Clear All
  • Nick
    Rams Nation MVP
    • May 2004

He Is Only 26

He Is Only 26
    Sep 14, 2004
    By Jared Balzer / GridIronGateway.com

The Ram’s ended their season on an interception thrown by Marc Bulger, at least that is the easy way to look at it. Nobody says it ended on a pass not caught by Torry Holt, or a tackle not made by Jason Sehorn. Holt’s and Sehorn's name may be mentioned but Bulger gets all the blame. How does over 60 minutes of game play get balled up into one play? Was their not other opportunities for the TEAM to win the game, or did Bulger spoil those chances as well?

Bulger has played in 22 regular season games in his career, not counting this season’s opener. Within those games, he holds an 87.2 quarterback rating, completing 63.5% of his passes, and throwing for 258 yards per game. He has also thrown 38 touchdowns for an average of 1.6 a game, not bad for his first two years. What people tend to focus on are his 28 interceptions, 22 of those were in his 15 games played in 2003.

Now let us see what the leagues favorite quarterback displayed in his first two starting seasons, we will not count his first year with the falcons because he never started. In Brett Favre’s First Two Seasons He Had A Rating Of 78.75, completing 62.4% of his passes, and throwing for 210 yards a game. Throwing 37 touchdowns and 37 interceptions. This is all over a 31 game, 2-year span. In Favre’s second countable year he threw 19 touchdowns and 24 interceptions. Bulger did 22 and 22. Fewer interceptions, more touchdowns, and better ratio.

Now let me get off on a better foot. I am not saying Bulger is better than Favre, nor will be better than Favre but who is to say. What I am saying, is that Bulger is only 26.. Everyone is on his case, but they do not realize he is still a baby, to this leagues standards. You expect these reactions from a spoiled city. We have great sports here in St. Louis and its obvious no one likes to lose, okay we hate losing especially when it is ugly.

Many of the NFL successful quarterbacks did not get a single speck of grass or dirt on their jerseys until after their first years. Despite Bugler’s high number of interceptions he has had a better first two years than most quarterbacks. Bulger quite possibly may be a very good quarterback, but we already know greatness does not happen overnight. It takes time, practice, and game experience. What does not help is having a coach in Mike Martz, who does not attack the problem in the best way. I understand not wanting to hold him back, but something has to be done to correct his bad decisions. Making it to the playoffs in your first full season is a great start. If I could place a bet on Bulger nearly cutting his interceptions in half from last year I would put the bank on it. Many of his interceptions are controlled mistakes, which have the opportunity for correction, and St. Louis will have a premier quarterback that will bring us many winning seasons.

After all that is what the game is about not the numbers, but about winning. And Bulger continues to do that.

By Jared Balzer
  • HUbison
    Rams Nation MVP
    • May 2004

Re: He Is Only 26

He Is Only 26 Sep 14, 2004
    By Jared Balzer / GridIronGateway.com
    Howard got a brother writing now?
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

• txramsfan
      • May 2001

It's his son.....

Comment

• AvengerRam_old
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2004

And how old is he?

Comment

• Nick
          Rams Nation MVP
          • May 2004

I don't know. I didn't order his dating service tape, just copied the article. ;)

Comment

Nick , I get your frustration and it's as well said , when our line stunk up the field it was Warners fault! But i'm not going there today. Bulger wins, but have you noticed he hasn't put away a game in some time. Not only that, he can barely bring this team back to beat a worthless Cards team. Same as last year,he only pulled out games on weak teams that we should have killed! I'm not sold on Bulger and I still feel we let the wrong guy go. But for the most part, I don't have the confidense in him like I had in Kurt! For some reason when Kurt got the ball it was a great chance something would happen. Not now with Bulger. We will never get another Warner and Bulger really isn't even close. Listen to what I say-------Bulger will never win us the BOWL. He doesn't have that killer instinct! Why he is the starter,I don't know and it is my opinion so don't take offense(SP) to what I say.The guy is blah and he plays blah and we don't have that kind of defense to win the BOWL with a blah QB.So the bad sides of him are gonna show more than the good! :upset: Oh yeah, I guess I did get into that kurt thing ! :redface:

Comment

• Nick
              Rams Nation MVP
              • May 2004

You're certainly welcome to your opinions, theodus.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ramsanddodgers
                Bulger Supporters Unite!
                by ramsanddodgers
                http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...A?OpenDocument

Bulger's impact may catch up to his stats

BY DAN POMPEI
                THE SPORTING NEWS
                11/15/2006

If Marc Bulger were any further under the radar, he would be beneath the planet's upper and lower mantles, somewhere near the earth's outer core.

