Spagnuolo gets an escape clause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spagnuolo gets an escape clause

Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2009, 2:34 p.m.

Like Bill Parcells in Miami, who can walk away with pay once Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga transfers control of the franchise to Stephen Ross, new Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has finagled protection against a sale of the franchise for which he now works.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, Spagnuolo’s contract includes an escape clause, which allows him to walk away if/when the team is sold.

It’s unknown whether Spagnuolo also gets the rest of his pay.

Earlier in the day, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Spagnuolo was attractive to the Rams because their past two head-coaching hires had an offensive background — and both were fired.

Mortensen also reported that the Rams moved when they did on Spagnuolo due to concerns that he’d emerge as a candidate to coach the Chiefs.

As we understand it, G.M. Billy Devaney wanted Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. But, as we suggested last night, Garrett’s salary expectations allowed John Shaw to tilt the process toward Spagnuolo, who was Shaw’s first choice.

Re: Spagnuolo gets an escape clause

I figured that Garrett priced himself out of contention. He's making more as the OC than Spags will as the HC. Plus, I bet he will be the next Cowboys HC anyway.

Comment

I wonder if thats why Spag took the job in the first place...

Comment

As we understand it, G.M. Billy Devaney wanted Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. But, as we suggested last night, Garrett’s salary expectations allowed John Shaw to tilt the process toward Spagnuolo, who was Shaw’s first choice.
        This seems to contradict a Nick Wagoner article on the hiring which says Devaney's recommendation to ownership was, in fact, Spagnuolo. It seems like someone - whether it's Wagoner or Florio - doesn't have the right facts, but one way or another we have a coach.

Comment

The worst part of the article is it ends with a Shaw, Shaw, Shaw !!!

OK, Chip ...... you own the team and yes Shaw was a very close friend with yout mother, BUT your moving in a new direction and your not cutting the last string of the past.

Get the scissors out CHIP !

Maineram - :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by maineram View Post
            The worst part of the article is it ends with a Shaw, Shaw, Shaw !!!

OK, Chip ...... you own the team and yes Shaw was a very close friend with yout mother, BUT your moving in a new direction and your not cutting the last string of the past.

Get the scissors out CHIP !

Maineram - :helmet:
            I don't like playing the "I told you so" game, but....

Once a mama's boy...always a mama's boy.
            (Georgia on her death bed; "Now you listen to what Papa Shaw tells you." Chip; "Yes mama.")

Comment

As much as I hate Shaw...I cant disagree with him in this matter if he really did favor my #1 choice
              SPAGS

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                This seems to contradict a Nick Wagoner article on the hiring which says Devaney's recommendation to ownership was, in fact, Spagnuolo. It seems like someone - whether it's Wagoner or Florio - doesn't have the right facts, but one way or another we have a coach.
                I don't know Nick Wagoner from Adam, but if one of them has their facts wrong my money is on Florio.

Comment

I dont know why the hell you would want to sell the team in the first place, guess this really isnt chips thing..well, obviously..

Comment

Originally posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
                    As much as I hate Shaw...I cant disagree with him in this matter if he really did favor my #1 choice
                    SPAGS
                    I know...I'm so conflicted. I like who was selected (I had other favorites, but I can live with this one), but I hate the way the selection was made. Besides...what does this say about Devaney? If this guy was supposed to be the answer to our past personnel selection woes, what expectations can Ram fans have that he won't be overruled in other critical moves, or even worse, allowed to execute a move that wouldn't be the best one (such as hiring Garrett). If he's shown such poor judgment in selecting our next head coach, I don't know if I want this guy spearheading our draft day war room.

Comment

I want to believe Devaney's pick was Spagnuolo...
                      Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Originally posted by Varg6 View Post
                        I want to believe Devaney's pick was Spagnuolo...
                        I'm with you, man. I just hope it was all Billy on this one. The last thing we need is more uncertainty in the FO even if we did end up with the man we all wanted. Could it have been to appease the angry fans from Friday? We'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by bigredman View Post
                          I know...I'm so conflicted. I like who was selected (I had other favorites, but I can live with this one), but I hate the way the selection was made. Besides...what does this say about Devaney? If this guy was supposed to be the answer to our past personnel selection woes, what expectations can Ram fans have that he won't be overruled in other critical moves, or even worse, allowed to execute a move that wouldn't be the best one (such as hiring Garrett). If he's shown such poor judgment in selecting our next head coach, I don't know if I want this guy spearheading our draft day war room.

Most of what I read said that Spags demanded total control over the 53. He may well be the guy spearheading your draft day war room.

