Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It may not be glamorous, but I'm ready for some Smash-Mouth Rams football this year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It may not be glamorous, but I'm ready for some Smash-Mouth Rams football this year.

I don't see the passing game returning to the glory years ... for all kinds of arguable reasons. But I do see LBs punishing receivers for coming over the middle. I do see safeties stopping players in their tracks on 3rd down preventing a 1st. I do see DTs getting an inside push. I do see the OL moving the stack. I do see WRs not diving to the turf but struggling for an extra couple of yards. I do see RBs not being stopped at the 1st point of impact. All of this I don't just expect to see, but have already seen. It's smash-mouth football on both sides of the ball. Finesse is OK at some times; but beating up on your opponent physically, mentally, and emotionally is OK at all times. I'd be perfectly happy to see the Rams change their rep from GSOT to Smash-Mouth UnLimited on a full-time basis.

Re: It may not be glamorous, but I'm ready for some Smash-Mouth Rams football this year.

I just dont see it happening bro. The team is not built for that. But I would not be unhappy if we did go that way

Comment

Re: It may not be glamorous, but I'm ready for some Smash-Mouth Rams football this year.

Originally posted by adarian_too
      I don't see the passing game returning to the glory years ... for all kinds of arguable reasons.
      And I think anyone expecting that is kidding themselves. This isn't the GSOT circa '99-'01, but that doesn't mean it can't be effective like many other offenses in the league.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsInfiniti
        And when the smoke finally settles ....
        by RamsInfiniti
        What are we going to see from this Ram's team?

I guess this is a pre-camp prognosis of some sort. I typically try to look at the season each year, and I usually come up with a semi-inflated, overhyped outlook of the Rams. This is simply because I love the Rams. You always make things you love out to be better than they actually are ...

Well, with this new, and improved, version of the Rams, I don't feel like I can make an accurate assessment. Honestly, I think this team can end up with anywhere from 4 to 10 wins. And there are a variety of reasons I believe this ...

First, I've indicated time and time again that I am a firm supported of the theory that there is not much gap in talent from team to team across the NFL. When we talk about talent, we talk about the physical and mental ability of players to be successful and make plays. Just because a player has talent does not mean he will be successful in the NFL, it simply means he has a shot. There is a reason there is an NFL combine each year. It is to see which players can physically, and to some extent mentally, cut it in the NFL. From team to team, across the board, the talent is pretty similar ...

What distinguishes how the talent translates on the field? Well, in the short term you have to look at experience, morale, the "system", the coaches. In the long term, you have to look at how well such players adapt to change, how versatile they are, whether they can stay healthy, whether they are content with where they are, who they are, and who they might be ...

So what are the major problems with the Rams of 2009? Simply lack of inexperience from my point of view, at least at most positions. Lack of morale at others ...

Look at what we have. A new upbeat coaching staff with a vision of a modern WCO and physical defense. A QB that is smart and accurate, a protypical freak of a RB, quick, agile fresh WR's, an established TE, a strong young offensive and defensive line, hungry young linebackers, world class speed and nice size in the secondary ...

So what's the problem? A QB lacking morale after the beating he has taken, injuries to that chisled freak of a running back, questionable depth behind him, WR's with little or no experience, no proven depth at TE, an offensive line that will be learning one another, undersized defensive line that will have to learn to be creative to take advantage of opportunities, only one proven linebacker, and defensives back that have tons of talent but all seem to be missing "it" with the exception of Bartell and Atogwe (wait to see on Butler) ...

So, what does this mean? The talent is there, no doubt in my mind. So what does this coaching staff have to do? It's three-fold in my opinion ...

1. Make the players forget - Make them forget they are losers, start them off on a level playing field. Get them...
        -07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
      • RamsFanSam
        OK, convince me!
        by RamsFanSam
        I have read plenty of posts from people saying fans shouldn't look at the bright side of last night's defeat, that instead we should all don sackcloth and ashes, and mourn the death of the 2008 season for our Rams.

Convince me why I should!

I watched only the first quarter, but I did listen to the entire game. Of course, the TV broadcast was done by the Titans Network, meaning that the commentary was biased in favor of the Titans. The other 3 quarters was a mix of NFL's gamecenter and KTVI audio, niether of which was very good.

What I came out of the media barrage I witnessed is the following:

1. Marc looked a little rusty. Of course, considering that there was only TWO others on the offense who had ever played in Saunder's system, I expected to see some confusion. But, I guess that since Marc didn't launch a 99 yard Hail Mary for 6 on the first possession means that Marc is all washed up. After all, when a reciever isn't in the right place at the right time, it's always the QB's fault.

2. I also saw a really good defense beat our O-line. Considering that these front five guys have NEVER played a single game together before, We know it's all Pace's fault. He is all washed up, and we should have traded for Jake Long and then overpaid him to take Pace's spot.

3. I saw 2 passes go long, so long that no one on either team had a chance to get to them. It didn't matter that both times the recievers were double covered and had no chance in hell of breaking away, those recievers must suck, so we should have traded them for some untested rookie. Darn Linehan for drafting someone who has skills that our offense could use instead of some other rookie!

4. I saw our defense get beat up. Badly. Even though they made a solid stand in the red zone, we know they suck. It doesn't matter that some of our starters were out, we should have beaten the Titans back into the stone age with undersized, inexperienced rookies. It's all Haslett's fault for not having UFA's and rookies available that we can afford.

