• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Tidbits from Bernie

General info...
    No press conference tonight.

They're hammering out the contract now.

I would guess that he'll be introduced at a presser Monday.

Spagnuolo didn't want control over the draft or free agency. He just wants to be able to set the roster with the players he has. He also believes in Devaney. They are old friends. There's a trust factor.

-B
    RE: Coordinators
    All I know is, he has guys lined up.

I don't know who they are. Sorry.

-B
    Garrett won't be the OC here.

-B
    I will try to explain the Garrett thing in a little while...

I need to leave my lair (home office) and walk down to the first floor and get some danged coffee brewing.

-B
    RE: Giants QB coach Chris Palmer
    Palmer would work. That sounds like a legit candidate.

Haslett was very interested in him as the OC next year if Haslett would have gotten the job here.

-B
    RE: Rosenbloom
    Couldn't agree more with the praise directed at Chip Rosenbloom.

This guy has told me all along that he wants to win, and he wants to honor his parents' legacy by building a proud franchise. It is especially important for young CR to keep his father's memory and legacy going; Chip really believes his dad has been something of a forgotten or overlooked figure in NFL history and I believe he's right about that. CR the elder was a great owner, one of the very best ever.

And as I wrote way back in September, even though the young CR is a softspoken guy, a genuinely polite and sensitive man, he also has some of his old man's fire and toughness. He wants to win. There should be no doubts now. He removed Zyggy, allowed Shaw to finally retire (for the most part) put a football man in charge, and has landed one of the top coaching candidates of this offseason.

CR promised a new beginning for the franchise and he's done his best to deliver.

And he's owned the freaking franchise for less than a year.

At this point I don't know how anyone could complain about him.

-B

Re: More Tidbits from Bernie

Stupid question from a guy living in Denmark, Europe. Who is this Bernie and how does he get all that information?

Right now he is my personal hero for saving my day with all that good info
    Last edited by clarasDK; -01-17-2009, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clarasDK View Post
      Stupid question from guy living in Denmark, Europe. Who is this Bernie and how does he get all that information?

Right now he is my personal hero for saving my day with all that good info

Bernie is a beat writer for the Rams in St. Louis and a very close personal friend of AvengerRam. Those two have a great relationship based on respect and brotherly love for each other.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
        Bernie is a beat writer for the Rams in St. Louis and a very close personal friend of AvengerRam. Those two have a great relationship based on respect and brotherly love for each other.

Stirring the pot a little Tx?

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post

So close is their relationship that Bernie runs into the Dome when he hears AV shout his name.
          JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
          :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
          Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

It is refreshing to hear Bernie's compliments toward Chip Rosenbloom. As fans, I think we need to put our faith in this man. Thus far, he has done everything we could hope for to turn this thing around. He has gracefully handled the firing of Scott Linehan as well as the front office restructuring concerning Zygmunt and Shaw. He elevated Billy DeVaney, a respected football man, into the GM position. He gave Haslett the courtesy of an interview before moving in a different direction. And he hired a guy (Spagnuolo) most of us liked from the start but had doubts about because of cost. He has also talked about the desire to win and not just make change for the sake of change. Chip's actions have backed up his words thus far, and we couldn't have asked for anything more up to this point.

And the part about Carroll Rosenbloom was 100% dead on: He was an outstanding owner who was very underrated. He was loved by his players and had a passion for winning. One of the great injustices in Rams history happened when he tragically passed away before he could see the Rams in the Super Bowl- which happened later that year.

In closing, today is a very optimistic day in Rams football and I think more good things will come shortly for this franchise.

Comment

I have to say... if I'm Jeff Gordon or Jim Thomas, who have been reporting on the coaching search for weeks, I think I'd be a bit miffed at the fact that Bernie is getting "credit" for "breaking" the story merely because he can post what he learns on his message board in 10 seconds rather than actually having to write an article.

Of course, when you report every rumor as if you are breaking a story (ahem... Garrett), you are bound to stumble into the right information eventually.
              Last edited by AvengerRam_old; -01-17-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

This is a great thread to see the inner workings of journalism and the unbreakable bond between a Floridian and his St. Louis idol.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                  I have to say... if I'm Jeff Gordon or Jim Thomas, who have been reporting on the coaching search for weeks, I think I'd be a bit miffed at the fact that Bernie is getting "credit" for "breaking" the story merely because he can post what he learns on his message board in 10 seconds rather than actually having to write an article.

Of course, when you report every rumor as if you are breaking a story (ahem... Garrett), you are bound to stumble into the right information eventually.
                  MEOW!

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post

I'm still 80% sure we're drafting Glenn Dorsey.

Comment

Lawlzors. Seriously, Bar-bq just made my day.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• SFCRamFan
                        This just in at STLSports from Bernie
                        by SFCRamFan
                        From Bernie's Pressbox:

We are reporting this:

Team president John Shaw has offered his recommendation to Rams owner Georgia Frontiere: Scott Lenihan as the new head coach.

She'll have to approve.

That may not happen until tomorrow.

It's not official. But getting close.
                        -01-18-2006, 08:34 PM
                      • RamWraith
                        Bernie knows his crap~!
                        by RamWraith
                        You all get after Bernie too much. Now this is some good writing!!...
                        -11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
                      • RamWraith
                        Bernie Bits 5-15-08
                        by RamWraith
                        Re: Holt's Comments on Donnie Avery
                        Posted: 13 May 2008 22:35 pm

Pretty easy to figure out.
                        Torry has been hearing all offseason how the Rams veteran WRs are old and slow and don't get yards after the catch. He's had Al Saunders holler at him in a film session, for always going down after making a catch instead of getting some yards. He's been hearing how the Rams added speed and YAC after drafting Avery.

Big Game isn't going to play along with that one.

It's pride.

-B

Re: Holt's Comments on Donnie Avery
                        Posted: 14 May 2008 00:46 am

I give 100 percent, unabashed kudos to Al Saunders.

Every guy on this offense needs to be challenged after the disgrace of 2007.

The standards have to be raised again.

And as good as Holt is, he can be better.

No free passes.

Saunders looked at film and didn't recognize Holt, because all he saw was Holt catching the ball and going down. And he asked Holt: where is the guy I used to coach?

If Holt doesn't like it?

Big effin' deal.

I for one am grateful that someone is trying to raise the standards.

-B

Re: Bernie: Column on Chris Long
                        Posted: 11 May 2008 23:47 pm

I mentioned a few guys in Saturday's column who had double-digit sacks as rookie DE. But historically the odds are against it. I noticed while doing research (I wasn't able to print it all) that a few rookie DE were able to get 7, 8 sacks. That's a good total. if Long can do that, it's a nice season - and then it's a question of when and if he can take it to the next level. Justin Smith had 8.5 sacks as a rookie and to this point hasn't cracked double digits - and in fact has become less productive as a pass rusher. Playing the run is a necessity and Long should be good at it.

-B

Post subject: Re: Bernie, Can Linehan become Tom Coughlin?
                        Posted: 14 May 2008 22:01 pm

Same principle ... which is: coach must have a better rapport with players.

But different personalities are in play... if anything Linehan has to be more forceful and demanding, where as Coughlin had to turn it down a couple of notches.

Whats worse: Edmonds to CHI or Bruce to SF?

Posted: 14 May 2008 15:39 pm

We were just talking about this on the radio -- good question, fun question.

Bruce for sure.

Original STL Ram. Here for the rising. His career rise coincided with the rise of the STL Rams. Won a SB with his catch.

Edmonds already had achieved good success with another franchise before coming here.

-B
                        -05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
                      • ramavenger
                        Bernie Bits
                        by ramavenger
                        BernieM wrote:
                        He had a good visit...
                        he told the coaches he wants to play here...
                        his agent and the Rams are trying to work out a contract...

Green Bay free safety and cornerback Bhawoh Jue has concluded his FA visit to San Diego and will visit the Rams next....Rams expect to make a strong run at him, unless he's intent on being a Charger.

If they get these three guys -- Coakley followed by Claiborne and Jue -- then this will be the end of phase one. Then they turn their attention to the draft, and they'll take another dip in free agency in June, when more players flood the market.

On the Pace front....potentially good news. I am led to believe that they're discussing a long-term contract extension and as of right now insiders at Rams Park are optimistic.

Cheers,
                        Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                        If Claiborne signs it will be for many years and at a big number -- but an artificially big number....the deal will actually be pretty decent for the Rams in terms of the cap.

As for Pace -- the parameters are well established by the recent deals given to W. Jones and C. Samuels.

Cheers,
                        B
                        -03-03-2005, 02:20 PM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        Bernie Bytes: Can Rams Run At San Francisco?
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        Bernie Bytes: Can Rams run at San Francisco?

BY BERNIE MIKLASZ
                        Tuesday, November 9, 2010

READING TIME, 5 MINUTES:

* One of the keys to Sunday's Rams @ ***** game will be the visiting team's ability to run the ball. The Rams have had their moments of dominance on the ground, but when you face as many eight-man fronts as the Rams do, it can be difficult to wedge openings for Steven Jackson. The Rams' average of 3.6 yards per rushing attempt ranks 27th among the 32 NFL teams. If the Rams can punch it out effectively against the *****, it'll set up play-action opportunities for Sam Bradford.

* The ***** are usually tough to run against. There have been exceptions to that -- and we'll get to that in a minute -- but opponents are averaging only 3.6 yards per carry against San Francisco. That's the sixth-lowest yield in the NFL. The ***** have allowed only 14 runs of 10+ yards; only Pittbsurgh has given up fewer breakout runs this season. Only 34.5 percent of the rushing attempts against the ***** have gained 4 or more yards; that's the fourth-best rate in the league.

* The Rams, who have an inconsistent running attack, will have to gear it up. Because you know that ***** HC Mike Singletary, the Hall of Fame middle linebacker, will put a special emphasis on stopping Jackson. Singletary will be challenging his guys all week. Given Singletary's tendencies for hyperbole, he'll try to turn this into a test of their manhood.

* Jackson has had three games against the Singletary-coached *****. SJ39 did have a 108-yard rushing afternoon against the ***** near the end of the 2008 season, but it required 32 carries to get there. In the three games vs. Singletary, SJ39 averaged 3.3 yards on his 75 rushes. He was stuffed six times. Only 5 runs netted 10+ yards.

* Two teams have been able to mash the *****' 3-4 defense: Kansas City and Philadelphia. The Chiefs ran it 39 times for 207 yards in a 31-10 rout of S.F. on Sept. 26 at Arrowhead Stadium. Jamaal Charles had 97 yards on 12 carries (8.1 yds per rush) and Thomas Jones jumped in for 95 yards on 19 carries (5.0 per). But there is a difference: KC has an effective system of shuttling their RBs. They use two guys. Each runner has different qualities. The change of pace can frustrate the defense. The Rams put the load on Jackson. They do not believe in the two-are-better-than-one system. As much as I respect Jackson, the Rams -- and even SJ -- would benefit greatly from a change of pace back to complement his power running. But can one primary back get after the *****? Well, yes. It happened once this season with Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy, who went 18 carries for 92 yards (5.1 per) during the Eagles' 27-24 win at S.F. on Oct. 10. But McCoy is not a classic power runner. He does run with authority, but he's more elusive than Jackson. In that game, the Eagles used their bigger back, Mike Bell, in...
                        -11-09-2010, 04:54 PM
                      Working...
                      X