• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown ready to roll with Rams

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Sunday, Mar. 01 2009
    Begin with the premise that as a football player, you're supposed to be happy
    and excited after signing a huge free-agent contract.

Even so, center Jason Brown took it up a couple of notches at his introductory
    news conference as a St. Louis Ram. He's ready to roll up his sleeves and get
    going at the task of turning the Rams from also-rans to winners.

Immediately.

"I'm thinking about working right now," Brown said. "Because I know the
    challenges that we're going to have to overcome in order to be a great team
    this year."

Brown knows it can be done because he witnessed it in Baltimore where the
    Ravens went from 5-11 in 2007 to the AFC championship game in 2008 despite
    having a rookie head coach (John Harbaugh), a new offensive scheme and a rookie
    quarterback (Joe Flacco).

"All you guys have already discounted us," he told a group of reporters at Rams
    Park. "Just as the guys in Baltimore discounted my team last year. You know
    what they said: 'It's a brand new regime; it's a rebuilding phase. The best
    they're going to be is a .500 team.' "

Which pretty well sums up the picture for the 2009 Rams. Actually, they might
    hold a parade in Earth City if the Rams ended up 8-8 next season.

"There's the potential to do something special — to discount all you guys,"
    Brown insisted. "I'm telling you right now, we're going to be better than a
    .500 team."

Obviously, it's that kind of attitude that attracted the Rams to Brown, beyond
    his blocking skills.

"I'm fired up," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "What struck me first when I met
    him (Friday) morning was the person that he was. The things he said — he just
    spit out exactly what we're looking for. The team aspect. How unselfish he was
    as a player. Some of the things he went through in Baltimore. The things he
    shared with me. I'm very, very impressed with him.

"This is a quality guy. You talk about character and quality people that we
    wanted to add to this (team). I tell you what, unless we're way off, he fits it
    perfectly. He's very, very serious about his job. I could see that immediately
    when I met him. I think he's mature beyond his age."

Brown, 25, was one of the most highly regarded free agents in this year's pool
    regardless of position. Philadelphia, Washington and Miami were very interested
    in him. Baltimore, where he spent his first four NFL seasons, offered him a
    contract worth $6.25 million a year.

"To tell you the truth, I was hoping to stay at home with the Ravens," Brown
    said. "Many players would like to stay with the team that drafted them and
    finish their careers there. And I tell you what, we did something special with
    the Ravens last year. Unfortunately, there's a separation between business and
    the personal side of football."

For Brown, the business side meant signing a five-year, $37.5 million contract
    with the Rams — a deal that averages $7.5 million per year. Brown earns $20
    million in the first two years; $24 million in the first three. Of the $37.5
    million, $20 million is guaranteed.

He may be leaving his "home" with the Ravens, but he called his St. Louis-based
    agents, Harold Lewis and Kevin Omell, his extended family.

"It's funny," Brown said. "I was just thinking about (the movie) Jerry Maguire,
    because they are my ambassadors of 'quan.' They truly are."

There's no doubt that Lewis helped steer Brown to St. Louis. For one, Lewis
    wanted to get more clients at Rams Park. He has done very little business with
    the Rams since a falling out several years ago with Jay Zygmunt, the team's
    former president of football operations. For another, Lewis simply felt that
    St. Louis was the best fit for Brown and his family — both the city and the
    revamped Rams organization.

And from Brown's standpoint, it was important to get as good a deal as possible
    in his second contract as an NFL player. For many players, it's the best
    contract they'll get in their careers.

"It's extremely important," Brown said. "For many guys, this is what they call
    the 'bread and butter' (contract).''

Beyond the money, Brown's initial impression of Spagnuolo helped make it a fit
    in St. Louis.

"I can feel the energy and the radiance coming off of him," Brown said. "That's
    exactly what a brand new team needs in order to overcome all the adversity that
    we're going to face this year. You have to come in here ready to run through a
    brick wall."

Re: Brown ready to roll with Rams

This really yanked my chain this morning...

former president of football operations.

Say what?!! How many free agents have the Rams missed out on because this moron doesnt get along with thier agent?! Thank God this idiot is gone!!!!

