Who is your favorite all_time ram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is your favorite all_time ram?

The mood hit me to go outside the box for this one, since we all hope these recent developments with Spagnuolo will bring us back to glory.It got me to thinking about why I became a Rams fan- and the great teams and players they've had over the years. I will give you my top two- which is AWFULLY difficult, since there are so many great Rams I've rooted for since I was a little kid.

#2 is Jack Youngblood- A great, great, player whose toughness, production and leadership is legendary. That he had to wait 17 years to get into the Hall of Fame is an absolute joke. Went to at least 8 pro bowls and was the 1975 NFC defensive player of the year. Unofficially had 150.5 career sacks- an unbelievable total considering he was undersized even by yesterday's standards. Learned from the great Deacon Jones and anchored a line that was part of a Rams team in the 70's that led the DECADE in total defense. And of course playing 1 1/2 games (one of which was Super Bowl XIV) on a broken leg was the stuff from which legends are made. A class guy on and off the field, he was the guy who made me a Rams fan as a 5 year old boy.

#1 is Nolan Cromwell- My childhood idol. I played safety, special teams and held for placekicks during my high school football days and wore his number (#21) in every sport I ever played and wore it during my college baseball career and in semi-pro leagues thereafter. A stellar athlete who was one of the top two or three safeties of the 80's and a guy I don't feel gets his due today as an all-time great Ram (management even disrespected him by giving Lawrence Phillips his number). I had the good fortune of teaching with a guy who knew Nolan personally- and I got his jersey I wore as a kid signed by him along with a personal letter. Both are framed in my den.

Who are your favorite Rams?

Re: Who is your favorite all_time ram?

I'm not old enough to say one of the fearsome foursome.

I would have to say Kurt Warner

Comment

Ricky Prohel! Met him in person after the Super Bowl victory and was a great guy as well as a heck of a football player in the clutch!

Comment

I'm a Super Bowl Baby(no I wasn't born in 1999, just when my football interest began), so I'm gonna go with MARSHALL, MARSHALL, MARSHALL, followed closely by Pace. But from what I here I wish I could have cheered for Jack Youngblood, what a tough dude.

Comment

Wow...hmmm

Flipper Anderson, Lawrence McCutcheon, Vince Ferragamo, Jack Youngblood....London Fletcher (moment of silence).....

but my favorite is Isaac Bruce....had two classes in college with him.

Comment

First Ram jersey as a kid .......... still have it, doesn't fit !

# 85 Jack Youngblood

Wore that jersey every Sunday for YEARS

Maineram - :helmet:

Comment

the untouchable MARSHALL FAULK..

Comment

Marshall Faulk!!!!!!!!!!!! I am retired mailman and I used to deliver mail to $#@# Sports whick is/was the sports agents for Marshall, Torry Holt and others. Met Torry just once. Have met Mr Faulk on three different occasions. He IS the most courteous, soft spoken man and when he shakes your hand he doesn't crush it, BUT its like handling a bar of titianium--you can just "FEEL" the strength there.

Interesting story about that office(which has since moved). I would walkin about 9:30 AM or so and there was a reception area(no body was ever up there) with a high counter & a desk and one of those "cubical" walls there. So I would walk around the wall to the back area and there was a pool table there (DAMM GOOD THING I'M SOOOO HONEST) and it was ALWAYS covered with autographed footballs, helmets, and jerseys!!!!
                So I would walk to the back desk and yell out: "Mail's here" and from somewhere further back the beautiful secretary( I DO remember her looks--she could "arouse" even a brass monkey!!!!!) would yell back; "OK, thank you"
                END OF STORY
                sigpic

Comment

1) Jack Youngblood...look up toughest football player ever...2) Vince Ferragamo.

Comment

And Fred Freaking Dryer, #89...My first jersey in the 4th grade with his number, still have the pics not the jersey.

Comment

WOW, GREAT TOPIC

MY ALL TIME FAVORITE, WAS "HACKSAW REYNOLDS" I WAS ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT HIM IN JR. HIGH SCHOOL, AND IT QUICKLY BECAME MY NICKNAME ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM... HACKSAW GOT HIS NAME FROM A COLLEGE PEP RALLY CUTTING A CAR IN HALF WITH A HACK SAW...I GOT MINE FROM YAKK'N ABOUT HIM...IT STUCK AND THEY CALLED ME HACKSAW HAGINS, THOSE WHERE THE DAYS...

NOW MY SECOND WAS DEFINATELY #21 NOLAN CROMWELL, I DEFINATELY HAVE TO SAY WHEN I HEAR THE NAME "LAWRENCE McCUTCHEN" I STILL GET CHILLS. I STILL REMEMBER ADMIRING MERLIN AND PHIL OLSEN,, TOM MACK, DECON JONES, ROSIE GRIER, LUMAR LUNDY.......I REMEMBER A COMMERCIAL AS A KID, GEORGE ALLAN INTRODUCED HIM SELF, "HI IM GEORGE ALLEN HEAD COACH OF THE LOS ANGELES RAMS", AND THE MOST FEARED DEFENSE IN PRO FOOTBALL, THE FEARSOME FOURSOME...I THINK IT WAS A WHEATIES COMMERCIAL...I WAS YOUNG I THINK IN 5TH GRADE... BUT THAT IS WHAT MADE ME SO DOGMATIC AND FANATICAL ABOUT THE RAMS.....AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN......THEY COULD BE 0-16 AND I WOULDNT CHANGE MY COLORS,,,I HAVE RAM DNA, I WAS BORN AN ARIES, MY MOON WAS IN MARS, (WARRIOR) AND ANIN'T NOTHN CHANGING ME..

RAMS RULE!! TERRY HAGINS RAM56 :ram:

Comment

Warner or Faulk....both were great!!!!

Comment

has to be Jack Youngblood followed by Isaac Bruce.

Comment

Faulk first. Bruce second. Gabriel third.

Others: Pace, Big Jackie Slater, Youngblood, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Jeff Wilkins, Dennis Harrah

Other personal favorites: Nutten (as tough as youngblood), Proehl,

Other notables Cromwell, Conwell, McCutcheon

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Eric Dickerson is the reason I'm a Rams fan, so I would have to put him
                              #1. I think it is obvious Willie "Flipper" Anderson would be high on my list as well,but after Dickerson would be Marshall. Both are once a generation players and we had both(so did the Colts). Great topic

Jackie Slater would be first team honarable mention
                              Last edited by Flipper336; -01-21-2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment