Our Red Zone Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Red Zone Offense

What do you feel is the biggest factor to why the Rams have had problems in the red zone?
    Martz's suspect playcalling
    40.00%
    Bulger's inability to check down
    44.00%
    Poor push by the offensive line
    0.00%
    Not having a great TE target
    8.00%
    Other
    8.00%

Re: Our Red Zone Offense

it aint martz for me because this problem has only come about in the bulger era. Yeah I know D's are more prepared for our offense and the staff isn't the same, but i think he does need to get some confidence near the goaline, hopefully it wont be long before he does.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

Originally posted by rampower
      it aint martz for me because this problem has only come about in the bulger era.
      I am one of the biggest detractors of Bulger, as I don't think he has what it takes to excel in the game, but he aint the only reason.

The RAMS have always had trouble in the red-zone because it takes away from our ability to spread the field and take advantages of mismatches. Think about it. Most of our scoring in TGSOT era was done from outside the 20. WR that could scamper around the 3rd and 4th DB while the 1s and 2s were chasing Bruuuuuuuce and Holt. Or it was when the 1s and 2s were just plain beat by Holt's speed or Ike's cuts {thinkin' about the 49er DB that was picking his shorts off the turf in Ike's 5 TD game in 99 :king: }, and Warner's ability to hit them in stride with a "mean deep ball".

If Bulger can learn to make a decent percentage of those deep balls count, and our 4th and 5th WR can be used affectively, then we will return to the Promised Land. Even with Martz' questionable red-zone play-calling.

gap

Comment

Gap,
        Dont you think that Mike Martz needs to adjust slightly on his game plan and now look to use Jackson in his pre game planning (I think that he will).

The fact that we have him should now improve our red zone offence by a country mile.

Comment

In this case I have to agree with Mike Martz - It's the play calling.

Please - an end around on the goal line...

Comment

I didn't get to see the game because I believe NFLST is about $100 over priced, and the officiating in the game is too inconsistant for the high level that the game is supposed to be played at. If the officials expect the players to play a perfect game, I don't see why we can't expect the officials to call a perfect game.

(Stepping off of soapbox to answer question)

Based on what I heard, he did try to push it in before one of his patented goofy plays. Maybe he just needs to learn how to disguise his running plays they way he tries to disguise his passing plays.

gap

Comment

It's Martz and his playcalling. Checking down on every dad gum red zone play dosen't necessarily breed success.

Comment

I still think that an adequate Tight End with playmaking ability would help tremendously. It gives Bulger another target, providing that he can pick him up. Just having one as a true threat would force defenses to cover him; possibly freeing up Faulk for a goal line catch(?). Sometimes I think that Bulger panics with so little room to operate, as well. But I digress. I still want a playmaker in the tight end position...

:helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by SSGRamFan
                  I still think that an adequate Tight End with playmaking ability would help tremendously.
                  I concur, SSG. After losing Conwell, this team wanted us to think that the tight end wasn't important enough offensively to warrant a significant cap committment. But then last season they match an offer for Manu that makes him one of the top ten highest paid tight ends in the league. Go figure.

Comment

I think the majority of it is Martz's playcalling. When in the Red Zone, your mentality must change. Since you have less area, there should be plays that take that into account. Even with Warner, there were issues in the Red Zone. I agree with Dez though, I would like to see Jackson more in the red zone, at least with Marshall too.

Comment

Originally posted by RamDez
                      Gap,
                      Dont you think that Mike Martz needs to adjust slightly on his game plan and now look to use Jackson in his pre game planning (I think that he will).

The fact that we have him should now improve our red zone offence by a country mile.
                      And I think that Martz is adjusting his game plan to use Steven Jackson more. Even though they've been talking about it all preseason, I was surprised at how much Martz actually used Jackson in the game. Everyone talked about using past running backs like Lamar Gordon and Trung Canidate to spell Marshall Faulk and add another dimension to the Rams' weaponry, but they were never really utilized as much when Faulk was healthy. The fact that Jackson fumbled on his first carry and still got plenty of playing time shows me how much confidence Martz has in him.

I think there's a simple solution to solving the Rams' red zone problems, and that is to spread the ball around. This can be achieved both by Martz's playcalling and Bulger checking down. Steven Jackson can power the ball in there, Marshall can be used effectively in the flats and on screens, Dane Looker has glue for hands (yeah, yeah, I know he fumbled), and Holt, Bruce, McDonald, and Curtis have the speed to get open at any point. It's just a matter of timing and spreading the ball around.

Comment

Staffing at key receiving positions has changed and we aren't getting the ball to the running backs (faulk/replacemants when injured) through the air as much, I am sure these things have greatly contributed to the rams decline from a martz/warner led team dropping from the highest red zone td number (42) in the league in 2001, to 18 last season. (38 in 1999 and 49 in 2000).

during this period of red zone productivity, our td % per offensive drive was;

30% 1999
                        36% 2000
                        33% 2001
                        19% 2002
                        22% 2003,

seeming to follow the trend of drop off in red zone production for the team.

so martz used to know how to do it, it is imperative he relearns how to call the shots near that goaline.
                        Last edited by rampower; -09-15-2004, 10:11 AM.
                        The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Rams had the most visits to the red zone in the NFL last season. A couple of tweaks and we could be rolling.

Comment

The point has already been addressed, the dynamics of the situation are unique. Area is less. Timing changes. Scrums have to be moved.

Someone has to be responsible for putting the players into the right position to execute. Each situation has to have been thought through previously and adjustments need to have been anticipated. That falls on the coaching staff.

Comment

I think they need to go to a power I inside the 10 and make full use of both Jackson and Faulk in the back field at the same time. This would open up alot of options.

It works for me on Madden 05' ! :ramlogo:
                              JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
                              :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
                              Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment