X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locker Room Quotes

QB Marc Bulger

(On Falcons’ QB Michael Vick)
    “He’s exciting. He can make plays. You can have the right defensive calls, but he can make plays. I know in college, my senior year, we had Virginia Tech beat, then on fourth-and-a-mile, he came through and made a play. He’s doing that in the NFL now, and he’s probably one of the top two-or-three athletes in the league. To be able to run and throw, and do the things he does, obviously, is fun to watch on television. But we have guys like that. Leonard (Little), I can’t believe some of the things he does. I think Mike Vick takes it to a whole new level.”

(On what he expects from the Atlanta defense)
    “They like to pressure a lot. When they get the momentum going, they get energized. You can see some more energy and confidence out of Atlanta than you have in the past.”

(On his confidence in the offense)
    “We’re fine. We have to get better. We’ll keep working at it and put a couple of new wrinkles in, and I’m sure we’ll get better.”

(On the play of RBs Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson)
    “They make it a heck of a lot easier. We have two backs now that can run the ball. Marshall seems to be healthy, so it will be nice to have both of those guys out of the backfield.”

(On if he was happy with how the game against Arizona went)
    “You always, being a quarterback, want to get the guys in the end-zone more. But we moved the ball well, and we had a ton of yards. It was balanced. It wasn’t just passing, and it wasn’t just running. So, I think the balance is a good thing. And the way our offensive line has come together, is a real positive.”

(On if the experience he has gained will help against Atlanta’s blitz)
    “I think (it will help). You never want to say that you are too prepared, but just seeing everything for a year has helped. You start to understand under-and-over fronts, the way safeties are moving, and different things like that. At the same time defensive coordinators realize that and they are going to try to bait you into different things, and attack your protections.”

DT Tyoka Jackson

(On Falcons’ QB Michael Vick)
    “He is probably the best athlete, pound-for-pound, in the league playing the quarterback position, which means he has the ball in his hand every single play. That puts a tremendous amount of stress on your defense, and you have to be really aware of your lanes, pursuit angles, and so forth. We have our work cut out for us. It’s going to be a challenge. They won a big game on the road against the *****, where it’s tough to win, and now they are coming home and feeling good about themselves. This is a huge game. His athletic ability and his will to compete (makes him special). He is not going to give up on a play. He could be on the way down, inches from the ground, and throw the ball. He will stay alive the entire play. You have to have him in the ground and wait for the whistle to blow before the plays over.”

(On the key to stopping Vick)
    “You can say you want to keep him in the pocket, but that’s easier said than done. Even when the pocket is beginning to close, he stays alive in the pocket, finding creases, just enough to throw through the passing lane. It’s tough. The thing is, you need to get him on the ground. When the whistle blows, you know he can’t hurt you anymore, and that’s what it’s all about. Getting pressure is big, getting around him is big, keeping him in the pocket is big, but if you don’t get him on the ground and he is on his two feet, he can hurt you.”

(On how Vick compares to former ***** quarterback Steve Young)
    “Very favorable. Obviously, nobody has been this fast, or brought this much speed, quickness, and athleticism to the position. But both are great athletes, and (Vick) will progress to be the passer that Steve was.”

(On DT Damione Lewis)
    “I said all preseason that that was the best I’ve seen him play, and (Sunday, against Arizona) might have been the best game, in terms of playing the run and the pass (that I’ve seen him play). The intensity and the hustle all game, that might have been the best game I’ve seen him play. But he’s just scratching the surface. The guy has so much potential, and you can see the light bulb start to come on. His confidence is growing.”

CB Jerametrius Butler

(On his confidence level)
    “I have more confidence now than last year, because last year was the first time I had started on opening day. This year was a home game and I had more confidence here as compared to last year when we started on the road. I’m a veteran now, and I’m just trying to help DeJuan Groce and Kevin Garrett.”

(On if he feels more responsible to be a leader with CB Travis Fisher out)
    “I try to help out, but Aeneas (Williams) is still the leader, he and (Adam) Archuleta. I just try to help out the corners whenever I can. If they have a question, I try to help them.”

