Where do we go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do we go from here?

Hello, fellow Rams fans and others. I've got a few minutes between drinking the first pot of coffee and taking out my two dogs, so I thought I'd post a few thoughts on here to ask "what next?".

In my home, the Rams aren't just a football team. They are a way of life. When an eight year old girl would rather watch the Rams play a game they will probably lose instead of Hannah Montana, then a father knows he is raising a child right.

So, we have gone from 8-8, to 3-13, to 2-14. We have changed coaching staff more often than some people change their oil. We can't seem to find the answers. But still, on any given Sunday, the Rams can look like the meanest team in the league for 50 or 55 minutes...then somehow, they blow it in the last few minutes of play. When I look back on the Rams teams from the last few years, I remember noticing a slow, steady decline. Sure, there were some bright spots - SJ and Bulger both looked fantastic just two seasons ago, Bartell looked like the miracle man this year, OJ has shined, but overall, the intensity of the entire team has faded. Much of this had to do with injuries - it's hard to keep your runningback in the game and your quarterback upright if your O line isn't blocking anyone. Those rare moments when the O line did mesh provided a chance for a big play, but something seemed to always go wrong. Our WR's had WD-40 on their hands, or a route was run in the wrong direction, or the QB was so gun shy that he just wanted to get rid of the ball before getting hit.

This year, it was different. We had all the pieces of the puzzle, but the guy who was trying to put it together didn't know how they fit together. Four games into the season, he was let go. The entire team seemed to change overnight. The swagger was back. The players no longer looked afraid of contact. We won a game against a better Washington team and stunned the league. One week later, we made Dallas a laughingstock. (Kind of like the Eagles did last night...hahahahahahahaha!!!!) People actually began to notice us!

Of course, we all hoped this was the real Rams, but most of us were careful. We'd been burned before, but those guys in Blue and Gold sure looked like winners!

Reality set in way too soon. We couldn't get a "W" the rest of the season. It sounds strange, but until week 9, we actually had a chance to make the playoffs with a 2-6 record. Of course, we all know how that story ends.

But are the Rams really as bad as Detroit? No. Not even close. Think about it. Most of the last 12 games, we were within reach of a win for at least half of the game. More than once, we were within minutes of a win - then disaster struck. Each game had ONE pivotal moment that I wish we could take back and do over. Yesterday, it was the onside kick being called back - OK, two moments: the lack of coverage on that long run. Yet, the Rams did not give up - not until the ball was turned over on the last 4th down.

So now what? Chip Rosenbloom has already rid us of the 3 worst influences we have had lately - Shaw, Ziggy, and Looserhan. He has put someone in charge that understands what a football looks like and what it means to be a winner. He gave us an interim head coach who, even if he didn't get the team to turn around, has inspired the players to TRY to win.

He has given us hope for next year.

Do I expect a repeat of the '99 season in '09? No, realistically, that's probably out of reach for a few more years, but it seemed that way ten years ago, too. What I do expect is something more realistic.

Possibly as early as today, Chip (or Devaney) will start making calls to HC candidates. Some of them will be eliminated within seconds of walking in the door, because they won't be a fit for the team. Others will be heavily considered. Who it will be is anyone's guess. I think the FO knows who they want, and if the contract can be worked out, that's who they will hire. I doubt if money will be an issue...it will be more of an issue of "will this guy make us a winner for the money" thing.

We might be without some names on the roster next season that have been around in horns longer than some of the fans. Holt, Little, Pace - no one knows what these guys are going to do. We will have other names that will emerge as stars - only one year ago, I remember a lot of people calling Bartell an average or below average player, yet this year he was one of the best. We will have new names on the sidelines, too.

What we do know is that there will be change. New names, new faces, new schemes. One year ago, no one could imagine Issac Bruce as a whiner. Yeah, it came back to bite us in the backside. No one could imagine the emergence of Avery, and he might just end up being someone who is as good - we will have to wait and see. It's a crapshoot, for sure.

One thing I will guarantee: Come April, many of us will be in the chat room, discussing our draft choices, arguing about who we picked, wishing we would have gotten some other player, and awaiting not so patiently the beginning of training camp. When the first pre-season game rolls around, we'll remind ourselves that it is only preseason and doesn't really matter in the big picture, but we will still be as excited as a kid on Christmas day about a win. We will be watching the rookies, hoping one of them turns out to be the biggest thing since sliced bread (as a side note - sliced bread was first created in Missouri, so there is hope! - also, ice cream cones, and they were invented in St. Louis!!!). We will pray that none of our team suffers any injuries, and if they do, we hope they are in the 'boo-boo' category that can be cured with a band-aid and a kiss from a cheerleader. We will study our schedule, formulate our own rosters, predict each game in the '09 season, gripe about how we overpaid free agent so-and-so, whine because we didn't overpay some other free agent, and then it happens:

Opening day kickoff.

All of us will be on the edge of our seats, heart pounding, eyes wide open, yelling so loud that the neighbors hear us, waiting for one thing - a win.

We know the Rams are a team with a winning tradition. We also know they can suck as bad as anyone else. In fact, as fans, we know this better than anyone.

Me, I know the Rams we love will be back on top - the best team in the league once again. Will it be next year?

Maybe. We'll have to wait and see. A lot of the pieces are there. Can Chip and Devaney put it together? Yes, they can - now all they have to do is finish the puzzle.

I can't wait.
    temp_4394_1467243487543_20
    RAMS!