Comment

Great article. Excited to see this guy in the horns!

Comment

Originally posted by stlramman View Post
        This really yanked my chain this morning...

former president of football operations.

Say what?!! How many free agents have the Rams missed out on because this moron doesnt get along with thier agent?! Thank God this idiot is gone!!!!
        This all stems from the Kevin Carter negotiations in which Lewis, who was Carter's agent, got very unprofessional, personal and went public with the negotiations. He called the Rams offer an insult and slap in the face, which was ludicrous since the Rams were offering to make Carter one of the highest paid defensive players in the game at the time. Zygmunt always refused comment during that period but Martz didn't. Martz took it personally too and went after Carter in the press as well.

It is amusing to watch some act as if situations like this, where teams prefer dealing with some agents over others, doesn't exist across the board in the NFL. Many teams blackballed the Postons but Zygmunt and the Rams obviously still tried to deal with them. I've read that some teams try to avoid dealing with Rosenhaus players when possible, though have never read that about the Rams. Some agents, such as Marshall Faulk's agent Rocky Arceneaux, have sung Zygmunt's praises. So if you're going to ask the question of how many free agents have the Rams missed on because of strained relationships with players agents, you really ought to be prepared to ask that of every team.

Comment

Originally posted by HornIt View Post
          This all stems from the Kevin Carter negotiations in which Lewis, who was Carter's agent, got very unprofessional, personal and went public with the negotiations. He called the Rams offer an insult and slap in the face, which was ludicrous since the Rams were offering to make Carter one of the highest paid defensive players in the game at the time. Zygmunt always refused comment during that period but Martz didn't. Martz took it personally too and went after Carter in the press as well.

It is amusing to watch some act as if situations like this, where teams prefer dealing with some agents over others, doesn't exist across the board in the NFL. Many teams blackballed the Postons but Zygmunt and the Rams obviously still tried to deal with them. I've read that some teams try to avoid dealing with Rosenhaus players when possible, though have never read that about the Rams. Some agents, such as Marshall Faulk's agent Rocky Arceneaux, have sung Zygmunt's praises. So if you're going to ask the question of how many free agents have the Rams missed on because of strained relationships with players agents, you really ought to be prepared to ask that of every team.
          Good point. Never really thought of that, i am sure that does go on in the NFL. Just kinda ticked me off this morning and i am still real glad that moron is gone lol.

Comment

Originally posted by stlramman View Post
            Good point. Never really thought of that, i am sure that does go on in the NFL. Just kinda ticked me off this morning and i am still real glad that moron is gone lol.
            I agree Zygiee is an Idiot he needs to get a blanket party.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
              Newest St. Louis Ram Jason Brown scores big in the pocketboook and on the charisma sc
              by RamWraith
              02.28.2009 6:59 pm

By: Jim Thomas
              St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The Rams’ new center, Jason Brown, held his introductory press conference Saturday evening at Rams Park, and as they say in the TV business _ he’s quite the sound bite.

Brown has a wife who’s about to become a dentist, just became $37.5 million richer, is glib as can be. . .and apparently the guy can block a little bit, too.

Some highlights from his media session:

_ On running back Steven Jackson: “I see film of Steven and I tell myself _ ’Wow!’ . . .We’ll have a dominating running game.”

_ On ending his tenure in Baltimore: “I was hoping to stay at home with the Ravens. . . .Unfortunately, there’s a separation between business and the personal side of football.”

_ On his St. Louis-based agents, Harold Lewis and Kevin Omell, who helped steer him to the Rams: “It’s funny. I was just thinking about Jerry Maquire, because they are my ambassadors of quan.”

That’s because the Rams showed him the money. The five-year deal pays Brown $20 million in the first two years and $24 over the first three years.

Brown said he could feel the “energy and radiance” coming off coach Steve Spagnuolo. He said the Rams will finish better than 8-8 in 2009, and said he can’t wait to get into the weight room. (The Rams’ official offseason conditioning program begins March 16.)
              -03-01-2009, 05:28 AM
            • Tampa_Ram
              Rams Cutting Jason Brown
              by Tampa_Ram
              Source: Rams cutting Jason Brown
              by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, March 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm ET

Jason Brown Profile

St. Louis Rams center Jason Brown has been informed by coach Jeff Fisher that he'll be released today, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The Rams abruptly replaced Brown with Tony Wragge at the end of last season despite Brown receiving high blocking grades from the coaching staff.