DE Bryce Fisher

(On containing Vick)
    “If you try to contain him, he will eventually find a way out of there. All you can do is be in your rush lane, go as hard as you can, and when you get there, hold on. San Francisco did a great job of getting to him, brought him to the ground about four times, and caused a couple of fumbles. We need to repeat that kind of effort. You won’t get many chances to hit him, so whenever you get there, grab cloth and pull him down as best you can.”

(On trying to force turnovers)
    “That’s our goal every week, to try and get two or three turnovers. We didn’t last week, so our goal this week is to make up for that. We need to get our hands on balls. I don’t think the defensive line batted down a single ball, and that’s how turnovers happen.”

WR Isaac Bruce

(On the his performance in the game against Arizona)
    “It’s pretty much how we Scripted it. It put us a game up in the division, and we came out on a winning note. We expect a carry over.”

(On not rolling their coverage toward him during the game)
    “Anytime we run the football like we do, it’s going to be hard to roll the coverage my way or Torry’s (Holt) way. If we keep running the football, getting that offensive line pushing, and turning those backfields, we’re going to be successful in the passing game.”

(What Head Coach Jim Mora brings to the Atlanta defense)
    “He’s a guy that definitely know us, being from San Francisco, he’s had an opportunity to play us quite a bit. I’m sure he’s going to have something for us, I don’t really know what to expect, but I’m sure he’ll have some influence in the defense as far as getting them ready.”

(On the records being meaningful to him)
    “They mean a lot. Especially when I’m done playing, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. I’ll look at it when it’s over with.”

(On if he thinks he’s lost any speed the older he gets)
    “There’s a difference, but I look at the difference being positive. I work every offseason to improve quickness, so that’s my goal. So I believe that I improve quickness.”

(On the development of QB Marc Bulger as a quarterback)
    “He had a chance to sit behind an MVP for a couple of years, and now the reigns are handed over to him. He’s done an excellent job in having a short memory, he makes a good play, it’s over with, he makes a bad play, it’s over with. He’s doing a good job, he’s becoming a true professional at what he does.”

Atlanta Falcons Head Coach Jim Mora
    Wednesday, September 15, 2004

(On defending the Rams’ offense)
    “It is the ultimate challenge and it’s one of the reasons I like playing them so much. This will be the 15th time I have played them in the last seven years and every one has been a great challenge. They have, number one, great talent at all positions. Number two, a great scheme. I’ve always had so much respect for Mike Martz and the way he calls a game, in terms of staying aggressive. It really presents the ultimate challenge to you as a defensive coach. On one hand, you dread having to go into a dome and play those guys, and on the other hand, if you are a competitor, you look forward to it, because it’s the ultimate challenge.”

(On if he wants QB Michael Vick to run less)
    “No. I love it when he runs. I think it proposes a huge talent to defenses. All we are encouraging Mike to do is make good decisions when he runs. We don’t want him to feel like he has to take it to the house every time he runs or absorb vicious hits.”

(On his defensive philosophy)
    “To me it’s all about playing with passion, playing aggressive, playing hard. I don’t think that when you say that you’re going to be an aggressive defense, that means you are going to be a blitzing defense. I think it’s more an attitude than anything. I want our guys to play at maximum speed whenever possible. We want them to play at great effort. It’s like the St. Louis Rams’ defense. They don’t do a million different things, but what they do, they do very, very well and at full speed. That’s one of the things that helps you become efficient. Repetition, doing something so you understand the ins and outs of it, and you can do it full speed.”

(On having TE Alge Crumpler)
    “It is a great benefit. The guy is big, fast, physical, and he really catches the ball well. He can do a lot of things in the pass game. You can put him in different places, and he’s a good run blocker. He’s a real versatile presence. Its give you, and I’m sure it gives Mike Vick, confidence that we have big body in the middle to dump the ball to, to make a catch.”