He gets noticed as much as beige walls. Talked about as frequently as a deep, dark secret. Gets as much exposure as feet in the winter.

Bulger doesn't look or act like a big-time quarterback when he's not under center. He's a 2000 sixth-round pick who was cut by three teams (once by the Rams). He lights up a scoreboard but not the locker room.

It's easy to forget Bulger was once the Pro Bowl's most outstanding player. And that he has thrown for as many yards in a Rams uniform as Kurt Warner did.

There's something different about Bulger this season, and it is underscored by this incredible statistic: He has thrown one interception for every 165 attempts. In Bulger's career before this season, he had thrown one interception for every 29.8 attempts. So it would be fair to say he has acclimated quite well to new coach Scott Linehan's offense.

Though the numbers argue he has been one of the finest passers in the NFL, his impact on the team does not make the same argument. The Rams have dropped four straight games, and their loss to the Seahawks on Sunday just about ended their hopes of winning the NFC West.

So are the Rams better served by the Bulger who is obsessed with avoiding interceptions than they were by the Bulger who was obsessed with scoring touchdowns?

Bulger can't be blamed for the Rams' losses. But he also can't be credited with making them win. Bulger's regular-season winning percentage under former coach Mike Martz (not including games Martz missed last season) was .682. His winning percentage under Linehan is .444.

The Rams' record (4-5) and Bulger's passer rating (98.0) are incongruous. The league's other top-rated passers -- Peyton Manning, Damon Huard, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers and Drew Brees -- all play on teams with winning records.

It's unfair to pin a winning percentage on a quarterback alone, and it's too early to make any sweeping conclusions about the Rams' changes. But this much is certain: Bulger has played at a high level in both systems -- which might say more about him than the offenses.

"He can pretty much play in any offense and excel in it," Rams receiver Isaac Bruce says.

When Linehan told him the risk was not worth the reward, Bulger adapted his game. And it's a good thing because this Rams team isn't good enough to overcome turnovers.

There are three components to Bulger's ability to keep balls away from defenders. First,...
                -11-15-2006, 07:31 PM
              • RamWraith
                Bulger's impact may catch up to his stats
                by RamWraith
                BY DAN POMPEI
                THE SPORTING NEWS
                Wednesday, Nov. 15 2006

If Marc Bulger were any further under the radar, he would be beneath the
                planet's upper and lower mantles, somewhere near the earth's outer core.

He gets noticed as much as beige walls. Talked about as frequently as a deep,
                dark secret. Gets as much exposure as feet in the winter.

Bulger doesn't look or act like a big-time quarterback when he's not under
                center. He's a 2000 sixth-round pick who was cut by three teams (once by the
                Rams). He lights up a scoreboard but not the locker room.

It's easy to forget Bulger was once the Pro Bowl's most outstanding player. And
                that he has thrown for as many yards in a Rams uniform as Kurt Warner did.

There's something different about Bulger this season, and it is underscored by
                this incredible statistic: He has thrown one interception for every 165
                attempts. In Bulger's career before this season, he had thrown one interception
                for every 29.8 attempts. So it would be fair to say he has acclimated quite
                well to new coach Scott Linehan's offense.

Though the numbers argue he has been one of the finest passers in the NFL, his
                impact on the team does not make the same argument. The Rams have dropped four
                straight games, and their loss to the Seahawks on Sunday just about ended their
                hopes of winning the NFC West.

So are the Rams better served by the Bulger who is obsessed with avoiding
                interceptions than they were by the Bulger who was obsessed with scoring
                touchdowns?

Bulger can't be blamed for the Rams' losses. But he also can't be credited with
                making them win. Bulger's regular-season winning percentage under former coach
                Mike Martz (not including games Martz missed last season) was .682. His winning
                percentage under Linehan is .444.

