BREAKING NEWS: Rams hire Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo to be next HC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING NEWS: Rams hire Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo to be next HC

NY Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will be the new head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

The Rams and Spagnuolo are currently negotiating the terms of his contract and indications are that we can expect the announcement of the hiring later today.

At this time no news conference is planned for Saturday at Rams Park.

Spagnuolo, 49, was the Giants defensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008 and came up with the game plan that resulted in five sacks of Tom Brady and a shocking upset of the undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

Before that, Spagnuolo learned his trade under acclaimed Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, working as an Eagles defensive assistant from 1999-2006.

Rams GM Billy and Spagnuolo have been friends for many years and that relationship obviously created a trust factor that helped Spagnuolo feel comfortable about taking the Rams job.

Spagnuolo wowed the Rams' brass with a presentation in Los Angeles on Thursday.

Congrats to Devaney and Rosenbloom.

-B

Re: Let the steve spagnuolo reign begin

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Let the new era begin.

Comment

Thank you god, hopefully know he uses his freindship with Lito Sheppard and we got ourselves a new #1 CB too!!!

Comment

only 30 Minutes ago we had Ginger Garrett now weve got Spagnuolo?

Comment

Great point. We could very well use Lito Sheppard's services for this team. Resign Atogwe, Bartell. Sign Sheppard. Seems pretty solid to me...

Comment

Great News!

Congrats to Steve Spagnuolo!

Congrats to Rams fans!

LETS GO RAMS!!!

Now, I hope this is true, geesh. Talk about taking the long road to get there...lol

:helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by Mooselini View Post
              Great point. We could very well use Lito Sheppard's services for this team. Resign Atogwe, Bartell. Sign Sheppard. Seems pretty solid to me...
              Will bring a quote from a post a little while back

Unless a key Eagle gets hurt, Sheppard probably will watch the rest of the playoffs in uniform on the sidelines. After that? If former Eagles assistant Steve Spagnuolo gets a head coaching job, he knows where to find a cornerback. "If he's smart," Sheppard said with a grin. "You never know. I haven't quite got to that point yet but you never know. Everything and anything is a possibility now a days."

Comment

Well, if this is true, I'm happy since he was my #1 choice. I liked the choice of Garrett too though.

So if this is true, is everybody okay with Billy Devaney again? :smug:

Comment

I certainly don't want to rain on this parade,but where did you get this info? Link???
                  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Comment

STLtoday.com - STLtoday.com: Sports - Forums - Bernie's Press Box - Topic - Your New Coach: Steve Spagnuolo
                    Originally posted by Truth View Post
                    I certainly don't want to rain on this parade,but where did you get this info? Link???

Comment

Before we start treating him like the next Barak Obama, this guy has his work cut out for him. I am going to give everyone this little word of advice: Let him crawl before he walks.

Comment

Goodness this type of exciting news isnt good when your holding your 1yr old son!!!!...

HELL YESSS.....

Comment

I am certainly excited, and I agree Tx, I agree...
                          Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Varg what part of NJ are you from??

I have been to a few Giants game and have watched multiple at home so i have seen first hand how great of a dc spags was

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                              Spagnuolo Sets the Course
                              by RamWraith
                              Monday, January 19, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                              Senior Writer

Steve and Maria Spagnuolo call it divine intervention, some might say it was a simple twist of fate but through no intent of their own, the Spagnuolos were married at the world’s most famous Catholic destination four years ago.

The trip to Italy for a wedding had come as planned. When the pair had decided to get married, they had decided they didn’t want a big, fancy wedding. In fact, they wanted to get away to the country of their respective heritages.

So with much careful thought and planning, the couple opted to have the wedding in Italy. They wanted a simple ceremony in a Catholic church in Rome.

For their marriage to be acknowledged in the United States, there were plenty of obstacles including enough paperwork to put Mead out of business.

“Believe it or not, if you try to get married in another country, you talk about paperwork,” Spagnuolo said. “This paperwork around here is nothing.”

Indeed, the task of getting married in Rome proved too difficult and the Spagnuolos had to call an off the field audible.

As it turned out, that audible was as successful as any defensive call the Rams’ new head coach made in his two years as the wildly successful defensive coordinator of the New York Giants.

In his research of the various wedding opportunities in Italy, Spagnuolo recalled a rule that allowed for people to skip some of the inane paperwork and be married. Of course, to do this, the couple had to go through the easy task of getting married at the Vatican.

Sure, Vatican City is a country unto itself and was governed by its own rules but for most couples hoping to wed there, the nuptials were planned at least two years in advance.

“We are talking about the Vatican but this is my simple mind,” Spagnuolo said. “If you walk in the main basilica is right there but there are eight chapels, four on one side and four on the other. I’m saying to myself well how hard can it be? Just throw us in one of those chapels.”