Comment

Who knows if any of this garbage is even true? According to all these reporters, Jason Garrett was supposed to be our coach. Last I checked, he wasn't. Why do people have to focus on all the negative crap? Who is this Mike Florio guy anyway and what makes him such and insider?

Comment

Originally posted by Ventesette View Post
                              Most of what I read said that Spags demanded total control over the 53. He may well be the guy spearheading your draft day war room.
                              This has actually been clarified in the media. There is a difference between control over the 53 man roster and the 80 man roster.

Devaney stated before that he was old school about this and believed the HC should have control over the 53 man roster and should be able to hire his own coaching staff. Control over the 53 man roster only means that the players already on the team answer to him and he controls who plays and who sits.

Devaney will control the draft and free agency with Spags input. Together they will assemble the 80 man roster they go to camp with. Then they are Spags'.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                                Interesting tidbit about Spagnuolo
                                by Nick
                                From a NY Daily News article about the Jets' coaching search and why Ryan may have passed Spagnuolo on their list. As a first time head coach who has really only been in this league for ten years, asking for full control over the roster may be a bit much for some organizations....
                                -01-15-2009, 10:16 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Spagnuolo Sets the Course
                                by RamWraith
                                Monday, January 19, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

Steve and Maria Spagnuolo call it divine intervention, some might say it was a simple twist of fate but through no intent of their own, the Spagnuolos were married at the world’s most famous Catholic destination four years ago.

The trip to Italy for a wedding had come as planned. When the pair had decided to get married, they had decided they didn’t want a big, fancy wedding. In fact, they wanted to get away to the country of their respective heritages.

So with much careful thought and planning, the couple opted to have the wedding in Italy. They wanted a simple ceremony in a Catholic church in Rome.

For their marriage to be acknowledged in the United States, there were plenty of obstacles including enough paperwork to put Mead out of business.

“Believe it or not, if you try to get married in another country, you talk about paperwork,” Spagnuolo said. “This paperwork around here is nothing.”

Indeed, the task of getting married in Rome proved too difficult and the Spagnuolos had to call an off the field audible.

As it turned out, that audible was as successful as any defensive call the Rams’ new head coach made in his two years as the wildly successful defensive coordinator of the New York Giants.

In his research of the various wedding opportunities in Italy, Spagnuolo recalled a rule that allowed for people to skip some of the inane paperwork and be married. Of course, to do this, the couple had to go through the easy task of getting married at the Vatican.

Sure, Vatican City is a country unto itself and was governed by its own rules but for most couples hoping to wed there, the nuptials were planned at least two years in advance.

“We are talking about the Vatican but this is my simple mind,” Spagnuolo said. “If you walk in the main basilica is right there but there are eight chapels, four on one side and four on the other. I’m saying to myself well how hard can it be? Just throw us in one of those chapels.”

Easier said than done. The Vatican only allows for two marriages a day, one at 10:30 a.m. and the other at 4 p.m. every day except Sunday.

Fortunately for the Spagnuolos, a priest who had worked with Steve with the Eagles in Philadelphia had relocated and had connections at the Vatican.

After forking over $200 for a best man and maid of honor to serve as witnesses, the Spagnuolos tied the knot.

“That was an act of God, divine intervention,” Spagnuolo said.

HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

Growing up in Whitinsville, Mass., just outside of Boston, Spagnuolo was one of five children to mother Carol.

From an early age, Spagnuolo was pretty much the All American kid. He loved sports, playing quarterback on the football team, second base...
                                -01-20-2009, 05:30 AM
                              • THOLTFAN81
                                BREAKING NEWS: Rams hire Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo to be next HC
                                by THOLTFAN81
                                NY Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will be the new head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

The Rams and Spagnuolo are currently negotiating the terms of his contract and indications are that we can expect the announcement of the hiring later today.

At this time no news conference is planned for Saturday at Rams Park.

Spagnuolo, 49, was the Giants defensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008 and came up with the game plan that resulted in five sacks of Tom Brady and a shocking upset of the undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

Before that, Spagnuolo learned his trade under acclaimed Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, working as an Eagles defensive assistant from 1999-2006.

Rams GM Billy and Spagnuolo have been friends for many years and that relationship obviously created a trust factor that helped Spagnuolo feel comfortable about taking the Rams job.

Spagnuolo wowed the Rams' brass with a presentation in Los Angeles on Thursday.

Congrats to Devaney and Rosenbloom.

-B
                                -01-17-2009, 12:04 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Spagnuolo's Staff Hard at Work
                                by RamWraith
                                Thursday, February 12, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

In the whirlwind days that followed his hiring as Rams head coach on Jan. 19, Steve Spagnuolo and daylight became strangers.