Re: Where do we go from here?

Is this what drinking a whole pot of coffee does to you Sam?

I hope that Chip has the answers and that he will bring the right people in for the Rams. A lot of changes are happening right now with Shaw and Ziggy gone. So many unknowns now. Who will be here for next season? When will the changes happen?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UtterBlitz View Post
      Is this what drinking a whole pot of coffee does to you Sam?
      No, I had not even finished the first quart yet...
      RAMS!

Comment

So why are you is such a writing mood then?

It is weird to think that the season is over now. No more games for a while.
        sigpic

Comment

Funny, I just had my first cup of coffee, and I don't feel like talking about the Rams at all...

...maybe it's all the beer I drank last night?

This team is bad, make no mistake about it. But that's not to say that it can't be turned around, and quickly. Let's face it, there's only one way for this team to go, and that's up. ....and in this division, everyone (including the Cards) are mediocre at best, and the Rams can be competitive again quickly.

This off-season will be like none other, to me. New ownership, new FO, probably a new HC and other coaching changes are sure to come. We have two rookie WR's that show promise and other key players returning from injury. When Jackson is healthy, he can be a beast. Hopefully, this is the start of a new Rams era. New attitude, new approach. No more "soft" Rams team, I'm hoping. I few hits on FA and in the draft and the Rams can get back in the thick of things. Just look at the Dolphins a Falcons for proof that it can happen with the right people in place, and the wrong people in jail.

No, the Rams can get this ship going in the right direction, and I for one will be anxiously awaiting the off season to watch it all unfold.
          Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -12-29-2008, 10:26 AM.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Very nice post Sam. I share your optimism and confidence that the Rams will return to the lofty postion they held earlier this decade and were so dominent at back in the '70's and early '80's. As I have said many times n this site, it promises to be a very interesting off-season.

Go Rams! :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFanSam View Post

But are the Rams really as bad as Detroit? No. Not even close. Think about it. Most of the last 12 games, we were within reach of a win for at least half of the game. More than once, we were within minutes of a win - then disaster struck.
              The Rams were VERY CLOSE to being as bad as Detroit. Fact is that many who anylize the NFL for a living felt that the Rams WERE the worst team in the league. To state that it 'wasnt even close' is laughable. The Lions were also in reach of a win in several games and their offense outscored the Rams by 36 pts this year. Thats correct...the Rams were OUTSCORED by the WORST TEAM (record wise) in NFL HISTORY! Chew on that for a few months.

Most of the time "disaster" was named Marc Bulger. As long as he remains the QB this will never be anything but a mediocre team...at best. The guy doesnt have "it" and never will.
              "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

Unfortunately, this optomistic thinking is the silver lining that every team has to look forward to. I could argue that the Lions are closer to being competitive than our team. They have a lot of young talent. We have a few bright spots of young talent, but probably have more holes and aging vets.

The question is where do we go from here. I believe the answer is this:

We have finally rid ourselves of Zygmut and Shaw. Shaw was a cancer for 20 years, and Zygmut helped bury our GSOT. But replacing Zygmut and getting a new coach is only step 1. Step 2, and just as big a problem is the poor drafting (I'd like to say there was some bad luck in there, but at this point, it doesn't make a difference), and poor free agent aquisitions that we are stuck with, or didn't work out. We have holes to fill, and some mediocre players that we are stuck with for at least a couple years. These problems will not be quick to resolve. It will take some time. We may have some limitted success with the Bulger/Jackson/Avery combination, but we will have just as much of a downside with our contracts to guys like Bell and Bennett, and aging vets like Pace, Holt, and Little.

We are unfortunately, in a rebuilding mode that we have been delaying for a couple years now. Now, our recession may turn into a depression.

But on the other side of this should be a better organization, perhaps a new owner, and hopefully a committment to winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
                  The Rams were VERY CLOSE to being as bad as Detroit. Fact is that many who anylize the NFL for a living felt that the Rams WERE the worst team in the league. To state that it 'wasnt even close' is laughable. The Lions were also in reach of a win in several games and their offense outscored the Rams by 36 pts this year. Thats correct...the Rams were OUTSCORED by the WORST TEAM (record wise) in NFL HISTORY! Chew on that for a few months.

Most of the time "disaster" was named Marc Bulger. As long as he remains the QB this will never be anything but a mediocre team...at best. The guy doesnt have "it" and never will.
                  Oh my gosh, how right you are! It WAS mostly Marc's fault! He didn't protect the QB, he failed to block, he didn't get 5.3 YPC when he was handed the ball, he didn't cover the opponent's recievers in the secondary, he hired Looserhan, and he called every bad play!

Now that the sarcasm is over, am I saying Marc is blameless? No. He most certainly had his share of screw-ups this year, but the issue goes much further than that. It wouldn't matter WHO we had at QB this year - we would have not done any better. Last year we had Frerotte as a backup. He couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at six paces, yet this year he did a great job for Minny. I wonder why that was? Could it be that Minnesota had something we don't...like maybe a better offensive line, or better recievers, or a ground threat, or better play calling, or what?

Let me give you yet another example: Warner in New York. Truth is, he sucked. Some kid named Eli Manning comes along, and sure enough, he takes the team to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, Kurt goes to Phoenix, and what went on there? He takes a team of Bidwell's losers to the playoffs. I wonder why? Oh, right...it's Marc's fault.
                  RAMS!

Comment