Easier said than done. The Vatican only allows for two marriages a day, one at 10:30 a.m. and the other at 4 p.m. every day except Sunday.

Fortunately for the Spagnuolos, a priest who had worked with Steve with the Eagles in Philadelphia had relocated and had connections at the Vatican.

After forking over $200 for a best man and maid of honor to serve as witnesses, the Spagnuolos tied the knot.

“That was an act of God, divine intervention,” Spagnuolo said.

HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

Growing up in Whitinsville, Mass., just outside of Boston, Spagnuolo was one of five children to mother Carol.

From an early age, Spagnuolo was pretty much the All American kid. He loved sports, playing quarterback on the football team, second base...
                              -01-20-2009, 05:30 AM
                            • RamWraith
                              St. Louis Rams eye New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo
                              by RamWraith
                              By Jim Thomas
                              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                              01/16/2009

Whether it's this year or not, Steve Spagnuolo probably will be an NFL head coach.

"When you get in the business, you have two dreams as a football coach," Spagnuolo said last year at the Super Bowl. "One is to win a Super Bowl."

And the other?

"Be a head coach at the highest level," he said.

Spagnuolo got the Super Bowl title last season as New York Giants defensive coordinator, helping mastermind a colossal 17-14 upset over the most prolific scoring team in NFL history — the New England Patriots.

Making quarterback Tom Brady look mortal and limiting the Patriots' offense to 274 yards can do wonders for a résumé. So after his first year as an NFL defensive coordinator, Spagnuolo became a red-hot coaching candidate.

Take it from Washington owner Dan Snyder.

"To see what I consider the most explosive offense I've seen in years and years to just be slowed down like that was quite impressive," Snyder told The Associated Press at the time.

Snyder tried to hire Spagnuolo to coach the Redskins, but Spagnuolo opted to stay with the Giants for at least another year as defensive coordinator.

After another highly successful regular season, the Giants were upset by rival Philadelphia last Sunday in the NFC playoffs, but Spagnuolo's name keeps coming up in head-coaching searches.

He interviewed with Denver, but the Broncos hired Josh McDaniels. He also met with the New York Jets, although some media reports indicated that his session didn't dazzle them. And on Thursday, he was interviewed in Los Angeles as a Rams head coaching finalist.

No overnight sensation, Spagnuolo, 49, has climbed steadily up the coaching ranks since his days as a wide receiver at Springfield (Mass.) College. Beginning with a graduate assistant stint at Massachusetts in 1982-83, Spagnuolo was an assistant at six colleges before he broke into NFL coaching.

During that time, Spagnuolo also worked for two NFL Europe squads as an assistant, and had a couple of stints working in personnel in the NFL. In 1983, Spagnuolo was a player personnel intern with the Redskins. A decade later, he was a scout for the San Diego Chargers. Rams general manager Billy Devaney worked with the Redskins in '83 and the Chargers in '93, so he knows Spagnuolo well.

A year ago, during the first-round playoff bye "window" to interview head-coaching candidates, Atlanta requested permission to interview Spagnuolo but was turned down. (The Giants later relented after the Super Bowl, letting Washington interview him.)

Devaney worked for Atlanta a year ago. So by all accounts, the friendship between Devaney and Spagnuolo is real and could factor into the Rams' coaching search.
                              -01-16-2009, 05:31 AM
                            • RamWraith
                              More useful (and useless) info on Spagnuolo
                              by RamWraith
                              Compiled By Bernie Miklasz
                              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH SPORTS COLUMNIST
                              01/17/2009

* Date of Birth: Dec. 21, 1959 in Whitinsville, Mass. He’s 49 years old.

* To prepare for this job, Spagnuolo has spent the last 27 years coaching football in three countries, at six colleges and with four professional teams. The road included stops at Easton, Pa; Storrs, Conn; Barcelona, Spain; San Diego; Orono, Maine; New Brunswick, N.J.; Bowling Green, Ohio; Frankfurt, Germany; Philadelphia; East Rutherford, N.J.

* His first NFL job was as an intern in the Washington Redskins’ player-personnel department in 1983. Among his duties: driving released players to the airport, making coffee, assembling the daily newspaper clips, charting plays during practice and stocking the refrigerators. "I was basically a gopher," Spagnuolo once said.

* Billy Devaney must have noticed this valuable gopher. Devaney was working for the Redskins in 1983, and came to admire Spagnuolo’s work ethic and personality. After moving to San Diego to be the assistant GM, Devaney hired Spagnuolo as a Chargers’ scout.

* Commenting about this "Where in the World is Spags" coaching odyssey, NY Giants head coach Tom Coughlin once said: "His background is what attracted me. Because he never really had a high-profile job and worked his ever-lovin' butt off."