Even in Mobile, Ala., site of the annual Senior Bowl, Spagnuolo rarely ventured outside of his room at the Renaissance Battle House. When he did, it was to travel the few steps upstairs to meet with general manager Billy Devaney or a quick meeting with a friend in the lobby.

But the opportunity to go out and study college prospects never came close to fruition, never mind the chance to get a breath of fresh air or step out for lunch.

“The only time I walked out of the room was either to walk down to Billy’s room, which was on the next floor up, and the last night I walked down to the lobby to see somebody,” Spagnuolo said. “That was it. That was an interesting, wonderful experience. But I like to go down there and see guys I haven’t seen all year. I didn’t get a chance to do that.”

Instead, Spagnuolo holed up in his room and began piecing together a coaching staff. Over the next three and a half weeks, Spagnuolo rarely came up for air as the search for coaches continued.

Finally, on Monday, Spagnuolo announced the hiring of the final three coaches on his staff, bringing the total to 19 assistants and completing the long and arduous process of putting a staff together.

Thursday afternoon, Spagnuolo finally emerged from his Russell Training Center office with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, defensive coordinator Ken Flajole and special teams coordinator Tom McMahon in tow.

Needless to say, the completion of the staff is a weight off the shoulders of Spagnuolo, who throughout the process made it a point to be deliberate with his hires so as to do all possible diligence on potential candidates.

“What month are we in? It’s February, right?” Spagnuolo said, laughing.

For a first time head coach, the business of finding 19 coaches who fit the bill of what you are looking for is difficult enough without the added pressure to come in terms of building a 53-man roster.

Spagnuolo was quick to acknowledge the relief he had in completing his first major task as a head coach.

“It’s been a good overwhelming,” Spagnuolo said. “One of those overwhelmings you want to have happen to you.”

When Spagnuolo set out to put a staff in place, he did so with a few ideas for how he wanted it done.

At the top of the list was finding coaches who fit into the ethos of what Spagnuolo is installing in St. Louis. That included finding coaches he believed could relate to the players and teach them on a daily basis as well as guys with strong character.

“The whole model was to get great teachers with high character and the only way to really know how somebody...
                                -02-13-2009, 05:23 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Spagnuolo brings intensity to the job
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jeff Gordon
                                STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
                                Monday, Jan. 19 2009
                                As head coach of the Rams, former Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan
                                was in well over his head.

That became evident almost immediately. Linehan’s introductory news conference
                                was a vanilla presentation. His regime started out vanilla . . . and then went
                                sour as the losses mounted. He lacked the wherewithal to lead the whole group.

Naturally, some fans were worried that Giants defensive coordinator Steve
                                Spagnuolo could have similar issues making the transition to head coaching.

Spagnuolo, though, harbors no such concerns and projects no such weakness.

For 27 years he prepared for this opportunity. He has turned down other
                                head-coaching opportunities and he only took this one because he believed it
                                would work.

From the look of things, Spagnuolo seems more than ready to take on this
                                massive challenge. A shrinking violet, he is not.

“You just feel down deep, as a confident person, that this is the next step,”
                                Spagnuolo said during his introductory news conference at Rams Park on Monday
                                morning.

Spagnuolo has coached groups of players at a position. He has coached an entire
                                defense. And now he will coach the Rams.

“To me, only because I have a lot of confidence in myself, I believe it is a
                                natural progression,” he said.

Spagnuolo is not an imposing figure. He and Rams general manager Billy Devaney
                                traded short jokes during their initial media session together. They go way
                                back together, from their time with the Washington Redskins.

Their mutual comfort makes them a natural football team. (This is more than
                                they can say from their days as a basketball tandem, getting handled in pick-up
                                games by their Redskin colleagues.)

But Spagnuolo’s intensity is obvious. The man speaks directly. He has a quality
                                glare. He didn’t offer elaborate thoughts about his plans for the team, but he
                                spelled out his priorities clearly.

“Quite simply stated, team first,” he said. "It will always be about the team.
                                Nobody cares who gets the credit. It begins and starts there.”

If you’ve watched the Giants play, you’ve seen his defense. He brought the
                                aggressive blitz schemes with him from Philadelphia, where he spent eight years
                                as an assistant coach.

He won’t have the talent he had in Philly and New York, at least not initially,
                                but he will bring the principles that worked elsewhere.

The offense won’t be anything fancy.

“Offenses get tagged,” Spagnuolo said. “You have the West Coast, you have this
                                and that.

“I would say offensively, you have to be able to run the football and...
                                -01-19-2009, 04:29 PM
                              Working...
                              X