Brown joined the Rams three years ago when he was signed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract that included $20 million in guaranteed money and made him the highest-paid center in the game.

Under the terms of that deal, he's due a $5 million base salary and carries a $7.2 million salary-cap figure for next season.

He started 46 games in three seasons for the Rams.

A former Baltimore Ravens fourth-round draft pick from North Carolina, Brown, 28, has started 91 career games.

The 6-foot-3, 320-pounder has built a reputation for his leverage, strength and technique.
              -03-12-2012, 01:11 PM
            • r8rh8rmike
              Brown Embraces Role As Man In The Middle
              by r8rh8rmike
              Brown Embraces Role as Man in the Middle
              Wednesday, November 18, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
              Senior Writer

Whether it’s a regular practice repetition during the week or an important play late in a crucial game, Jason Brown’s booming voice can often be heard barking at whoever it is that has the unfortunate job of spotting the football before a play.

“I yell this out a lot and everybody looks at me like I am crazy but I do it to set the tempo,” Brown said. “We have to have an attitude in attacking every play with a passion. So one thing I do whenever we start a drill, one of our equipment guys, Matt, that lays the balls down for us, I yell at him ‘PUT THAT BALL DOWN’ and I repeat it and everybody is like ‘Yeah, where is the ball?’ Let’s get in the huddle and get fired up. Sometimes I do that in game situations as well and it’s funny because the ref is supposed to hurry up, spot the ball and get out of the way. I will yell at him too.”

Don’t worry; Brown isn’t going to draw a flag for any of his pre snap antics. While he says it mostly in joking terms, Brown isn’t trying to make anyone laugh and he certainly isn’t trying to antagonize anyone.

Instead, Brown is doing what he believes is an important part of one of the most responsibility-laden positions on the field. He’s setting the pace and the tone. He’s attacking the game with the verve and zest that comes with being with one of the league’s best centers and one of the Rams’ most respected leaders.

Brown’s yelling about the ball is just one of many small things he can do to lead his teammates and establish a pace that he believes can translate into offensive success.

“There are a lot of things I try to bring no matter how little they seem or how funny they seem,” Brown said.

FINDING A CENTERPIECE

Since the departure of fan favorite Andy McCollum a few years ago, the Rams have found themselves in search of a center capable of bringing stability to the position.

In the past few years, the center position has become one of the most important on the field. Offensively, only a quarterback has more responsibilities and needs to know more than the center.

Like the evolution of the left tackle back in the 1980s when Lawrence Taylor and a new breed of pass rushers were wreaking havoc on quarterbacks all over the league, the center has become the new vogue position on the offensive line.

So when the Rams hit the free agent market back in March, they quickly identified Brown as target No. 1 for their rebuilding offensive line.

“You really want to be strong up the middle and he has brought stability to our offensive line,” offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said. “He has done a nice job with the calls and the quarterback, the center, the tailback, those are important, key pieces to an offense...
              -11-19-2009, 01:11 PM
            • lostsoul
              Good Article on Jason Brown
              by lostsoul
              NFL - Rams center Jason Brown grieves his brother's death in Iraq - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

Good Article on Jason Brown

SOMETIMES JASON BROWN'S HANDSHAKES
              last a beat longer. It doesn't happen often. Brown, the Rams center, shakes a lot of hands -- those of fans, reporters, sponsors, marketers, anyone who wants a minute. Today, after an August practice, a group of soldiers dressed in fatigues and holding cameras and Sharpies waits to meet the team. Brown enters the line, filthy and wet, with dried blood on his knuckles and grass stuck to his limbs. Other Rams quickly cycle though the soldiers. After a decade of wars, most athletes have the routine down: grip, pump, pose, thank the "real heroes" for "keeping our country safe" and move on. That's not how Brown operates. He extends his right hand to the first soldier in line, an Air Force vet who's in his 20s. "It's an honor to meet you," the soldier says. Brown's left hand secures the troop's shoulder, and he smiles. "Thank you for your service," he says. Before Brown releases his grip, he spends a moment looking into the soldier's eyes, and his mind slips very far away.

