X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agents the Rams have interest in

This from Randy Karraker....

Culled from various NFL sources...

Minnesota C Matt Birk. Appears to be their top FA priority...

Baltimore LB Bart Scott

NYJ DT C.J. Mosely

Seattle RB/FB Leonard Weaver

Don't know what they'll do to create cap room.
    I wonder if they're looking at Scott as a MIKE or SAM? Interesting that the two defensive players come from 3-4 schemes but Spags runs a 4-3.

Leonard Weaver fits coming from an offensive scheme the Rams will be running now. Not a hammer type FB but a versatile player that can run and catch a little.

Re: Free Agents the Rams have interest in

Think the Rams have any interest in Anquion Bolden? Matt Birk sounds like a good move.
    sigpic

Comment

Matt Birk sounds bueno to me.. HMMm Bart Scott interesting...

Comment

Glad to see that Birk is their top priority. Our line needs this guy in a hurry.

Comment

IIRC the Rams were after Scott when he was last a free agent, or there was at least some interest but he resigned with Baltimore
          @EssexRam_

Comment

I really hope they get Birk. Huge improvement!

Comment

This is a fairly mild free agency plan. I don't see us really breaking the bank on any of these guys, though Birk and Scott will probably command a decent amount of money.

It's easy to see why the Rams would be interested in Birk. Even at his age he's still a quality center in this league. And we certainly need help at the position, because Leckey IMO is a back-up at best and Romberg has probably overachieved as a starter here. Should the Rams sign Birk to a 2-3 year deal, I hope it doesn't rule out the Rams acquiring a young center as well, perhaps in the mid rounds of the draft, who could learn behind Birk and eventually take that role. Perhaps that could wait a year, but we need to be prepared.

As tomahawk pointed out, the Rams were interested in Bart Scott a couple of years ago when he was a free agent. Different regime back then, but he's a quality player so it's not surprising we'd be interested in him again. He's still a relatively young player and has potential to play inside at Mike and outside as well. He's a very capable blitzer, and should the Rams sign him, they aren't handcuffed by trying to find a MLB in the draft because they can slot him there. If they find a younger one they like, they can slide Scott outside w/ Witherspoon.

Mosley I'm not incredibly familiar with, but I know he's been playing on the Jets' 3-4 defensive front. As a two-gapping 3-4 lineman, he could be a contender for a nose tackle rotation here, especially since he's 300+ pounds. From what I've been able to find, he's a short and relatively powerfully built guy who is good against the run. He has some inconsistencies in technique but has raw ability that Spags might be able to unleash.

Weaver is a young guy who converted from tight end but it sounds like he's doing it well. Not a finished product just yet but is capable blocking out of the backfield. Offers some versatility as a runner and a receiver due to his background as a tight end. He had two touchdown catch-and-runs of 43 and 62 yards against the ***** this season.

As for what they'll do to create cap room, we all see the writing on the wall. Something has to be done with a select group of key players whose contributions are declining as they continue to age. The question becomes what the Rams and Holt can work out to try and reduce his figure. If it's a choice between carrying Holt's full $10.2 million cap charge and releasing him, I suspect the latter is going to happen. But hopefully they can find a way to work something out.

Comment

dont know how much truth is in these claims but saying they are true...

no OT? but a linebacker..

does that mean that perhaps we not looking at Curry,but one of the OT`s in the draft..?

if we do go OT in the first and get Bart Scott to play the middle..id like to see us pick up Clay Matthews with say our third round pick, tho he may go slightly higher than that... but he is a player i like the look of and IMHO would make a good SAM for us,not too great in coverage...but is a good blitzer,great pedigree,great work ethic,great team player etc..
                Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -02-10-2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Bart Scott? Ka-Kow! Let's beef up that D.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
                    if we do go OT in the first and get Bart Scott to play the middle..id like to see us pick up Clay Matthews with say our third round pick, tho he may go slightly higher than that... but he is a player i like the look of and IMHO would make a good SAM for us,not too great in coverage...but is a good blitzer,great pedigree,great work ethic,great team player etc..
                    Matthews could potentially go in the bottom half of the first round, so he likely won't be there in the third barring something unforeseen. Could be an option with our second round pick if he gets by teams like New England, Miami, Baltimore, the Giants, and then even Detroit or KC at the top of the second. Depending on how they view Matthews, he could be a contender in any of those spots.

Comment

I would like to have Bart Scott. That's the only one that interests me. Birk I would pass on due to age....

Comment

I would take Birk despite his age. He is still a talented player, and probably will still be able to play at a high level for a few more years. It would buy us a little time on finding our center of the future in this years draft. We can use those picks on other areas of need.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
                          dont know how much truth is in these claims but saying they are true...

no OT? but a linebacker..

does that mean that perhaps we not looking at Curry,but one of the OT`s in the draft..?

probably, but not necessarily. looks like they're trying to set up that scenario... but nothing's written in stone yet.

As a team, you gotta see what you can get in FA, THEN figure out who you're picking in the draft. OT's as a position, normally demand a heck of a lot more cash than lb's do. So i think it makes fiscal sense for the Rams to try to fill the cheaper "holes" in FA and grab an OT in the draft rather than pay to steal one from another team. If they can get a FA linebacker like Scott and/or Center like Birk... that will free up the #2 selection for an OT. i don't think it necessarily precludes that they will go OT, but it makes sense to try to fix the rest of the puzzle and leave the pick for a premier young OT.

But if a talented OT becomes available (there's lots of free agency time for that to happen), i don't think the team would not pursue him because they've "already decided" where they're going with the 1st round pick. Looks like they've pinpointed who they think can impact the starting line up and are seeing who they can get and for how much. its obviously all conjecture at this point, but that would make sense to me. gotta spend if they're gonna rebuild it.

so far, i'm all smiles when it comes to Devaney's approach so far. Let's hope they got the cap space to capture the pieces they need.

Comment

In the Vikings playoff game this past year, Birk was getting it handed to him on passing downs. Comentators kept going back to him coming off the field as the camera followed him to his spot on the bench.

I know one game doesn't make or break a guy but I watched him at the end of the year and playoff game knowing he would be a potential UPGRADE for us this year at center.

The good thing is that Childress runs the Reid/Shurmer offense so he should fit right in with the line calls and such.

Maineram - :ram:

Comment

There is this one guy called Richard Owens....

Comment