5. Our "wannabe's" didn't come back in the second half and win the game. Of course, they have had a whole 90 days or so to forget everything they ever learned about football just to learn football all over again. I forget that other millionaires such as Bill Gates have been there before. Didn't he have to forget everything he knew about Windows 98 to learn Windows XP in just 90 days? He didn't? Oh my. Those rookies and coaches have to go....NOW!

So, as you can see, I am NOT saying everything will be OK by next week. In fact, I'll be happy if we win 3 of our first 8, and come out 8-8 this season. I know all is not well in St. Louis as of yet, and I didn't expect it to be. Last year I had hope, because everything was in place. This year, we have a tougher schedule, most of our great players are either gone or they are getting...
        -08-10-2008, 03:41 PM
      • RamsFanSam
        Where do we go from here?
        by RamsFanSam
        Hello, fellow Rams fans and others. I've got a few minutes between drinking the first pot of coffee and taking out my two dogs, so I thought I'd post a few thoughts on here to ask "what next?".

In my home, the Rams aren't just a football team. They are a way of life. When an eight year old girl would rather watch the Rams play a game they will probably lose instead of Hannah Montana, then a father knows he is raising a child right.

So, we have gone from 8-8, to 3-13, to 2-14. We have changed coaching staff more often than some people change their oil. We can't seem to find the answers. But still, on any given Sunday, the Rams can look like the meanest team in the league for 50 or 55 minutes...then somehow, they blow it in the last few minutes of play. When I look back on the Rams teams from the last few years, I remember noticing a slow, steady decline. Sure, there were some bright spots - SJ and Bulger both looked fantastic just two seasons ago, Bartell looked like the miracle man this year, OJ has shined, but overall, the intensity of the entire team has faded. Much of this had to do with injuries - it's hard to keep your runningback in the game and your quarterback upright if your O line isn't blocking anyone. Those rare moments when the O line did mesh provided a chance for a big play, but something seemed to always go wrong. Our WR's had WD-40 on their hands, or a route was run in the wrong direction, or the QB was so gun shy that he just wanted to get rid of the ball before getting hit.

This year, it was different. We had all the pieces of the puzzle, but the guy who was trying to put it together didn't know how they fit together. Four games into the season, he was let go. The entire team seemed to change overnight. The swagger was back. The players no longer looked afraid of contact. We won a game against a better Washington team and stunned the league. One week later, we made Dallas a laughingstock. (Kind of like the Eagles did last night...hahahahahahahaha!!!!) People actually began to notice us!

Of course, we all hoped this was the real Rams, but most of us were careful. We'd been burned before, but those guys in Blue and Gold sure looked like winners!

Reality set in way too soon. We couldn't get a "W" the rest of the season. It sounds strange, but until week 9, we actually had a chance to make the playoffs with a 2-6 record. Of course, we all know how that story ends.

But are the Rams really as bad as Detroit? No. Not even close. Think about it. Most of the last 12 games, we were within reach of a win for at least half of the game. More than once, we were within minutes of a win - then disaster struck. Each game had ONE pivotal moment that I wish we could take back and do over. Yesterday, it was the onside kick being called back - OK, two moments: the lack of coverage on that long run. Yet, the Rams did not give up - not until...
        -12-29-2008, 07:28 AM
      • BIG-BLUE
        Steriods
        by BIG-BLUE
        Just wanted to find out every ones view point on the subject. And if you were the comm. how would you handle the problem?
        I look at Merrimen & think here is this up & coming superstar who had the NFL in his hands or so it seemed, young fast strong & talented & now he will be forever tainted.

I would love to see a plan put together that has the current 4 game suspension for first time offenders. Because everyone should get a second chance. But the second time its lights out, career done.

If we really want to stop this crap we have to hit them hard were it hurts the most, the pocket book, cuz bottom line its all about the mighty dollar.

Is this thought process to severe? what do you think?
        -11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
      • Varg6
        Would the Rams show fire if...
        by Varg6
        Someone threatened to kill themselves if they didn't win next Sunday?

Can this team show any intensity? Or care? If someone's life was at stake, would they care? Would they try...

In no way am I trying to be funny, because this is no laughing matter. This team is awful and my point is that we have many, many bad seeds that need to be cut. I can't see myself claiming more than 15 players on a 53 man roster to continue playing for this team. And I'm not sure if I'd even put Bulger (I think his career is over as a result of poor offensive line play, not because I don't think he was a great QB, just not anymore...) in the 15...

So, perhaps if someone's life was at stake, maybe they'd show some care for 4 quarters rather than when the game is already over. Garbage time, as so many of you have elegently put it.

We need this team sold, plain and simple.

Our season, our playoffs and Superbowl is unfortunately this offseason. If we don't make major smart, and professional changes fast, I don't think we'll be able to have a good team for another 5-10 years. I truly believe that this offseason is the time for the Rams to rebuild entirely. If we're going to spend the big bucks, it's now, this offseason.

I want to see trades, big FA acquisitions that make sense, big name draft picks that make sense and I want a new attitude to this lifeless team.

New owner, new FO, new coaches, new staff, and most importantly, new players.
        -11-23-2008, 02:19 PM
      Working...
      X