Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bernie Bits

I hope Pace has fired the Postons.

I'm not sure what glue " Ice " has been sniffing, but I've never liked the Postons and have never said they were right.

I just defend any player's right to try and pursue a contract that he thinks is best for him -- as long as he isn't violating an existing contract.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I've ripped hater fans who, for one, kept falsely accusing Pace of "holding out" when he did nothing of the sort. These yahoos don't even understand the NFL economic system.

Pace had every right to employ the Postons. I don't have to agree with him, but I'm not going to hate on him because of his choice.

And as I have said, it takes two to make a deal. The Rams haven't exactly been aggressive in trying to make a deal with Pace.

Pace came out yesterday and in Martz's evaluation played the best game of his NFL career. All of this hand-wringing over training camp was much to do about nothing.

Pace is here, he's kicking butt, he's in the best shape of his career and his teammates support him 100 percent.

The yahoos are just going to have to get over it.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Martz's play-calling in the red zone was disappointing.

But his team had 448 yards, so I'd conclude that he called some good plays along the way.

I think the many quick slants, for example, where the perfect counter to Arizona's blitzes. He sniffed out their tactics pretty well.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    How could anyone be ashamed of a team that had Marshall Faulk running like the old days, an offensive line blocking with great precision and intensity, and Isaac Bruce making the tough catches and taking a beating? How could anyone be ashamed of a defense that had guys running out to get dislocated body parts popped back into place, then running back in to finish the game?

I'm telling you, this stuff is irrational.

If anyone wants to criticize the red-zone execution and play calling, that's fair game. Plenty to take question, there.

But for anyone to question the effort and intensity and say they're embarrassed to be a Rams fan....that's looney-tunes.

Cheers,

Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I hope Martz coaches here a long time.

Two reasons:

1. I like it when the local teams are successful; makes my job more fun.
    2. Never a dull moment with this guy; he's a lightning rod. And that makes for great entertainment.

I think the hatred of Martz is really funny. I used to get worked up about it, but now I just roll with it. It just amazes me how bad some people have it for this guy. It's an infatuation.

I wonder if this stuff goes on in other NFL cities. Heck, let's look at the one to our West....Vermeil is considered a genius, and Martz a fool. That's fine. I'd just like to know the difference between the two teams since the start of last season. wins, losses, playoff success, correcting problems.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I takes two to make a deal.

Pace did what he thought was best.

And he's already been vindicated...because all the nonsense that was said about Pace during his time away from camp has already turned out to be untrue. He wasn't out of shape. He was ready to play. He played the best game of his career. And his teammates love him.

So just get over it....it's over.

The big dude doesn't have to take orders from hater fans. He's a free man. He can operate under the NFL system in a way that he feels is appropriate.

And if he wants to kick his agents out, that's his call. I think he'd be better off for doing it.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Because he didn't have to report.

As I said before, that's not so bad -- him being away. Freak injuries can happen. We see it all the time in NFL camps and practices.

Question: was Pace ready to start the season?

A straight yes or no answer.

Yes.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    ....or Martz haters.

That would be a good poll...

what STL sports figure do STL fans hate the most?

I'd say Martz and La Russa are neck and neck....which probably explains why they've become such good friends.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    The Bernie bits
    by RamWraith
    BernieM wrote:
    Pace Haters,

I''m covering baseball today and wasn't in Atlanta. I TiVoed the Rams game and will look at it later.

Better yet, I'll watch a copy of the coach's film this week at Rams Park and take a look at the O-line play, including Pace.

If he played bad, then he played bad. We'll see.

But I surely have no intention of trusting the word of Haters. I'll see for myself.

Funny how the Haters were so silent after last week's game.They were waiting until it was safe to rip him.

Cheers.
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Actually, I want to thank you guys for brightening my day.

Seriously.

The Cardinals baseball game was kind of dull. I wasn't in a particularlyy good mood. I was in the press-room area at Busch, watching a little of the Rams game -- literally one series. The Rams O-line was having a rough time of it. Grant Williams and Chris Dishman missed blocks. I didn't see any Pace mistakes -- and I'm not saying he didn't make any; just not during the small part of the game I saw (so far).

But I joked with my colleagues....I said, "You wait, all of this will be blamed on Pace. No matter what happens, it'll be Pace's fault. It'll be fun to see it on my forum and e-mails."

Sure enough....you guys are too good to be true. Thanks for the smile.