(On Rams’ WR Isaac Bruce)
    “I get a kick out of people saying that (Bruce) and Marshall (Faulk) aren’t the same, and they’ve lost something. They haven’t lost anything. They are great athletes, great competitors, they take care of their bodies. (Bruce) might be my number one nemesis in the National Football League. I love him. I love playing against him. I love it when he walks into the huddle, looks over, and we share a little laugh. He’ll come by and say something. He’s just fun to play against because he’s a great competitor and a great person. He’ll give you fits.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Mora and Vick say:
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Jim Mora on his team’s recent transactions:
    “We made a couple of moves today on the offensive line. We put Mookie [Michael] Moore on injured/reserve with a shoulder. He completely tore that rotator cuff, so they’re going to have to do surgery and he’s going to be lost for the season. We brought [Jared] Peck up from the practice squad and then we signed Bubba. His name is Brandon Evans and he likes to go by Bubba. He played at the University of Houston and then he was with the Houston Texans. So those are the moves we made.”

Mora on how offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer is doing:
    “He’s doing good. He felt good today. He said he felt a lot better today than the did yesterday. That’s encouraging. We’re hopeful that he’ll be able to play on Sunday.”

Mora on which of Shaffer’s injury is worse – his knee or ribs:
    “I’m sure it’s probably a combination of both.”

Mora on the chance to play in front of the Georgia Dome crowd:
    “I know I am. Preseason is one thing and [the Dome] is not totally full. I think this Sunday it’ll be full and they’ll be jacked up. I’m really looking forward to it and I know the players are, too.”

Mora on what he takes from the win against San Francisco:
    “We’re so far past that. We’re on St. Louis. We’re so far past that game I can’t remember what happened in that game.”

Mora on St. Louis:
    “They’re outstanding. They won the NFC West last year, they got to the second round of the playoffs and lost the overtime game to Carolina on that cover two bust that they broke down the middle. They rushed for 170-something yards the other day, threw for 270-something. The only reason they didn’t score more points was because they had three turnovers. They’re a very good team. I’ve faced them…in the last seven years, this’ll be my 15th time facing them. They’re a very dangerous team.”

Mora on the importance of third down conversions against St. Louis:
    “It’s not necessarily the third down conversions. You just have to limit their chances. So that’s ball security, it’s controlling the football, it’s a lot of things. The kicking game. Not giving them long drives. All those things.”

Mora on what’s worked for him in his games against St. Louis:
    “They’re a team that can frustrate you because you can hang with them, hang with them, hang with them…think you’re doing pretty good and all of the sudden they just explode on you. They’ve got so many weapons and so much speed. One of the great things about their offense specifically, and moreso now even with their defense, is that they’ve played together a long time. They know where each other is going to be and then defensively, what they did was they went and drafted a bunch of guys and now they’re playing. So they’re as efficient on defense as they ever were on offense, which is a scary combination.”

Mora on St. Louis not allowing...
    -09-16-2004, 10:15 AM
  • RamWraith
    Open Locker Room
    by RamWraith
    Thursday, September 23, 2004

DT Ryan Pickett

(On the similarities between Saints’ QB Aaron Brooks and Falcons’ QB Michael Vick)
    “They are very similar in ways. They are both very athletic. I think Brooks has more of an arm, and is more of an accurate passer.”

(On how the Saints will play without RB Deuce McAllister)
    “Really, we haven’t even talked about that. They have a pretty good back-up running back in (Aaron) Stecker. So we need to watch for him. He’s not too far of a drop off from McAllister. He’s a very hard runner and pretty tough to tackle. He looked good on tape.”

S Rich Coady

(On starting against New Orleans)
    “Anytime you get a chance to go out there and start, and play the full game, it’s always better when you’re on the field rather than on the sideline.”

(On the opportunity to hit former teammate TE Ernie Conwell)
    “That would be nice. I’ve played against him in every practice for three or four years, so it would be nice to go live against him a little bit.”

(On the Saints playing without RB Deuce McAllister)
    “I think they can (still run the ball). Obviously, it hurts. Whenever you have an All-Pro running back that can’t play (it’s going to hurt).”

WR Isaac Bruce

(On playing the Saints)
    “We were watching some of the film from 2001. They used to be our division rival, it’s a big-time rivalry. These are games you always look forward to and they always have some excitement in it. I haven’t seen them in a while. Maybe once we are on the field it might spark something, rekindle something, and we’ll get after each other.”