* Spagnuolo’s career highlight: orchestrating a nasty defensive assault on Tom Brady and the high-scoring and presumably unstoppable New England offense to spring a 17-14 upset in last year’s Super Bowl. The Giants sacked Brady five times in that one.

* At Grafton (Mass.) High, Spagnuolo was virtually a straight-A student. And he played quarterback, running the wishbone offense.

* Also in high school, Spagnuolo played second base on a state championship baseball team. On the high school hockey team, he played an aggressive, buzzing brand of center and didn’t shy away from contact.

* In high school, Spagnuolo told his coaches and his pals that one day he’d be an NFL head coach. According to the New York Times, few who knew him doubted that it would happen. Spagnuolo would stay after practice on a daily basis, to go over the finer points of the team offense with coaches and teammates. High school chums told the Times that Spagnuolo was always able to rally his teammates around him.

Said one of those friends, Mike Conway: "Steve is a brilliant, brilliant man. "He very easily could be at Mass General doing brain surgery instead of coaching football. You’ll never meet anybody smarter than him."

* Spagnuolo played wide receiver at Springfield (Mass.) College.

* Spagnuolo’s younger brother, Kevin, attends Harvard Law School.

-01-18-2009, 07:26 AM
                            • RamWraith
                              5 Minutes for Blogging, Spagnuolo Edition
                              by RamWraith
                              By Bernie Miklasz

Did the St. Louis Rams hire a great head coach? Obviously, there is no way to predict the future for Steve Spagnuolo, or for any coach that the Rams would have hired. That applies to the guys who would have become head coaches for the first time, but the same is true of veteran head coaches who change jobs. But “Spags” certainly has established credentials that are worthy of this opportunity.

Here are five reasons why the hiring make sense:

1. COACHING PEDIGREE: Spagnuolo has worked in the pro game as a scout, and in the personnel department, so he knows how an entire operation works. He was largely trained in the NFL by Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who in my opinion is the best assistant coach in the NFL. Spagnuolo learned so much from Johnson. Not just the valuable aspects of defensive strategy, either. Johnson has always gotten players to play all-out for him. Johnson has always instilled an aggressive, attacking mindset in his players. Spagnuolo absorbed all of that. And when he went to NY in 2007 to become the Giants’ defensive coordinator, the Giants soon attained the same level of motivation, and brought it to opponents with that same attacking mentality.

2. CHEMISTRY WITH BILLY DEVANEY: Rams Park has been an MMA ring in recent years. Jay Zygmunt and Mike Martz feuded, and the rift ripped apart the football operation. Scott Linehan followed, and he didn’t get along with some coaches and other key employees. Jim Haslett and Linehan sniped at each other behind the scenes until Linny was fired four games into the 2008 season. Devaney and Spagnuolo go way back, working together in the NFL in Washington (1983) and San Diego (1993). They’ve been friends for many years. There is a strong bond and trust factor between them. Is it possible for friends to eventually have a falling out? Sure. But these men share a common trait: they have very good people skills. They have a history of working well with others. It bodes well for their future together as GM and head coach. I can’t believe that Spagnuolo would have taken this job unless he believed in Devaney, and believed in Devaney’s plan for the future. For the first time since Dick Vermeil and Charley Armey worked side-by-side to build a Super Bowl champ, the Rams have two pure football guys running things. Two football guys with cordial personalities, too. Just like Armey and DV.

3. SPAGNUOLO HAS A HISTORY OF COMMANDING RESPECT: This is what the NY Post wrote online Saturday, shortly after Spagnuolo agreed to take the Rams’ gig: “This is a big blow to the Giants…firm but fair, players rallied around him because he usually managed to spin everything in a positive way. His defense was the primary season why the Giants were able to stun the football world with last season’s playoff run.”

Spagnuolo earned credibility as a leader and a strategist by knocking off the Patriots...
                              -01-18-2009, 07:19 AM
                            • RamWraith
                              Spagnuolo gets an escape clause
                              by RamWraith
                              Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2009, 2:34 p.m.

Like Bill Parcells in Miami, who can walk away with pay once Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga transfers control of the franchise to Stephen Ross, new Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has finagled protection against a sale of the franchise for which he now works.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, Spagnuolo’s contract includes an escape clause, which allows him to walk away if/when the team is sold.

It’s unknown whether Spagnuolo also gets the rest of his pay.

Earlier in the day, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Spagnuolo was attractive to the Rams because their past two head-coaching hires had an offensive background — and both were fired.

Mortensen also reported that the Rams moved when they did on Spagnuolo due to concerns that he’d emerge as a candidate to coach the Chiefs.

As we understand it, G.M. Billy Devaney wanted Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. But, as we suggested last night, Garrett’s salary expectations allowed John Shaw to tilt the process toward Spagnuolo, who was Shaw’s first choice.
                              -01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
                            Working...
                            X