Cheers,
    Bernie

On Pace:
    BernieM wrote:
    Bertrand Berry is a good NFL defensive end.

How many sacks did he have last season?

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I predicted 8-8, or 9-7 if things went well.

I also predicted that they'd lose today -- and in fact, was right on target about how it would happen. I wrote that Vick would have a break-out game.

So I'm not sure why some of you are freaking out and acting like this loss today was some sort of unpredictable, unforseen disaster. Especially considering that the Rams defense hasn't stopped a running game for the last nine games, including the playoff loss to Carolina. They're giving up an average of just under 6 yards a carry in that stretch. Until they correct that -- if they can -- there will be some long Sundays.

It's the NFL. Green Bay goes to Carolina and whips the NFC Super Bowl team, and then comes home and gets wiped up at Lambeau by the freaking Bears.

Detroit is 2-0.

Kansas City is 0-2.

Denver goes to Jacksonville and scores what, 6 points?

Take a deep breath. As I wrote before the season, the Rams have experienced a talent drain. They're trying to make up for that on the fly. There will be some rough moments this season.

Again, it's truly bizarre -- the way St. Louis football fans have no perspective on this league and its ebb and flow,...
    -09-20-2004, 01:11 PM
  • Nick
    Multiple Bernie
    by Nick
    Compiled and Posted By RubberSoul on the PD Board

Post subject: Bernie Bits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BernieM wrote:
    And how exactly did you arrive to the conclusion that Arizona wanted to win the game more?

One team had 448 yards; the other 260.
    One team had 27 first downs, the other 14.
    One team forced eight punts; the other team forced three.

Rams turnovers were the reason why the game was close. Steven Jackson fumbled....was it because of a lack of desire? .... Bulger threw an INT; was it because he didn't want to win? Looker got hit and fumbled; was it because he didn't care?

Did you see the Rams defense? All three times after the Rams offense turned the ball over, they forced Arizona off the field in three plays....after the long kickoff return to the STL 29-yard line, the Rams defense forced AZ to settle for a field goal. In the fourth quarter, protecting a 7-point lead, the Rams defense held three different times and forced punts. Is that not a show of character, heart, whatever you want to call it?

What about the Rams offensive line? Rams RBs averaged 5.9 yards per carry; no sacks were allowed. Did the Rams' offensive line lay down and play lethargically? If so, back it up.

Rams LB Pisa Tinoisimoa suffered a dislocated shoulder and had to leave the game...the docs popped it back in place, put the shoulder in a harness, and he returned to play....he was in a tremendous amount of pain. But he played on. CB Jerametrius Butler dislocated a couple of fingers, had them popped back into place, and played the rest of the way....yeah, the Rams really dogged it.

I'm just looking for some evidence to support the accusation that the Cardinals cared more about winning than the Rams.

Cheers,
    Bernie

On spoiled fans:
    BernieM wrote:
    It's really pathetic.

These fans -- not the loyal and discerning fans who offer constructive and on-point criticism, but the chronic and mindless whiners -- deserve to have a 4-12 team.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Bulger's problem today was his failure to check down to Faulk on three key occasions; two in the red zone; he forced throws instead.

Cheers,
    Bernie

On Pace Firing Postons:
    BernieM wrote:
    Pace denied that after the game.

Too bad.

I think his life would be less complicated without the Postons.

Cheers,
    Bernie

On Pace:
    BernieM wrote:
    Gee, he really stunk it up today, didn't he?

The Rams averaged only 5.9 yards per rushing...
    -09-12-2004, 10:45 PM
  • RamWraith
    The Bernie bits
    by RamWraith
    BernieM wrote:
    Marmie wasn't the most exciting choice as DC; Martz should have hired Dick Jauron instead.

But two things:

1. People around the NFL respect Marmie, recognizing that he didn't have much talent to work with in Arizona. They saw on film that he got his guys to play hard.

2. I commented on this BEFORE the season and it holds true now. I don't see how Marmie can be faulted at this point because he inherited a defense that has no run stoppers at DT, and undersized crew of LBs, and one legitimate NFL cornerback in J. Butler. (I don't count A. Williams because he plays safety and will likely stay there). The defense he inherited lost Wistrom and Young and then lost T. Fisher.

Marmie has to make it better the best that he can. But in the last seven games of 04', including the playoff game, this defense gave up an average of 5.4 yards per rush. And it hasn't been any better the first two games this season. That's a fatal flaw. Better personnel is the only real solution. I want to see if Marmie will get his guys to play hard every week. First week, yes. Second week, disappointing.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    About Pace ...

