doesn't want hard defense to be a part of the game anymore. You can't hit high, you can't go low, you can't have even light contact with a sliding QB, a defender is expected to adjust in mid-air on hits to an offensive player- just ridiculous. There are too many penalties called, and it sucks watching a game, getting excited after a good play and then see a flag. And it will only get worse.

For the players part, the fundamentals are atrocious- and this is a big reason for over officious refs. The form tackle has all but disappeared from defensive play, players instead trying to blast a guy without wrapping him. Players routinely grab and hold on the line of scrimmage. Rare is the punt return where there isn't a hold or block in the back. Where are all the coaching geniuses in this sport? Does ANYONE emphasize the importance of fundamentally sound ball? How hard is it to not commit a dozen penalties a game?

2) We are in dire need of another cornerback. Our guys hold, give too much cushion and generally play way beneath what is expected in a good defensive secondary. And given the fact we have an above average pass rush and linebacker play, it's all the more inexcusable because their job should be easier.

3)After watching about 800 dropped passes, I really wonder if some of these guys are the answer. We talk about "better offensive talent", but games like this illustrate just how many question marks still exist with this group. Jared Cook remains an enigma- a guy whose physique, quickness and overall talent should translate into monstrous games on a consistent basis, but too often is a dog. He drops balls, commits stupid penalties and doesn't always appear focused. Givens all but disappeared again today and had a huge drop. Pettis was a non-factor. I understand they're working with a back-up QB. But this is the time to elevate your game and help the guy out. Run the right routes and catch the football.

I can't fault the overall effort. And I think it is clear just how important the quarterback is in today's NFL.
          -12-01-2013, 05:44 PM
        Working...
        X