(On how he and QB Marc Bulger are clicking)
    “I guess preparation is meeting opportunity, and our offensive line is giving him an opportunity to throw the ball down the field. I just need to keep getting open and making plays.”

(On the Saints’ secondary)
    “(Ashley Ambrose) is a smart guy, kind of like Aeneas (Williams). He’s going to be patient with you, make sure he takes the right angles, make sure he cuts you off at the top of your route, and he is going to be smart about what he does. He is going to make sure that everybody is lined up. You can pick that up watching film on him. He’s kind of a leader back there, and he makes sure everyone is where they are supposed to be. (CB Fred Thomas) is a high-energy guy. He can really get after it.”

(On if the referees have been looking for contact down field)
    “They have done a good job calling it, and teams have been respecting it.”

QB Marc Bulger

(On the difference between the Rams’ first and second game)
    “In some games you don’t get sacked a lot, but you get hit a lot. I can’t worry about that. We are playing fine, pass protection-wise. As...
    -09-24-2004, 05:03 AM
  • RamWraith
    Mike and the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, January 12, 2005

(Opening comments)
    “The only guy that is questionable would be DL Tyoka (Jackson) for this game. We’ve got some bumps, nicks, and bruises, but it’s two short weeks that we had, so to give them an extra day off I thought was important. So we are going to treat this week as a short week, so we will go Wednesday practice, Thursday (practice), and a shorter version of our Friday practice on Friday, and then travel down to play the game. RB Arlen Harris, we may or may not have him. We are not real sure with his hamstring (injury). At this point everybody else should be in pretty good shape for this game. We have the normal annoying injuries that most teams have at this time of year. This is a terrific opportunity for us. We are excited about the opportunity to go down there and play in the divisional playoffs. I think the challenge is obvious with QB Michael Vick and their offense. I said on the conference call a few minutes ago that, playing their offense is a little bit like trying to defend the option. You’ve got RB Warrick Dunn, you can hand that ball off, or you can bootleg, or throw the football. The threat to do all of those things in one play is unique to the National Football League. It really creates problems for us, and then everybody is scrambling to adjust to it. He’s such a terrific player, probably the best athlete in the league today. He is capable of single- handily beating you, as much as anyone I’ve seen in this league since I’ve been in it. He’s a lot of fun to watch. What a terrific player he is. We’ve got our work cut out for us. Defensively, I think their whole defensive line, their defensive front, is very active, and very physical. They are very, very well coached. They did a terrific job of adjusting. They are tenacious. They stay after you the entire time. They are a very well coached football team throughout, that’s one of the reasons why they are in it. They have good people. Their defensive line is one of more impressive groups, overall, that we’ve seen all year.”

(On what has been clicking on offense)
    “I think a lot of things. I think that when things calm down on the offensive line, you start to settle in on some personnel. With G Blaine (Saipaia) gaining more experience, and his play goes up every week. Having Tommy Nütten who has played an awful lot of games for us, and Super Bowls, having that calm down has had an enormous effect on our offense, and what we can do. Everything that we do, is predicated on that group up front. As they go, we go. If we can protect the quarterback, obviously, we had problems with New England, for instance. They were getting at us with a four-man rush. That’s tough duty to either run or throw the ball. We’ve come a long way on our offensive line. It’s remarkable if you consider all of the changes that have gone on, and the guys have done a terrific job...
    -01-13-2005, 04:41 AM
  • RamWraith
    Rams Q-and-A: Bulger, Holt, Little
    by RamWraith
    STLtoday.com Sports

Steven Jackson bumps Torry Holt after scoring a TD in the November game vs. Seattle.
    (Chris Lee/P-D)

Rams quarterback Marc Bulger discussed his team -– and what it must do against the Falcons -– during a news conference at Rams Park.

Here are some highlights:

On the earlier loss at Atlanta:

“They brought a lot of pressure, I remember that much. They did a real good job up front disrupting our timing. They did a real good job against the run. Obviously Michael Vick did what he wanted. We were in the game up there until the end of the third quarter, but they kind of took over and dominated halfway through the (fourth) quarter.”

