• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz raves about offense

Compiled by Jeff Gordon
    Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
    09/13/2004

Mike Martz talks with Rams QB Marc Bulger on Sunday.
    (AP)

Rams coach Mike Martz can't stop raving about his team's offensive line play in Sunday's 17-10 victory over Arizona.

"The offensive line, as a group, was just outstanding," Martz told reporters Monday afternoon. "I have to single out Andy McCollum as having the best game he's had since he's been here. He was dominating.

"I told our staff today that I felt like this was probably our best performance as an offensive line since I've been here. Any time you rush for those kind of yards (176 yards; 5.9 yards per carry) and don't give up any sacks, that's pretty exceptional. When you look at the tape, they are sustaining blocks. The things they were able to do were, I was very pleased. I was very pleased how physical they were.

"They haven't missed a beat, like they did in camp. They are just a tough group. We've had all kinds of different combinations in there throughout the training camp, but (the coaches) kept everybody focused. (Chris) Dishman comes in, loses 20 pounds, right now he's played through the preseason, gotten himself into shape, played very well. Grant Williams on the right side was doing a terrific job."

Technically, teams do not have to issue information about injuries until Wednesday. So when Martz was asked about the injuries to two of his five linebackers -- Pisa Tinoisamoa (dislocated shoulder) and Trev Faulk (hamstring) -- he said, "I kind of know what that injury situation is and we'll be fine."

Other highlight's of Martz's press conference:

On his team's offensive miscues:

"In the first three possessions, offensively, we turn it over, which is always a concern. If we hadn't done that, we were in position to really take charge of that game early."

On the red-zone inefficiency:

"There were a couple of situations in the red zone where basically I screwed up the verbiage in it and we had to call a timeout. I would take that third-down-and-two (Cam Cleeland tight end around run) play back. I felt like the structure defense they do in the goal line it would be good. I guessed there a little bit and they came off the edge. We didn't get the ball in the end zone. That's a coaching error. I can do a better job of that."

On Marc Bulger's interception:

"After looking at the interception, I know what he did. He was fine where he was throwing it. We had a receiver turning up instead of turning out on that thing; he brought the defender, at the last second when (Bulger) was throwing the ball, right into the throwing lane. He tried to pull off the ball and the ball took off on him. . . .

"I thought Marc played very well. I thought he did a really nice job. Here he comes again in the fourth quarter, we have to respond, we're behind, he takes us all the way down and we score. That's why he's our quarterback."

On the play of running back Marshall Faulk:

"He was just outstanding. This was the best he's been at this time of the season since he's been here, in my opinion. He looked strong, fast – I thought he was exceptional. Some of the runs he made, he makes two safeties miss. In one run, he makes the same safety miss twice. He was terrific."

On the play of defensive end Bryce Fisher:

"He had three tackles, seven assists, a sack for 16 yards, a hit on the quarterback and a deflected pass. By anybody's standards for a defensive end, that's a terrific afternoon.

On the play of defensive tackle Damione Lewis:

Three tackles, three assists, a sack for an eight-yard loss. I thought Damione played very well. The whole defensive line did a nice job in there."

On the rest of the defensive effort:

"Obviously the linebacking crew did a good job. The linebacking crew, overall, was exceptional. Aeneas Williams and Jerametrius Butler . . . Jerametrius basically had six tackles, three assists and broke up two passes. They tried to go after him a little bit with (Larry) Fitzgerald. I thought he responded very well.

"We gave up three (long) runs. There were a couple of things in there that we can fix. There were three runs in there they hit on us that we can clean up."

On the special teams lapse:

"The breakdown in the kickoff return, we had a guy right there to make the tackle and he didn't make the tackle. That's his responsibility to do that. That's it. That's accountability."

On his ill-fated replay challenge on Steven Jackson's fumble:

"I challenged that fumble based on information on the field, just misinterpreted it. It's a long story. Andy (McCollum) did recover it. He was on his back and thought that was enough. One of the players, I won't tell you who, said 'He clearly had the ball, it's our ball, challenge it.' I thought he was talking about the running back. So that's what I challenged. The official did a nice job, (saying) 'Are you sure that's what you want?' Bad information. I screwed up."

Re: Martz raves about offense

The breakdown in the kickoff return, we had a guy right there to make the tackle and he didn't make the tackle. That's his responsibility to do that. That's it. That's accountability."

That's my boy Garrett. He came back on the next kickoff and hit someone, but he can't have these lapses anymore. Ever.