The Rams' record (4-5) and Bulger's passer rating (98.0) are incongruous. The
                league's other top-rated passers -- Peyton Manning, Damon Huard, Donovan
                McNabb, Philip Rivers and Drew Brees -- all play on teams with winning records.

It's unfair to pin a winning percentage on a quarterback alone, and it's too
                early to make any sweeping conclusions about the Rams' changes. But this much
                is certain: Bulger has played at a high level in both systems -- which might
                say more about him than the offenses.

"He can pretty much play in any offense and excel in it," Rams receiver Isaac
                Bruce says.

When Linehan told him the risk was not worth the reward, Bulger adapted his
                game. And it's a good thing because this Rams team isn't good enough to
                overcome turnovers.

There are three components to Bulger's ability to keep balls away...
                -11-16-2006, 05:21 AM
              • RamWraith
                Bulger Proves Playoff Worthy
                by RamWraith
                Monday, January 10, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
                Staff Writer

SEATTLE - As Rams’ quarterback Marc Bulger strolled out of Rams Park last week; he carried with him more than just the team’s MVP award and captain’s trophy.

Resting squarely on Bulger’s shoulders, well, right shoulder to be exact, sat the weight of the pressure from St. Louis fans everywhere. Pressure to play well, pressure to throw well and, most of all, pressure to win. That stress has been there from the first day of Bulger’s reign as the team’s quarterback.

After leading the Rams to the playoffs for the second straight season, Bulger was now being asked to get his first win where it counts most; the playoffs.

So, how does Bulger handle the expectations? The same way he handles all pressure. With the cool, calm demeanor of a guy who has nothing to prove to anyone.

Bulger isn’t concerned with validating his career or his position among the league’s elite quarterbacks. He just wants to do what he always wants to do.

“I don’t care about one playoff win or just saying I get one,” Bulger said last week. “My goal is to win the Super Bowl and it is every year. That’s all I’ll ever play for. Just so I don’t have to deal with the question or whatever, I could care less about that. You’re going to deal with questions every year whether it’s postseason or whether you can stay healthy or whether you’re throwing too many interceptions. There is always going to be something, but I think everyone on our team, that’s why we play, to win the Super Bowl.”

The Rams took their first step toward reaching that goal Saturday when Bulger led them to a 27-20 win against Seattle at Qwest Field. In the process, Bulger might have eliminated any lingering demons and doubts from last year’s playoff loss to Carolina.

Bulger was as cool and collected as it gets, throwing for 313 yards and a pair of touchdowns against the Seahawks. He was, as usual, at his best at the most important times. On the final two drives, Bulger was five-of-seven for 80 yards, resulting in 10 points.

Those 10 points won the game for St. Louis. Humble as usual after the game, Bulger’s tune had not changed.

"I don't care," Bulger said. "Like I told you, it's not about me winning a playoff game. As long as I played as well as good as I could have, then I wouldn't care. There’s so many factors that go into a quarterback winning games that it’s not him winning games. It’s not him losing games, but so be it. It’s not about that."

Growing up in Pittsburgh, where he attended the same high school as Hall of Famer Dan Marino, Bulger got to see his hero battle the same questions about validating a career by winning the big one.
                As a quarterback, Bulger will indeed, always face questions about his playoff record. Some of the best quarterbacks in history...
                -01-11-2005, 05:10 AM
              • RamWraith
                Marc Bulger has lost the touch as Rams quarterback
                by RamWraith
                By Bernie Miklasz
                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                Monday, Dec. 01 2008
                Fighting hard all afternoon and poised to spring an upset, the Rams needed
                someone to step forward, make a play and steal Sunday from the Miami Dolphins.

Miami's precarious 16-12 lead was hanging within reach, an easy capture. The
                Rams required a singular act of brilliance. Someone who could convert hope into
                victory by offering a few seconds of Joe Montana, a two-minute tribute to John
                Unitas, a mad dash of Roger Staubach or a touch of John Elway's golden arm.

Just one magic moment.

The Rams were down by less than a touchdown throughout the entire second half.
                They had some things working in their favor. The running attack was boosted by
                the return of Steven Jackson, the pass protection was solid and the defense
                repeatedly made stops.