On the Falcons defense:

“They have good players. Their linebackers come downhill. You’re not going to be able to hold the ball long. We beat the same team two years ago thirtysomething whatever to nothing. You have to give some credit to the new coaching staff that came in. Those guys play hard, they know what they are doing, they are very disciplined. They don’t take any plays off.”

On why the Rams offense is playing better:

“I think we're just scoring more points. The reason for that is, I don't know. We've been moving the ball all year. We've been getting a lot of yards, but we fizzled out in the red zone, or there have been turnovers, or we just haven't scored points. But now, to start putting the ball in the end zone, I think that's the main difference.

“They won’t confuse you. They pretty much line up and say these four guys are going to beat your five blockers. They’ve done a great job.”

On the progress being made by young receivers Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald:

“That's real evident on film. Watching from our first game against them, Shaun and Kevin really weren't a factor then. Now that we have four go-to guys, it's going to be a nice luxury. It will maybe take some pressure off, we can throw quicker routes, and maybe spread their defense out a little more.”

On why receiver Torry Holt keeps getting better:

“He's always had the physical talent to get things done, but now he just understands why we are doing things more. You are not in the quarterback meetings being a receiver, so they don't hear everything that Coach Martz is explaining to us, and why we are doing certain routes.

"But now that he's been in it four, five, six years, he's starting to understand why just from the experience of running each play, and hearing Coach maybe tell me about it. So he's starting to understand why he's doing things, therefore, if he needs to cut his route short, or maybe take it a yard or two deeper, he's doing those little things that are helping.”

On his chemistry with Holt:

“You can always get better....
    -01-13-2005, 02:01 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Thursday, September 30, 2004

(Injury update)
    “Chris Dishman is questionable. When they did the MRI here the other day, there was no damage to the capsule, fortunately, or to the muscle, or ligaments. It was just a strained capsule. We should be able to get him back in short order. Just how soon, I don’t know. How much he can do this week will probably be limited, we’ll just have to get a feel for that. Arlen Harris, who did play the rest of the game on a strained hamstring, is also listed as questionable, and we will just have to see where he is. I would expect we would have him in some capacity, but we’ll just have to see. Then Tony Newson, with the ankle sprain, what they call a ‘grade two’, is questionable, and probably, we won’t have him. We do get DeJuan Groce back. We do get Trev Faulk back. These two guys have looked real good here in the last few days, and Trev now is almost 100 percent with that hamstring (injury). And DeJuan, with that knee (injury), looks pretty good and should practice today. That helps us a great deal on defense with another linebacker and another corner.”

(On preparing for San Francisco)
    “San Francisco week, as you all know, is a special week for us. It’s a divisional game that has been our long-standing rivalry. We are excited about it. Defensively, they have done a good job over the years. They have really proven their speed defensively, probably over the last four or five years. Bryant Young, right now, is playing the best football that I have ever seen him play. He is absolutely outstanding. Obviously, Julian Peterson, Derek Smith, and (Jeff) Ulbrich, the linebacking crew is as good as you will find in football. I think they are outstanding. They have real good speed on defense, and they do a good job of matching up. Offensively, I would expect (Tim) Rattay to start at quarterback. Everything we hear, anyway, sounds like he will start. Kevan Barlow, as we all know, can be a very explosive and physical runner. He is a threat to go the distance at anytime. We have seen him do it. It doesn’t get any better than this. An old time rival, early in the season, at San Francisco, and it’s a Sunday night game. We’re excited about it.”

(On where S Aeneas Williams will be playing)
    “Aeneas will be going back to safety, with DeJuan Groce back at corner. Aeneas spent so much time getting himself ready to play safety, and has played so well in terms of his keys, breaks on the ball, lining guys up, making calls, and then to move out to corner is very disruptive. It’s a totally different world out there. That’s a hard thing to ask somebody to do, but we were at a bind at that point. Going back to safety, I’m sure he’s relieved. I haven’t talked to him about it, but I’m sure he’s excited. He had a lot of pass break-ups on plays where you didn’t expect a free safety to make a play, early in the year.”

(On if San Francisco’s...
    -09-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Working...
X