Comment

"I told our staff today that I felt like this was probably our best performance as an offensive line since I've been here. Any time you rush for those kind of yards (176 yards; 5.9 yards per carry) and don't give up any sacks, that's pretty exceptional. When you look at the tape, they are sustaining blocks. The things they were able to do were, I was very pleased. I was very pleased how physical they were.
      For some reason, I'm a lot more comfortable with the lineup of Pace (an All-Star), Dishman (a huge, physical run-blocker), McCollum (back to his natural position), Timmerman (always consistent), and Williams (steady and gets the job done) than last year's lineup. They do seem to be a lot more physical.
      "There were a couple of situations in the red zone where basically I screwed up the verbiage in it and we had to call a timeout. I would take that third-down-and-two (Cam Cleeland tight end around run) play back. I felt like the structure defense they do in the goal line it would be good. I guessed there a little bit and they came off the edge. We didn't get the ball in the end zone. That's a coaching error. I can do a better job of that."
      Thank you.
      "I thought Marc played very well. I thought he did a really nice job. Here he comes again in the fourth quarter, we have to respond, we're behind, he takes us all the way down and we score. That's why he's our quarterback."
      You have to admit, he does deliver most of the time in the clutch. It's too bad he can't (yet) be consistent throughout the game.
      On the play of defensive end Bryce Fisher:

"He had three tackles, seven assists, a sack for 16 yards, a hit on the quarterback and a deflected pass. By anybody's standards for a defensive end, that's a terrific afternoon.

On the play of defensive tackle Damione Lewis:

Three tackles, three assists, a sack for an eight-yard loss. I thought Damione played very well. The whole defensive line did a nice job in there."
      The two biggest question marks on the starting defensive line come through.

Comment

Originally posted by sMartz
        It's a long story. Andy ... was on his back and thought that was enough.
        Can we go over this again please. Andy thought what was enough? Recovering the fumble for the refs to see? Laying on his back pleased with himself that he knew he had averted a potential disaster for the rookie's first touch? Throw a red flag because he was at the bottom of the pile?

Maybe you shouldn't try long stories Martz ... because I don't have a clue what you are talking about when you just say "that was enough." I'm afraid if you can't be clear in explaining it to us, then it can't be very clear in your own mind what you are thinking. Pre-season is over, time to put the sMartz to work.

Comment

adarian....let me try to zplain......

Martz takes his players word for it. He backs up the team on the field. When McCollum said he had it, he trusted McCollum. To me, trusting your players on the field does make you...."sMartz". In a good sense of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
            adarian....let me try to zplain......
            OK. Good enough for me. Now go zplain it to sMartz too so he knows what to say next time ...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
              Martz raves about offense
              by RamWraith
              Compiled by Jeff Gordon
              Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
              09/13/2004

Rams coach Mike Martz can't stop raving about his team's offensive line play in Sunday's 17-10 victory over Arizona.

"The offensive line, as a group, was just outstanding," Martz told reporters Monday afternoon. "I have to single out Andy McCollum as having the best game he's had since he's been here. He was dominating.

"They haven't missed a beat, like they did in camp. They are just a tough group. We've had all kinds of different combinations in there throughout the training camp, but (the coaches) kept everybody focused. (Chris) Dishman comes in, loses 20 pounds, right now he's played through the preseason, gotten himself into shape, played very well. Grant Williams on the right side was doing a terrific job."

Starting this season, teams do not have to issue information about injuries until Wednesday. So when Martz was asked about the injuries to two of his five linebackers -- Pisa Tinoisamoa (dislocated shoulder) and Trev Faulk (hamstring) -- he said, "I kind of know what that injury situation is and we'll be fine."

Other highlight's of Martz's press conference:

On his team's offensive miscues:

"In the first three possessions, offensively, we turn it over, which is always a concern. If we hadn't done that, we were in position to really take charge of that game early."

On the red-zone inefficiency:

On Marc Bulger's interception:

"After looking at the interception, I know what he did. He was fine where he was throwing it. We had a receiver turning up instead of turning out on that thing; he brought the defender, at the last second when (Bulger) was throwing the ball, right into the throwing lane. He tried to pull off the ball and the ball took off on him. . . .

"I thought Marc played very well. I thought he did a really nice job. Here he...
              -09-13-2004, 03:21 PM
            • RamWraith
              Rams Q-and-A: Martz on Monday
              by RamWraith
              Compiled by Jeff Gordon
              STLtoday.com Sports
              Monday, Nov. 15 2004

Rams coach Mike Martz was in a predictably good mood the day after his team
              handled the Seattle Seahawks 23-12.

“We’re very pleased with the effort of this football team, the intensity we
              were able to keep throughout the game,” Martz said. “It didn’t wane at any
              time. Even with some of the big plays they were able to hit on our defense, we
              were able to run to the ball.

“We had some mistakes in the running game. We had some guys out of place and
              make a mental error, which resulted in some big plays. They made some plays,
              obviously, they are a good football team. They are going to do that.

“A couple of real big indications would be the red zone stops, to get down in
              that situation and not let them in and hold them out from scoring touchdowns
              speaks volumes about the resolve and the tenacity.

“We didn’t do everything right, there is no question about that. There is a lot
              to fix and continue to get better that. As long as you play with that type of
              attitude and enthusiasm, you can accomplish an awful lot.”

Here were some other highlights of the news conference:

On the play of the offensive line:

“We had to shake things up there in the fourth quarter. For Grant (Williams) to
              go to left tackle, (Chris Dishman) has got a knee situation and Tommy (Nutten)
              goes in and plays very well. It has taken him some time to get his weight and
              his strength back up, but at this point he’s back up to where he was when he
              left, weight-wise and strength-wise. I’m very confident about his ability to
              start at left guard.

“Blaine Saipaia came in and did a terrific job. There is a lot to like about
              (Saipaia). Coming out of college, we had such a high grade on him. We kind of
              tracked him a little bit. We were able to get ahold of him, bring him in here.
              As we went through practice, it became very evident he has excellent feet. He
              has got terrific punch. He’s a strong guy, learns quickly, is a quick study on
              a lot of the stuff. Very physical player. When we moved him to right tackle, he
              was a fish out of water. He didn’t take to the pass rush very well. But over
              time, he’s done a great job on that.

"He has enough confidence to play and not be stressed out. He is very poised. I
              wasn’t sure he would play as well as he did. People say he’s too short at I
              guess 6-3 or whatever, I don’t understand that. I don’t know. If you block
              them, that’s good enough.

“I felt like the New England game was an exception to what this group really
              is. I thought they responded very well. Anytime you rush for 200 yards against
              anybody, that...
              -11-16-2004, 05:40 AM
            • RamWraith
              Martz Speaks! Highlights from Monday's press conference
              by RamWraith
              Compiled By Jeff Gordon
              ONLINE SPORTS COLUMNIST
              Monday, Sep. 26 2005

Rams coach Mike Martz is understandably enthusiastic about rookie tackle Alex
              Barron, who shored up the offensive line during Sunday’s 31-27 victory over the
              Titans.

He dressed for the first time as a NFL player and tagged in for beleaguered
              right tackle Blaine Saipaia.

“When we put (Barron) in one-on-one (practice) situations . . . his protections
              in one-on-ones against Leonard Little and our better players, he’s had good
              success,” Martz said. “Then we started to rotate him in with our offense. He’s
              been very successful in practice. That’s why we had him up.

“I thought, physically, he was ready to play. Physically, from a technique
              standpoint, he is very good at his point. He is outstanding. Making sure he
              doesn’t leave somebody unblocked, he is doing the right thing, is the thing I
              worry about. He’s further along than I thought he would been.”

“We felt like he was ready in the event we needed a pass protector to deal with
              a defensive end by himself, because of his ability.

“We had some real protection issues. Blaine was struggling, to be blunt about
              it. We’re trying to get things going and we couldn’t.

“When we drafted Alex, you watch a guy on tape, you kind of get a feel for the
              tenacity and how much he likes playing, the passion, how he plays the game. He
              was awful rough around the edges. When he came through mini-camp, I was
              concerned about the toughness. I just didn’t see it.

“Since the day he stepped onto this facility in camp, he’s remarkably different
              that what I remembered in mini-camp. Everything he’s done, he’s exhibited the
              toughness and that physical part of the game I didn’t know if he had or not.
              That has allowed him to go where he is right now. That’s all to his credit and
              credit to the line coaches for getting him ready.”

Here were some other highlights of the Martz news conference:

On the overall state of the team: “I’m really pleased with the way
              the team finished the game. We had some breaks go against us, particularly in
              the second half. We had some momentum going offensively. We felt like we were
              in position to really take control of the game. Defensively we got better as
              the game goes along. We made plays at the end of the game to keep them out of
              the end zone to win this game.

“There is a toughness there that exists in this football team. We’re still not
              doing enough things right, technically. We still have some blown assignments. I
              think we did find a right tackle in this game, which is awfully big for us.

“We’ve got a long way to go both sides of the ball. We’re...
              -09-27-2005, 04:58 AM
            • RamDez
              Head Coach Mike Martz
              by RamDez
              Head Coach Mike Martz
              Tuesday, October 5, 2004

(Opening statements)
              “There are some things that I would like to mention that are really outstanding from that game: Tyoka (Jackson) came in and had three hits on the quarterback, two pressures, two tackles, and two assists, really on third downs, which is terrific. Pisa (Tinoisamoa) had nine tackles and five assists, 14 tackles all totaled, and half a sack. Jerametrius (Butler) had the interception and he broke up two passes. Leonard Little had four tackles and three assists, for a total of seven. He had three hits on the quarterback, he had a pressure, he had one sack, and, of course, he recovered a fumble, so he had a terrific game. Rich Coady is our defensive player of the week with four tackles and six assists, that’s 10 tackles, two passes broken up, a forced fumble, and a quarterback hit, just a terrific evening for Rich. On offense, Marshall (Faulk) and Isaac (Bruce) are our offensive players of the week. Marshall, obviously, with the big night: 23 carries, 121 yards, a total of 146 yards, and Isaac, for the fourth week in a row, starts the season with another 100-yard game. (Isaac) was not just catching the ball, but he was vital in the running game, in terms of blocking down the field, which he always is. He is a complete player, very unselfish player. I thought Marc (Bulger) played really well. The offensive line played very well. They came out fast and furious in all three phases, and that’s what we asked them to do, attack, be physical, not worry about mistakes, play fast. I thought we played disciplined football. We did not turn the ball over. We got two turnovers. We had a very limited amount of penalties, which is something that we have been trying to stress. We are getting better, we really are. That first half was played at a high level, and that’s what we are asking them to do. We’ve got a lot of room to go yet. We can get a lot better, and we need to go in that direction. We came out of that game, physically, in good shape. But I’m very pleased with the effort of this football team. I’m ready to put this one to bed, because we have a big one up in Seattle.”

(On the Rams’ defense)
              “(The *****) really tried to get something going, and the same running schemes that have hurt us in the past, we shored that up a little, the stretch and cutback type of plays. Penetration by the defensive line, by and large, the entire defensive line was a exceptional. They played really well. And Ryan Pickett, who plays nose guard, just won’t get credit for anything. You’re not in the position to rush the passer, so you’re not going to get sacks. All you do is get beat on the whole time. You’re not going to make a lot of tackles, but what you do, it’s the most unselfish position in football. All you do is take the hits and try to throw them off, so the linebackers and everyone else make the play. But he was penetrating, getting back into the backfield, and...
              -10-06-2004, 12:00 AM
            • RamWraith
              Rams Making Defensive Adjustments
              by RamWraith
              Tuesday, August 23, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
              Senior Writer

With a day to reflect and the chance to watch tape, coach Mike Martz saw some things he didn’t like in the defense and is ready to make some changes.

“Our defense is all in,” Martz said. “We are going to eliminate now. We are just going to trim off now. Same thing on offense, we have looked at some things now we start trimming away and zeroing in and that’s what we are doing. While we are doing that we are looking at personnel too.”

Martz narrowed the problems of Sunday afternoon down to about six plays, but those six plays were big enough that it made St. Louis have a rough day against San Diego.

The biggest play came right away when running back LaDainian Tomlinson took off for a 55-yard touchdown run. Martz said the play actually broke down because of a mistake by the offense.

“The first play, the offensive tackle blew the assignment and you key things off what they do,” Martz said. “One of our guys took on the blocker with the wrong shoulder which you can’t do and it spilled into the safety. The corner on the right side got wrapped up and taken down by a receiver. He probably saw it. That play should be no more than a 15-yard gain.”

Some of the other big plays that hurt the Rams’ chances were Michael Turner’s 55-yard run, a safety and an interception return for a touchdown. It is those types of plays that can hurt any team trying to win any game, preseason or otherwise.

“We have got to eliminate big plays,” linebacker Dexter Coakley said. “We have got to go back to work on Tuesday and try to correct those mistakes. You can’t give up big plays and want to be successful in this league.”

Some of the problems of the defense were directly correlated to the defensive sets the Rams had in.

“Some of the stuff that we are doing front wise we are going to get away from,” Martz said. “We don’t like it. Some of the stuff that hurt us last year doesn’t fit our personality or our personnel. So we are going to change some of those things. A lot of this is about coaching.”

IVY IMPRESSIVE: While DeJuan Groce more than held his own as the new starting cornerback opposite Travis Fisher, Corey Ivy continued to impress Martz and the coaching staff.

“Corey Ivy, I think is pretty significant for us right now,” Martz said. “I am very pleased with him. (He’s) very aggressive, very quick. He just makes plays. He just shows up all the time.”

Ivy has indeed had a knack for being around the ball during the preseason. He comes up with an interception or two in almost every practice, but his hitting ability was a relative unknown.

Ivy made it clear that he is a more than willing tackler Sunday with a number of impressive hits. He finished the game with four tackles and a forced fumble, all with a cast on...
              -08-24-2005, 04:52 AM
            Working...
            X