Pace's game was beneath his usual standards, which is to say he wasn't great, but he graded out highest among the Rams' linemen. (which isn't saying a lot). It's interesting because after reading the initial flurry of Pace-hostile posts here, I expected to go watch the tapes and see him beaten all day, manhandled, blowing assignments, etc.

In that context I was surprised by his performance, because it wasn't nearly as bad as advertised here. On the biggest play of the game I expected to see him getting bulled over or beaten straight up, and it didn't happen that way. Brady Smith got a terrific jump on the ball, and Pace had to scurry to get his feet moving. He managed to push Smith out a bit, but not enough. Smith didn't get a full-on clean shot on the QB but he made a fantastic play, swiping the ball loose. That said, it was Pace's responsibility and in scoring that play, Smith obviously got the win. Bulger could have helped by sliding to his left, but didn't. He couldn't step up, because the Falcons got inside penetration, as they did all day in overhwheling the Gs and C. Bulger, however, stood in place. Pace didn't quite steer his guy out of harm's way. Smith won.

Pace had a holding penalty that didn't have consequences because the Rams went on to score a TD. One time he had Kearney who surged and dived to get a piece of Bulger, but only after another Falcon got there first. Pace made some terrific blocks in that game, including a blitz pickup on a 23-yard completion to Holt. But I don't see the need to get into all that detail, because I'm not looking to convert anyone here. Believe as you wish.

For whatever Pace's flaws were, I don't see...
    -09-22-2004, 06:08 AM
  • RamWraith
    The Bernie bits
    by RamWraith
    BernieM wrote:
    I don't care if Marshall Faulk talks to the media.
    I don't care if any athlete talks to the media.
    It does not impact my job in any way ... if anything it makes it easier.

In Marshall's case, he's sour because of the praise directed at Jackson and the comments being made that he's lost speed and is on the downside of his career. Which is true in both cases, though as I've said many times, he still can be effective in spots, and he was certainly that against Seattle. But here's the irony: he always tells the network people (the crew doing yesterday's game) that it's now his role to help Jackson and help the offense by doing what he can...and that he accepts a secondary role if that's the reality....but when a STL radio, TV or newspaper guy says the same thing -- Jackson was deserving of more playing time, and Marshall has lost some quicks, and that his knees haven't held up -- he gets offended. Pretty funny.

Even funnier is reading on here the posts like "good for Marshall" and "screw the media." Again, my paycheck doesn't change by one cent if Marshall Faulk declines to speak to me or anyone else. But when he declines to speak to us, he's declining to speak to the fans. So he's basically screwing the fans, because he's refusing to talk to you through the hated, evil, despised, scumbag media.

It's hysterical.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    A couple of comments if I may:

1. Yes, Martz has taken cheap shots at Warner.

2. I was sitting there yesterday when Martz made the comment ... and I didn't interpret it as a shot at Warner...Martz was giddy, happy, no malice in his heart. We pressed him to describe the Cleeland TD catch and he gave us a brief history and he recounted how he used it once before but Kurt didn't connect on it. I took it as a matter-of-fact recital of what had happened before, not a swipe at Warner.

I understand how some of you could view it as a poke at Warner -- given Martz's track record -- but to me it didn't come across that way when he mentioned Warner yesterday.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    Bbref....

yes, I do think that some in the locker room are thriving on the circle the wagons mentality....which is good for them....anything that works is fine by me.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    I need to vent...sorry...early wake-up call in Seattle, long flight, short time to write a column.

In advance let me say that NONE of this is directed at any posters here. And again....I'm just venting...need an outlet...thanks for putting up with it....and providing some therapy for me.

Just checked my e-mail.... question: is it possible for everyone to enjoy a playoff victory?

The e-mails were remarkably acidic for the day...
    -01-09-2005, 07:37 PM
  • RamWraith
    The Bernie speaks
    by RamWraith
    The players like Martz a lot. They're very loyal to him. They know he falls on swords to protect them -- often taking the blame for a play that a player messes up.

Player relations are the least of his concerns.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Well, here we go again...

I guess ol' Bernie is being too soft on Martz again.

That's funny.

Martz was so upset by what I wrote last Thursday, Sunday and Monday he complained to at least three other prominent STL media people wondering why I'm out to get him.

Cheers,
    Bernie
    -10-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Working...
X