Now it was time for a winner to sign in and take over. The money quarterbacks
                live for these situations. Give them the ball and a chance and they'll take
                care of the rest. Their careers are defined by these late, daring, all-in bids
                at the final poker table.

And then there is Marc Bulger.

Who can't help what he is.

Bulger had the magic stomped out of him a long time ago.

Bulger has been drained of the possibility of summoning Montana, Staubach or
                Elway — if even for just one clutch throw.

If Bulger is Unitas, he's the sad Johnny U. we saw in the San Diego Chargers
                uniform, taking a whupping in the final phase of his career.

Bulger was back on the field Sunday, a week after having his brain scrambled by
                the Chicago Bears.

Put it this way: A boxing commission wouldn't have allowed the man to step into
                the ring.

So we don't have to remind you how things turned out, right?

Three second-half interceptions, and only 16 completions in 35 attempts overall
                for 149 skimpy yards.

A QB rating of 22.2 for the afternoon.

Bulger was unable to emerge from the fog and make a play when his team needed
                it most.

The outcome was as predictable as the tendencies picked up by appreciative
                Dolphins defenders. "A lot of the time their quarterback would stare down a
                guy, and it gave our guys a chance to get in the passing window and make a
                play," Miami cornerback Renaldo Hill said. "It seemed like when he had
                (receivers) locked in, you knew the ball was going there if you could just get
                a jump or take a gamble here and there. Because you know where the ball was
                going. He wasn't doing much looking off."

Other than getting a chance to play against the Mizzou secondary each Sunday, I
                don't know how Bulger can pull out of this two-season...
                -12-01-2008, 05:08 AM
              • RamsFan16
                Facing skeptics is nothing new for Bulger
                by RamsFan16
                Facing skeptics is nothing new for Bulger
                By Bryan Burwell
                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                06/14/2006
                Bryan Burwell
                Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
                [More columns]

As he walked the quiet hallways of Rams Park on Saturday afternoon during a break between the grinding, two-a-day minicamp workouts, Marc Bulger noticed a rather odd sight tucked in a corner behind one of the upholstered chairs in the facility's back lobby.

It was a rather large, unidentified body lying on his side, nestled firmly against the wall. Whoever it was - and Bulger naturally assumed it was an exhausted rookie trying to steal away a quickie nap before another two-hour practice session - his body was coiled in a fetal position, sound asleep on the carpeted floor.

"That should be me," Bulger chuckled. "But I'm the starting quarterback, and I guess we're not allowed to sleep."

In his sixth season with the Rams and his fourth as a full-time starter, Bulger doesn't have time to sleep. He has a new offense to master, a new head coach to impress and a few misperceptions to dispel. Bulger has spent the last six months healing from a chronic shoulder injury, devouring Scott Linehan's new playbook and wondering whether his new boss holds him in high regard.

Advertisement

Just before the NFL draft, the Rams floated the notion that they might use their first-round draft choice to pick a strong-armed quarterback, even though Bulger is a former Pro Bowl passer with the sixth-highest career passer efficiency rating in NFL history. He heard Linehan talking glowingly about Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler, and Bulger wondered whether this was a legitimate courtship or merely a pre-draft bluff.

"At first I didn't care what (Linehan) was saying," Bulger said. "Because even if they drafted him, I didn't care because no rookie's going to come in here and beat me out. I've been through stuff like this every step of the way in my career. Someone's always underrating me. Someone's always devaluing me. Maybe it's because I'm not flashy enough. Maybe it's because they think I'm not tall enough, strong enough, fast enough. I don't know.

"In college (West Virginia), the entire time I was there, they kept bringing people in to try and replace me. Eleven guys were recruited at quarterback while I was there. ... One year, they even tried to convert (Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker) Joey Porter into a quarterback."

"I'm used to it. I can handle it," he said. "But the only problem I have is when it starts eroding the confidence that my teammates might have in me. If they read it in the papers, if they see it on TV, when do they start questioning if I'm their quarterback?"

Sure enough, on draft day, there was Torry Holt, Bulger's Pro Bowl partner in crime, the Rams' top...
                -06-14-2006, 09:03 AM
              Working...
              X