A FOOTBALL TEAM is not a haven of worldly perspective. Most of the guys in the locker room are perfectly aware that their work is insignificant compared with that of those who fight wars. But to do their jobs, to keep from losing focus, they have to bury this awareness, the same way New Yorkers learn to walk past the homeless on their way to work. Football, after all, is an instrument that helps both players and fans forget about the real world.

Jason Brown's problem? Football only makes him remember.

On the surface, Brown has much to celebrate. At 28, he's one of the NFL's best centers on a young, playoff-ready team. He's in the third season of a five-year, $37.5 million contract, which drew him away from the Ravens in 2009. At 6'3", 328 pounds, he is stout with a low center of gravity, but he's also lithe enough to pull on runs and smart enough to read fronts and coverages.

Plus, Brown has great teeth. His wife, Tay, whom Jason married before his junior year at North Carolina, is a dentist. To his teammates, Brown is known as a good man, a man of God, a man whose deep voice and ruffled beard earned him the nickname Chef, after the character from South Park. But he's perhaps best known for flossing. Brown brings a bag of floss picks to meetings, and the linemen analyze video to the snap and pop of tartar-stained nylon. "They've got the best dental hygiene on the team," says running back Steven Jackson.

All in all, as he prepares for his seventh season, Brown can't quibble with the life football has given to him. "You want your cup to overflow," he says as he sits on a bench near the Rams' practice fields. "My cup is causing a flood."

Yet it's...
              -09-09-2011, 01:31 PM
            • RamWraith
              Brown expects some boos
              by RamWraith
              By Jim Thomas
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
              Friday, Sep. 19 2008
              Josh Brown had his own radio show and television show in Seattle. He was active
              in the community, involved in charity work.

He had some kind of relationship with country music star (and fellow Oklahoman)
              Carrie Underwood. And he was recognized all over the Emerald City when he
              wasn't being confused with teammate Matt Hasselbeck.

In short, there probably wasn't a more popular place-kicker in the National
              Football League than Brown in Seattle when he kicked for the Seahawks.

But then it happened. On the first day of free agency, Brown flew into St.
              Louis and signed the richest contract for a kicker in league history: five
              years, $14.2 million, with a $4 million signing bonus.

Seahawks fans reacted like spurned lovers.

A Seattle radio station played a remix of a Brown interview after signing with
              St. Louis. Repeated over and over were these Brown sound bites: "I'm not a
              prisoner to the business man" and "It's about winning."

Playing in the background was the Puff Daddy song, "It's All About the
              Benjamins."

Not long thereafter, Brown received a package in the mail from Washington.
              Enclosed was a Josh Brown Seahawks jersey — kids size. Written in permanent
              marker over the jersey number — front and back — was the word "Traitor." No
              note was attached, just the "Traitor" jersey. Brown keeps it in his locker
              stall at Rams Park for motivation.

Even Seattle coach Mike Holmgren got in the act Wednesday during a conference
              call with St. Louis reporters. Asked what kind of reaction Brown will get
              Sunday at Qwest Field when the Rams visit Seattle, Holmgren replied, "I'm not
              going to tell you, but I kind of think I know what reaction he's going to get.
              He was a very popular guy here, and I think he broke a lot of hearts when he
              left. Let me just leave it at that."

Hasselbeck wasn't as coy.

"They'll boo him and they'll throw things at him," Hasselbeck said, only partly
              in jest. "They'll probably make him cry, to be honest. I know Josh. They'll
              probably make him cry."

Brown doesn't sound worried.

"I think that's Matthew trying to get smart," Brown said. "Matthew and I, we go
              back, and we're pretty good buddies. We've kind of taken our shots at each
              other here in the last day or so, and we keep giving each other ribbings on
              text messaging. But I am looking forward to being energized by the energy that
              crowd puts off. And I hope that my team has the same perspective."

Then in a not-so-veiled shot at Rams fans from Sunday's 41-13 loss...
              -09-19-2008, 05:11 AM
            Working...
            X